Twists and turns

There’s bound to be some twists and turns starting Friday as the Dodgers open the NLCS in St. Louis.  Some of this will happen, but not all:

• Andre Ethier will start in CF Friday
  • Paco Rodriguez will be replaced with Carlos Marmol on the NLCS roster
  • Ryu will be replaced by Edinson Volquez
  • Ricky Nolasco will be replaced by Brandon League (I’m delusional)

Rants & Raves:

• The prognosis on Ethier sounds promising.
  • The Dodger MVP in the NLDS was Yasiel Puig.  He was the starter.  Ramirez was also awesome, but Yasiel was the starter.  Crawford was huge but Puig started it all.  A-Gon and AJ were solid but Puig was the starter.  Clayton was pitching on an MVP level, but Yasiel is the MVP!
  • No, even after Kershaw’s performance in the last game, I cannot say he is the greatest Dodger pitcher of all time…. Yet!  I have already stated that no one will likely have 4 better years than Koufax’s last 4 years, but it is a fact that at age 25, Clayton is way ahead of Sandy at the same age.  I do predict that Clayton will be the best Dodger pitcher of all time, not based upon 4 or 5 years like Koufax, but based upon 12-15 years.  His 12-15 years will surpass Sandy’s 4 years (that were incredible).  But face it, Koufax was only great for 4 years.  No excuses.  It is what it is.
  • Jon Weisman said it best:  “Clayton Kershaw, starting for the first time in his major-league career on three days’ rest, was absolutely on his game, burnishing his legend as this generation’s Sandy Koufax. (Fine, they’re two different people and one hasn’t locked up the Hall of Fame yet, but I’m tired of people trying to deny their equivalency.) Kershaw faced 24 batters and allowed only three singles and a walk while striking out six – meaning that he had struck out 18 in 13 NLDS innings.”
  • Kevin Towers is an idiot and Derrick Hall should fire him now!
  • The Giardi signing blows my Mattingly to the Yanks prediction.
  • Juan “Freakin’” Uribe!
  • Dodgers in 6!

fall-savings-2013-m

96 Responses to “Twists and turns”

Just like with Atlanta, I”m happy to have Greinke and Kersh starting on the road for games 1-2.

StL is like the San Antonio Spurs. They just win year in and year out. They know how to do it. This will NOT be easy.

Donnie needs to out manage Matheney. The pen needs to be sharp. And Greinke and Kersh need to be Greinke and Kersh.

Wow, this will be fun!

I don’t necessarily think this is about Mattingly out managing Matheny. For me it’s simple. The Dodgers have to outplay the Cardinals. Everybody has got to be at the top of their game. And getting a break here or there wouldn’t hurt.

And Ethier being healthy enough to play in the field would be nice. Still, given his long layoff and limited at bats since his return, I worry that he will lack sharpness/timing. Just think we’re a better team with a healthy Ethier playing everyday, and Schumaker doing what he does best, coming off the bench.

3. the truth hurts says:

I can’t help but laugh everytime I think of Holiday missing the flyball when I think of Dodgers/Cardinals playoffs.

This is no laughing matter though. I think Beltran might go down as one of the best playoff batters of all time, he is ridiculous in the playoffs.

Wacha nearly had 2 no hitters this year, Wainwright just pitched a gem, Lynn is solid….we def have our work cut out for us.

Dodgers/Cards was inevitable. If it was the Pirates, the world would have been against us. It is the two best teams from the National League and will be very exciting.

Go Blue!

4. Watford Dodger says:

Mark think your right on all your predictions other than League if course.
    I would leave Ryu out – hasn’t looked right for a while – same with Paco.
    Let Nalasco & Volquez pitch at home.
    I think we all share the same apprehension about facing the Cards as they are the ultimate Clutch team but you know they won’t be relishing facing us either. We must keep being aggressive at the plate. How many more times am I gonna have to watch the Ellis boys take pitch one straight down the pipe? Every single time. Every pitcher in baseball will throw them a strike first up. That’s why Puig is so dangerous – you don’t know what he’s gonna do.
    We need to get the ball to Wilson & Kenley and avoid the slumping Belisario although he will make the roster. Hopefully Ethier will come back hitting – he can only make us stronger.
    Anyway it’s going to be a rollercoaster and we have had a better preparation.
    Bring it on.

