Veterans, Thank You For Our Freedom!

Thank you’s are not enough.  Take a vet to dinner or invite him over for one.

We can never repay them.

Never take them for granted.

Some scars are visible.

Some aren’t… and others are buried under the grass.

Vet-Day

veteran-sale

20 Responses to “Veterans, Thank You For Our Freedom!”

You are welcome.

USN 1973-1977.
    You never served?

3. Bob says:

PS

$375 mil over 45 years is really only $173 – $240 mil depending upon what interest rate that you use. Can The Guggenheim Group invest the spread at 8% and make this a great deal for the Dodgers?

3% = $240 mil
    4% = $213 mil
    5% = $190 mil
    6% = $173 mil

Is Bobby Bonilla still happy with his deal? $1.2 mil per year for 25 years beginning in 2011 instead of $5.9 mil in 2000!

Serving, here are the locations I served in the USAF in my 20 years of service:

Travis AFB,, CA – 1 year
    Johnston Atoll (Pacific) – 1 year
    Sheppard AFB, TX – 2 years
    Keesler AFB, MS – 2 years
    Clark AB, Philippines – 3 years
    McCord AFB, WA – 3 years
    Torrejon AB, Spain – 3 years
    Rhein-Main AB, Germany – 3 years
    Randolph AFB, TX – 2 years

Listening to the Dodgers on Armed Forces Radio and TV around the world.

Props to all the board members today who are vets.

Beers on me for sure!

Michael,

Wasn’t drafted and didn’t volunteer. I was 164. The draft stopped at 161 that year.

But I have a world of respect for those who did, including my father. WWII

You’re welcome.

We can all serve our country. You don’t want to go in the service and risk your lives? Then please stop griping about higher taxes. It’s the price you pay to live in our society. You want to of service? Feed the children. Advance science, the arts and education. Throw your support behind those who believe in liberty for all and who promote the general welfare.

There is no need to thank veterans for their service. There is a need to show them we are grateful. Ask them questions about their time served. Ask them what’s next. Ask them how you can help. Don’t defund their healthcare but do create in country jobs so they can move on with their lives.

Badger USMC ’66-’69

8. jerry says:

army ..65 – 67 germany . france..belgem ..holland..
    thanks for all the served

Semper Fi!

10. Idaho al says:

Agree, thanks veterans. I was a school teacher and was deferred because of being a teacher.

A couple friends of mine in high school and summer leagues played baseball for USC and they were also deferred. Wish I would have made a similar choice. I know I could have played at UCLA.

But, what’s done is done. Less than 1% of the US is actually affected in our continued wars. I think that is why we can keep at it, not enough people are involved. Bring back the draft and that might change attitudes about it. And I guarantee those that skipped out on the fun in Vietnam would have a different perspective had they gone. War sucks. Especially wars that just don’t need to be fought. Veterans are committing suicide at record rates. Why do you suppose that is? We need to address that issue and give these people their lives back. It takes money. Lots of it.

OK, Veterans Day is over. So is my rant.

How about we replace Skippy with Omar Infante, offer Nolasco 3 at 12 mil plus an option, sign Joaquin Benoit for the bullpen, and invite Peralta in for a talk about playing third base on a championship team. The Mets think he is good enough to play short for them, why wouldn’t we think he was good enough for third?

btw, talk over there about bringing Uribe back, two years 12 million. Also a sentence that says that might not work if Ramirez is moved to third because Guerrero would be a better SS than is Hanley.

Let’s just get stupid and ask – an infield of Ramirez, Guerrero, Cano and Gonzalez. Anybody interested? I’ll bet the possibility of 4 million b.i.s. and post season dollars might tempt the Dodgers.

13. Jimbo says:

2 years at Sheppard? I was there 2 weeks and that was too long.

14. Jimbo says:

22 1/2 years in the Air Guard. I ‘retire’ next month.

15. Bobbie17 says:

The question I ask myself all the time is: What if these wars were not fought by the US? How would the world/this country be different? It is impossible to know what did not happen. In my lifetime (dob1945) there hasn’t been a war that was worth a …….
    All that death and destruction. Terrible. I got caught in the Reserves for 6 years. Not my thing. Draftees are the ones who got screwed. Waging peace is not as cool as waging war. No video games there. Veterans Day is a good time to reflect on what was, what might have been, and what will be.

Waging peace isn’t profitable.

If you get a chance, check out Natural Capitalism. http://www.natcap.org/ Book was written a long time ago, but, it still makes sense to me. Not going to happen as long as the oil and pharmaceutical companies run governments. Want a read that will twist you in knots? Google the 10 largest war profiteers and read up on what it is they have done over the last few decades. “The history of American war profiteering is rife with egregious examples of incompetence, fraud, tax evasion, embezzlement, bribery and misconduct” No sh*t.

Mets looking for outfield upgrades. Maybe we could help them with that.

Slow time of year. Until we know the whole posting process, things might remain stalled. That first domino could be Tanaka. Sure hope we hear something soon.

16. Quasimodo says:

All should check out Mike’s story @ M.S.T.I about Uribe.

This time of the baseball season is great = Hot Stove.

But all of a sudden — it just drags on so long before we (Dodger fans) can truly see our opening starting lineup —

GM meeting, owners meeting, other baseball meeting . . . awards and more awards . . . winter leagues . . . and more stuff

Would like to go to sleep tonight and wake up on March 3 or 4 with the roster in hand.

Jimbo — ah, Sheppard AFB, tech training . . . back in 1976-78 I ran a coffee house there called “The Great Pumpkin” for airman in training. Kind of a free zone for the airman.

Took an old WWII building and made it into a fun type building with free coffee, punch, movies on Friday and Saturday (old 16 MM) a retreat program once a month and some live music with airman performing. Would have some 200 to 300 there many nights . . . had a big painted Great Pumpkin around the entrance door. I moved on to Keesler AFB (MS) and there created a new one: The Fishbowl. That was even a bigger deal. And it a way, it is still there 30 plus years later.

Who will the new Dodger 3B be?

Boston Red Sox fans must really be . . . . about the AL Manager of the Year pick.