Dedicated to the Man Who Saved My Life

Nearly twenty-two years ago, I was sitting in a prison cell, looking at the wrong end of a forty-year sentence for a crime I did not commit.

My wife appeared one day and informed me that I had lost my appeal in the Indiana Supreme Court and that since I had a 40 year sentence, she was going to get on with her life and file for divorce.  It was not a good day, to say the least.  The next day, my wonderful father visited me and said “Son, you’ve got a mountain to move and you are going to have to do it yourself.”  Badger, Roger and a few others know me as “mover” (as in Mountainmover) and now you know where the name comes from.photo 2

I was a plumber in prison.  I had a top-paying job doing that ($1.25 a/day).  When I lost my appeal, I went to my boss/guard and said “Glen, I need you to do me a big favor.” See, I had been relying on my attorneys to get me out, but little did I know then (I understand it now) that it would have been political suicide for an attorney to expose a corrupt judge, prosecutor and police department in a “righteous little city – Anderson, Indiana”.

The favor I asked of Glen was that he call every favor and pull every string he could to get me a job in the Prison Law Library.  The next day, I was working in the law library.  I don’t know what he did, but he saved my life.  It took me 13 months of 18 hour days to file my appeal, but then I took on the State of Indiana and kicked their asses!   On August 31, 1994, a judge ordered my handcuffs and shackles removed and I walked out of the courtroom a free man with my record expunged.

I couldn’t have moved that mountain without Glen.  Thank you, Glen, from the bottom of my heart!  The above picture was taken last Sunday.  I have only seen Glen 4 or 5 times in the last 22 years, but we are brothers forever.  We were together Sunday at the funeral of Glen’s wife.  There was no question that I would come.  It was understood.  His wife, Patty, was diagnosed with terminal cancer early this year and he took seven months off work to be with her in he final days.  She died in his arms.

Glen wasn’t a guard long, just long enough to help me get to where I could move a mountain.  He was one of the angels I met along the way through the bowels of Hell.  Since then, I have a wonderful life, gorgeous wife, beautiful family, precious grandkids and I am President of a International Company that is growing exponentially.  Life is good, but it all started with Glen Griggs, the man who saved my life.

Glen Griggs is a REAL, GOOD, MAN and I hope 2014 is a year of healing for him.  I’m here for you, Brother!  You really saved my life – Thank You!

62 Responses to “Dedicated to the Man Who Saved My Life”

Amazing. Motivational. I don’ know you, but I respect you for doing all that.

To all of you on this board which I visit every day (or maybe 16 times a day), Happy New Year! May we all finally get our World Series rings that we so rightly deserve 10 months from now!

Getting to know the politically polluted justice system myself this past year. You are indeed one of the fortunate.

3. Watford Dodger says:

Wow

4. Watford Dodger says:

Mark you are a great writer. Why would you want to give it up?

Watford,

It took me 2 hours to write that. I don’t have time. Maybe some day…

Just not now.

Not giving it up – I just have to prioritize!

Makes me want to re-watch that classic film: I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, 1932 with Paul Muni.

Paul and Mark are brothers who have never met, but both finally get their day . . .

And in 1932, Al Lopez was the Dodger catcher,

High Pockets Kelly at 1b,

Tony Cuccinello and 2b,

Glenn Wright at SS,

Joe Stripp at 3b,

Danny Taylor in the OF,

Lefty O’Doul & Hack Wilson in the OF

Pitchers: Watty Clark was 20-12; Van Mungo was 13-11, Dazzy Vance was 12-11, and Sloppy Thurston was 12-8. Interesting, Watty Clark started 36 games out of the 154.

Waite Hoyt was on that team at age 32 and started 4 games.

Hack Wilson led the team with 23 HRs and 123 RBI in, remember 154 games (and Hack Wilson played in only 135 games)

Doesn’t feel new. Maybe I need to give it a couple more hours.

8. Pete M. says:

Wow… A moving story…So easy to give up but your unwavering faith overcame all odds…

btw, if you told me what you were actually convicted of I have forgotten. Maybe you could remind me?

Very inspiring story. And while I’m sure those 13 months of 18 hour days, at least to a certain degree, helped keep your mind away from the drudgery, AND WORSE, of daily prison life, I’m also sure that your description doesn’t do justice to how difficult they really were. And as for Glen, his act of kindness reminds me of how important it always is to be helpful to others at every opportunity. One simple act of kindness always has the potential to be a life changing catalyst, even if, unlike in your case, the person dispensing it never knows how helpful they were.