5. dpwtv says:

My opinion. The only thing that will happen of those 4 is the first one. Ethier starting

Ryu, and the Dodgers, keep saying he is fine. They said the same thing about Kemp. I don’t believe them. Ryu is not fine. But, I doubt we see Volquez in his place.

The Dodgers pitchers were able to miss the Braves bats. The Braves led the league in strike outs and showed why in that series. The Cards bats will find the ball. This is the team in the NL tournament that scared me the most. And they have home field. This is going to be a huge test.

When Kershaw is 30, and still pitching for the Dodgers, we can compare numbers with Koufax. Until then, I am out of that silly discussion.

Andy Pafko died; 92.

He played for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1951 and 1952.

June 15, 1951: Traded by the Chicago Cubs with Johnny Schmitz, Wayne Terwilliger and Rube Walker to the Brooklyn Dodgers for Bruce Edwards, Joe Hatten, Gene Hermanski and Eddie Miksis.
    January 17, 1953: Traded by the Brooklyn Dodgers to the Milwaukee Braves for Roy Hartsfield and $50,000.

In 1951, I was 10 years old and sent him my first letter (to a baseball player) and asked for an autograph.

About two weeks later, I received a hotel postcard from Brooklyn, and he personally addressed it and signed it with a brief thank you from him.

Funny, how I have never forgotten that early kindness from him. Then I started sending other baseball players letters and asking for autographed pictures. I received like 100 over the next 4 or 5 years in all. Many Dodgers including Jackie Robinson; many Red Sox, Cleveland Indians (at that time they held Spring Training about 1 mile from our home in Tucson each March), Phillies, Tigers, etc.

8. SpokaneBob says:

Although I hope Ethier can play (we will need for our offense to be as productive as posible) the key for us is that Puig has played so well. I was worried after his September that he had run out of gas. He has never played this many games in his life. But he seems to have risen to the occation and is providing the kind of energy that lifted the team in June.

Unless Ryu is injured, he will start game 3 or 4.

The Cardinals and Dodgers have a long and storied history and after all these years they are right aroud 500 aginst each other. It should be a great series and if we make it through to the Fall Clasic, we will have earned it. Go Dodgers!

9. Tim says:

Hey guys, Cardinals fan here. Really excited for this series, I see it going 6-7 games. These are the two best teams in the league and I think we are in for a wild ride.

I’m coming up for game 3 in LA. What’s the best spot to tailgate before games?

• Bobby says:

Welcome. Note that it’s a pain in the butt getting in the stadium near game time, and even worse getting out afterwards.

If you come early, drink in the stadium and walk around and enjoy the hotties. Otherwise, nothing in the immediate walking distance from the stadium, so you’ll need to pre party wherever you are then show up.

• Tim says:

Ok thanks! Federal Holiday on Monday so I’ll get there in plenty of time. Any suggestions for a good pre-gaming bar a reasonable cab ride from the Stadium? We won’t be running our mouths, but are always down for some good-natured ribbing.

Welcome Tim. Best to you and your team. This should be a classic series.

The Cardinals are solid in every way. The Dodgers are solid with a few holes, but can put it together most of the time.

Injuries to Kemp and Ethier hurt the club from being all it can be.

But the series will be great to watch.

• Tim says:

The Kemp and Ethier injuries are killer. I know first hand how painful it can be to start Skip (as good of a guy he is). Hoping Craig can pinch hit off the bench this series because we have 0 weapons coming in late.

Federal Holiday?

Isn’t it Columbus Day on Monday? Not sure if it’s Federal, but some folks have it off.

As far as bars nearby? No idea man . I put wine in a coke zero bottle and enjoy myself that way. Or mix crown in the coke zero bottle.

If bars, downtown isn’t too far. Tons of bars there, then u can catch a cab or jump on that shuttle (if you have your tix with you) from Union Station for free to Dodger Stadium.

