Rants & Raves

• Those of you who thought the Cardinals had interest in Stephen Drew haven’t been paying attention.   The Cardinal way is to get draft picks, not give them up.  There was no chance the Cards would have went after Stephen Drew when Jhonny Peralta was available without losing a pick.  The Cards might have to give up a pick who could be  could be Michael Wacha with that pick.  They will give Peralta a multi-year deal, even though he is not as good defensively as Drew, because they have perspective.  Players taken in the first round have a strong probability of becoming excellent players.  If you want to build from within, you never and I mean NEVER give up a pick… UNLESS you are getting First Round draft pick quality back, and there’s not much likelihood of that.
  • The Dodgers are taking a lesson from the Cards (I hope) and will refuse to be so stupid as to go after aging Robinson Cano.  The Dodgers weren’t in on David Freeze because they didn’t have a Peter Bourjos to trade to the Cards.  Bourjos will flourish with the Cards and Matt Carpenter will move to 3B.  The Cards will be all in next year too, because they never stop re-loading.  They don’t give up those picks.  I am sure the Dodgers realize that it’s better to overpay for a guy like Peralta rather than surrender a pick!
  • Badger sent me a suggestion that we might trade Ethier to the Red Sox for Garin Cecchini whom I like.  I always felt that Cecchini or Xander Bogaerts would be the Red Sox 3B, making Middlebrooks available.  Actually, I would trade Ethier for Middlebrooks or Cecchini.  Garin is a top-of-the order hitter who has a great arm.  I think he can steal 20-30 bases as well.  He may be a year away…
  • I read the interview Chad Moriyama had with Corey Seager who says he is a SS.  Of course he is… and may be.  Time will tell.  I would do that deal.  The problem is, Boston will want the Dodgers to pay a substantial amount of Andre’s salary!  I’d get tired of paying people to play elsewhere.  I don’t know about you.
  •  I like Dan Haren for one year. Can’t hurt even though we have Beckett and Bills.  Haren wasn’t happy on the East Coast.  I think he could be a fine addition since he is from the LA area and has two young kids.
  • I still think the Dodgers will be all in for Tanaka!

black-friday-sale

57 Responses to “Rants & Raves”

I didn’t care much for Drew. And the Cardinals cared a lot more for Peralta than I did. Which strongly suggests I didn’t care enough. Those guys know what they are doing.

The idea behind the Ethier to Boston for Cecchini trade was simply this: if Seager really wants to stay at SS, and he is good enough to do it, why not get a real third base prospect and secure the left side of our infield for a decade? As for paying Boston to take Ethier, I say b.s.. He would put up a WAR between 4 and 5 there which makes his contract right on the money – for THAT team. I know you are probably right, and we know Jed would probably do it, but I just feel Ethier is in the wrong ballpark to do what it is he does. In Boston he would compete for a batting title. He could bounce them off that wall the way Boggs did. Hell, I could bounce them off that wall. It’s 335 feet to straight away LF, 315 down the line.

I like Dan Haren too. From LA, should have lots left, he is this year’s Ricky Nolasco. Rickydan Harelasco. And yeah, the Dodgers are still in on Tanaka. They may do it just to keep the midgets from getting him.

Report out that the Tigers are close to a deal with Brian Wilson.

Maybe it’s all for the best. Perhaps Wilson’s work at the end of the year was a mirage, much like Brandon League the year before. Very hard to determine if such a small sample size is a harbinger of things to come, or a harbinger of nothing. Maybe the Dodgers will do it the Dodgers Way and open a spot or two in the pen to some of our younger guys like Yimi Garcia and Jose Dominguez, among others.

And by the way, I’m not impressed with the Cardinals Way, the Red Sox Way, the Midgets Way, or any other way. If the Dodgers win next year everybody will be talking about the Dodgers Way. And building from within was always the Dodgers Way until FOX and then McCourt. They are currently back to that Way, and we’ll begin to see the results in the coming years. The re-building of the Dodgers Way only began last year, and will take some time to be fully realized.

