Bad start to the offseason

The Tigers signed Brad Ausmus to be their manager and the Dodgers evidently have lame duck Don Mattingly as their manager.  Felony stupid is what I think.   I would have jumped at the chance to get Brad Ausmus.

This is a part of something that concerns me about the Dodgers.  Stan Kasten, Ned Colletti and Don Mattingly are all “old school” guys, and the braintrust assembled by the Dodgers are largely also Old School, in fact they are OLD PERIOD!  Pat Corrales, Bob Engle, Tommy Lasorda, Rick Ragazzo, Ralph Avila and Gerry Hunsicker are all over 100 years old… well they are OLD!

I’m not sure “old school” still works.  The Cardinals, Braves, Red Sox and A’s are all NEW SCHOOL.  I think the Dodgers will rue the day they didn’t go after Brad Ausmus.

Residential-Collage-m

29 Responses to “Bad start to the offseason”

1. Pgunn says:

Why is Brad Ausnus so desirable?

2. Pgunn says:

Here’s a young guy that would love another chance, Paul Depodesta!

That was my first thought PGunn. McRoach hired a young gun saber metric dude and Mark hated the guy. Wrong dude I guess.

For the record I like Ausmus too. But we don’t have a vacancy at manager.

Pgunn,

Good questions. DePodesta like Ausmus is a smart guy from the Ivy League, but Ausmus has a lot more personality and character. By all accounts, Ausmus will be a manager in the mold of Mike Matheney – a very smart game manager who can relate to his players. That was DePo’s big failing – lack of communication skills.

He was universally disliked by most of his subordinates. He lost Adrian Beltre when they were only $4 million apart and I have it on good authority that Beltre wanted to stay and communication was all it would have taken. I think it was felony stupid that he offered Adrian 5 years at $60 million in a “take-it-or-leave” fashion when, for just $4 million more he could have kept him. How different would this team look if he had done that?

The fact that he has never had another GM job since then and says he doesn’t want one, speaks volumes. I think the Dodgers will regret not getting Ausmus – who had history with the organization.

Badger,

There is a vacancy at Manager for the Dodgers. The vacancy is in the smarts department.

Mark, you can worry about the manager. I’ll worry about the players. To me the offseason is about putting together the right mix of players to win it all next year. And it’s about getting all of our injured players healthy enough to play ALL of next season. Mattingly made some mistakes (what manager doesn’t?), but for the most part he has the respect and loyalty of the players, and managed to create an atmosphere that produced a remarkable turnaround once we got some guys (not all) healthy. Sign Tanaka, get Kemp healthy, figure out 3B/SS, and hope that Guerrero can produce at 2B, those, and probably a few other things, are what this offseason is about. Not the manager. Mattingly will probably get better just through experience, and maybe the Dodgers will provide him with a better bench coach.

As for Ausmus. He’s reputed to be a smart guy. But there have been other smart guys who didn’t fare all that well as managers. I remember when A.J. Hinch was hired as the D-Backs manager. The Stanford grad was reputed to be very intelligent, but didn’t last long as manager. Ausmus may turn out to be a great manager, and maybe not. And if Mattingly doesn’t work out, there are more than likely other smart alternatives. Maybe our A.J. will retire, and can be appointed the manager (SMILE).

Old school, new school. Who cares? There’s probably good and bad in both. And Pgunn is right. DePodesta was supposed to be a smart new school, Sabremetric guy who was going to bring the Dodgers into the modern world of baseball. That didn’t work out too well.

And finally, do you really know if Ausmus is new school? Might be he’s picked up a lot of that old school stuff over the years. And maybe he’s an amalgam of the two.

I would not have been unhappy if Mattingly wasn’t coming back. But neither would I have jumped for joy. There are things he does that I don’t particularly care for, e.g., too much bunting. But at the same time, in-game strategy is not all that a manager does, and if anything, Mattingly does appear to be a unifying force who has the respect of his players. That has to mean something.

So you don’t think it was a good idea to bring in Hunsicker, Engle and Corrales, or to hold onto those other guys. And why do you even mention Tommy Lasorda? He’s probably got zero input in the decision making process. You know, and we all know, that he’s nothing more than window dressing. And really, didn’t some of those guys have something to do with the signing of Puig? And I don’t care how old their collective ages are. From what I can see, they’re aggressively going about the re-building of the Dodgers farm system that was systematically destroyed by the not too old Frank McCourt.

And Mark, you’re right about DePodesta’s personality. But again, it takes more than smarts to manage. And like I said, if Mattingly doesn’t work out, there are other alternatives. Ausmus is not the only smart guy out there, and assuming he has the right personal attributes, he’s not the only smart guy with a positive personality out there.

And let’s not give Matheny too much credit at this early stage. He’s got plenty of time to screw up.

Brooklyn,

I did not say I was unhappy with the old guys – I said it concerns me… and it does. Times change…

Mark, I stand corrected for not recognizing the nuance. That’s because I’m one of those OLD guys. And times do change. But as you know, the more things change the more they stay the same. Quite frankly, I think it’s a bit early to be declaring that the Dodgers got off to a bad start this offseason. In fact, the offseason isn’t measured by how you start, but by how you end. After all, last year lots was written about what a great offseason the Toronto Blue Jays had. And we know how that turned out. The offseason is best judged by how it ends, and even then it’s not definitive. But that’s why they play the games.

