Maybe the answer is to trade Hanley

I have been trying to figure out how the Dodgers can keep Hanley happy when maybe the best thing is just to keep everybody happy.  You saw what a Happy Hanley can do last season, and he really enhanced his value.  So, I am going to purpose the unthinkable – maybe the Dodgers should trade Hanley Ramirez.  He’s still young.  He’s coming off a year when he has shown he can still be one of the greatest players in the game and maybe some will value that.

I happen to think that Hanley is not programmed  to be a third-baseman.  I think he has difficulty with that position and if he’s not a SS, then he would be better suited at 2B, not 3B.  The problem is that Alex Guerrero is the Dodgers future 2B, so Hanley can’t move there and I also think it would benefit him to be in the AL where he could DH once or twice a week.

I’ll just lay it out:  Hanley Ramirez and Andre Ethier to the Rangers for Elvis Andrus and Adrian Beltre.  In one fell swoop the Dodgers have replaced three-quarters of their infield and they don’t have to pay any of either players salary.  The Rangers are looking for more power and Ethier and Ramirez should supply it.  Shoot, Andre could be re-energized by the move.   Beltre holds down 3B until Seager is ready and we have 75% of our infield with Gold Gloves.

The only thing left to do is sign Tanaka, Wilson and Howell.

Lineup:

1. Crawford  LF
  2. Andrus  SS
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Beltre  3B
  6. Puig  RF
  7. Guerrero  2B
  8. Ellis C

I’m excited at that lineup.

What do you think?

Homeland_Security

101 Responses to “Maybe the answer is to trade Hanley”

1. Pete M. says:

Mark, say it’s not true!!! I’ve waited for a middle of the order guy to help out Kemp and others and add a color to the squad for a long time…And now!??!!?
    Not too damn bad really after the shock subsides. Stellar SS for years to come and my boy Beltre comes home. Helluva mentor for Seager..
    Do you think Beltre balks at coming back to L.A.???
    P.S. Two Adrians in the IF. That’s special…

2. Quasimodo says:

Wow, that’s sure outside the box. I’m certain you’re not married to that idea and are just tossing in debate fuel. All that needs to be done to get that idea out of your head would be a feed of Hanley’s swing. Its hard to think of any better. Whenever I get to see HanRam showcased with several PA’s, I say out loud “goddamn! Wow, that’s beautiful!” I can’t say I’d explore your idea, Mark. Perhaps I lack the imagination. I also hope Dodgers F/O lacks it too.

3. Quasimodo says:

Okay, I’ve been thinking about it harder and I will admit that it makes sense at more than one level. But here I am as the kind of Dodger fan that doesn’t except easily radical changes. Loney comes to mind and AGon still had to earn his bones before I could appreciate that switch. But I’m much more a HanRam fan than I was a Loney fan. Maybe its not that far out of the box, but it is to me.

Eh, I doubt Beltre puts up his 5 WAR in Los Angeles. Those are AL numbers. I just looked at his splits (and why does he have a negative dWAR last year?) and he pounds the ball in places like Boston and Houston (and at home) but in Inter-league he has a .644 OPS. Plus, he will be 35 in April. You want to watch him fade in LA while Hanley puts up monster numbers playing in those AL Little League parks?

And I don’t buy the premise that Hanley can’t play third base. Of course he can. He just doesn’t want to. Maybe if we land that Cuban whiz kid SS he would change his mind.

I wouldn’t do it. Hanley is happy. And he isn’t that bad at short.

Having said that, if it should happen I would embrace it.

How about we find a decent professional third baseman to occupy that spot for three years until Seager is ready? There has to be a way to do that without having to ship our best hitter off. Come on Jed, put something together. Time to earn your big bucks.

5. jhallwally says:

I love it!!!! I wish our management could think abstractly…..

Mark, you make a great case to bring the DH to the National League. Keep Hanley for SS and to DH twice a week.

As for 3B for Hanley, in the future . . . there will be more days in the not too distant future — when Hanley will have a bad day/ playing SS. Not making plays, missing up plays, and feeling embarrassed. Then IT WILL COME TO HIM that maybe HE NEEDS TO MOVE TO THIRD BASE so as not to be embarrassed. That would be HIS decision.

As for Hanley and the Dodgers, if Hanley were not there last season, not sure the Dodgers do what they did in those 50 games. Beltre would have helped, but not like Hanley did.

7. Quasimodo says:

Very true. The only thing Marks lineup lacks is Hanley Ramirez. He’ll still be on a 2014 mission. There is no way he’s not a Dodger at the end of next season.

8. Bill says:

Are you crazy?

9. Bobbie17 says:

I think we are all killing time.

10. jerry says:

hi agree with mark on hanley ..he seem to have to double grip the ball ..and if he had to do that on a bunt ..he would not be a good third baseman..

11. Bob says:

Since people are being very creative today how about this?