Good natured ribbing is fun. But be careful, we have an idiot fan base as well (raider fans) who won’t take it good naturedly

13. Idaho al says:

Mark, I agree with Either starting, but nothing else. Ryu will start the 3rd or 4th game. We will not see Marmol or League. I am worried about Rodriquez. I think he has hit the wall and is tired. He will be on the team, but I am not sure they can use him in a pressure situation like they have before.

Sorry to hear about Andy Pafko. I knew all the Dodger players in the 50′s. Roy Campanella was always my favorite.

At any stadium anywhere (no matter the team or sport) If you are the guy in the opposing teams jerseys that gets up and runs in the stands pointing and antagonizing the home town fans: you are asking for trouble.
    I have sat next to opposing fans for over 30 years going to Dodger Stadium. Some are loud mouth, get in your face guys. And some are fun ribbing guys. I have never seen the guy you talks smack but is having fun get messed with at all.
    The jerk that makes a spectacle of himself, by yelling at other fans or wants to look around for someone to pester always gets the trouble he is asking for.
    Exactly the reason I do not feel sorry for Bryan Stow. Yes I said it. If he didn’t yell and cuss at other fans he would have been just fine. It is on video people. He stood up and yelled at a man carrying a Dodger Dog “ I would rather eat my own feces than eat a Dodger Dog!” Why does a person do that? Does a person do that because he is just a Giants fan trying to enjoy a game? No! A person does that because he is an ASSHOLE! He didn’t deserve to get beat up but he asked for trouble and got it!
    So the point is to Cardinal fans hoping to come to Dodger Stadium. You will be fine. Just like anywhere in the world. You treat people with respect you get respect. You are a jerk, people will not like you. The “likes to fight guy” will always find a liquored up A-hole running his mouth to deal with.

For a fun pre gmae bar try the “Shortstop” total dive bar on Sunset around the corner from the stadium. It is a Dodger fan bar, it used to be a cop bar (long story). Anyway I go there before almost every game I go to.

It is nothing fancy but good beer, cheap. The fans are cool. I have been there before Dodger/Giants game and there was no trouble. i actually have gone with Giants fans and everyone is cool to everyone.

Romo, where’d u hear about Brian Stow cussing at the game? I’ve not heard that part of the story yet.

17. Watford Dodger says:

I can’t see Ryu starting another game this season. For me he hadn’t looked right for a while and his last outing against The Braves was particularly poor. Velocity & accuracy have gone. There is something wrong. I would rather let Volquez have a go. We are going to need 4 starters and Nolasco would be my other. This is why we have a deep squad. Play the guys in form. Ryu isn’t.

Well W so far I have not seen our probable for game 3 against Wainwright. The a Dodgers and Ryu (last I heard) said he was fine. Remember ?
    and the Mysterians? Well, methinks that is who will be following Greinke and Kershaw. Looks to me like the Dodgers rotation is a two man band.

I’ve heard that the Cards have some problems with lefthanded pitching, especially with Matt Adams replacing Allen Craig. If Ryu isn’t healthy (and I don’t have a clue), is it possible that the Dodgers would consider starting Capuano? I don’t consider that likely, especially since Capuano hasn’t started in while, and also because I suspect he will be more effective in shorter stints, and is likely to be used before Paco (if Paco even makes the team).

Obviously we’ll have a better idea when rosters are announced tomorrow.

Could the Dodgers clone Kershaw and then start him on back to back days?

20. SpokaneBob says:

Greinke and Kerskaw both come back on 3 days rest.

Well the Final Four is set and the low payroll teams that made a go of it are gone. Anyone really surprised? I’m not.

Somebody other than Kershaw and Greinke is going to have to step up. I think it’s going to be Ryu. Ryu vs. Wainwright. Who you got in that one?

Sure hope the bats are alive in this series.

Quiet in here. Calm before storm?