When the rumors of a Kemp trade to the Red Sox appeared I thought about Garin Cecchini as one of the prospects the Dodgers might want. And since Kemp, if he were actually traded would likely garner multiple prospects, I also thought about Jackie Bradley and Henry Owens, who I believe is one of their top pitching prospects. So Ethier for Cecchini definitely makes some sense. Never saw the player, but I’ve read nothing but good reports.

The Dodgers are likely not in the market for Cano, and I doubt if they are in the market for any of the current free agents who have a qualifying offer. Maybe they will be next year, when, I believe, the free agent class is supposed to be potentially far superior to what’s available now. But that will depend on the circumstances at that time. And Mark, I agree that you NEVER give up a pick, except , of course, when there is that UNLESS.

Regarding the Dodgers picking up part of Ethier’s contract. I don’t like it either, but if it brings back a certified top prospect, it might be the price that has to be paid. In any case, it would still relieve the Dodgers of some of that financial burden, bring in a talent that might be worth it, and also free up money for other ventures. The trick is to not hem yourself in with bad contracts like Ethier’s.

Also, the idea of getting Cecchini isn’t just to free up Seager for short if he can play it. It’s also to hedge against the possibility that one of those guys won’t live up to their hype, and also to deepen the talent level in the Dodgers organization, thereby opening the possibility that some of that talent could be packaged in a deal to bring in a quality player(s) in a trade. Prospects have multiple uses.

I am not impressed with any way but the Cardinals Way and the Old Dodgers Way. The new Dodgers have to establish some history, like 5 ROY in a row!

I think it’s safe to say every team has their own way. Some obviously work better than others. Fox was too corporately disconnected and Frank never had a clue. His goal was only to leverage OPM and get filthy rich. Which he now is. Hope he pukes daily, alone and miserable.

The new ownership appear to know what they are doing. As we have already discussed, building the system will take time. But we do have most of the pieces to win now. Keep these guys on the field and we will again be favorites.

You’re absolutely right about the Dodgers having to establish some history. Whether it’s 5 ROY in a row or just a steady and deep pipeline of talent doesn’t make a difference to me. But my impression is that the Dodgers are now turned in the right direction, and that like all history, this history will take some time to emerge. And with the Cardinals I’m not convinced that what we’re seeing is their way, or in fact, the legacy of their previous scouting director, Jeff Luhnow, who is now the GM of the Astros. It may well be that in the years to come we’ll speak of the Astros Way.

Come to think of it, I prefer the steady and deep pipeline of talent over the 5 ROY. If memory serves, during that 5 ROY period we didn’t win any championships.

If we do trade Kemp to Boston for prospects, how bout a couple of arms they have?

De la Rosa and Webster?

Neither RDLR nor Webster distinguished themselves in the Boston organization last year. I always thought Webster was overrated, and maybe RDLR wasn’t all that we thought he was. Of course, they’re young, and things could change. But Boston might actually have better pitching prospects than those two.

9. Bob says:

Another trade idea.

The Dodgers have an excess number of pitchers (13) in their Top 20 list of prospects. They should be a natural trade partner with a team who has an excessive number of position players in their Top 20 list of prospects. One such candidate is the Cubs who have only 2 pitchers in their top 10, and 7 pitchers in their top 20.

Trade for upgraded prospects.

Either plus $10 mil per year for 4 years
    #3 Lee
    #5 Magill, and
    #6 Reed

to the Cubs for

Valbuena MLB part-time 3B who bats left handed
    #1 Javier Baez SS, and
    #4 Kris Bryant 3B

Future Dodger infield is as follows
    1B is Bryant, 6-5, Cub #4, AA, Bats Right, Age 21, Platoons with Gonzalez at 1B and at 3B with Seager in 2016
    2B is Santana, 6-4, LAD #11, ROK, Bats Right, 20, Starts in 2017
    SS is Baez, 6-0, Cub #1, AA, Bats Right, 20, Starts in 2015
    3B is Seager, 6-4, LAD #2, A+, Bats Left, 19, Starts in 2016

This trade should both boost the Dodger minor league ranking and balance the minor league roster.