Dodger trade
    1. Matt Kemp
    2. Plus $5-7 million per year, thus paying his salary down to $15 million per year
    3. Zach Lee #3 prospect

To the St. Louis Cardinals for
    1. Shelby Miller
    2. Oscar Traveres CF #1 prospect, who should be ready to start in the MLB in 2014

Dodgers trade
    1. Andre Ethier
    2. Plus $3-6.5 million per year, thus paying salary down to $12.5 million per year
    3. Reed #6 prospect
    4. Beckett
    5. Plus $7.5 million, thus paying salary down to $10 million for 2014

for
    1. Plouffe 3B,
    2. Thielbar Left Handed reliever

These moves should give them the salary cap room to sign Tanaka, and extend Kershaw and Rameriz and sign relievers and bench players.

1. Kershaw
    2. Greinke
    3. Ryu
    4. Miller
    5. Tanaka

1. Puig
    2. Crawford
    3. Rameriz
    4. Gonzalez
    5. Plouffe
    6. Traveras
    7. Guerrero
    8. Ellis

One reason why these moves make some sense is that the Dodger transition time to become the team that is building from within would become a little bit longer, and pitching wins World Series rings.

Of course if we are being really creative the Dodgers could then make room in 2014 for Billingsley and Fife, and in 2015 for promotions of their minor league pitchers by trading
    Kershaw and Plouffe to the Rangers for Beltre since it appears that Ellen might want Clayton to move home after the 2015 season anyway.

Ok that last trade was a little over the top for some of you.

12. SpokaneBob says:

It took a while last year for this team to come together and discover the chemistry we finally enjoyed. Shipping Hanley off for a new left side kind of puts us back to square one. And what does that say to future players we may want to sign…that just as you relocate we may change our minds and trade you away. I also agree with Badger’s point about Beltre’s age. So I keep Hanley at short for now but I do not extend him until I see how he holds up this year and if we may get the new Cuban shortstop to improve our options. If that were to happen Hanley may agree to 3rd if the move were tied to a new contract. And I would also like to see what a healthy and happy Hanley would be able to do over the course of a full season….especially with Kemp and others also in the line up.

On Hot Stove today they interviewed Casey McGehee who had a comeback year in Japan and is looking for a job in the majors this year. He is 31 years old, can play 1st and 3rd and has a little pop. Maybe he could be part of our bench.

Heard that the Dodgers are trying to sign Uribe but he is looking for a 3 year deal. He will probably sign for 2 years.

Nothing is over the top this time of year Bob. Though I’m not sure I follow you on the Trevor Plouffe deal. Why him? And you want to put a prospect in CF? OK. I’d bet the St. Louis management, and their fans, would love that deal. But, at least you are putting some thought into this. If Matt Kemp doesn’t rebound, that’s a great deal for LA. If he does, St. Louis is in the series again next year.

I’m sure the hitters Mark is talking about would love going to Texas. Ethier could put up a 5 WAR easy down there, and Hanley would improve on his 5.4 WAR. The guys coming back here would both drop a full WAR point in LA.

Any SS worth his sodium could make the move to third base. I did both positions in college and it’s an easy move. ARod did it, others have done it, Hanley could do it.

How about this guy?

Tanaka and a couple more Cubans and we are good to go.

14. Watford Dodger says:

Mmmmm tempting – I like the thinking – but it’s a no from me I’m afraid. Would love to trade Beltre for Ethier obviously but the problem for me is the Andrus/ Hanley swap. We lack punch already & Hanley is our biggest threat. With a whole season Hanley would have seen him as a potential MVP candidate. We have a SS who hits for power – very rare. Andrus is a better SS but the lack of power and numbers – all less than Hanley mean that it would be a net loss for us. Definately a no but this is the kind of thinking that is needed – big & bold. We must improve. Have no problem moving Ethier.

Wow we put Shawn Tolleson on waivers, and Texas just claimed him.

Don’t like losing this guy for no reason

16. Idaho al says:

No! No! No!. Hanley is not the best short stop, but he is adequate. I do not want Beltre. He is getting too old I would take Andrus if the move to third was ok with Hanley. If you have a disgruntled Hanley on your team, we are in trouble. Either or Crawford for Andrus would be ok. We need Hanley on our team.

Moving Tolleson and losing him — might be that more are coming on the roster.

For some reason, not known here, the Dodgers did not see him with a future (here), but other pitchers in the system instead. Fooled me.

Some guys will be signed and not placed on the 40 man roster, but given a minor league contracts with an invite to the major league Spring Training camp.

So we are talking about:

1 – filling up a couple of holes of 3B & 2B and the pen, plus one starter.

2 – major overhaul of trading one or two outfielders, moving a starting pitcher even Jansen and even Hanley.

#1 is easy. #2 is hard because of team chemistry concerns.

I just hope there is a real plan, and the plan goes as planed.

Oh, this Tanaka guy — if a decision is not made until Dec 30 and then 30 days to see if and when he will sign —— means the starting 5 will not be known until late Jan or early Feb. And most of the other big name pitchers will most likely have moved to their new teams. Makes me feel uneasy.

Oh, I would consider signing Henry Blanco (Hank White) to a contract.

He might be 42, but he started in the Dodger system. As a 3rd baseman; he had the best infield arm in the Dodger system. When they moved him to catcher — he was great at throwing out runners. If he still has the arm — I sign him. Take a look.

