Put on your seat belts and let’s go outside the box… way outside!

So, without further ado, I am just going to spit (vomit) it out:

• The Dodgers trade  Andre Ethier, Joc Pederson, Dee Gordon, Zach Lee, Ross Stripling (I hate to give him up but they have to) and $30 million dollars to the Milwaukee Brewers for Ryan Braun.  The Brewers need a lot of help and this should actually make them better without breaking the bank.  The Dodgers immediately move Braun to 3B, his original position.  Yes, I know he made a lot of errors at age 23, but get him an infield coach and at 30, he will at least be adequate.  He needs a fresh start.  The Brewers need help.  This gives them a lot.

This is the lineup:

1. Puig  RF
  2. Ramirez  SS
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Braun  3B
  6. Crawford  LF
  7. Guerrero  2B
  8. Ellis  C

If healthy, that is the best lineup in baseball!  OK, call me crazy and vomit, if you must.  I know about Braun’s baggage, but he would be coming home!

For the first time in 20 years, I bought a new vehicle.  Remember, it snows here.

new-2013-ford-f~150

Family time tomorrow.  Looking forward to it, and Saturday at NOON when my son’s team, Cardinal Ritter goes for the State Championship in football at Lucas Oil Stadium.  As a Freshman, he got in for one play in the Semi-State and was in on a tackle.  Go Raiders!

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving.

happythanksgiving-dog

BlackFriday

102 Responses to “Put on your seat belts and let’s go outside the box… way outside!”

Not sure I want Braun for the outfield, but definitely not at 3B. If he wasn’t good there 6 or 7 years ago, he’d probably be worse now, coach or no coach. Braun I believe has a pretty hefty contract himself, so why would you give the Brewers all those players plus $30 million? I’m also thinking that that package plus the $30 million might be able to fetch something just as valuable as Brawn (e.g., Price), but without the warts. And vomit as you might, I wonder how much regurgitation their might be among the players. Not sure he’d be wonderful for team chemistry. As tempting as it might be, I don’t think this is an avenue the Dodgers need to go down. I’m guessing that there are more palatable alternatives, and I’m also guessing that the Dodgers wouldn’t under any circumstances bring aboard the kind of controversy that Braun would bring. Heck, want a power bat of relatively the same age, just surrender our #1 pick (a low #1 pick), and sign Robinson Cano. Guerrero and his balky hamstring can move over to the left side of the infield.

2. Quasimodo says:

Better gather some kindling because that log ain’t catching fire. I do admit it was a fun read. Happy Thanks Giving, Friends. Cheers!

3. Watford Dodger says:

Mark I really like this idea as it would really improve the starting lineup although unfortunately I’m really not sure he’s a potential third baseman. Big difference playing the Hot Corner.
    I also think you are giving up way too much to get him. I would think Milwaukee would almost be glad to get him off their hands – it’s hardly gonna be a great atmosphere with him in the clubhouse after all the lies. Just offer them Ethier & Flash – we need to keep the best prospects. See what they say? Like the idea though – big & bold.
    So Nolasco signs for the Twins ( 4 years $49M). I bet he’s gutted (not about the money) but not getting the gig with the Dodgers. He made it very clear where he wanted to play & to end up on a bunch of no hopers like the Twins must be a blow. I’m sure he will say all the right things but deep down he will be disappointed. I liked him but committing to him for 4 years would have been the wrong move.
    Hope everyone has a great day & look forward to hearing Ned’s done the Braun deal to make it a really memorable day.

Nice truck. Makes me miss my Tundra.

I understand the thinking behind that idea Mark. My initial reaction – is LA the right place for him? He is the guy that cheated Matt Kemp out of a MVP award. I know the people of Wisconsin, and they will likely get over it if he has a good year (and I think he will). He is from Southern California so he might actually welcome the move, but, I don’t see this happening. I do agree with W, that is a lot to give up. How about Pederson, Lee/Stripling and Gordon plus cash. We may need Ethier/Pederson before the year is up as our current outfield appears to be made of crystal. You don’t want to move both Pederson and Ethier at the same time for one 3b dude.

The Twins are one of those teams that have to make the right moves or suffer financial consequences. After opening their new park, attendance was up, but it has gone down the last two years and if they don’t win, it’s likely going down even further. They must feel Nolasco will help them or they wouldn’t have done what they did. I thought we could certainly pay him for 3 years and get close to 600 innings out of him. It’s 12 mil a year, he has proven to be durable, my bet is he earns it.