Solid plan Bob. I think our model, our reputation, has been to develop pitching and use it to trade for position need. We did draft Seager (passing on Wacha) so perhaps these new guys are ready to move in a new direction.

We are mentioned in this one:

I could see this making us better. Of course, it demands the move to third by Hanley. And it probably makes Seager a trade candidate. Price in the rotation?

1. Kershaw
    2. Greinke
    3. Price
    4. Ryu
    5. Haren

Yeah, it’s still a fake team, but, I like that rotation.

12. SpokaneBob says:

The best way to get better and not deplete the farm is to use our biggest advantage….money. If letting Wilson go is so that we can use the dollars to get Tanaka, Iam fine with that. Then outspend the competition and land the Cuban shortstop(currently in Mexico) and if he is as great a defender as they say I believe they could convince Hanley (with an extention) to make the move to thrid. This would also save the money we would otherwise have to spend on Uribe.

Thats my plan and I am sticking to it!

13. Idaho al says:

Brooklyn, League was not a mirage. I watch the Dodgers and Mariners on TV. League had already lost the closer roll at Seattle before the Dodgers signed him. He lost the closer roll because of his inconsistency. Inconsistency is League’s problem. It was a dumb signing at the time and it still is a dumb signing. Colletti continues to sign ball players who had one good season. Look at Uribe.

I agree with not paying Either’s salary, if he is traded. His salary is in line with what he does on the field.

I just hope the Dodgers are in on the Tananka deal. It will cost us money, but we do not have to give up any of our farm kids.

I firmly believe the Dodgers now want to rebuild through the farm system. It takes time. In the mean time we have to fill some holes until the farm starts to supplies us with good kids.

14. Idaho al says:

Spokane Bob, I like your plan. We have good young arms to put in the bull pen. That is a very good way to give a young pitcher a start. Giving a relief pitcher a 3 year contract, and over paying, is a blue print for failure. we do have Jansen, Bellisaro, Withrow, Rodriquez, and League. Billingsley is coming back. Fill in the holes with some young pitchers.

15. jerry says:

did any one remember that we lost because we didnt hit.it wasnt pitching.

16. SpokaneBob says:

Jerry, We didn’t hit because of injuries to Hanley, Matt and Andre. With those guys healthy we probably go to the series. The most sucessful blueprint to win has always been based on pitching.

17. SpokaneBob says:

Alexander Guerrero is dealing with a hamstring injury in his Dominican Winter League stint, tweets Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, and GM Ned Colletti indicated that the missed time could postpone the Dodgers’ decision as to whether he’ll play short or second next year. That decision — or, potentially, the inability to make it — could seemingly have an impact on Los Angeles’ off-season shopping list.

18. Bobbie17 says:

Re Haren in So Cal. Don’t forget the Angels stint. Maybe by now, the pressure to succeed will not be a hindrance. The staff the Dodgers put around him, and the coaches, will make or break him. I like what the Angels are doing right now with the pitching. Reshaping the bullpen first. How is our’s going? Don’t forget that Paco was nails last year until the end. So was Howell all year. Which Paco will break camp? Who will replace Howell? I want to think that we have enough talent in the system to fit into the bullpen in a meaningful way. We need to find another Paco down there. Can we?

19. Watford Dodger says:

Jerry I hear you & I will say it again – we need more runs from somewhere.
    Do we think think that Hanley & Matt will provide those runs by getting on the field more?
    I don’t. We need to find those runs elsewhere.

20. grumpy3b says:

I still wonder of they should make a true push for The Merkin. With Jansen’s health issue dude could drop dead mid-windup…so the Dodgers need a someone to fill the role.

Seriously The Merkin is HORRIBLE looking but watching the guy go about his business last year the guy is a real pitcher not a thrower. The Surgery’s namesake was the same way and it’s why he had a great career after the fact. The Merkin is a player I can watch play the game even if he makes George Foster look like Jodie Foster, OK, Jodie Foster in Hinckley’s eyes anyway.