If the Yankees can walk out of ARod’s contract — and he is free to roam — and MLB cannot finally prove that he is a druger —

Think about offering him a 1 year contract for $2 for the year. Not 2 million, but 2 dollars. Give him 200 square feet for an office space and call it a day. 3rd base is filled. And place the number 2 on his back.

20. Quasimodo says:

Fielder’s gone to Texas and Kinsler to Tigers. So likely there’s less reason for Texas to be the team for Dodgers to trade with. And I think that’s a good thing.

I’m too tired to read all of this stuff. First off, forgetting the Ethier/Andrus part of the deal, there is no way I trade Hanley to get the 35 year old Beltre. And, I believe, there is no way the Dodgers do it either.

Regarding the proposal to send Kemp to St. Louis for Oscar Taveras. There is no way the Cardinals do that, even straight up (even with the included money). Taveras is their extremely highly rated #1 prospect, and if I remember correctly, about 22 years of age. The Cardinals would be nuts to do it, and quite frankly, the Cardinals aren’t nuts. And the second part of that deal that has Zach Lee going to St. Louis with Shelby Miller coming to LA, is without a doubt something that the Cardinals wouldn’t even consider. Zach Lee is a potential #3, whereas Shelby Miller has already demonstrated that he’s a quality big league pitcher, who may well someday rate as a #1 or #2.

Quite frankly, all these proposed deals are starting to bore me. Think I’ll just wait for something to actually happen, and then comment on it.

• StL Fan says:

Am responding a little late…..but you took the words right out of my mouth. I could safely say that the Cards would not make that deal. For what it is worth, Oscar Taveras is the best hitting prospect to come through the Cardinals organization since a guy named Pujols. And when considering that he will be earning something closer to the minimum salary for a couple of years….no way. Why do you think the Cardinals aren’t resigning Beltran? The same reason. And to be quite honest most Cardinal fans would prefer Beltran for the next 2 years over Matt Kemp.

Good trade for Texas. Better than Ethier.

Taveras is a prospect. Kemp is a star. I think St Louis would listen to that deal as long as Kemp checked out physically. I also don’t think it could ever happen. Kemp is likely ours because of the enormity of that contract and the fact he is not currently fit to play.

I like talking trades. It’s just part of the off season. But I hear you Brooklyn. Until our team actually does something, the off season in baseball is long and cold.

I like that trade for both teams.

Tex gets a huge bat who will hit 40 hr in that ballpark, and gets rid of an expensive piece they did not need. Det gets rid of a contract they did not want, adds a needed 2b, gets to move fat Miguel Cabrera to 1b, and saves cash to pay their other guys.

And I”m happy for us as I did NOT want Kinsler for this team. Now maybe if Tex still wants Ethier, they can give us some prospects, which I’d prefer as well!

Brooklyn,

You don’t have to participate in what if trade scenarios – it’s fine, but I guarantee the Dodgers do this all the time. Most of the ideas never come to pass, for lots of reasons.

On Adrian Beltre verses Hanley Ramirez:

In 16 major league seasons, Adrian has had 11 seasons over 600 AB’s and 4 over 500. Just one below 500!

In 9 major league seasons, Hanley has had 6 seasons over 600 AB’s and 3 seasons under 400 AB’s, including the last one.

I like Betre’s chances of being on the field than Ramirez’s even though he is older.

Hanley is a much better player, IF, BIG IF, he is on the field.

25. RogerCraig says:

Mark,

There are only a few people who can think outside of the box. You frustrate people who only see black and white, left and right, up and down.

Keep it up. I like it.

26. Quasimodo says:

Mark, I’m not believing you’re in for trading Hanley. You’re just at it again. Not a bad thing, its just tinker-toys. You’d be pissed as the rest of us would be if these things came true.

I think he would actually do these things.

How about Omar Infante as next year’s Skippy? He’s played all over the infield and can hit.

I don’t see Texas as a trading partner for Ethier, but if they were, what I would want they wouldn’t part with – C prospect Jorge Alfaro. Next up would be SS Luis Sardinas and P Wilmer Font. But I think they look elsewhere for an OF.

28. Watford Dodger says:

With you on that one Badger – in fact he’s an upgrade on what we had last season. Can’t see Mark’s dream of seeing Beltre back in Dodger Blue materialising now. That’s a good deal for both clubs – rids Detroit of a huge contract plus they get a seasoned pro & Texas get the power they gave up last season. Really quiet with the Dodgers other than interest in Haren. I’m not opposed to that as he has good stuff when he’s on & not too expensive. As long as we are keeping some money for offensive upgrades. I know it’s a long shot but do you think the Marlins would be interested in Ethier & AJ for Stanton as they are after a catcher & outfield help – with us helping out with Ethier’s salary? Then we have a run at McCann who is definately an offensive upgrade. AJ would fit well with their young pitching. An outfield of Puig/Kemp/Stanton with Crawford as the 4th (I like Roger’s 4 man plan) an infield of Agon/Hanley/Guerro/Uribe or another 3rd base or SS with McCann catching. That team must hit. I know it’s a longshot. Maybe throw in prospect to get it done.

My initial reaction to that is the Marlins can do better. What they will look for is 3 prospects that are ML ready. I doubt they want to take on contracts, even if we pay most of it. But, it’s worth talking about.