5. Bob says:

Scott Van Slyke would be a better 3B than Bruan. How about a $1 million dollar bonus contest between Kemp, Puig and Van Slyke to see who can move to 3B by opening day? Did they all start in the outfield because of their speed or because they can’t bend over and catch a ground ball because they have suffered from tight hamstrings since the second grade?

1. Puig 3B
    2. Crawford LF
    3. Kemp CF
    4. Gonzalez 1B
    5. Rameriz SS
    6. Either RF
    7. Guerrero 2B
    8. Ellis C
    9. Kershaw

No I have not opened the cooking cherry yet.

Don’t overcook the cherries Bob.

I think most of those guys are playing the outfield because they can hit and run a little bit. I’m betting most infielders in the Majors started out as shortstops because that is where the action is. Those guys you want to compete for 3b would likely fall all over themselves trying to field a hard ground ball down the line. Puig could probably do it, but, does he really need all that to think about right now? How about we just sign a third baseman, or trade for one, and call it a day?

If you observe Major League outfielders, most of them are standing around watching as the infielders are racing around doing their work. Seems to me I read somewhere that 75% of all action happens on the infield. The infield ground ball is far more challenging than chasing down a fly ball.

7. Idaho al says:

Mark, you are outside the box on this one. I would never give up those players for Braun. He is a cheater, and we do not need cheaters. How would Braun and Kemp get along. Not good. I would rather have Uribe. At least he is liked by the team. I think the Dodgers will try to sign Uribe for 2 years. Then they will go after Tanaka. I think they will look at any offers on the outfielders, but only if it is good for the Dodgers. Otherwise, it will be a quite off season.

Pederson is a must to keep. Why? With Crawford and Kemp as possible medical risks all season, Pederson just might be needed. If he is traded — the farm does not seem to have many other almost ready outfielders to bring up. And Van Slyke was not used last Sept/Oct in any meaningful way — no trust in him; and did not the Dodgers leave him unprotected during the season and any team could have picked him up then!

Key now seem to either sign Kershaw to that contract and get that done — or let him ride and trade him to Texas for Darvish; some kind of creative multi-player trade.

And then go after Price without giving up the farm (Pederson).

This time tomorrow? borborygmus

Roger makes some sense. What is going to be done with Kershaw? Does he maybe want to go finish his career in his home state? If so, sign him and trade him. Darvish could pitch well in Los Angeles and would be a big hit with the community there. Why not? The Dodgers would get the same number of wins out either pitcher. It’s just that Kershaw would cost about 20 million more per year. No biggie. It’s Texas. They got all that oil money down there.

And was already mentioned by a very observant poster earlier, we may need Pederson sooner rather than later. And we don’t know yet if he can hit ML pitching. My bet is we find out this year. We should find out before we trade Ethier. There is nobody else on the farm that is showing they know how to hit.

I think people underrate the defense needed at 3b.

Braun would be like Pedro Guerrero. I think we can get a lot more for all those prospects than a guy who’s out of position. The trade would make sense if we used Braun in LF, but not if we force him to go master another position which he wasn’t even good at when he was younger and more athletic!! Id rather offer all that for a real 3b, like Zimmerman, Longoria, etc (not that we have a shot at those guys)

I still have a gut feeling Chase Headley will be the guy we trade for, and sign to a 4 year extension. Not saying that’s my preference, but I just think that is what will happen.

11. Quasimodo says:

Hmmm, Braun? Complete with question mark. I’m not biting. His dinner with the sample collector and wife seems to me another earful of bullshit. I’m very certain that meeting happened, but there was surely more in it for the invited party than a free meal. Really! Braun got him fired and called him a liar to the world. Braun trying to sell us this bullshit makes me dislike him all the more. I don’t want to cheer for this guy.

12. Bobbie17 says:

Mark, I think you broke the box.

13. Gonzo says:

First and foremost Happy Thanksgiving to you all. About a week ago, I posted a crazy trade idea involving Kershaw going to the Astros for Correa, Springer and Appel. I didn’t get any responses probably due to not being part of the elite group in here, but for the sake of conversation I’ll elaborate again. Doesn’t it seem weird to any of you that Kershaw’s negotiations have basically gone nowhere? The Dodgers have backed up the truck rung the doorbell, but the Kershaws aren’t opening the door.