BTW, one serious reason I like going after The Merkin is I feel it’s time to move Belisario. He can be lights-out but he can also look as lost as League. I think Belisario has trade value still. Of course he is very affordable just a bit scary for periods every season. He won’t have a long career and time to use Campanis’ theory better to trade a player a season or two early than a season too late. And he is not a FA until 2017, 2014 is his first arb eligible year. Weird, huh? Seems like he has been on the team for 37 seasons already.

Throwing in a guy like Belisario might make a trade of a Ethier easier and less costly in terms of cash and a prospect or two while bringing back something they need.

And for the record I won’t be a fan of any trade with the idea that the player will play 1st…with the number of middle of the order grade hitters with health issues the Dodgers have a bus load of guys to play there for a decade. Who knows Kemp may end up there eventually.

21. Pgunn says:

The Cards would give up a draft pick for the right player, as all teams would. You don’t think Bryce Harper would be great for St. Louis in CF?
    The Cardinal Way, then should be, teaching the players you draft how to play. That used to be the Dodger Way.

The Merkin?

W I think the plan is to have Crawford, Kemp, AGon, Ramirez, Guerrero and Puig on the field together all year. That happens, we score more runs. We should once again be at the top of the league in pitching stats.

A big yes on the Cuban SS. Erisbel Arruebarruena. Remember the name.

23. Watford Dodger says:

Yes Badger that is the plan. Time will tell with Kemp (Shoulder, Ankle, Hammy) & Hanley (Nerve damage in back/ Hammy). But I ask u this – do you really think that Hanley’s back is gonna get better with age? I’m concerned that we’re not reading about a course of action by the medical staff to at least try and do something to stop it happening again. Here we are with months before next season and nothing appears be happening. Surely we should be proactive in this. We can’t just help it’s gonna cure itself.
    It seems we will resign Uribe so we know what he brings but not an upgrade. As far as I can see the only potential upgrade is Guerro over M Ellis and the rest depends on the health of Hanley & Kemp not forgetting the injuries incurred by Crawford & Ethier by last season doesn’t fill me with hope they are gonna be fit for 162 games.

24. Pete M. says:

It seems like you’ve been saying it till the cows come in. With the health of Kemp and your cast of characters + LAD pitching…A recipe for the ring…
    The Merkin I think is Wilson…
    Who is this Cuban SS??? Did the last Cuban player turn off the lights before he left???

It IS the plan Pete. Unless Kemp is traded, and I don’t believe he will be, the plan is to get, and keep, everybody healthy. If that doesn’t work the Dodgers are in trouble.

It’s not a stretch to say the Dodgers will pitch well. It IS a stretch to believe all these broken bodies will be on the field for 150 games. It’s possible, but…….

Anybody watching the NIU WMU game? Not that many people there. Looks like a high school stadium. They look pretty good – but it’s Western Michigan, not Michigan State.

Bob, Javier Baez, the Cubs #1 rated prospect, just hit 37 HR as a 20 year old shortstop this past year, and was Cubs #1 pick in 2011 out of HS. Kris Bryant who is rated as Cubs’ #2 prospect in the latest issue of Baseball America, was drafted in the first round (#2 overall) in 2013, and was just named the AFL MVP. There is no way that the Cubs trade that package (or even the individual players) for Ethier (plus $10 million),Lee, Magill and Reed. The Cubs are re-building for the future, and have no need for Ethier, and they’re not about to give up one (let alone two) premium prospects for a bunch of Dodgers suspects. Theo Epstein would be run out of Chicago if he did that. And come to think of it, I don’t think the Cubs could trade Bryant if they wanted to. I believe the rules do not allow a drafted player to be traded until 12 months after the draft. But in Bryant’s case that’s academic, since there is no way the Cubs are even remotely considering trading him.