ARod’s pissed. I like the fact he is going after Selig. Wonder how all that will settle out. Where’s the direct evidence? Let’s see it.

30. Jason says:

1.) Just read that the Cardinals are actively shopping Freese. What would it take to land him?

2.) Marlins apparently have interest in Uribe.

31. Gonzo says:

Here’s one outside the box. Clayton Kershaw and Andre Ethier plus cash to Houston for Carlos Correa, Mark Appel and George Springer.

if Kershaw wanted to sign by now he would have already. Send him home and you can be sure that HOU would be getting even more in return when they deal him at the deadline.

32. Gonzo says:

carl Crawford + cash to Oak for Catcher Bruce Maxwell

The Dodgers have listed 13 players from their roster — they were willing to throw under the bus — and not have a contract or signed for the 40 man roster. (This is the list I see.)

Free Agents

Todd Coffey RP 33 FA Dodgers – NR –
    Adam Kennedy 3B 37 FA Dodgers – NR –
    Juan Rivera LF 35 FA Dodgers – NR –
    Matt Treanor C 37 FA Dodgers – NR –
    Shane Victorino RF 32 Signed Dodgers Red Sox 3 29 $39,000,000
    Jamey Wright RP 38 FA Dodgers – NR –

And the year before that, 2011, it was 11 players on the FA list; and I do not think any of them came back:

Free Agents
    Aaron Miles 2B 36 FA Dodgers – NR –
    Vicente Padilla RP 36 Signed Dodgers Red Sox NR Minor Lg
    PLAYER POS AGE STATUS 2011 TEAM NEW TEAM YRS RANK DOLLARS
    Juan Rivera LF 35 Signed Dodgers Dodgers 1 NR $4,500,000

So, what is this telling us for 2013? most or all will not be back

34. Watford Dodger says:

Roger that is a very interesting post. If that is true then Ned needs to get busy.
    It’s probably a good thing as most of the major pieces are still there. Bit by bit the players are getting signed though. Ned must have some serious plans up his sleeve I hope.

$100 million cash!

;)

36. Anonymous says:

ned has alway waiting till the good one are good..he has done that every yr

37. Anonymous says:

meant gone,,not good

38. Joseph Olivas says:

I would do that trade mark bring beltre back home get rid of an outfirlder problem fixed only if we dont have to eat no cash

Waiting for the Tanaka bids and even will that happen, then the eating period of usually 30 days if he will sign . . .

Ned needs to deal with the pitching now. Signing or trades or both. Why? Too many recovering arms coming back with a lot of if’s.

Prices for signings seem to be going up. Because players and agents know the extra TV monies the teams are getting.

Mark, I’m sure the Dodgers discuss which players from other teams they might acquire, and what it might take to get them. That’s not quite the same thing that goes on here. But if people want to dream, I have no problem with them concocting trade ideas. Fact is, things will happen, but probably not exactly as we envision them. So, for example, given the trade of Kinsler for Fielder, it’s extremely unlikely that Texas now has much need for Ethier, and just as unlikely that they would move Andrus or Profar, since the trade of Kinsler eliminates their surplus of big league ready middle infielders.

As for Beltre, I’m not interested in the past. Fact is, he’ll be 35 in 2014, and that’s exactly what the Dodgers don’t need. Also, Beltre’s contract guarantees his age 36 year, and also his age 37 year if he gets enough plate appearances to vest in 2016. And whatever Beltre has done recently, it hasn’t hurt that he’s played in Boston and Texas, both good offensive environments. For now, I’ll take my chances with Hanley, who turns 30 next month. But quite frankly, if the opportunity came along to trade Hanley for a bountiful return, I’d welcome it.

All that said, it’s certainly possible that Beltre will have a great year in 2014, and Hanley could wind up spending significant time on the DL. I just don’t like the odds. Besides, the Dodgers have made it clear that they’re seeking to become younger and more athletic. Doing so involves some rolling of the dice, but so too does bringing in Beltre.

Was listening to XM radio today, and an interesting point was made regarding Fielder. Seems that in the last 3 years he’s hit behind the 3 MVP’s; Braun, Cabrera, Cabrera. It was suggested that in 2014 he’ll be provide the protection for Beltre, and that the latter might end up as the AL MVP.

I agree that trade changed things. I believe Texas got better. They could still use Ethier but I don’t see how it gets done. I don’t see the need for them to move Beltre.

This is a time for patience. Often deals don’t happen until Spring Training. In the mean time I see no problem signing Haren and Uribe – if Juan will accept two years. LA is the right place for both those players. I’ll go on record saying I would like a better choice for third base, but I don’t know who it would be. None of the guys I’ve mentioned are showing up in rumors.

41. Quasimodo says:

We really need to think more inside the box. I mean the 2013 Dodgers were a pretty amazing team and not one that demands starting from scratch. So far Greinke, Ryu, Jansen, AJ Ellis and AGon are the only Dodgers who’ve ALMOST stayed out of all these trade ideas. I’m a bit more attached to the idea that several other Dodgers I’d to see return in blue. Most of the team is already here.