While Kershaw is a once in a generation talent I am open to LA moving him if he continues to “stall.” I believe him when he says it’s not about the money, but something has got to give. Either get it done or ask for a trade. If he goes into the season with is current contract he’s as good as gone.

Now why would the Astros do this since they are rebuilding? Well getting the best pitcher in the world pitching in front of his hometown in his prime would help sell tickets, but most importantly restock the farm at the deadline if they chose to.

You trade Kershaw — you better get a hell of a talent back for him — not some maybe, pie in the sky, prospects. As I saw above, get Darvish from Texas. One Texas guy for another. Make sense to me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you all (as we say in Texas).

15. SpokaneBob says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone….

Mark wrote: If healthy, that is the best lineup in baseball!

He might be right, but the thing thats jumps out is that WE HAVE everybody in that line up except Braun. That’s a pretty good place to be. I don’t think Braun is the answer at third base. Unless we can get the Cuban shortstop it seems to me that Uribe is the best option available. If he provides gold glove level defense and continues to mentor Puig, I will live with what he can do on offense until we can find someone better.

There’s an elite group in here?

Just checked those guys Gonzo and all of them are better than anybody we got, but that doesn’t mean anything. Only Correa is rated in the top 10 (8). If we trade Kershaw it had better be for more than 1 top 10 talent. With Houston I would want all those guys AND the best SP on the ML club.

17. Watford Dodger says:

Bobby I hope your gut is right even after all it’s gonna put up with today.
    I know we all see things differently but I have always been a huge fan of Headley and think he would be a good fit for us. Great glove and any return to the 2012 numbers would be a big upgrade on the likeable Uribe.
    Hope both the elite and non elite posters will read this post with good grace.

• Bobby says:

Haha, how bout those of of us that aren’t elite form our own crew?

I went to Fresno St, so I’m used to not being part of the elite.

I went to Chico State….. so…. I’m sort of part of the elite. We got ranked in Playboy as the #4 Party School. Go Wildcats!

18. Quasimodo says:

Gonzo, and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I know your voice here is highly regarded. I wish I could have the equal writing skills that you have. On Kershaw, trading him is something I hope Dodgers are not even considering. Thus I really have no input other than hopes that it won’t happen. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Dodgers and Kershaw had long ago reached an agreement as both seem to be elusive with what they want disclosed. All’s we can do is count teeth in the horse’s mouth before he opens it. I’ve got to think that the things that ain’t all about the money favor the Dodgers organization above others. I mean, what is it so charming about playing elsewhere?

It’s probably the effete elite.

I guess I’m just naive, but somehow I’m not overly concerned about the Kershaw thing. I’m guessing that there are discussions going on behind the scenes, or that there is some sort of understanding that has tabled this thing for the time being.

I know that the ball flies out of the Ballpark in Arlington, and if memory serves, I believe that Minute Maid Park in Houston is also a hitting haven. I know that Kershaw is from Texas, but why in the world would he even consider the risks inherent in moving to such ballparks when he has the luxury of piling up his stats in the spacious, heavy air ballparks of the NL West? Plus, although I personally do not think he’s Sandy Koufax all over again, I still believe that he’s the closest thing I’ve seen to that, and to some degree he’s linked with Koufax’s legacy. That has value, and I think Kershaw recognizes it. And finally, in the end, I cannot see the Dodgers letting anyone outbid them for Kershaw.

As for the proposed trade for Kershaw above. Those are some very good prospects, but they’re prospects. It would take them and a whole lot more to pry Kershaw loose from the Dodgers.

Baseball business resumes tomorrow, and should heat up with the Winter Meetings scheduled, I believe, to begin at the end of next week.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

20. Quasimodo says:

At age 21 I lived a short while with my grandparents in Tulare and worked for Josten’s yearbook in Visalia and saw many assortments schools wanted printed in yearbooks. I am able to say that several dentist schools party’d most hard. Shockingly, that’s a very wild bunch! Who’d of thunk it?

Happy ” Don’t get in a fight with the in-laws while breaking bread day.”
    Totally agree with Brooklyn on Clayton i.e. preferable parks for him and his bigger than life legacy under construction in LA. Besides all that, I believe Claytons currently in Africa and think it’ll be an early X-mas present for the faithful.
    Don’t know why everyone is on the 3rd baseman thing, NOW! Except for a couple Beltre seasons the Blue have been without since Ron Ceys days.