And although Puig’s recent brush with the law gives me pause, I wouldn’t do that deal you mentioned in the previous thread. I’d rather take my chances on Tanaka (or maybe even Kenta Maeda, if he’s posted), since the latter only costs money. And since the Dodgers already signed Uribe, I doubt if the Dodgers would do it either.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

11. Quasimodo says:

This is why Mark says he hates bullies. When a person is faced with bucking a stacked deck, he usually doesn’t come out on top. We have a justice system that could give two shits about justice. Prosecutors will only give up a case they can not win. EVEN if they are totally aware of a persons innocence, they’ll shove on if they can chalk up a conviction. With so many death-row convicts getting proved innocent as DNA science matured, tells quite the story how winning is the name of that game-even at the cost of a life. And as most often the case, prosecutors will still object to the freeing of convicts that were proven innocent. Appellate courts do not concern themselves with innocence or guilt, but only if the lower court had erred OR if new evidence was made available after the conviction, such as witnesses, DNA or any evidence that be RULED harmful to the prosecution and sometimes defense. 12 angry men? Happy New Year, Friends!

I have heard this story before and feel any fortunate to have met you. I respect you and feel there has to be many more cases similar to yours where they weren’t able to move the mountain. Glen helped change your life and maybe that book your are writing could help inspire others with similar situations. I can’t wait to get my signed copy.

Still want that edit button

14. Bob says:

Puig = 2 speeding tickets. George Zimmerman = 2 speeding tickets. Not sure that speeding tickets prove anything. The good and the bad both speed at times.

Tanaka. Does he really want to pitch in America or does he just want to get off of a 9.0 earthquake fault?

Happy New Year

Gee — two days into the new year — and Ned has not made a move we know about as of yet.

I just had a thought Mark. If Glen can save you in your situation I was wondering who we could get to save Matt Kemp from the Lamar Odom syndrome? With Matt following in the foot steps of Lamar and getting sloopy seconds per say from his ex, how can we prevent him from becoming the next Kardashian reality star to become useless at his craft in order to provide entertainment on TV? He’s a grown man and if he wants the ugly duckling of the Kardashian girls and become the next puppet of reality series who are we to get in his way you ask? If Dodger Management is seeing what we are hearing, just maybe that’s his ticket out of town. Why do they need the distractions of the filming crew hanging around and taking up Matts practice time. I can see Kardashian episodes being taped at Chavez Ravine and Matt losing his baseball skills and becoming the next Hollywood Reality Star. The pay won’t be as glamorous but the work will be much easier lending him more time to find other things to occupy his time – hence Lamar finding his way back into drugs and alcohol. Well some of these thoughts are poking fun at Matt for being stupid and others could be a real concern. With Matt being able to have pretty much any woman of his choosing, why would he follow this path? Stay tuned.

Maybe he loves her. And if you have ever loved a woman you know it often makes no sense at all.

18. Bob says:

Maybe it is time for Kemp’s mother to live with him on a full-time basis. She seemed to be in LA a lot during the 2011 season.

I am so glad that this website has spell check on the fly. The red underlines are a quick hint to another season of cold weather stiffening of the fingers and the eventual chronic misspelling of words.

Red underlines?

Kardashian panties?

20. Bob says:

I do not think that I am drunk but what the hell. I will call this Thursday Drunk Trade Night in honor of the old guys like “Trader Jack” McKeon who used to make trades on the fly while probably downing a few too many.

I have changed my mind again and have decided that Price is over rated and Tanaka costs too much. I know that the following players are probably not available, and I have nothing against Cuban players, but I would do the following trade with Tampa Bay.

Alex Cobb RHP with 2014 Salary less than $1.0 mil
    Ben Zobrist 2B with 2014 Salary of $7.0 mil
    Nick Ciufflo #7 TB prospect and MLCB Catcher #9 with ETA 2017
    Hak-Ju Lee TB prospect #3 and MLB #75 with ETA 2013

for

Yasiel Puig RF with 2014 Salary of $4.3 mil and max salary in 2017 of $8.2 mil
    Alexander Guerrero 2B with 2014 Salary of $6.5 mil and max salary in 2017 of $7.5 mil
    Josh Beckett RHP plus $15 mil (net salary of $2.0 mil)

Tampa Bay could trade Puig and Guerrero for prospects at a later date, which is their style. I know that this trade makes the Dodgers an older team but considering the projected salaries I like Ryu better than I like Price and I also like Cobb better than I like Tanaka.