42. Yo! Adrian says:

I like to do this deal :
    J.Reyes, A.Sanchez for C.Crawford, Z.Lee, D.Gordon

J.Reyes will be used 3B this time, and the line-up will be

1. J.Reyes (3B)
    2. Puig (RF)
    3. H.Ramirez (SS)
    4. A.Gonzalez (1B)
    5. M.Kemp (CF)
    6. A.Ethier (LF)
    7. A.Guerrero (2B)
    8. AJ.Ellis (C)

FA signing
    1. Tanaka, 2. Wilson 3. bench member (infielder prefered: Chavez?)

* starters : Kershaw, Greinke, Tanaka, Ryu, Beckett
    * relievers: Jensen, Wilson, Withrow, C.Reed, P.Rodrigez, Windle, Belisario

“I like to do this deal :
      J.Reyes, A.Sanchez for C.Crawford, Z.Lee, D.Gordon”

I can see why.

Not much happening this morning so I’ll go check out the news and see if any Repugnantcans blew up in their sleep last night. The Demikrats really got under their skin with that move yesterday. It would be funny if it weren’t such bad theater.

The Dodgers lose Shawn Tolleson, yet they protect Jarrett Martin. Martin seems to have good stuff, his K/IP is over 1, but his WHIP is way too high because of his BB rate. Can someone tell me if we have a plan for this guy? Big LH pitcher, if he could learn to hit the strike zone, he could have some value, but he is 23 and hasn’t done it yet. Does he have a shot at the BP next year?

• Pgunn says:

We might have a plan, but I’m not sure that Ned has one. If a prospect isn’t a can’t miss, it’s tough getting and staying in the majors. I think if the minors were stocked with players, Ned would trade them most of them away.

Freese is now off the list of potential acquisitions, if, in fact, the Dodgers ever considered him.

Only the Dodgers know why they protected Jarrett Martin. Maybe he’s got electric stuff, and they’re hoping the light will suddenly go on. After all, the light didn’t go on for Koufax until he was 25. As for Tolleson, he did have back issues. My guess is that like many others, Jarrett will have a shot at the bullpen in 2014, but so too does Onelki Garcia, and Tom Windle. And if the Dodgers sign J.P. Howell, then it’s probably going to be Howell and Paco, with all the others serving as organizational depth and perhaps as trade bait.

Martin allegedly does have a live arm. His problem has been command. He walks about 8 per 9.

With a team like the Rangers sucking up Tolleson so fast, and Rumors calling it a bargain, couldn’t Jed have traded him? I would think the popular PTBNL could have been had somewhere.

Add Jhonny Peralta to the growing list of MLB players who are demanding twice what they are worth. I tried that once. Once. But, these guys are in entertainment, and teams know they can pass the cost onto the suckers that actually pay for all of this. Us.

But, I am guessing the Cardinals will be in on Peralta, and they may be in on him at third base. Though, I haven’t heard any rumors on what might happen to Descalso, he ain’t all that (neither is Kozma) so they may move Carpenter to third base, put Wong at 2b, Peralta at short, and make Descalso/Kozma disappear. You can bet there was a plan when they traded Freese.

And, you can bet there is a plan for the Dodgers as well. Have no idea what it is, but, am confident there is one.

I can’t say I’ve studied this closely or paid close attention to it, but I would guess that the Cardinals are probably more into signing Stephen Drew than they are into Peralta. I think there has also been speculation into a deal that would include the Cardinals trading their top prospect Oscar Taveras to Texas for Jurikson Profar. Not sure who would then replace Beltran, but maybe there’s a name I’m just not thinking of.

Meanwhile, after hearing Stan Kasten in an interview on XM radio last week, I’m not totally convinced that the Dodgers will be making a huge bid for Tanaka when he becomes available. Of course, Kasten is unlikely to reveal his hand in advance of the bidding, so really, I don’t have a clue.

I think there are usually some signings in advance of Thanksgiving, so maybe we’ll get some further insight between now and Wednesday. But we all know, that more is likely to come in December and January, and all the way through spring training.

It’s my opinion the Cards will be sorry if they sign Drew.

Very quiet in here.

Boston ready to fleece Jed on Kemp. Anybody ready to give them permission?

• Bobby says:

Ned was able to get $5 thrown in when we took on the contracts of Beckett, Crawford, Agone.

In return, i fully expect to give them Kemp plus $80mil to acquire Johnny Gomes

51. Watford Dodger says:

Another piece leaves the table as McCann signs 5 yr deal with the Yankees.
    Seems like other teams are taking the plunge.

It doesn’t matter whether you take the plunge early or late. It’s what you end up with in the end that counts. Also, taking the plunge doesn’t always work out positively. Finally, Dodgers didn’t sign Greinke last year until December, I believe just a little after the Winter Meetings ended. Winter Meetings this year are December 9-12.

Badger, I don’t think signing Drew is any worse than signing Peralta. In fact, I prefer the former. However, in the end, I wouldn’t sign either of them.

I saw enough of Drew here in Arizona. He’s a 125 game a year .250 hitter, depending on his home park, and an average defender. I wouldn’t sign either as a SS but as you know I thought Peralta at third for a couple of years could work. Now I hear he is getting better than 4 @ $52? Ef that.

