Tough Day at Work!

Actually, I had computer problems, so while my IT guy was working on my computer, I just kicked back – what will be will be!

I’m not going to say anything about our favorite team right now…

Rants & Raves

• The best team in the NBA resides in Indianapolis – watch these guys.  I have been watching them grow for 5 years and this is their year.  It has been a blast to watch Baby Roy grow into Big Roy – one of the best Centers in the NBA.  I’ve watched Lance Stevenson grow from a thug to a beast and Paul George get better every year until now, when he is MVP material.  Throw in David West, Luis Scola, George Hill, CJ Watson and oh, Danny Granger and this is a very young team that can challenge for the NBA Title.
  • We are also very lucky to have Luck on our football who are pretty good too.  It’s quite a run here in Indy right now.
  • The Pacers invited me and my family to their suite tonight for dinner, but alas, my son’s high school football team, the Cardinal Ritter Raiders are playing for the Sectional Championship at their Home Field at Marion University,  Their quarterback, Jake Purichia, is two touchdown short of the Indiana High School All-Time Touchdown Record – remember Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler and Jeff George are all from Indiana.  Below is a video of Jake who is amazing.

Thansgiving---ThankYOU

39 Responses to “Tough Day at Work!”

Wouldn’t it be something if the Ned: traded Crawford and Ethier away — and signed Ellsbury for centerfield, moving Kemp to left and Puig in right!!!!

Then, bringing in a nice 4th outfielder for the extra coverage needed.

This giving the Dodgers a new start out there.

I\’ll sign off on it!

Mark, signed for my car today. Fly to Bowling Green Dec 8, pick it up on Dec 9 (6 hour event at the Corvette Museum). Have room for two more to do the tour — of the factory and the museum, if you want to join us. Let me know. 3 hour drive for you.

Tonight on the MLB channel — Glendale is up . . . some young Dodgers might be playing . . . 8 pm CST

Thanks Roger for the heads up, have to check out this Seager kid almost everyone is GaGa about.
    Mark, what’s the deal with Danny Granger? He wasn’t quite ready??? If he comes back to anything near the shell of himself, I would have to agree that the Heat are having nightmares over the prospect.

HAPPY TRAILS

Hey Mark, you got our Fresno St alum Paul George leading the way for you! He has become even better than I thought.

Also, not sure if you knew this, but, for Fresno St bball home opener next weekend, Paul George bought out every seat in the arena, and is giving the seats out for free. Awesome gesture:

I’d be wary about trading for Ellsbury. First off, the contract will be very large, and lots of years, and secondly, he has an injury history, which is something to worry about, especially with a player who is so dependent on his wheels, and who’s on the wrong side of 30. I’d rather take the cheaper route, and plug in Pederson (if he’s ready), and save the money for something else.

Of course, Joc Pederson might not be ready. Just dropped about 30 points in his last two games, going 0 for 8. Now hitting .243, and has struck out 29 times in 70 ABs. But he does have 29 walks.

And then there’s Dee Gordon, who suddenly finds himself hitting .423 after two consecutive 3 hit days.

Of course, it’s absolutely silly to jump all over stats based on limited play. Hopefully, the Dodgers have a handle on the bigger picture.

Brooklyn, I have been a big fan of Ethier since I saw him play in the Texas League — and love the guy. I even have an Ethier jersey. BUT I think he is on the down side now. Beautiful swing, but he just has seem to lost that hand to eye contact — and time to move him on for another piece.

Crawford, back problems and cannot really throw, is slower and a gamer, but the Dodgers need a leadoff guy and better outfielder — and younger. Time to move him for some pieces.

Pederson might be an answer — but he is still a year away — and then it could take a year or two to establish himself. Not sure he is a Trout type who just puts on a Dodger uniform and hits .300 with some power.

Kemp stays. Too much invested, and I think if his foot is fine — he will make a BIG comeback (player of the year).

So — I go with Ellsbury. I take the risk. That is why they pay me the money to make decisions around here.

Cory Seager is up now — fly out to center.

Good luck tonight Mark. That’s a big game.