Las Vegas still favors Dodgers to win it all. Both Boston and LA are 2/1. (wouldn’t that be the ultimate showdown?) The bet brokers must really believe in Kershaw/Greinke. Most of the baseball esperts I have been reading have this one dead even. A lot of folks are saying Cards in 7 in an instant classic. I’ll take Dodgers in 7 and agree about the classic. These teams are evenly matched.

This is why I’m glad we’re on the road for this series. I”d much rather have the Ryu-Wainright matchup at Dodger Stadium.

We have 2 aces. They need to be aces this series. This next week will not be good for our blood pressures

24. Matt says:

GO DODGERS!!!!

25. Watford Dodger says:

Why not put Nalasco against Wainright – or for me Volquez. We know Ryu is struggling especially in the early innings. Have we finalised the 25 man roster? Ryu’s confidence is bound to be down after the Braves game. Give Volquez a go – he’s got good stuff although he does walk too many.
    It’s funny but as the series has got nearer the more I fancy our chances. I think we can get on a roll and win the first two at their place. I think the extra days to prepare will be key & there’s no doubt that Grienke & Kershaw are better & more experienced than Kelly & Wacha. The way our bats came alive against Atlanta gives me great hope. 4-1 Dodgers.

Off Topic:

did you kids read about what happened to Adrian Peterson’s 2 year old son?

Disgusting. Someone needs to just beat that guy’s ass hard (hopefully AP gets a shot at him)

27. Watford Dodger says:

So Volquez & Marmol in – Cappy & Paco out. Feel sorry for Cap.
    5 starters is interesting – is one going to pitch out of the pen?
    Also only one leftie in the pen is odd against all the Card’s right hand batting. Think we will need another leftie during this series. Maybe could have taken another pitcher and left maybe Punto (no at bats) or Gordon out. Either way glad Volquez & Marmol are in.

Volquez and Marmol are both well rested. And they both were pitching pretty well by the end of the year – if they can find the strike zone. We appear to be stacking the pen with RH relievers. I am fine with that approach I guess… but one has to wonder about late inning help against Beltran, Adams, Carpenter, Jay….. maybe they figure Wilson and Belisario can get anybody out. So can Marmol if he throws strikes. A lot of movement from the arms we are keeping.

Just hope that Marmol and Volquez can find the plate if they’re used. The Cards are a patient team, and will take pitches if these guys are wild. And the last thing I want is to face some of their hitters behind in the count.

Apparently the reason for removing Capuano was that he matched up badly vs. Cards. I’m OK with that, because while Cappy can be good at times, he can be horrible at other times.

Greinke and Kershaw might be more experienced than Kelley and Wacha, but those two kids have been very strong for the Cards. There regular season stats are included in the link below.

And Wacha was excellent in his start against the Pirates. I wouldn’t take them lightly, especially given the uncertainty of the Dodgers offense. And the Cardinals are perfectly capable of scoring some runs off of Kershaw and Greinke. I expect that the Dodgers will pitch OK, but it’s the offense that has me worried. And how many games did Kershaw lose or not win because of the paltry run support he had this year?

30. Watford Dodger says:

Brooklyn you are correct of course because they are good pitchers but I fancy that Grienke & Kershaw will be able to handle the occasion & expectation better. You are also right about Capuano – either good or bad and not much inbetween. Marmol can get people out. Put him in & if it’s not working get him out quick. I fancy that the Dodgers are thinking about Volquez for either game 3 or 4.

Since Nolasco is still on the roster, it could also be that Volquez will be used in long relief, if necessary. Or maybe the Dodgers would consider going to him in lieu of Belisario. I also think that circumstances could determine how certain people are used.

Even if we get good pitching, I worry that the anemic Dodgers offense could sabotage those good efforts. I have no doubt that the potential exists for the Dodgers to score. I’m just hoping that it actually happens. I could say that Puig has to hit, Crawford has to hit, Hanley has to hit, Ethier has to hit, and on an on and on. But really I would like for once to see consistent hitting throughout the lineup, and runners actually getting driven in. I would love us to hit some long balls, but I just don’t want us to have to depend on them. And please, no bunting.

Lineup out:

Crawford
    Ellis
    Hanley
    Agone
    Puig
    Uribe
    Ethier
    AJ
    Greinke

33. Watford Dodger says:

Like the line up. We are gonna win tonight.