The only player I would trade Kershaw for is Mike Trout; that’d be like trading Sandy Koufax for Mickey Mantle

I think I did trade a Koufax for a Mantle. Mickey was my favorite player so I got as many of his cards as I could.

23. SCDodgerfan says:

As a life long Dodger fan I don’t want to think of Kershaw pitching for anyone, but the Dodgers. On the other hand as a fiscal conservative I can see a huge advantage for Kershaw pitching and living in Texas from a tax perspective. His conservative values would also be more at home in Texas. That being said, I hope he stays in LA.

24. Bob says:

I finally did brake out the cooking sherry and arrived at the following idea.

I want to invent an inflatable strike zone. When a pitcher disagrees with the umpire 5 times or more he should, instead of allowing the manager to pinch hit for him, place an inflatable strike zone under his windbreaker. When he arrives at the plate he simply unbuttons his windbreaker and pulls the cord and the inflatable strike zone emerges. It can be made from the same polythene material as a traditional life preserver. It will be shaped like the outline of the strike zone, that we see on the television, with a horizontal polythene support from the strike zone border to the harness attached to the pitcher’s torso.

Obviously the umpire will throw the pitcher out of the game before the first pitch and a pinch hitter will replace him, which is what most fans wanted anyway, but it would be a great laugh. Long life Jay Johnstone and Bill Veeck.

Tax perspective? Who are, Phil Mickelson?

Yeah, there would be some savings, but if I’m not mistaken the jock tax for MLB players is based on “duty days”. Maybe they have changed that but Clayton Kershaw is on rich dude no matter where he plays.

Does anyone know where the Kershaw’s actually live? Obviously they are both from Texas so I just assumed they lived there. I would also assume they would want to raise any children in a Texas, not only because of their “conservative” values, but because both of their families are there.

• Roger Dodger says:

They rent when in the L.A. are — they OWN a home in Texas where they are from.

So my money is on the fact — that they really want to go back to Texas and that does not mean Houston, but DALLAS or the Rangers –

– if he does not sign with the Dodgers soon – trade him for Darvish.

26. Quasimodo says:

Badger, you familiar with that group ‘walking dead’ Marines in Vietman back then? If you had met them you might remember a guy named Billy Brisbane.

27. Quasimodo says:

Billy is a very good friend of mine. He was 17 years old in Vietnam in 67 (him and his mother lied about his age, so he could get in. He spooks very easy these days and its fun to take advantage of that, it keeps his heart in shape. Haven’t seen him in a couple years as he went up to stay with his sister in Wash. His names not Brisbane, its Brisbin. I must of had Australia in my head.

Do him and those around him a huge favor – don’t spook him. Every one of those guys in 9th Marines is walking around with a level of PTSD. it’s not to be trifled with.

28. Quasimodo says:

In that movie of them they were portrayed as mostly black. But from Billy’s photos I’m guessing maybe 20% black. Not more. Not that that matters but it draws an incorrect picture. I should of said Billy startles easily. So its something short lived. I could tell you a couple stories that I laugh when I think of them, so would you.

This is a very sensitive issue for me.

Many grunts were from inner cities. Half my platoon in boot camp was from Detroit and most of those guys became infantry. 26th Marines was what they call a “reactionary” batallion. Whenever shit broke out anywhere we were put on helicopters and dropped in the middle of it. Seemed 9th Marines weren’t very far from wherever we were. Being startled easily is sign of PTSD. It happens to me too. Sleep is tough, 2-3 hours of good sleep is about all some guys get. I might laugh at some things, but, having PTSD is certainly not one of them. It never goes away. Some learn to manage it, I have, but, the damage is done. Do you have any idea how many combat vets have taken their own lives over the years? Or how many are doing it every day in this country?

This is one reason why I was dead set against the Irag/Afghanistan war. I saw another Vietnam. I had this argument with Mark when it broke out, turns out I was right. Now we have thousands of phucked up Vets with no place to turn. The government is quick to send them in, because the money made in war is so damn good. But care for them when they get back? No way. These guys and their families will suffer for decades. You probably have no idea the nightmares that live inside your friend’s head.

Maybe it’s time for a new topic.

• Bobby says:

I didn’t serve, Badger, but from the research Ive done about post war traumatic syndrome, you’re 100% right.

This is why I hope to God we don’t go running to fight Iran or anyone else. The casualties during war and after war are too scary to think about.