Introducing Bob’s version of the 2014 LA Dodgers

1. Kershaw 194 ERA+
    2. Greinke 135
    3. Ryu 119
    4. Cobb 138
    5. Haren 81, with Bills, Lee, Stripling, Fife and Magill as backups

The current Dodgers do not have the long men in the bullpen necessary to relieve both Haren and Beckett, so they may need another real starter for 2014. During the last three months of 2013 Haren had an ERA of under 3.25 but he got shelled 4 out of 16 starts. Sound like another Capuano to me.

1. Crawford LF OPS 108; and WAR 1.7
    2. Zobrist 2B 113, 5.1
    3. Gonzalez 1B 126, 4.0
    4. Rameriz SS 190, 5.4
    5. Kemp CF 105, 0.5 (2011 WAR of 8.1)
    6. Ethier RF 122, 2.7
    7. Uribe 117, 4.1
    8. Ellis 93, 2.3
    Not a bad lineup
    Reserves
    1. A Palanco type player 2B, SS, 3B
    2. Gordon 2B, SS, CF
    3. Pederson 4th OF
    4. Van Slyke RF, LF, 1B
    5. Federowicz C

Maybe I am writing this from Denver!

I think you’re writing that from Leadville.

But, I will admit, that is a decent lineup and starting staff.
        What I don’t like about it is We lose youthful talent and Tampa will turn that trade alone into a Division Championship.

I keep Puig and build a team around he and Kershaw. I really like this kid. His energy is infectious. He’ll grow up and when he does he will remind us of Willie Mays.

• Bob says:

Who knows which one of us is right but at least this time of the year should be about what ifs and pretending that we know what we are talking about. I agree with your points, and my post contains conclusions not easily arrived at due to many conflicting thoughts.

21. Idaho al says:

Quite a story Mark. Great for you. I am sure this problem made you a better man, but a terrible thing to go through. I enjoy your writings and love this web site. Write when you can.

22. Kevin says:

Doesn’t surprise me that you were in prison or that you are still posting after saying you were done countless times.

23. Watford Dodger says:

Happy New Year Kev.
    Now be a good boy and get back to your homework.

24. Watford Dodger says:

And make sure you ask your Mom if it’s ok to use the computer.

25. Quasimodo says:

Hey Kevin, Its possible you’re an okay guy. But you don’t display that here. Its very obvious that Mark is kind enough that he let the majority here sway his choice in keeping this great site open because we’ve made him feel appreciated. And that’s because he is. Perhaps you should just take yourself to wherever you’re appreciated. Or at least try to get on that side of things while commenting here. You don’t have to be good at that, but if you make an attempt it will be noticed.

I had a business partner in Wisconsin named Kevin. He stole $54,000 from our company and got away with it. Are you him? Sound like him.

Agree Bob. What else we have to do but throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

27. Jae says:

Kevin,

Italian: “Cagati in mano e prenditi a schiaffi.

Translation: “Shit in your hand and slap yourself in the face!”

Then GO AWAY!

28. Jimbo says:

Nice story Mark.

29. DodgerDude says:

Kevin,

Japanese – Kisama tama

Translation is You are the Lord of Donkey Balls

Shut the hell up you stupid bastard

So who goes into the Hall? Who is just short?

31. Anonymous says:

I wish Gil Hodges and Roger Maris were. Albie Pearson was just short.

32. Quasimodo says:

I’m probably not alone here when I say that Kent Tekulve should of made it. Even if you do not agree, ya got to admit he was one of the most exciting to watch relievers in the game ever.

Wow. Impressive. Thanks Jason.

34. RogerCraig says:

The Guerrero video is over a year old. I saw it 6 or 7 months ago and it means very little. It is a demo tape. I want to see him live in competition. Actually, if you analyze it, he does not look like a shortstop.