Looks like Cards are close to signing Peralta.

Badger, guessing you saw this before your post above about Kemp.

I seriously doubt if the Dodgers would get fleeced. Keep in mind, decisions like this one will not be made by Colletti alone. My guess is that if such a deal were made, the more the Red Sox took on in salary the less they would have to surrender in prospects. And if a large portion of Kemp’s contract were taken on, it would free up the Dodgers to spend elsewhere. I’ve always been a big supporter of Kemp, but be it a deal with Boston, or with another team, I think it might be time to move on from him. The health uncertainty with Kemp is probably something best put behind the Dodgers, as long as the return is worth the price. An ankle injury like the one that Kemp had may well take in excess of a year to fully recover from, and who knows if he’s even fully recovered from his shoulder surgery. At least in the AL he has the option to DH.

Badger, if it’s 4 years, $52 million, I’d eff it too. Did you actually see that number? I’ve read Peralta was seeking 4 yrs., $50 million, but didn’t actually see a number associated with today’s report. In fact the reports I’ve read only indicate that the Cards are close to a deal with Peralta, not that it’s actually been consummated.

Just read on Rumors that, allegedly, a team that offered that were told “they weren’t even in the game. I don’t know if it’s true. Rumors also said he and the Cards were “close”. I figured 3 at $39 was more than enough for a drug user. He ca hack, but he ain’t that good. I think somebody is about to overpay him. But, that’s the game these days. Everybody in MLB is getting rich.

56. Bob says:

During this time of the year we often have great expectations. However, we might again be subject to a winter of intrigue and unexpected twists. Regardless, I wish to tamper my expectations and only desire the following transactions.

1. Extend Clayton Kershaw
    2. Sign one of the following pitchers as a temporary starting pitcher and long reliever until Billingsley is available (a) Haren, (b) Volquez, (c) Capuano
    3. Sign Howell
    4. Sign two of the following infielders (a) Uribe, (b) Chavez, and (c) Polanco
    5. Trade Kemp or Either for high level prospects and salary relief.
    6. Wait until next year to sign significant free agents when significant dollars come off the payroll such as Beckett, Billingsley, and Rameriz

This is my Mr. Mom salary budget. Cap the salary budget at $220 $221 million, whatever it takes to win the World Series.

Spend now — because the window with this crew will be up shortly. We are not re-building here — we are marching to the World Series.

If the Dodgers had Cano last season — they would have won it all.

So, if it is $210 million or $220 million or $250 million — as George used to say: What ever it takes.

P.S. Injured players, or players coming back from serious injuries are much more iffy and the Dodger really have too many of them.

Of the 4 outfielders — two have injuries. Several pitchers are coming back from serious injuries. Maybe it is time to deal with those players one way or another. Business is business . . .

Start over Bob? Hadn’t considered that one. Guess I feel I am too old to start over. Been waiting a long time.

Kemp may not be able to steal 30 anymore after that bonehead slide, but he should be able to hit 30 and score 100. He’s important. He’s part of the middle of our lineup. It makes sense to consider him an American League player now, but I just don’t think the Dodgers are ready to give up on him. We’re all fine with Ethier going, as long as we get back quality prospects, or both prospects and a Major League player. Ethier could still put up 3-5 years of 3+ WAR for the right team. AGon and Ramirez have a few years left, we have Greinke and Ryu – I think I agree with Roger – spend now and win this thing.

Geez I hate this time of year. The weather is turning, the sun is only up 10 hours, college football is winding down so that means nothing but basketball on all week, and now we will see Christmas shopping adds every two minutes for a month. Bah humbug.

59. Watford Dodger says:

Roger you have summed it all up in that post above. With this team it’s win now. We don’t need to worry about the budget. This team is close as was shown last year. One or two good upgrades now will make the difference.
    As for trading Kemp I would be hesitant as if he recovers from the ops then he still has a lot of upsides – if not then a lot of salary owing. Trouble is – we are guessing? He was a hell of a player. His value is low now.

60. Pete M. says:

Thanksgiving remains with me the best day of celebration the year holds. No expectations (well may an extra slice of pumpkin pie and Kool Whip. Just sitting down with friends and relatives and and forgetting everything else for just a while… Pass the gravy boat please…
    Keepin one ear on the Trade Rumors and of course an eye on LADodgerTalk.
    Bob,that was a great lil blurb. A great and conservative look at things…I’d like to keep Kemp though…
    What the hell happened to Oregon, not that I’m losing any sleep over it even with my granddaughter a grad and my son living up there…
    Another semi nailbiter for ND Badger. Thank God for good ‘D’.

The college season has not unfolded as I predicted Pete. I keep hoping a Pac 12 team will make it into the Championship game, and they keep eating their own and the same ol’ thing happens every year. Can’t wait for the play-off system to be employed, though we may still get the same results. Alabama vs. some other south eastern team.