Badger, in addition to that shortstop there are a number of other Cuban’s who have hit the market recently. I imagine the Dodgers are interested, but how much I don’t know.

I didn’t realize Baez took such a leap this year. Last year he was like the 65th rated prospect, this year he jumped to 16. Wow. As a 20 year old. I wonder if our 19 year old will make such a leap. Doubt it.

You’re right about the Cubans. And those guys can play. I’m all for getting more of those players in our system. They aren’t 18 year olds. They have years of experience. I like the idea of drafting big strong young arms and signing guys like Puig and Guerrero. Works for me.

And by the way, here’s another reason the Cubs aren’t considering Bryant in a trade. They signed him for $6.7 million after the 2013 draft. And Baez who was taken 9th overall in 2011 was signed for $2.7 million. That’s $9.4 million in bonuses. Don’t think the Cubs are just giving those players away. And that money was an investment in a future they’re not going to turn their back on.

Anybody remember the top prospects the Tigers sent to the Marlins for Cabrera? Yeah, me either. They are only prospects until they succeed at the top level. It’s a huge leap.

I remember Maybin and Miller. Totally forgot that Willis was in the trade.

You’re absolutely right Badger that it’s a huge leap. But some of those top guys do actually do make the leap. And I’m sure you know that Ethier would be of very little value to the Cubs, and that their prospects are certainly less suspect than our prospects. And, of course, whether they will ever make the leap or not, their prospects would garner a lot more than the proposed trade above on the open market. But like you said, the Cubs only win every 120 years or so, so for them, holding onto their prospects is the best policy. It’s not as if Ethier and our prospects are going to end their drought.

Are hamstring injuries contagious? Seems they are with the Dodgers.

Don’t agree with this. No way I surrender a first round pick for Stephen Drew. And I doubt if the Dodgers do also.

33. Bob says:

I guess someone must be a Republican senator posting in here without the ability to provide creative solutions or to fix larger problems.

Here is a list of the National league teams and the number of pitching prospects in their Top 20 and Top 10. This list gives an indication of who might be interested in rebalancing their Top 20 Prospect list. The teams on the top of the list may desire more pitchers and the teams on the bottom of this list may desire more position players. There appears to be a few teams that the Dodgers should contact if they wish to rebalance their Top 20 prospect list.

Phillies 6,5
    Brewers 11,5
    Marlins 11,6
    Braves 11,7
    D-Backs 12,7
    Dodgers 13,8
    Giants 14,6

Yeah, those Democrats really have it going on. They fix problems and create bigger problems. You gotta love it!

That’s a good take Brooklyn. With Theo doing the decision making, I believe the Cubs will look to make a team of which Chicago can be proud. When those guys are ready, the Cubs will make a move on the free market for whatever pieces they may need and look out. It wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world for that organization to actually win one. But, not until after we win a few.

Anybody think Mijares is worth it as reclamation project. He was actually pretty dang good against LHB two years ago (.211 .269 .317) He might be able to pick it back up as a LOOGY.

Good info Bob. How many of those prospects are in the Top 50? We just can’t seem to land anyone there. And the problem is not the Senate, the problem is the House. Get rid of those Tea Baggers and maybe some deals for job creation can actually get done.

36. Idaho al says:

Agree Brooklyn, I do not sign Drew and give up a draft choice. I do think the Dodgers are not going to give up any draft choices to sign a free agent. I just is not worth it.

Drew is definitely not worth it. He’s a .250 hitter in LA. If we make any moves, let’s make them on somebody that is actually better than what we have here.

37. Pete M. says:

Before I get wrapped up in the days events and coast into Thur…
    All of you out there have a safe and great Thansgiving…
    Go Blue…Sign Tanaka…

The dead lift for prevention of hamstring injuries. I wonder how many MLB players actually do this?