Roger is right about how long that video has been around. Saw it numerous times myself. I can’t say Guerrero doesn’t look like a shortstop, but I also can’t determine if he can hit, since it’s just batting practice. All we can do is wait, and see what we get. In fact, as Eric Stephen suggests in TBLA, it’s possible that Guerrero might not even open the season in LA, and instead it could be Dee Gordon.

And I don’t think that would be the worst thing in the world. But it’s still a long time between now and opening day, and lots of things can change. Anything is possible, even someone else other than Gordon or Guerrero opening the season for the Dodgers at 2B.

Has that video been posted here before?

He’s an impressive looking athlete. He moves with fluidity, quick hands and quick release. His scouting report says he has a good glove. With a bat in his hands he does a lot of things right with a quiet powerful stride, good wrists and obvious power. Can he hit ML pitching? I don’t know, but my guess us he will figure it out and be more impressive, and more productive, than Ellis was.

37. Anonymous says:

I’ve seen it numerous times. Not sure if it was here. It’s been on YouTube for over a year. As roger said its hard to say when it’s just a promo video. His arm looks average to me.

Does it really matter how old the video is? Unless the guy has put on 30 pounds in the last few months ( and I doubt that) I have no problem with this video.

Average ML arm for a SS translates to a superior arm for a second baseman. This guy looks great. Why the negativity here?

I generally don’t trust promotional or highlight videos, if only because they show the player at his best. I’m pretty sure that someone could compile a bunch of Dee Gordon highlight video that would convince people that he’s a wonderful defensive shortstop. Seeing a player on a daily basis is generally what’s needed to come to any definitive conclusions. But, I’ll bet that Badger is correct in his assessment, since I trust that the Dodgers have put together a very capable scouting department, and that what they saw convinced them to recommend that the team sign him for $28 million. They must have been sufficiently impressed.

I too don’t remember if I saw that video posted here, another Dodgers blog, or if I just googled Guerrero. But I do know that I saw it very soon after his name was mentioned as a player the Dodgers had interest in. And that, I’m pretty certain, was during the summer.

Well I hadn’t seen it. I only read the scouting reports. I liked what I saw. And that wasn’t a highlight reel, it was a workout. And it was impressive. This guy is put together and moves with the grace and agility of a highly trained athlete. I don’t know he can hit ML pitching but the Dodgers scouts must believe he can.

41. Watford Dodger says:

Mark – how did the Colts win that? What a game.

Scouting report from Ben Badler of Baseball America. In the end, scouting reports notwithstanding, we’ll find out soon enough with our own eyes whether or not Guerrero is the answer at 2B for the Dodgers. Here’s hoping he is.

“Alexander Guerrero Scouting Report

July 25, 2013 by Ben Badler

After several strong seasons of offensive performance in Cuba’s top league, 26-year-old shortstop Alexander Guerrero is now a free agent in the Dominican Republic.

Throughout the industry, Guerrero is not viewed as a premium talent, but it would not be a surprise if his contract ended up exceeding the scouting consensus on his talent level.

Background

In his final season in Cuba, Guerrero hit .290/.402/.576 with 21 home runs, 39 walks and 30 strikeouts in 328 plate appearances for Las Tunas. The Cuban league is a supercharged offensive environment, but he had strong numbers in Cuba for five straight seasons, so his performance wasn’t a one-year fluke.

Scouts saw Guerrero at Haarlem Baseball Week in the Netherlands last summer, when Guerrero went 0-for-4 with a strikeout as he and Aledmys Diaz were the backups to slick-fielding shortstop Erisbel Arruebarruena. The Cubans seemed to value other shortstops like Diaz and Arruebarruena ahead of Guerrero when it came to selecting players to travel for international tournaments.

Scouting Report

At 5-foot-10, 200 pounds, Guerrero’s best tool is his righthanded power. It’s not outstanding raw power, but some scouts have given him above-average raw power and say his pop seems to have increased since he arrived in the Dominican Republic.

Several scouts have reservations about whether that power will translate against major league pitching. Guerrero takes an uppercut stroke and he loses his balance against breaking pitches. It’s a pull-oriented, swing-for-the-fences approach that scouts think he will have to change to hit quality pitching. Scouts have also noted that the holes in his swing leave him susceptible to good velocity.

“He has raw power, no doubt, but I don’t see there being enough hitting ability to make that raw power that usable,” one scout said. “It’s a real rigid swing with stiffness.”