I feel for the vets because the guy who lost his leg is seen as a war hero, while the guy who has mental issues for the rest of his life is seen as some wimp. It’s only the physical damage done to soldiers that the public sees. We don’t want to think about what these guys saw during combat and experienced during combat which will affect them forever.

This isn’t political; it’s just human.

Anybody want to invite Brad Penny to Spring Training? He says after a year of intense training, he is ready to pitch again. Hey, an invite doesn’t cost anything. OK, maybe he would be a liability at the buffet table, but, who knows, perhaps his “tired” arm is ready to get a few outs in the 7th inning.

I have two Irag/Afghanistan vets working for me. There are both huge assets to our company. I also have a very close friend who is a Captain in the Army (I am the Godfather of his son) who did two tours in Iraq.

All function at a high level, but two are in counseling and it is helping them a lot. The other one seems to have no issues whatsoever. He is a solid citizen, a single parent from the inner city and a major credit to African- Americans everywhere.

Many are Mark. Until they aren’t. Much of it depends on what they did and what they witnessed. Sometimes it takes years for the pain to manifest. But the stats on veteran suicide continues to be alarming. And we don’t hear much about it. Bad press for the war machine. Often they kill themselves before they hurt anyone else.

I’ve said for decades now, corporations need a new paradigm. Figure out how to create billions by making peace. People don’t listen. And soldiers pay the price.

31. Quasimodo says:

I’ve known many Vets before they went to Vietnam and after they returned. And you’re very right about the damage that occurred in nearly all of their lives. More than one of my friends have committed suicide, and several ended in prison. And also some who returned in boxes. And I can tell you that our courts of law treat the Vietnam Vet harsher than other citizens. But talking about Billy, I guess you’d have to of been there to understand the joyful times we shared. You can rest assured that no harm was done to him of the fun I’m speaking of, quite the opposite. John Steinbeck should of been there as he’d surely have something to write about in all this.

32. voldomer says:

Roger, you stole my trade idea!

Here’s what I proposed: Kershaw and Ethier for Darvish and Beltre.

If I am Texas, I make that trade.

34. Quasimodo says:

Everyone’s experience is different even when experiencing the same event. Every christian see’s God through their own mind’s eye, though you’d never get a christian to say their God is different than another’s. A person that’s been damaged physically or mentally has a harder time saying they’re a good person as they deal with some degree of torment. To get my meaning I’ll refer to the movie ‘Saving Private Ryan’. At the end of that movie Ryan through tears telling his wife to tell he’s a good man. I’m sure you cried at that part, Badger. I did too. I wish I had this thing to do all over again, sadly.

35. Watford Dodger says:

Had to look up what Effete meant Brooklyn. Got a new word for my vocabulary now.

Drew Butera (never heard of him) hit .187 at AAA last year and just got handed a $700K contract. Can someone explain that to me?

Yeah, I read that. But I also read this:

.187 at AAA.

The bat boy could hit .187 there. We have no better options than that? And if not, why that high an offer? Considering .187, wouldn’t a half million be about a half million too much?

Did I mention he hit .187?

37. Quasimodo says:

A backup’s backup is the only answer that can fit. There has to be some one available when the damn DL bell tolls for whomever. How good of a catcher is he? I haven’t a clue.

Who cares. This is a guy who literally can’t hit his weight.

We have to be able to do better than that.

Just checked – dWAR of 0 and an OPS+ of -18. A negative OPS+! I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. This guy is worth offering a contract like that? Yeah, I know, non guaranteed. I think we have to be able to do better.

39. Watford Dodger says:

Just read some great news over at True Blue LA – Hanley talking about a contract extension & more importantly, working on a program to strengthen his lower back. That is encouraging.
    Butera is just there to catch Bullpen sessions – but how that is worth k700 is beyond me.

40. RogerCraig says:

You guys spend more time worrying about a fringe player like Butera who makes 700K than the chump Crawford who is due 100K. Geeze, get some perspective.

Uh, I think Crawford makes more than that Craig. He is due that much this afternoon. Hey, at least he is a Major League player.

Butera is one hell of a bullpen catcher.

Nothing gets by him.

He is the most feared .187 hitter in the minor leagues.

And he has pictures of Ned . . .

