Just answer the questions yes or no…

1. Did Sandy Koufax win one Cy Young Award before he was age 26?
  2. Did Sandy Koufax win two Cy Young Awards before he was age 26?

It requires a yes or a no.

No rhetoric!

I just want to put Clayton’s accomplishments in perspective.

Congratulations, Cy!

(Photo compliments of MLB and the Dodgers)

Rants and Raves:

• Punto was a good dude but getting older and not worth $3 mil at age 37.  Sorry, Dude!
  • There is no way the Dodgers trade Kemp, IMHO.
  • No-lasco!

Fusion-NLT

26 Responses to “Just answer the questions yes or no…”

Yes Mark, the answer is no to both of your questions. But sorry, I’m going to add some rhetoric. I’ve said before that Kershaw will likely have a better long-term career than Koufax. But no matter how many times you throw this out there I’m going to tell you that Sandy Koufax is the greatest pitcher I ever saw. Unfortunately he started out as a basketball player and it took him a while to get find himself as a pitcher. But once he did, there was none better, nor do I believe there has ever been anyone better, certainly no one I’ve seen, and I saw Marichal, Gibson, Seaver, etc. But yes, he did get hurt, and his career was shortened. If not, he would have won Cy Young’s in 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, and who knows how many more if his career had extended past 1966. And that’s when there was only one Cy Young award, not one each for the NL and AL.

• Mark_Timmons says:

We have never seen Clayton at 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30!

That\’s the Koufax we are comparing him too.

Next year, we have a baseline.

It’s been reported that J.P. Howell is looking for 3 years.

He’ll be 31 next year, so such a deal would take him to his age 33 season. There are other options, of course, so I wonder if the Dodgers are interested. I tend to think that a three year deal could work, but there are risks. However, if he does a good job, he’s a player that could conceivably be traded if a younger pitcher stepped up during the next few years. I imagine the deal would be $6-7 million per year.

Back then (in those gone by years) the major league teams had many more minor league teams than then do now: AAA, AA, A, B, C, D baseball. In towns, cities, and villages all across the U.S. And there were more men playing baseball for a living as opposed to now. Not as many in college then. Not many foreign players at all.

And it took longer to get to the majors for some of those players as the teams protected themselves.

In those days, teams could have a player called a BOUNS BABY — and Sandy was that for the Dodgers in 1955. His first start was Sept 4 against Cincinnati and he pitched a 2 hitter striking out 14 hitters.

Then he pitched a game against Pittsburgh in a 5 hitter.

Dodger starters that season: Erskine was 29, Newcombe Podres was 23 Loes was 26 —- Sandy was 19.

Sandy was young, a bit wild, and a BONUS BABY and could not be sent down. So he watch from the bench most of the time.

Starts: 1955 = 5. 1956 = 10. 1957 = 13

Then finally in 1958 he started 26 games with 5 complete games.

In after only 12 years in which only 9 season did he start more than 20 games — he pitched 137 complete games and 40 as shutouts.

In a different time — he was great.

In today’s time — Kershaw is great.

4. Pgunn says:

Koufax always thought that Alston used him inconsistently in his early days.

You’ll have a baseline when Kershaw pitches 320-330 innings in a four man rotation.

6. Quasimodo says:

Hmmmm, horse for dinner, eh?

7. emerson-Lake says:

Hey Dodger–agree with your take that both were/are great in their time. I do think you have given Sandy credit for Karl Spooner’s incredible two-game debut in September, 1954. Oh, if only he hadn’t hurt his arm–today a little Tommy John could have fixed him up.

You ask loaded questions. Of course Kershaw has done more at an early age. He was given opportunities Koufax wasn’t.

What Brooklyn said.

And what I have said a half dozen times. Kershaw will NEVER accomplish all that Koufax did because he won’t have the starts, the finishes, or the innings.

Wilson wants closer money to pitch the 8th. Anyone interested? I am. Many games are actually saved in the 7th and 8th innings. Have a closer for all three of those. If we had Koufax, we wouldn’t need that. But, with Kershaw and crew, we will need 8th and 9th inning pitchers.

Have out of town visitors. Off for multiple Sedona adventures. I’ll leave in your capable hands. Some very good posts the last two days.

9. Bob says:

Walter Alston probably would have chosen the rookie Danny McDevitt over Kershaw just like he did when he chose the rookie Danny McDevitt over Sandy Koufax to be the #4 starter for the 1957 Dodgers. And Alston is in the HOF?

Today you would probably say Nixon was a better President than Obama.

Comparing Apples and Oranges can lead to humorous conclusions.

10. Bobbie17 says:

And you want TO TRADE him?????

I’m interested in Wilson for the 8th. The deeper the bullpen the better. And Badger is right, games are often saved in the 7th and 8th innings. Even earlier than that.

emerson-Lake — thanks for the check above. I got the right figures for Sandy, but the wrong date. He pitched the 14 K / 2 hit game for 9 innings on August 27. The Pirate games was on Sept 3.

30 Ks for the entire 1955 season. With 47 hits. 30 BBs. ERA was 4.38 == 19 years old.

13. Jae says:

Mark doesn’t want to trade Clayton

14. pete M. says:

Posting problems? No Tanaka? Plan B?

15. Quasimodo says:

That pic looks a couple years old. Kershaw’s guns gained a couple inch’s since.

It’s a small sample, but Alexander Guerrero is off to a good start in the Dominican Winter League. If you want to see his first HR, look at the link to follow (which has other Dodgers related winter leagues info).

17. Idaho al says:

I said it before and I will say it again, I am worried about the Dodgers signing Kershaw. This should of been done by now. If this goes to arbitration, he will be a dodger for one more year. Something is happening between the Dodgers and Kershaw, and it is not good. I hope I am wrong.

Idaho Al, as I said the other day — he rents a home in the L.A. area, but owns a home in the Dallas area; and he is from Texas.

Not sure he wants to live in the L.A. area with his wife for the next 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 years.

That just might be a key player — the city.

19. Quasimodo says:

I’m not at all worried. It appears to me that Kershaw and Dodgers have already come to terms and simply are not disclosing facts. Dodgers seem to enjoy being mum for whatever reasons. The ‘hot stove’ ain’t hot yet.

• Quasimodo says:

Oh, I should of had in there why it appears a deal has happened. Kershaw seems more entertained with the questions the media asks about the subject. Nothing more than that.

I think that Clayton realizes that he can win bunches of more Cy awards, but the RING is now more important — and will be the measure for him in the future.

If he thinks the Dodgers are the way to that Ring — he will sign. If not, he goes.

21. Jason says:

Given his age, if Punto wanted another ring why would he leave the Dodgers?
    Unless we’re all wrong, I would think the Dodgers have a good chance next season.

22. Jason says:

From Punto:
    “This is a team that fits the way I play,” Punto said. “I won a World Series with the Cardinals, and now I’m trying to find a way to win another one. You watch this team from the other side and they play hard, they play right, and they have good young pitching and a terrific manager.
    “Bob Melvin being a great manager was a huge influence in my wanting to come here. His teams always play so hard; you have to love watching them play. Watching on TV and again in the playoffs this year, I saw those young pitchers. They have young, talented arms. I’m hoping to add what I have to that clubhouse.”

It IS a great move for Punto. His veteran experience will be accepted there. And he probably at his age, fits in better there than with the Dodgers.

The A’s do have an outstanding manager in Bob Melvin. Wish the Dodgers had him.

What else would he say? He is easily replaceable.

SI article on Dodger bullying?

Japan and MLB having difficulty squaring their circles. Plenty of money to go around boys. Don’t be stupid about this.