Mark, just write a tiny blurb and add another thread. I don’t like the title of this one, if you know what I mean.

Glad to see Ethier in the lineup, and nervous at the same time. Just hoping we don’t get a repeat of Matt Kemp’s short-lived return.

I kind of feel like in uncharted waters –

Since 1988 when the Dodgers last won the World Series — in the N.L. here are the number of appearances:

Braves 9 times
    Cardinals 8 times
    Giants 4
    Mets 4
    Phillies 4
    Pirates 3
    Reds 2
    Arizona 2
    Florida 2
    Houston 2
    Cubs 2

Dodgers 2

And: Rockies 1, Padres 1, Brewers 1

So, only those last three have been in less.

I am just not used to the Dodgers playing for the pennant since 1988.

Now, prior to 1988, they were in it 21 times from 1948.

So, I am looking for sharks . . .

I’m nervous too Roger. But I am confident. We have pitching. I wish we had Kemp but, these guys know what they need to do.

Play ball!

Kelly put the ball just where he wanted to — including into Hanley. Perfect control and well pitched inning.

That sucked.

I’ll bet you won’t see Cardinal hitters give away 3 at bats all game, let alone in one inning.

Swing at strikes dammit!

39. Bball says:

Hanley out= doom. Please don’t be out Hanley.

40. Bball says:

I told every one of you about uribe. That’s my boy. Hell ya

41. Jimbo says:

URIBEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need to jump on Kelly before he settles down or they pull him

Kemp would have caught that ball. Andre was there, he flat out missed it.

43. Bball says:

Agree badger. Even puig. Next year puig needs to play center even if kemp is still in an LA uniform.

I told Greinke to pitch a shutout. HE cannot follow instructions. What is with this team!!!!!

45. Rob says:

That two out rally sucked!

46. Bball says:

I no this is way pre mature but I would try to trade kemp to Texas for profar and beltre. Maybe throw in another prospect or two. Sorry just want to see beltre in a dodger uniform again and also think that would be a good trade. I don’t expect a response just talking. I sure hope we pull this thing out.

That single bothers me — because AJ cannot hit like that.

The wife just said “geez, 3 disappointing at bats by Puig”

She got that right. We will need him in this series. Heck, we will need everybody.

AJ has a 3-2 count, and I see him looking for a sign. Just get in there and hit the ball.

Puig is not playing with confiden……ce. He backed out of the box and looked unsure.

Guys have to pull themselves together. they should have 5 or 6 runs by now.

50. the truth hurts says:

That might go down as the dumbest coaching decision ever to bring Gordon in.

51. Bball says:

Thinking the same thing truth. Donnie. Your not making a good name for urself.

8th inning. So Donnie runs Grienke out there. 2-2. Longer he pitches, the longer it might take for him to start again.

Someone on the Dodgers needs to step up.

53. Rob says:

For having all of that speed gordon really sucks at base running.

Greinke at 98 pitches. He’s fine. Ethier makes that catch and this is a different game.

Young replaces AGon. We don’t lose that much. If you are going to put Gordon in – send him! You let Puig swing and that is what you’re going to get. A wasted move.

Yes, we need somebody to step up and we are at the bottom of the order.

Weird game.

55. Rob says:

I agree badger, I don’t think the move was bad but Gordon needs to attempt to steal that bag knowing puig lacks plate dicipline. If gordon would not have stopped it would have been 2 on with no outs.

56. Pgunn says:

I know Vin is great, but he could be tough to listen to at times. Tonight is one of those times.

Wilson getting squeezed.

This game should be over.

Waste a triple.

He was out by 12′.

Ellis can’t run. Why send him on a short fly ball? Big mistake.

61. Pgunn says:

What’s he saving Punto for, the World Series?

Good question, but who other than Gordon is 13′ faster?

Beltran has an arm. That was a short throw that he was coming in on. I don’t send the runner. Not with a middle of the order hitter up next.

Am I the only one who noticed Molina never tagged Ellis?