Non-guaranteed is just that, non-guaranteed. Apparently the Dodgers avoided arbitration with Baxter, Butera and Elbert. I’m not sure of the rules, but perhaps an arbitration award is guaranteed, whereas these contracts are not. Maybe it enables the Dodgers to avoid non-tendering these guys, while giving them a chance in spring training to determine whether or not any of them has value as organizational depth.

I don’t think the Dodger have very much, if any, organizational depth at catcher that’s anywhere close to the big leagues. Butera is probably viewed as defensively qualified to fill-in in an emergency. How else has he managed to keep his career going with his anemic offensive numbers? But in the end, none of these guys is guaranteed anything, so really, it doesn’t matter.

Of course, Brooklyn, Steve Yeager only hit .228 over 15 years.

And by the way, Butera is a lifetime .181 major league hitter.

And If Butera would have had just 23 more hits (he is 90 for 497) or a total of 113 rather than the 90 hits — he would be the new Steve Yeager.

We have a jewel in the making here . . .

44. Jason says:

I’m not worried that Kershaw owns a home in Texas. How many athletes across the board rent/own homes in the city they play for and own homes in their home state. I bet it’s not 100% but it’s probably pretty darn close.

I guess Brooklyn has a point. Not knowing the rules either, just seeing 700k for a terminally minor league catcher irks me. If we can’t do better than that something is wrong. Heck, find one of Molina’s cousins and give him the job. Anybody in that family can wake up and hit .180. In fact, they don’t need to wake up, they can all hit .180. Grandma Molina can hit .180. Sign her up.

Agreed, sign-up Grandma Molina. Grandpa Molina also.

Regarding Hanley, Ken Gurnick has this to say:

“Ramirez has told the club he would be willing to move back to third base”. He also added that Ramirez is reported to have said that “he wants to finish his career with the Dodgers because they revived his career after things went sour in Florida.”

Maybe I’m just naive, but I just don’t see any good Hanley bad Hanley in any of that. Even if Hanley did some stupid things in Miami, for whatever reasons, isn’t it at least somewhat conceivable that he’s matured since then, and that he’s also learned to appreciate what he has now, if only because he’s experienced both the bad and the good. Maturity combined with real world experience can do a great deal to change a persons perspective.

So maybe the Dodgers need not go out looking for a third baseman. A shortstop could also be on their shopping list. As for Uribe, if he’s willing to sign on with the idea of being a backup at the corners, and there’s room to fit him in, that’s OK with me. Otherwise, if the Dodgers can bring in an accomplished big league shortstop (probably via trade), I’d be willing to pass on Uribe if he wants more than I suggested above.

Extend him.

And sign the Cuban SS.

48. Quasimodo says:

Brook, yes, maybe the reasons you state Hanley goes to 3B. Maybe he’s listened to all the suggestions everywhere that would be a better fit for him. Now as that position meets his approval 3B might a better spot. Still we want to keep Manley (Hanley) happy.

49. SpokaneBob says:

Exactly!

50. SpokaneBob says:

Quas got in ahead of me. I was in agreement about getting the Cuban shortstop.

51. Bob says:

Are Cuban players headed to Japan? Will that create a need for a two tier system for posting Japan League players? Should non-defecting players who are allowed to move from Cuba to Japan be required to participate in the same posting program as players raised I Japan?

52. Bob says:

Extend Ramirez at 3B and sign Furcal and Izturis for one year to play SS.

Post from 5 minutes ago deleted?

Will Cuban players who are allowed to travel to Japan be included in the Japan League posting system or will there be a special rule for them?

After I posted the above it occurred to me that in addition to the Dodgers trading for an accomplished big league shortstop, I would also be amenable to a highly rated prospect. Also, I read some stuff about the Cuban shortstop mentioned here a while back, and what I read raised questions about his bat. Also, I can’t remember them all, but there are a number of recent Cuban defections on the market. And finally, don’t get the idea that because a player is from Cuba he’s automatically going to be the next Puig, Cespedes, or Chapman. There have been players that came over from Cuba that have not measured up.

Whatever the case, be it a Cuban shortstop or someone else, I would think that shortstops might well be on the Dodgers shopping list. And although reports indicate that Guerrero is best suited for 2B, it’s also true that he’s played short. Maybe the Dodgers will find a second baseman. I really don’t know, and like everybody else, I’ll just sit back and wait to see what happens.

Winter meetings are set for December 9-12, just a little over a week away. Things should begin to liven up between now and then.