As we know, at least those of us who have grown older know, injuries are accumulative. Every one of those dings take their toll. You can live through them when you are Matt’s age, but, with a season that is nearly 200 games, you cannot do it much past the age of 30 anymore. Not without help, and that is no longer legal. Yeah, I know, it never was legal, but now baseball isn’t turning a blind eye to it. Matt Kemp may never put up MVP numbers again, and he is being paid MVP money for several years. If I am the Dodgers, I am checking that dude out daily. If he isn’t rehabbing like a madman, going to bed at 10 every night, eating nothing but raw foods, then I listen to any and all offers for him. I don’t know how interested he is in being a baseball legend. Maybe he is happy with $160,000,000 guaranteed. (I know I would be) But I also know that if I were given that much talent, I wouldn’t waste it.

• Bob says:

Thank you. Just trying to be creative, and provide an idea as opposed to just criticizing allegedly like a Republican.

Maybe I will spend part of the Thanksgiving Holiday reading Great Expectations and watching Mr. Mom.

Dodger Times are better now that McCompeyson is gone.

Actually it’s spend now AND re-build for the future. Hence the large investment in our current players and the investment in re-building the farm system. That’s the plan for me. Do BOTH at the same time.

Kemp could come back and have a great year. Really no need for him to be stealing bases anymore. If he came back and hit 25 HR with 40 doubles, and scored and drove in a 100, that would be a nice upgrade over what we had last year. Of course, all the better if he can exceed that. Also, I imagine that Kemp might get off to a modest start and pick it up in the second half. So 25 HR could become 8 in the first half, and 17 in the second half. After all, it’s how you finish that really counts. However, if the right deal came along, and he could bring back significant salary relief and top grade prospects as well, then it’s something the Dodgers should probably consider. What worries me about Kemp is that serious ankle injuries can be problematic, and their effects can linger for more than a season.

62. Watford Dodger says:

Brooklyn that is a good take on it. Spend now and rebuild for the future is what they are doing.
    You and Badger are also right about some of the ridiculous money being promised to average players. Never been a better time to be in baseball.

Another crack addict on espn.com insider suggest we trade Kemp to the Yanks for CC Sabathia.

I wish he would share what he’s drinking/smoking

Well pass the pipe because I don’t think that’s crazy. At least looking into it isn’t. Sabathia has been very consistent over his career (hammy this year, but still had 200 innings) and who knows about Kemp.

64. SpokaneBob says:

The teams that are interested in Kemp are looking to get him cheap. I am also concerned about how he comes back from the ankle injury but I don’t favor trading him. I might consider teaching Puig to play centerfield in spring training and moving Matt to right field. Less ground to cover for Matt and Puig certainly has the arm and more importantly the speed to play center. Let him go all out for what he can catch as the centerfielder and there are less walls for him to run into.

I am still inclined to keep all four outfielders and use Ethier off the bench to spell Kemp and Puig aginst righthanders as well as Crawforf when the match ups favor Andre over Carl. Every one would get plenty of playing time with Kemp (if healthy) and Puig playing most of the time.

65. Quasimodo says:

Thanks Giving for me is simple. With that I saw no reason to save the bird till then. Done been cooked and more than half eaten already. Guess that’s the Choctaw blood in me. Cheers all the same, Friends. Hope you all enjoy, I’m just a step ahead of you all on that one. Lolz!

I heard the other day the average number of calories consumed in the Thanksgiving Day meal is 4500. Yoiks.

Well looks like my third base choice is still a SS. An overpaid SS, but, aren’t they all. 4 @ 53 for Peralta is being reported. Feel good Jhonny.

Sabathia will be 34 in 2014, and his contract runs through 2017 unless he has a left shoulder injury, in which case there is a $5 million buyout in 2017. And that left arm of his has a lot of mileage on it. Personally I think trading Kemp for Sabathia would indicate heavy crack use. The Dodgers don’t need Sabathia in their rotation, and his presence would simply crowd out a good but cheaper pitcher. I only trade Kemp if he brings back a quality return in players and salary relief. The greater the salary relief, the more I’d be inclined to accept less quality in players. Either the Dodgers would get a significant return in talent, or would save enough money to be used elsewhere to improve the team. And if the Dodgers are serious about getting younger, Sabathia is not the answer. I’ll take my chances on Kemp’s ankle over anything that Sabathia might bring.

And Bob isn’t wrong about his inclination to keep all four outfielders. If a trade arises and it’s beneficial, by all means the Dodgers should do it. But if nothing materializes, then there is no need to move anyone just for the sake of moving them. We learned last year that four outfielders aren’t always enough. And having four of them provides an opportunity to keep everyone fresh throughout the year, and gives the Dodgers flexibility to do a deal during the course of the season.

But people, the offseason has barely begun. The winter meetings are a few weeks away, and things can happen well into January, or later. Plenty of time for stuff to happen. Patience, patience.

Yoiks on the 4,500 calories, and yoiks on the 4 @ 53. Nice work if you can get it.

I did the research too Brooklyn. But I also know this – unlike Kemp, Sabathia has earned every nickel of his enormous contract. He says he is fine, I look for him to resume his role as the ace of the Yankee staff.

And here’s something else. As you know I have been a cheerleader around here for some time. I believe in what the Dodgers are doing. But I have a feeling about Matt Kemp. I think we have seen the best of him. I don’t see another MVP season coming from him. That doesn’t mean I believe he is done. I am just hoping for 150 games out of him at this point. I listen to ALL ideas about players and trades and the idea of getting a 220 inning ace for this staff fully supports my idea of winning NOW. Doesn’t mean I would do that trade, it just means I would listen.