Guerrero didn’t show much speed when scouts evaluated him during international competition or with his stolen base totals in Serie Nacional. In four seasons from 2008-11, Guerrero went 0-for-7 stealing bases, then last year he went 2-for-7 stealing.

Since arriving in the Dominican Republic, Guerrero has shown improved speed with above-average times in the 60-yard dash, which is highly unusual for a 26-year-old to start running faster. Even still, scouts aren’t convinced that his 60-yard times will carry over to baseball speed going home to first, stealing bases or in the field.

One thing Guerrero has going for him is that some scouts think he can stay in the middle of the infield, although shortstop is probably out of the question. His hands and actions are playable but he doesn’t have the first-step quickness or range to play shortstop and he can be a bit stiff in the field. Second base could be an option for him and a team that likes him a lot will probably play him there.

Future Projection

Once Guerrero signs, he will likely go to Double-A or Triple-A, with the hope that he can get to the major leagues quickly. Several teams aren’t convinced he has the ability to either reach the majors or stick there as an everyday player, but whatever team signs him will probably see him as an offensive-oriented second baseman.

While Yoenis Cespedes showed in his first season that the scouting hype was merited and Yasiel Puig has developed faster than anticipated, several scouts believe that Guerrero’s talent level is more in line with players like Leslie Anderson, Juan Carlos Linares, Jorge Padron and Adonis Garcia, four Cuban players who also performed well in Serie Nacional but have yet to reach the majors.”

Yeah, I think we got spoiled with Puig, and now want Guerrero to come tear it up.

Realistically, he could be just a solid player, and nothing more. Nothing wrong with that either, from a 27 year old. He might need a few months, or even a year in AA. Hopefully he wont

Scouting reports. You just never know do you?

Our scouting team appear to have gotten it right on Ryu and Puig. I’m going to trust we have moved away from the “low budget everything” of 2007 and believe they got it right on Guerrero as well.

45. Pete M. says:

An everyday 2B with adequate D and a lil pop…Goes a long way with me… I would just a 2B for the next couple years to call LA his home…

46. Pete M. says:

Kent Tekulve…The stove pipe hat, the big chew and the nasty delivery…One helluva relief pitcher with a rubber arm… Mike Marshall and him were freaks as far as Games pitched go…

47. Anonymous says:

I agree with you Badger. I think our scouting department is much better and I trust they know about Guerrero. He may just be a solid player and that is just fine with me. The Dodgers certainly have invested money in our scouting department and that is the most important part of selecting good players.

48. Idaho al says:

The anonymous is idaho al.

49. Jason says:

Geeze. Sorry for the controversy!
    The winter lull had me a bit bored so I thought I’d throw the link up here even though the video was older.

I posted the scouting report as an additional informational piece. I made the point about trusting the Dodgers in an earlier post above, when I said:

“Seeing a player on a daily basis is generally what’s needed to come to any definitive conclusions. But, I’ll bet that Badger is correct in his assessment, since I trust that the Dodgers have put together a very capable scouting department, and that what they saw convinced them to recommend that the team sign him for $28 million. They must have been sufficiently impressed.”

So now we have scouting reports, and the eyes of the Dodgers’ scouting department to lean on. In the end, all that’s important is going to be actual performance. And for that we’ll just have to wait.

Jason, no need to feel sorry. During the current winter lull we need something to liven things up. Besides, we all disagree around here kind of friendly like, except for Kevin.

Guess I was the only guy who hadn’t seen that video. If I had I would have posted it here months ago. That young man is an impressive looking athlete. His hamstring problem is something that concerns me. Maybe it’s nothing, but those things can be problematic for a long time. Knowing he will want to impress the new club, and show everyone he is worth it, he might overdue it. Best keep him in a short leash for a while.

52. Yo! Adrian says:

Aledmys Diaz, another Cuban defector, is signable from 20 Jan. He is known for better glove, younger.

53. caryn says:

They also get the option to post from a mobile devices,
    voice posting for audio-blogs, and a free forwarded email addresssuch as
    jennifer_girl@livejournal. This is indicative with most things in life — the more times you do something the
    better you become at it.

54. your house says:

According to Bluefire Ethanol, construction from
    the Fulton plant is scheduled to begin with the end of 2010.
    Because methods are considered being carbon
    neutral, they’re eligible for a number of energy grants and rebates.

biofuel heater your house