If Cubans are going to be allowed to sign with foreign teams without having to defect, that would seem to mean that teams like the Dodgers will be signing players directly out of Cuba. Who knows, there may be multiple Cuban shortstops to choose from.

There were many ML All Stars in the WBC. And Arruebarruena played right along with them. He is allegedly a wizard with the glove and only 23 so he can learn how to hit better. He hit over .300 in Cuba and in the WBC so it’s not like he is Mark Belanger with the bat. Even if he was I’d take Belanger on this team and so would the staff.

56. Anonymous says:

Arruebarruea will never make it, name too long.

Go Auburn!

I’m not advocating that the Dodgers don’t sign Arruebarruena, I’m just saying that there are questions concerning his bat, and that I’m not yet convinced that he can be penciled into a big league lineup (especially on a team contending for a championship) at this stage. However, if the Dodgers’ scouts are convinced he’s ready, then it’s OK by me. I’ve never seen him and they have. It would also depend on the kind of offense the Dodgers can generate around him. Hopefully everyone is healthy, and Guerrero produces at 2B.

And on the lighter side, his name is shorter than Saltalamacchia. So much for his name being too long.

In sum, I’ll let the Dodgers make the decision on whether or not to sign him. And if they do, I’ll hope for another Wizard, who by the way, did learn to hit later in his career.

Oh, and I’ll take another Omar Vizquel, who also learned to hit later in his career.

What a weekend for football.

Guerrero is also a SS. The two of them up the middle could be fun to watch.

OK, sign the SS. I watched the video . . .

But best not to have him at SS and Puig in left field, nor

him at 2B and Puig in right field —

Because they would keep running into each other with their style of play.

61. Quasimodo says:

A week after the fact, it was still great fun watching the greatest boxer of this era. Manny Pacquiao, champion of more divisions than any one in the history of boxing.

Here’s a few more Cubans who should eventually be cleared to sign. Guess there might be some signing activity within the next few weeks. Arruebarruena’s name sure takes up a lot of space on the back of his uniform (watch the video below). Nice heads up play.

Roger, just imagine Puig in centerfield with both of his Cuban compatriots at short and 2B on a shallow fly ball to CF.

There must be a Cuban catcher worth signing. Cuba strong up the middle.

Some of the best college football games I have ever seen yesterday.

Any opinion on the Winston case being delayed? No hurry. It can wait until after the billion dollars has been made.

Btw, I got FSU vs Auburn in the Big One. Don’t believe in Ohio State. Weak conference. Of course, Auburn has 1 more to go.

WE are overlooking something here.

They must have a hot-shot CATCHER there in Cuba on some team.

Why are we not signing up that guy !!!!!

Our English speaking only pitchers can learn Spanish . . .

Sorry Badger, just saw your post ahead of mine. But a catcher we need.

W don’t need any catcher; we have Drew Butera

Badger, this is from the article I posted above which mentions a few more Cubans.

“Earlier this month, catcher Yenier Bello, right-handed pitcher Rogelio Armenteros and first baseman Yozzen Cuesta, who are all from Cuba, starred in a showcase in Tijuana, Mexico.

Bello, 28, who is represented by Bryce Dixon of the Primo Sports Group, left Cuba for Ecuador earlier this year and later established residency in Mexico. He has been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball but cannot enter into an agreement with a club until he has been cleared by OFAC.”

So there is a catcher. How good is he? I don’t have a clue.

Catching is definitely a position where I’d like to see a few more Dodger prospects. Meanwhile, however, I don’t think the Dodgers catching is terribly bad on the offensive side, and it’s quite good defensively. I think Fedex is fine as a backup, but A.J. Ellis isn’t getting any younger, so it would be nice to see some depth. Maybe there was a great young catcher among the international signings the last couple of years that we still don’t know anything about. But fear not, as Bobby tells us, we do have Drew Butera.

Yeah, catching is an area we could use some depth in, obviously. AJ turned out better than anyone expected him to be, and it has been a LONG time since have had anyone that was really good offensively – as in Mike Piazza. That’s a scar many of us will carry forever. We let him go, then give his money to the surly Kevin Brown. Yuk. That’s just bad karma.

I say we go all Cuba all over the place. We could be Cuba Good-ing all over the diamond.

ok that was weak…. hey, it’s early.