69. Anonymous says:

MSTI feels that Uribe is about our only 3rd base option left and he wants 3 years. Casey Mc Gehee had a come back season last year in Japan, but the only people I have heard champion him is the guys on Hot Stove. Does anyone here have an opinion on him?

Maybe the Dodgers could sign Juan to a three year deal with a low base and incentives that could escalate the deal to the dollar amount he is looking for. I would love to see them set a president for a pay for performance contract.

70. SpokaneBob says:

That was me. Mark, why do I have to keep filling out my info on the same computer?

Mark is in bed under his covers. The Colts swallowed another olive today.

Casey McGehee? Haven’t heard that name in a while. 3 year deal for Uribe would be a mistake. I like the incentive thing. Keep doing what you did last year and we’ll keep letting you play here.

Dodgers agree to 1 year $10mil deal with Dan Haren

I don’t get the Dan Haren signing because we already have two Dan Haren’s in Beckett and Billingsley. Now we have three. I thought we needed another starter to throw in the rotation once we make the playoffs. Go figure

Signing of Haren can’t hurt. Struck out 8 per 9 innings, and walked less than 2 per 9 innings. Definitely worth the one year deal at the back end of the rotation. Heard that he was more effective in the second half of last year, so maybe whatever he lost is beginning to come back.

Alexander Guerrero is a true Dodger, hamstring and all.

Chad Moriyama interview with Corey Seager.

If the Dodgers sign another starter (Tanaka?????) then the rotation will get a little crowded. And maybe not. The Dodgers at this point really don’t know what to expect from Beckett, and Billingsley isn’t due back until close to midseason. And one or both of them could end up with a role in the pen. In fact, as I’ve noted before, Billingsley was very effective out of the pen when he spent some time there in 2007. I remember him hitting 97 in those short stints.

Not worried about too much pitching. Seems we had that problem last year. And how did that turn out?

As for the playoffs. Kershaw and Greinke aren’t a bad 1-2 punch, and Ryu is a nice #3. And it seems to me, that if the Dodgers had any offense this past offseason, that trio would have gotten us into the World Series. And who knows, maybe the Dodgers will end up with Tanaka, or perhaps Chris Anderson will step up next year and become the next Michael Wacha. Or maybe Billingsley comes back better than ever and becomes a postseason hero. And maybe an improved offense enables the Dodgers to win a playoff game 8-7. Not predicting any of this, but just sayin’.

Oops!!!!! In previous post said “it seems to me, that if the Dodgers had any offense this past offseason….” Meant “postseason”, NOT “offseason”.

Well, we are a pitching organization. More of it can’t hurt. As we proved last year, you can never have too much of it.

But we still need a bat. Unless of course, the team believes Kemp and Ramirez will stay in the lineup for 160 games. If we sign Uribe (to anything less than 3 years) we could have a pretty good lineup. We could also have 3 or 4 of those guys with icepacks on their hammy’s for a good part of the year. Sure would like to see some more 25 year olds on this team. Some good ones. The new data says players have peak years at 26-27. We need some in there on their way up.

77. Anonymous says:

Can’t believe this post has only been up for 6 days, seems like years

Has anyone seen that Mike Tyson Special on HBO? Damn. What a story.

Mark’s been busy. He is busy building his off shore accounts. He’s also in mourning. The Colts may be the Best of the Midwest, but they can’t seem to beat anybody from the NFC West.

Good talk going on at Chad’s place. Nothing new, but, good talk.

You know, anyone can write up a topic and email it to Mark. I’m sure he would be happy to post it. There are some good writers here, give it a shot.

• Bobby says:

I say do it Badger. You don’t need to write an essay or prove any point.

Bring up some topics, and let’s start a new thread! Mark is busy with a great NBA team and a choking NFL team. Not sure who his college team is (Purdue?)

Meanwhile, somehow No. Illinois passed up by Dogs in the BcS rankings. God knows how those computers work.

Did it. We’ll see if it’s worthy of posting on this illustrious site.

I hear you Bobby, I have to wonder what the heck those computers are analyzing. Can Northern Illinois beat Notre Dame or USC? They are better than Wisconsin and LSU? I doubt it.

But the Bulldogs can beat anybody. Those guys are just mean.

80. Bob says:

Dan Haren

Happy! Happy!

Next signing Uribe?

81. Quasimodo says:

Saw Mike Petriello on MLBN. Cool, guess he’s busy too. Seems mostly all positive things said about the Haren deal. I’m talked into it….I’ll be happy about too.

1. [...] Maybe the answer is to trade Hanley I have been trying to figure out how the Dodgers can keep Hanley happy when maybe the best thing is just to keep everybody happy.  You saw what a Happy Hanley can do last season, and he really enhanced his value.  So, I am going to purpose the unthinkable – maybe the Dodgers should trade [...]… [...]

2. [...] View full post on Yahoo Sports – MLB – Los Angeles Dodgers News more… Maybe the answer is to trade Hanley – ladodgertalk.com 11/20/2013 I have been trying to figure out how the Dodgers can keep [...]