Very interesting article on the Incognito Martin thing. You’re right, he nailed it. The Dolphins appear to have been a dysfunctional organization for a while. Honorary Black Man? Yoiks. I wonder what the league would have to say if some of the white players announced Martin was an Honorary White Man. I would like to have seen Martin stand up for himself, and just tell the bully to back off. Who knows, maybe he did. At any rate, if that’s the NFL, and I suspect it is, there may not be a place for him now. Having said that, I do believe he will move. He should maybe go back out west to San Francisco.

I would give Ellsbury a try. He had 636 PA’s last year so maybe he is healthy. I would sure take that many with him in our lead off spot.

Good luck to the Pacers and Colts. Anybody but Miami. And please, anybody but the Patriots. Had enough of them.

I would give Ellsbury a try too, but just not for the money and years he is likely to command. We already have a bunch of guys in their thirties (Kemp is will be 30 next September) tied into long contracts. I can’t see adding another, especially since this team is investing so much to develop its own. Maybe Ellsbury stays healthy over the next several years and justifies a long term lucrative deal, and maybe not.

I’d much rather the Dodgers see if they can trade one of their outfielders not named Puig for something of value, and begin to rely on what we have, and what we will inevitably add one way or another. If Guerrero works out at 2B, and the Dodgers find a solution to 3B/SS, then all it will take is productivity from Puig and whoever else we have in the outfield be it Kemp, Ethier, Crawford, Pederson, or whomever.

Ellsbury or Choo only become feasible if we are able to move two of our established (but fragile) outfielders. Maybe that could happen. How? I don’t have a clue.

Of course, I’m not privy to Dodgers finances, so maybe they can make it work, even if they trade one or two of their outfielders and have to eat a significant amount of their contracts over the coming years.

Well, we can now start following Alexander Guerrero, as he has begun playing in the Dominican Republic. So far, after 10 ABs he’s hitting .300 with a double, 2 RBIs, 3 K’s and 0 BB’s.

Looks to me as if Bill Shaikin may be reading a little too much into what the D-Backs owner said about “payback”.

Here’s Shaikin’s article:

This is from the D-Backs website:

What he said doesn’t sound all that ominous to me, unless it just ends up being blown out of proportion.

14. Bobbie17 says:

Serious plans for next year should not include Kemp. I doubt if he will be terribly productive next year. Not a bad idea to go slow with him when he is ready to play.

15. Pete M. says:

The Incognito-Martin drama!?!? It’s no wonder why I prefer my football on Saturdays…
    Rumors/talk about Eric Chavez to Blue. I would like that and especially have liked that last year to bail out Luis ‘El-Flopola’ Cruz…
    3B/1B Chavez at the Ravine!!! Has a ring to it…
    ND at Pitt…I’ve grown to accept nothing comes comes easy… Happy for Stanford (O fans starting getting that USC attitude the last couple years) but damn I’ve the Cardinals the last gme of the year…

Yeah, once again the PAC 12 eats it’s own. There will be no Championship Game for any team out west. ‘twould take a miracle. Both Stanford and Oregon are just good enough to not make it to the top. Happens every year.

Why wouldn’t Kemp be ready? He has had plenty of time to he healed from all his injuries. He is young enough to heal, IF he is doing the things he is supposed to be doing. But who knows, with all that guaranteed money, for all we know he just clubbin’ every night. If that is the case, and somebody wants him, send him off. Like we all figure, his single best year is behind him. But reality is screaming that he remains with the Dodgers. Until teams know he can play, who would be stupid enough to take the chance? He got 20 million last year for doing practically nothing. Lost him on a stupid lazy play. Now there is 21.5 million for the next 6 years. That is ton of guaranteed money. Yeah, lock up the stars while you can. How many of those contracts actually pay off for teams?

Ricky wants $80 million. So do I. Neither of us are getting it. And, looks like neither of us will be playing for the Dodgers next year.

Tulowitzki in trade news? How about Kemp for him? Hanley would have to move. And we all know he ain’t ready for that. He will eventually, but, somehow I think he wants to be the SS on this Championship team. Who knows. I haven’t talked to him, and Mark is too busy. Maybe we can ask Tony what he thinks.

eh, no real news this morning. Guess I’ll pick some college football games to watch.