64. Pgunn says:

I didn’t want him to hit, but he’s faster than Ellis. But Donnie wasted Gordon; that’s the problem I have. Gordon’s on first and he’s not running? Even Dusty Baker wouldn’t waste Hamilton like that.

65. Jimbo says:

I’m glad they actually mentioned it on TV.

66. Pgunn says:

Betcha the dodgers wished they had Capuano…

Maybe I was wrong about Young. Weak at bat WRISP. The Gordon move is looking worse every inning.

68. the truth hurts says:

FIRE MATTINGLY. FIRE MATTINGLY. FIRE MATTINGLY.

The Agon pull for Gordon has solidified him as the dumbest and most imcompetent Manager to walk this earth.

69. Rob says:

So if you take out your top RBI guy for Gordon and never run him??? Sure would have been nice to have Gordon running from third on that throw from beltran.

70. Rob says:

That loss is on Mantingly, why pitch to Hanley when agon is out.

71. jerry says:

it didnt work in atlanta and it didnt work here with gordon…i would of use gordon to run at third to home. not ellis.

I was away from my computer watching the game on TV. Here’s my take.

Putting Gordon in to run for Agon was downright dumb. And I thought it at the time. And if he was put in, it should have been to steal. But keep in mind that having him attempt to steal with Molina behind the plate is risky in itself. Just a bad play in my opinion. It only would have worked if there was a hit into the gap that Gordon could have scored on. I wouldn’t use up BOTH Gordon and Agon in the hopes of that gap hit.

There is no way to know if everything would have played out exactly as it did if Gordon hadn’t run, so we don’t know if Ellis would have actually hit that triple. However, that’s the kind of situation Gordon is on this team for. He would have scored on that fly ball.

Yes, Ethier should have caught that ball that Beltran hit. And yes, Kemp would have caught it for two reasons. He’s faster and would have gotten to the wall quicker, and he’s taller than Ethier. Still, it’s a play that Ethier should have made. Was it Ethier’s ankle? Maybe.

My worst fears came to fruition tonight. The Dodgers offense continues to be anemic. Even Hanley looked terrible tonight. Looked like he was trying to kill the ball. And Puig is still a work in progress, sometimes showing patience and hitting under control, and at other times showing a total lack of focus and discipline.

Oh, and I disagree Badger that Ellis should have been held up at 3B. Given the problems the Dodgers were having scoring, I thought it was a gamble worth taking. Only a perfect throw would have gotten Ellis, so I don’t think it was unreasonable to gamble that the throw wouldn’t be perfect, and that Ellis would score. Holding him and relying on a hit to drive him in, was to me, just as risky as sending him.

Tomorrow’s game is huge. At the very least Kershaw will turn Beltran around to his weak hitting side.

And Rob has a good point. Agon’s absence from the game made it a lot easier decision for the Cardinal’s to take the bat out of Hanley’s hands.

74. Rob says:

These are moments that defines a run at the world series. I bet you will see that throw out at home plate over and over. I hope we create some footage of our own and take that momentum back. Donnie just got out managed by matheny. Even matheny didn’t take Adams out when he got on late in the game.

75. Matt says:

We split in Atlanta, we need a split here. No one said this will be easy.

Had Puig knocked one in the gap and Gordon scores its a moot point. We need to hit better today, I beleive we will, I feel Kershaw will give us a good game.

Think Blue.

76. why??? says:

They can’t afford to lose when Greinke and Kersh pitch.
    Why was Joe Kelly just as dominant as our 147 million ace 2.0?
    Why pitch to Beltran?

Well, we will be discussing that game for a long time. No shortage of opinion on Mattingly, Ellis, Gordon, Puig… heck everybody contributed to this one. Ellis was out by a mile on a good throw. A short throw, and a good one. When I saw who was catching it, and where he was standing, I said out loud “oh shit”. The only hope was Beltran, with a good arm, would miss. He didn’t and Ellis was an easy out. Ethier missed that fly ball. Puig was 0fer. Mattingly……

Tee it up again today and get the split.