Stretching as a prevention of injury, believe it or not, is actually controversial. I remember studying that years ago at Chico State. (PE major) Everybody does it of course, but the data actually shows it doesn’t improve performance. Make no mistake, proper warm up is always a good idea, but strength is the most important aspect of preventing muscle injury. Another important aspect? youth. What the Dodgers need to do is not let their guys get older. How do you do that? Easy. Get to bed at 10 every nite, lift weights like a mutherf$%#er and eat raw foods. Go Jack LaLanne after 30.

P.S. – when lifting weights – full ROM.

So let it be written, so let it be done. The Dodgers need to hire these guys as strength and conditioning coaches. One of them I know very well…….

40. Bob says:

There was a rash of hamstring pulls 30-40 years ago in the NBA. Their preventive cure was to add running backwards to their workouts, which appears to have worked for many years. However, it appears that many NBA players no longer use that exercise to prevent pulled hamstrings, which are beginning to happen with more frequency.

Good point Bob. As a former defensive back, we used to run backward all day long. Ran 440′s backward. That was long before the 5 yard rule. I never had hammy issues. Lunges would help. A lot them. Like a 440′s worth of them.

Ted Lilly to retire. Ned, sign him up for one more season, at $15,000,000. Think of this wife and kids. And he might be ready come September when Beckett, Billingsley, Ryu go down. Then he will be a valuable part of the rotation.

Looks like Luis Cruz just landed on his feet. That little run he had with the Dodgers in 2012 is continuing to payoff.

I was wondering why I was getting a message that my commends had already been posted. Didn’t see them post, so I tried to beat the system and reversed my comments. Hence, you see two identical posts above, just in reverse order.

No surprise with Nolasco signing elsewhere. Guess the #5 will sort itself out.

46. Bob says:

Badger, you sparked my interest in the Top 50 prospects which finally became a irritatingly mandatory research project. Putting away real work and spending 10 minutes searching the web for the Top 50 results in the following list ranked only by the best prospect on each team within each league

American 12 of 15 teams have Top 50 prospects
    Twins 1,3,31
    Seattle 4,23
    Indians 5,37,50
    Red Sox 6,27,45(former Dodger)
    Houston 8,18,22,24

Rockies 32
    Phillies 41
    Giants 42
    Dodgers 43,47
    Marlins 44,48
    Braves, Nationals, Brewers N/A

Stan Kasten’s last two teams have none? Does that mean anything?

47. Quasimodo says:

Everything I can find on ‘hamstring strain’ prevention mostly points to ‘Russian curls’ being the best exercise for preventing this injury. Its demonstrated as being on one’s knees with their ankles being held by another and slowly falling forward till your weight forces you to catch yourself with your hands from hitting the ground. Running backwards is exercising the same muscles but with the opposite force. So its probably best to do both.

I believe that one is mentioned in the article I posted Quas. It’s a good one and you’re right, it’s mentioned all over the place.

Damn. Nice work Bob. I peruse those lists quite a bit, but I never did that. What I really find interesting is how quickly all that info changes. Our top prospect list seems to change monthly, but very few reach the top. What doesn’t seem to change is those who are in the top 10 turn out to be pretty darn good.

I know that Logan White is supposed to be a great picker of talent — but what he has picked the last several years has not had many stars in his crown. A few, but not many.

But hey, it is always a crap shoot when picking H.S. and College guys.

Kasten’s last two teams were the Braves and Nationals. The Braves were a while back, so I wouldn’t expect that not having any players in the top 50 has anything to do with him. As for the Nationals, they’ve promoted a lot of their top prospects to the big leagues. Steven Strasburg and Bryce Harper come to mind immediately. They also traded a number of their better prospects for Gio Gonzalez, and I believe that Alex Meyer who is now a top Twins prospect was originally drafted by the Nationals. That could also have been the result of a trade. Also, the architect of the Nationals drafts is Mike Rizzo, their GM, and I believe the former scouting director of the Dbacks.

Kasten appears to have a pretty impressive background.

1. [...] pitches 180 innings in 2014. He could make as much as $26 million over two years. more… Rants & Raves – ladodgertalk.com 11/25/2013 Those of you who thought the Cardinals had interest in Stephen [...]