This feels like 1988 deja vu all over again!

The Dodgers star outfielder went down during the playoffs and had one meaningful at-bat in the World Series – and I mean “meaningful.”  The Dodgers were given no chance, but everyone forget about the Stuntmen, led by Mickey Hatcher.  The 2013 version of the Stuntmen, I call them “junkyard dogs,” will lead the Dodgers to the promised land.  Skip Schumaker, Nick Punto, Michael Young, Scott Van Slyke, Juan Uribe (yes, he’s one), Tim Federowicz, Mark JunkyarddogEllis (one too), maybe Jerry Hairston, Jr. and AJ Ellis will all play a role in the Dodgers winning the 2013 World Series.

Now, let’s talk about the Dodger Bluebloods.  It seems like everyone is down on Matt Kemp and Yasiel Puig.  STOP IT!  Kemp was in the perfect injury storm and will be back with a vengeance next year while he roots for his teammates this year.   Puig wasn’t going to hit .360 – we all knew that, but he did hit .319 with .391 OB%  and OPS’ed .925.   I’ll take that from a ROOKIE anyday!  Puig also has a flair for the dramatic – look for him to step it up in the playoffs.  He likes the big stage.  This his time to shine.

Let’s not forget what Hanley Ramirez can do to a pitching staff.  The same is true with Adrian Gonzalez.   Carl Crawford has never had an opportunity like this – we will find out what he is made of.  Of course, the pitching is led by the biggest pitching  Blueblood Duo in MLB – Clayton Kershaw and Zach Greinke.  The Dodgers are almost guaranteed two wins before they step on the field.

The bullpen is populated with Bluebloods who have a mix of junkyard dog in them:  Jansen, Wilson, Belisario, Howell, Paco and Withrow.  It’s a crapshoot for the final three spots:  Ryu has one, Nolasco has another and Capuano, League, Volguez and Marmol are vying for the last spot.

We will have to wait and see if Andre can play, but the Dodgers will have to shift the lineup, if he can’t play.  Here’s the lineup I see in game one:

1. Crawford  LF
  2. Schumaker  CF
  3. Ramirez  SS
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Puig  RF
  6. Uribe  3B
  7. Ellis
  8. Ellis
  9. Kershaw

Bluebloods are sexy, but the junkyard dogs do the dirty work.  Schumaker, Young, Uribe, Ellis and Ellis, Punto and Hairston (Junkyard Dogs all) will lead the way.  Enjoy the run.

P.S.  Yes, I saw Koufax pitch – many times, and you guys sure got your panties in a bunch when I stated only the obvious.  All I did was compare the 25 year-old Kershaw to the 25 year-old Koufax and Kershaw is superior in every way.   I also said ” We may never see a pitcher pitch better than Sandy his last four years.”  I mean, what is hard to understand about that?  From here on, we get to compare Kershaw and Koufax in their prime.

This is for our dear government:

Flex-Superman

27 Responses to “This feels like 1988 deja vu all over again!”

Beyond excellent thread. I agree with everything, including the government part. If we are to win it or at least go far, it will be with pitching, role guys, and a stud really stepping up

Mark how’s ur health?

Fresno st #21 baby!

2. Matt says:

Well said.

8:37PM game here, plenty of time to grill and tailgate prior to the game!

Really looking forward to it.

Bobby,

Thanks for asking. Health is good to great. My foot is still sore after lots of walking, which I have been doing. They now think it is Vitamin B-12 deficiency and I am slamming B-12, but it\’s possible my body doesn\’t absorb it, so I may have to take a B-12 shot once a month. I get a blood test next week to find out. In the mean-time, I\’m only working half-days: 12 hours! ;)

“All I did was compare the 25 year-old Kershaw to the 25 year-old Koufax and Kershaw is superior in every way”

“From here on, we get to compare Kershaw and Koufax in their prime.”

Yeah we do. Good luck surpassing 300 IP 3 times, 300 K’s a year, 40 shutouts, 137 complete games, 1 MVP, 3 Cy Young’s, 3 World Championships………

Doesn’t matter. It’s an old argument and is irrelevant at this point in time.

It is absolutely possible this team can win it all. I don’t know what the odds are at this time (would guess St. Louis is favored) but if all the back-up players play out of their minds, and the pitching staff shuts out every body we play, I like our chances.

But I would feel more much more confident if we were playing with all our varsity players suited up.

“In the mean-time, I/’m only working half-days: 12 hours! ;)” That’s funny. I remember when I was working half days too. Seems like years ago. Was years ago. Today, I shall go for a hike up Sugarloaf and watch a movie. Will also see if this Congress can get out of it’s own way and actually get some work done.

5. the truth hurts says:

Great post Mark. Also glad to hear you are doing better.

My seats are as follows-
    Game 1- 108 row 8 seat 9
    Game 2- 122 row 6 seat 122

The wife said she wasnt going so i said F IT! I’m gonna sit where I wanna sit!

Matt, you gotta fill me in on the place to be pregame.

Atlanta, watch out!!!

• Matt says:

I wont be there for Games 1 and 2. Will be there IF there is a game 5. I plan to do some tailgating from home in NC for games 1 and 2. Root hard!!

Give us a full report Truth!

\”I don’t believe that is “all” you said. I think there was something about Kershaw being the best Dodger pitcher of all time. Maybe I have that wrong.\”

Yes, you do!

8. Joseph Olivas says:

Nice agree 100%

9. Quasimodo says:

Its sorta left me with the impression that Dodgers might have plans in obtaining Cano seeing Magic Johnson’s response to Jay Leno on The Tonight Show last night. Johnson’s told Leno that that he couldn’t comment on that subject when Leno asked him.