78. Watford Dodger says:

Well it’s the morning after and I couldn’t feel any worse. That game was there for the taking.
    As predicted Kelly was a bag of nerves and we didn’t take advantage.
    Have read all of your thoughts above and I think Brooklyn’s pretty much covered. There were lots of moments in the game of course but one that was overlooked was one by one of our best performers on the night – Grienke. Allowing a hit to Kelly with 2 outs. We had gone 2 up in the top of the innings and all the momentum was with us especially as Kelly couldn’t locate a pitch. Had we got Kelly out we would have won. Much happened afterwards but Grienke was superb. Only in trouble really in that moment. Kelly was struggling all the way.
    Then of course we’ve got Donnie. Truth, Jerry & Rob are right – what the f##k was he doing with Agon? Couldn’t believe what I was seeing. My 9 year old said “what if it goes to extra innings – surely Mattingly should play the percentages as it probably won’t work” and guess what? He was right.
    However Donnie doesn’t swing the bats for these guys and some of it was poor.
    Crawford can’t lead off swinging at everything out of the zone – and as for Puig well he never looked like it I’m afraid. Agon before he was sawn off by Donnie looked out of sorts. Hanley was struggling after being plunked. We scored in one inning out of 13 despite numerous chances. Ethier is not fit and can’t sprint.
    So it’s down to Kersh to give us life line although as Brooklyn has said all season our offense is all or nothing so sometimes it doesn’t matter who or how your pitching if we don’t score WRISP then the games up.
    Over to you Clayton 2-0 down would be a huge hole.

I would have sent Ellis. I agree with Brooklyn — it takes a perfect throw, catch, and tag — and postseason can change because of the pressure. Bad bounce on the throw and run scores.

Gordon on first, if there is a hit, he can go farther than AGon, so there was more than just a steal in that move.

If Clayton had pitched that same game — no better outcome.

To many wasted opportunities last night.

“Why was Joe Kelly just as dominant as our 147 million ace 2.0?”

Simple. He was pitching to the Dodgers’ lineup and Greinke was pitching to the Cardinals lineup?

Why pitch to Beltran? Well, I can understand that, especially since he’s more dominant from the left side. But, if I remember the situation, there were two runners on, and putting Beltran on, or even pitching around him, brings up Holliday with the bases loaded. Pick your poison. Besides, even though Beltran almost hit it out, that ball should have been caught. This is a game of inches. If he hit it 6 inches further it was out, and 6 inches shorter, and it’s caught.

And I can’t fault Greinke for giving up the Kelly hit. That was a weak ground ball that had eyes. Could just as easily been an inning ending ground ball. Again, it’s a game of inches. Take a few inches off Beltran’s hit, and move Kelly’s ground ball over a few inches, and this was a different game, and we’re likely having a whole other discussion here. In fact, Greinke’s biggest mistake that inning probably wasn’t the Kelly hit as much as it was the Carpenter walk.

Yeah Badger, I too was thinking in the same vein when that ball was hit to Beltran. I didn’t say out loud “oh shit”, but I was thinking something similar. However, given the Dodgers’ struggles to score, I thought the odds of Ellis scoring on that ball were just as good, if not better, than Puig following up with a hit. Beltran had to make a perfect throw (which I knew he was capable of doing), or else the run scores. Look, if he didn’t come home, and Puig popped up, we might be discussing here how aggressive the Dodgers should have been on that play. And like I said, it’s a game of inches. All Young had to do was get just a little more of that ball and drive it a little deeper. And yes, I know that’s wishful thinking.

As confident as I am in Kershaw, I am concerned about today’s game. The Cardinals are a team that Kershaw has had some problems with, and Michael Wacha (who I haven’t actually seen) has been on fire lately. Wacha was the Cardinals first round pick in 2012 (19th overall pick), so none of this should be a complete surprise. Hopefully he has an off day, and the Dodgers generate some runs. Otherwise, Kershaw is going to be forced to pitch a masterpiece, and totally shutdown the Cards. Maybe this game will defy the odds and be a blowout, or maybe it will follow the script and be a nail-biter. Just hope this isn’t one of Kershaw’s 1-0 or 2-1 losses.