17. jerry says:

just wondering if the men on here ..no any one who has inside information on the dodgers..or is it all speculation. i like what i read..and it sound like you all have the stats to be wright, i only give what i see and what i beleive

Let me get this straight:

now people here want to trade 2 of Ethier/Crawford/Kemp, knowing full well that we have to eat a bunch of their over inflated contracts, and then turn around and give a similar ridiculous contract to another 31 year old outfielder who only relies on his speed (and we all know when speed diminishes the whole player diminishes)

Unreal. Trading 2 of Ethier/Kemp/Crawford would cost us $70 mil to just to get rid of those players. THEN we go sign another guy for 20 mil per year for 6 years. So the real cost of a Ellsbury or Choo is like $30 mil a year?? No.

Ellsbury and Choo are no better than Crawford was when he was a free agent, and despite how solid he was for us last year, he’s vastly overpaid and his contract makes him hard to move. No reason to believe the same won’t be true for Choo and Ellsbury

Serious plans for next have to include Kemp, i.e., unless he’s traded.

How do we know Hanley isn’t ready to move? Who said that?

Tulo for Kemp? Interesting. Both have similar contracts, with Tulo’s actually going a year longer. And I believe Tulo has had some recent injury issues. But would either of the division rivals dare make that deal? It has upside and downside for both teams. If healthy, Kemp would be a monster in Colorado.

• Quasimodo says:

Another person who spoke about HanRam was Steve Lyons. Several times he said ” he gets up in the morning thinking he is the shortstop”. Hanley’s main issue of hard work is to prove himself as the shortstop. The hitting is just a by-product. I know a lot of folks don’t care for Lyons. I’m not in that group. Nobody will ever fill Scully’s shoes in the hearts of dodgers fans. But Lyons gave us very accurate inside info.

“Who said that?”

I think Mark did. He’s connected you know.

I don’t see the Dodgers trading Kemp. Trading him coming off those surgeries means taking a huge loss. He owes us. Pay up Matt.

For the record I think he can come back and play.

Badger, Program alert; tonight on Coast to Coast AM [formerly Art Bell] A group of 4 scare the shit out of you experts will be on the 4 hour show with their take on the Fukushima disaster. Link to the site http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ to help locate a station near you.
    Speaking of disasters, my heart goes out to the Philippines. Having spent about 6 months there in the Navy, when they say houses, it’s not like you would envision a house, it’s more like a hut for many of the residents, really really bad.

22. Quasimodo says:

I’ll be able to cut down on lighting. I haven’t given up on tuna, salmon, milk or cheese. If its true that milk is 2000 times higher in radioactivity I’ll be glowing in the dark and providing enough light. If the milk is that contaminated, what isn’t? Wish it was baseball season so I’d have the excuse to not pay it any mind.

1. I’m lactose intolerant – Thank God!

2. I’m beer tolerant – Thank God!

3. Our QB set the state record for TD passes last night and we advanced to the regionals.

4. My son (Freshman) didn’t get to play. He plays on the Freshman team but gets to dress with the Varsity. He’s the youngest kid on the team (barely 14) and the Seniors love him. He’s 5’8″ and 160 but will take on a 250 lb. lineman with reckless abandon. He will be 5’11″ and 190 next year (my prediction). He will play then. He shows up, steps up and shuts up – I’m proud of him. He is built like a tank!

5. Paul George fans – we know about the tickets for Fresno State. He is just a gem. He loves Indy and does so much for the community.

6. I’m not as connected as I used to be. NO TIME! Even Tony Jackson will break a story rather than tell me. Can I blame him? No! No one inside the Dodgers is going to leak anything… Tony Jackson’s blog is as good as it gets, but I can tell you that Hanley sees himself as a Shortstop. Take SS away and he won’t be Good Hanley. Like it or not, it’s the truth and I stand by it. He may change his mind if we get an Elvis!

7. What about Orlando Johnson (OJ) who was the leading scorer at Cal-Santa Barbara? He’s becoming a force.

8. Larry Bird is a freakin’ genius!

9. Watch Duke this year.

10. Kemp will be back with a vengeance!

Does OJ play 3b? If not, who cares.

Duke? Duke who? Does he play 3b? If not, I doubt we can use him. Unless he hits like Snider. If he does, we’ll find a spot for him.

Agree about Kemp.

Congrats on the W last night. That’s a big deal. What position does your son play?