Interesting read:

It wasn’t all DePodesta. McRoach and whoever his bench coach was (Jamie?) didn’t have a clue what they were doing. DePodesta actually did some good things for the Dodgers, including winning a Division Title. What about Beltre and roid use? Gagne said 80% of that team was using, Beltre was pissed about it. DePodesta tried to rid the team of all of that. Nobody knows, but Beltre hasn’t come close to those numbers again. He was a dud in Seattle, during what SHOULD have been his peak years, and was only able to re-light his offense in hitter friendly parks like Boston and Texas. We know DePo was railed by Plashcke and Simers, two guys we know you dislike Mark. Many say he was cut loose by the mealy McDouchebag because of media pressure. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Do we really trust Jed to get done what needs to get done? Well, so far, with money, he seems to be doing ok. Trying to work for a guy like McCockroach had to be stifling, for both DePoedesta and Colletti.

12. Bluenose Dodger says:

Forget DePodesta. The guy that was on track with the Dodgers was Dan Evans. Big mistake in dismissing him.

13. Jae says:

OK. Evans looked good but if he was why is he out of baseball? Maybe you are the only one who thinks that.

Forget all of them. The Dodgers haven’t won the NL Pennant in 25 years. We are close now. Get healthy. Stay healthy. Get some depth on the bench with WAR points. Develop the system. Distance ourselves from McScrotum. The a Dodgers can do this. The Blue Paradigm.

15. Yo! Adrian says:

Forget about Tanaka. He threw 160 pitches at game 6 of Japan series.
    And he did another 15 pitches at game 7 (The next day!).
    He will be another Dice-K. Not Yu Darvish.

Think that will back the Yankees off? I don’t.

I see Dave has re-surfaced. Oh goodie.

There are 18 hitters on the Desert Dogs. None have a lower batting average than Corry Seager’s .160. I think the kid needs some time away from the game.

Last I looked Gordon wasn’t doing much better for the Tigres. Anybody have an update?

17. jerry says:

gordon need to give up baseball and go out for a college track team.

18. Bobbie17 says:

Like it or not, don’t be surprised if they extend Mattingly. He’s probably no worse than most of the other mangers. I haven’t heard any players come to his support. That puzzles me a bit. I’m not sure he is a players’ manager, not that that is a bad thing. I agree with the others, get some more players, pitchers, in particular. Then the position of manager will take care of itself.

19. Gonzo says:

Forget about Tanaka? Imagine if people thought by your logic, the dbacks probably don’t have a championship. Schilling pitched in three games in that series and Randy Johnson appeared in relief after pitching in game 6. They both were done after that right?

20. Watford Dodger says:

Wise words Jerry. When your only asset as a player is speed it’s time to find something else.
    Hopefully we can include him in a package for a trade.
    Seems to me we are focusing heavily on more pitching when it’s the batting that has been our weakness. Just re sign Nalasco as a very good number 4 and let Beckett/ Bills/ youth fight it out for 5th spot. Put all the $$$$ towards some offensive power starting with an upgrade at 3rd – Headley for me.

Crawford
    Puig
    Ramirez
    Gonzalez
    Kemp
    Headley
    Guerro
    AJ Ellis
    Kershaw

Bench
    Ethier
    SVS
    Punto

Am I missing something? Looks to me like Gordon is 3 for 11 (.273) so far. I don’t know about anybody else, but that doesn’t tell me anything.

I don’t like it that Tanaka threw 160 pitches. But if he checks out in a physical, then OK, sign him. I don’t know about Randy Johnson an Tanaka, but I do remember Fernando throwing 160 pitches in a game, and I do know that eventually he flamed out. But that was likely do to continual abuse, so maybe one game won’t be the coup de grace for Tanaka. But still, I’m not happy about it. Guessing those bids should be going in soon. Of course, Tanaka actually has to make a decision on whether he wants to be posted. Unless there’s something I don’t know (and there’s really a lot I don’t know), can’t see why he wouldn’t choose to be posted.

Then there’s really important news. Try not to get upset or too emotional about this.

And wouldn’t it have been fun if this guy had won the bidding to buy the Dodgers.

Oops! I meant say above that I don’t know about Randy Johnson and “Schilling” (not Tanaka).

23. Jason says:

Per Rotoworld:

“Josh Johnson will not get a qualifying offer from Toronto.
    So he’ll be a free agent on Tuesday with no ties to draft pick compensation.”

Thoughts?

Sorry, it’s “due to”, NOT “do to”. Need to do a better job of proof reading.

I wondered why the Reds would let him go. He should stay there. His numbers would likely fall off anywhere else.

26. Pgunn says:

DePo did lack communication skills, from what I understand. I wonder how much McDoDo had to do with not re-signing Beltre, though. $4M is not that much to differ on; you could always come half-way and make it up incentives

But the Milton Bradley deal had me shaking my head. We knew Bradley had great talent, but also knew that Bradley was shaky. DePo didn’t know how to deal with him; even Ned knew enough to pawn him off on the A’s, who thought they could deal with him, but Billy Beane, DePo’s ex-boss, had problems to. Betcha the A’s would like to have that trade back.

As for Ausmus, getting another untested manager, that is outside the org might look a little screwy, esp. when the last manager was two games from the WS. I still think there is debate as whether to keep Donnie.