Un cubano quería escaparse de la isla y se le ocurrió irse con el circo de Moscú, que visitaba Cuba. Para realizar su plan se disfrazó de mono y se metió en la jaula de los animales. Estaba ya por salir de la isla con el circo, cuando llega el domador y mete a los leones a la misma jaula. El tipo, desesperado, comenzó a gritar “¡AUXILIO, AUXILIO!” y a tratar de quitarse el traje de mono, cuando uno de los leones le dice: “Imbécil, quédate callado, o nos jodes la salida de la isla a todos !!!!”

Get used to it.

“Moving Matt Kemp would require the Dodgers to eat some of the $128MM he’s owed over the next six years. If L.A. knocks that down to $80-90MM, the market is expected to open up.”

Screw that. You want Kemp? Give us your top 4 prospects and we will give you Kemp and everything that comes with him.

69. Quasimodo says:

At ‘Think Blue LA’ is a pretty interesting story (for me anyways) that points out how our new owners are turning over every stone. I’m fairly certain some here have known what a ‘crosschecker’ is, I didn’t. If Dodgers are in the short depth for catchers, it appears they are truly scouring the planet. Gotta feel good that Dodgers are covering so many bases.

Just got my mail from yesterday, and in it was the latest issue of Baseball America with the NL West top 10′s. Haven’t had a chance to look at it in depth, but here’s the list.

#1 – Joc Pederson
    #2 – Corey Seager
    #3 – Julio Urias
    #4 – Zach Lee
    #5 – Chris Anderson
    #6 – Chris Withrow – yeah, I was surprised he qualified for this list.
    #7 – Alexander Guerrero
    #8 – Chris Reed
    #9 – Onelki Garcia
    #10 – Ross Stripling

They also have a list of the top 15 players in the organization 25 and under. They are:

#1 – Yasiel Puig
    #10 – Onelki Garcia
    #11 – Ross Stripling
    #12 – Jose Dominguez
    #13 – Tom Windle
    #14 – Yimi Garcia
    #15 – Dee Gordon

I’m guessing BA used the start of the season as the cut-off for the age 25 list. That’s the only thing that explains why Dee Gordon, born 4-22-88 (25 when the season opens) made the list, and why Clayton Kershaw, born 3-19-88 (26 when the season opens)didn’t.

72. Anonymous says:

11 of the 15 under 25 years of age future stars are pitchers yet the Dodgers are talking about locking up 4 starting pitchers for the next 3-5 more years. Maybe they can do without Tanaka or trade some pitching prospects for a good catching prospect. Signing Haren for one year, plus an option year, was a good deal. But does that mean they will not resign Billingsley for 2015?

Looks like Magill has completely dropped off the radar.

With 5 positions left on the roster, and 2-3 players that can still be DFA’d, Ned should consider just signing 5 players to fill the obvious position needs of one reliever, #6 starter/long reliever, third base or short stop, and two reserve infielders. Once the minimum team is set then Ned can sign more players such as Tanaka, and Wilson, while releasing Sellers and Guerra or League.

Ned needs to force Hanley’s hand before deciding what direction to go this off season regarding a 2 year singing of a shortstop or a third baseman.

If Ned has someone in mind that is better than Wilson for the 8th innings and once and awhile closer — just who is this flame thrower?????

Well, if his command improves that flamethrower could be Jose Dominguez. Or Withrow could step up, or at some point in the season it could even be Billingsley. Or maybe there are moves still to be made, or there’s a surprise in the farm system that will step up. I’m not particularly worried about that, since there’s lots of time between now and the start of the season. Maybe signing Wilson would have helped, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. Wilson looked strong at the end of the season, but really didn’t have too many innings on his arm in 2013. He’s coming off his second TJ, so signing him to a multi-year deal has its risks. The Dodgers are reputed to have some good arms in the system. Maybe it’s time that they started to use some of them.

1. [...] Put on your seat belts and let’s go outside the box… way outside! When I first tell you this, you will want to vomit!  I guarantee it, because that’s what happened to me when I first thought of it. So, without further ado, I am just going to spit (vomit) it out: The Dodgers trade  Andre Ethier, Joc Pederson, Dee Gordon, Zach Lee, Ross Stripling (I hate to [...]… [...]

2. [...] Dan Haren a few days ago, and now it’s official: he’s headed to Min more… Put on your seat belts and let’s go outside the box… way outside! – ladodgertalk.com 11/28/2013 When I first tell you this, you will want to vomit!  I [...]