Then Roger you too would have sent Ellis into an easy out.

These aren’t the Yreka Zephyrs we are playing, these are the St Louis Cardinals and you just can’t do dumb things and think you can pull it off against them. The team was terrible WRISP, again, and Donnie made mistakes, again.

If Hanley has sore ribs and can’t swing we got a serious problem. The Cards are smart and they are thorough. Puig will likely, for the most part, be handled because there is a book on him – hard in soft away. It has worked for a while now and he is too bull headed to adjust.

We WILL get runners in scoring position. Against this team, we continue to leave them there we are in trouble. If we are going to use Gordon use him correctly. Don’t EVER take your best RBI guy out of the game. Figure a Major League right fielder can throw a ball 150′ faster than you can run 90′.

Greinke deserved better. Kershaw needs to duplicate that performance and the Dodgers need to come through in the clutch.

Bring up the question for the winter time . . . someone off the bench with power. It has been years and years for that power bat. We do have Van Slyke, but Donnie really does not use him that much.

But Schumaker, Punto, Hairston, now Young, FedEx, etc. are not the answer.

More in the winter.

Badger, I take my chances on Ellis. Dodgers had early chances with runners and could do not much. Now, late in the game — being held down, I risk.

Kershaw has to pitch Mark’s game of their lives tonight. Remember, it is really Sandy out there . . .

I’m hoping that today’s game enhances Kershaw’s place in Dodger history, and ranks right up there with Sandy Koufax in Dodger lore. I’m hoping that this game just adds ammunition to Mark’s argument about Kershaw/Koufax, even though I will always consider Koufax the greatest pitcher (not just the greatest Dodger pitcher) I ever saw. And hopefully, one or more of our hitters will take an honored place in the pantheon of Dodger legends.

Roger, it would be nice to have a power bat off the bench. And it would also be nice to have more than a bunch of utility guys on the bench. And I believe that’s coming. This ownership group has brought in some good talent, and they are headed in the right direction. But what they still need to do is fine tune this team. Obviously we could use a healthy Matt Kemp, or if that’s not to be, a suitable replacement. And this team has got to still get rid of some of the vestiges of the McCourt era, and that will happen this offseason. Gone will likely be Mark Ellis, Uribe, Hairston, Capuano, Harang’s contract, Lilly’s contract, and others I’m not thinking of. And because a significant piece of change is coming off the payroll, the replacements are likely to be of a higher caliber than this team was signing under the McCourt regime.

Maybe the farm system will kick in with some players, but I still expect that the system is still a few years away from bringing in a steady flow a top grade talent. The international signings include mostly teenagers, so that’s going to take some time. So I still expect that the Dodgers will be scouring the free agent market, and looking at trades. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Dodgers even made a run at Robinson Cano, but not for $300 million (which he won’t get from anybody, unless there’s a stupid team out there).

87. Oops says:

That throw clearly beat M Ellis but the replay showed a great slide in which Ellis jammed Molina’s shoulder and arm keeping him from applying the tag. Even the broadcasters pointed it out. We need instant replay. Had Mattingly been able to challenge the call, I believe it would have been overturned giving the Dodgers the 3-2 lead. We had a victory taken from us by the ump. Of course, Mattingly screwed up badly pulling Gonzalez and pinch running Gordon earlier in the game so I can see how the focus is on that in the dialogue here. Imagine if Gordon had been available to pinch run for Ellis; not so sure the throw would have beaten him. Still, I think that missed call by the ump, though understandable due to the ball arriving ahead of Ellis, cost us a 3-2 victory. It reminds of the play years ago when Todd Worrell’s foot was stepped on by the batter/runner as Worrell covered first. I hope this missed, though not bad, call doesn’t become the difference maker in a potential seven game series like that bad call with Worrell cost the Cardinals. I had a chance to talk to Worrell two months after that season at my sister’s wedding. He was still fuming, so much so that I thought he was going to channel his anger through his fist into my face. He actually stopped talking to people at the wedding after that, which really pissed off my sister and her husband. OOPS!