MLB, FB and TE

26. Pgunn says:

1. The Pacers should’ve won last year. They had Miami dead to if Vogel had put Hibbert on the court at the end.

2. Colts D is better, despite giving up Freeney.

3. Whitlock… well, he has his pros and cons.

27. Idaho al says:

According to the Dodger web site, Colletti will listen to any trade offers on Crawford, Kemp or Either. If the offer on any of the three is to good to be true, they will listen. Otherwise, they will not listen. They are not shopping any of the three, but will listen to offers. My guess is that they will not receive any offer that is to good to be true.

28. Idaho al says:

Another thing that worries me is that Colletti has not signed Kershaw to an extended contract. The longer this goes on the worse it becomes for the Dodgers. Colletti needs to get this done and now. If we do not sign him now, he will test free agency after the 2014 season.

They “listen” every year. Everybody listens. I think it’s safe to say without absorbing an enormous amount of money those players stay with us.

That does not mean they won’t do it. If itrrsults in a better lineup next year, they probably WOULD do it. So much depends on the rehab efforts of our wounded and what a competent medical staff has to say about all of this.

Crawford, Kemp and Rsmirez are not that old. There is still about a 2-3 year window on these guys. I estimate about 500 quality at bats out if all of them. What we need is more better back ups at those positions, a legit force at third base, starting pitching and a manager that will quit whining about his own selfish interests.

Put all that together and the Dodgers win the pennant.

The question for me remains – is Jed the man for this job?

If Kershaw does not sign, and balks at signing and talks of FA — trade him and re-make the team — then sign what it takes to replace him.

If Clayton does not want to be a Dodger or play that — I go here on Monday, here on Tuesday, here on Wednesday, here on Thursday, and here on Friday — then sign with the best offer and where I want to play —- we do not play that game.

Mark loves his low ERA — but the Cardinals love his pitches.

The Cardinals own Kershaw right now.

The past three years his ERA is 4.46 against them and they are hitting .264 against him. Against every other team, Clayton has a 2.21 ERA and allows them a .204 BA.

He doesn\’t pitch great against Colorado, but even against them his ERA is 3.57. The Cards know something no one else knows about Clayton. Maybe Skip Schumaker can enlighten him.

We can sign him if he wants to play here. Both he and his wife Ellen are Texas Mehodists and who knows what it they think about living in Los Angeles. May not be the place they want to raise their kids. I really don’t know. And I don’t care what it is that is being talked about as far as how much and how long, because I don’t care who the pitcher is, NOBODY is worth $300 million and especially a hard throwing pitcher. Just look at the guys who have been given long contracts like that and tell me who has actually been worth it. If someone, in Texas maybe, wants to give him 7 years and $210 million clams to come home, then adios Clayton. Honestly, what is wrong with 6 years $165 million? Who is the model for long term pitching contracts? You want to use Kevin Brown, Mike Hampton, Johann Santana as a models? Sabathia? Go ahead. You think Sabathia will finish that contract like he started it? You want to use Zito as a model? Be my guest. Kershaw might be Cliff Lee, but he also might be Johann Santana. There is a long list of pitchers who have not come close to earning what they are being paid. The one saving grace here is that at least Kershaw is on the right side of 30 and the Guggs can likely provide some costly insurance at reasonable rates. 6 years is risky. 7 is nuts. Just my opinion. If he likes LA, he will accept 6 and $165 and be damn lucky he was offered that.

Out of Luck today.

Kershaw NEWS:

Kevin Kennedy was just on MLB Radio. Said that signing Kershaw is no slam dunk. He owns a home in Texas, and rents in the LA area. He is not sure he wants a 10 year deal or real long term.

What I meant above in a post — if the Dodgers feel that Clayton is not going to sign something this season — and wants to test the FA market — then trade him sooner and get real value for him. Not just use him in 2014 to see him walk later.

Build the pitching staff — now. And if they have to, work about him in new directions.

Sign the guy from Japan for sure.

Also, Kevin said that Billingsley is on the fast track to recovery.

Good I don’t want Kersh for 10 years either! Sign him for 6 years, and if he’s great at age 32, sign him up again!

Makes sense if we know he isn’t sure. Obviously we can’t find someone who can do what he has done, but we can replace him. Sign Tanaka, trade for Price and tee it up.

I think with this management group a heart to heart with Kershaw will take place. What does he want? If he wants to go south work out a deal. Both Texas teams have depth. Let them pay. If they don’t, trade him to Toronto.

Having said that, I believe he will sign here.