“Yes, you do!”

or…. maybe I have it right:

“Wow, I was evidently branded as a heretic by some of the old-timers on this board who questioned my sanity for saying that Clayton Kershaw would become the greatest Dodgers pitcher of all time” – Mark Timmons

That’s you in your own words admitting you said it.

and then of course there is this:

“If you had to start a major league team right now, would you really take anyone over Clayton Kershaw as your #1 pitcher? I think not! You are watching the guy who will soon be known as the best Dodgers pitcher of all time.”

Now here’s the thing some, many, seem to foret – we have the ability to research and find out exactly what was said.

“Nice agree 100%” Joseph Olivas

thanks for the confidence Joe. But, sometimes I actually DO remember what is said in here. Can’t help it. After years of dealing with Mark and his….. memory…. I have learned how to fact check.

But, again, it doesn’t matter. Kershaw is our best pitcher now, hopefully will be for the next 5 years… but let me go on record… if the Dodgers end up giving him 7 years and $300 million they will be overpaying about $150 million for him. The way he throws, and the way he is used, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he only 5 more good years in him.

11. jerry says:

with all the record some of you have ..how many 1 hitter and no hitter has Kershaw tossed , i dont think he has a no hitter.

Badger,

Yes, I did say that in a previous post (and I believe that), but in the latest post all I did was focus on Kershaw and Koufax up to age 25.

Jerry,

How many 1 hitters and no hitters did Koufax have at age 25? ZERO!

The last post just focused on the FACT that through age 25 KERSHAW IS BETTER THAN KOUFAX WAS!

Now, maybe Kershaw won\’t be as spectacular as Koufax the next 4 years, but what if he wins 4 more Cy Youngs and ends up with 325 wins with a sub 3.00 ERA? Are you going to tell me that a guy who possibly put up 4 years of amazing stats is better than a guy won pitched great for 15 years?

It hasn\’t happened,and maybe Kershaw will surpass Koufax the next 4 years (I doubt it), but unless Kershaw gets hurt he will likely be the greatest Dodger pitcher of all time. It was unfortunate that Sandy\’s career ended at 30, but it did.

We’ll see. I hope he gets more championships and more Cy Young’s. I doubt it happens but I hope for it. He won’t come close to the other numbers.

Do we have a roster yet?

14. Quasimodo says:

Where does Kershaw peek? All’s we know is that he hasn’t yet. When one can count on the same hand of the greatest of all time, its speaking tons for the talent that fit on that hand. Is this the greatest of rotation? I don’t know. But I’d think it safe to say its also on a one-hand count. Peace, friends.

15. Rob says:

Mark I was a little bummed out after hearing the crappy news of Kemps injury but you have revived my belief after this post. When we get by Atlanta I can see pittsburg beating both the reds and the cardinals. We will beat the pirates and move on to a rematch with the A’s in the world series. 4 games to 1 and the dodgers roll to the championship. Believe!!

16. Quasimodo says:

Rob, you had good reason to be bummed with Kemps scratch. Especially so as Ethier’s health is in question. Both those guys out takes depth down a couple notches. It shouldn’t kill your faith by any means but still have to see the damage and cross our fingers and hope that the quick-fix does the trick. Go Skip! And GO DODGERS!!!!

Data says players peak about age 27.

Depth IS a problem now. But we have the pitching to pull this off.

I think I will peak at 60 in a couple of months.

Physiologically, males peak at 18.

I have to root for the Pirates because it’s been so long for them, “We are family”, and I have had a deep dislike for the Reds ever since they gave of us fits back in the 70′s.
    We won’t see a roster until Thursday morning, zero seven hundred PST.
    I can see Skippy being the unsung little guy that morphs into Superhero.
    Russell Martin, he has done pretty good for himself since he departed and should be team captain, if he already isn’t.

God, I Love Baseball.

Koufax is the greatest pitcher I ever saw, and Kershaw isn’t close. But then again, I’ve never ever seen a pitcher that was close. However, and I conceded this earlier, it is likely that Kershaw will have the better career based solely on longevity.

Had Koufax been healthy all of 1962, and 1964, he would have won 5 consecutive Cy Young’s, and that’s in the era when there was only ONE Cy Young awarded for the best pitcher in BASEBALL.

But Koufax wasn’t fully healthy those years, and consequently he won only 165 games in his career. You wonder what the high mound did for Koufax. I wonder what modern medicine might have done for him. And I wonder what pitching 300+ innings would do to Kershaw.

Also, in your previous post Mark (the one cited by Badger) you mentioned that Koufax pitched in the “dead ball era”. Between 1962 – 66 Willie Mays hit 49, 38, 47, 52 and 37 HRs. In those same years Henry Aaron hit 45, 44, 24, 32, 44. For Willie McCovey it was 20, 44, 18, 39, 36, and Harmon Killebrew hit 48, 45, 49, 25, 39. Doesn’t seem to me that the ball was all that dead.

Again, Kershaw will likely have the better career based on longevity, but he will never be the pitcher I saw when Koufax was on the mound. But that’s not so bad. Neither was anyone else.

All that aside, I hope that Kershaw wins the Cy Young every year, and wins 30 games every year. Actually, 30 games would be pretty hard, since he only gets 32-33 starts per year, not the 40 or so that Koufax started. And most of all, I hope I live long enough to see Kershaw inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Brooklyn,

If you went back in time after seeing Kershaw pitch to age 25 and watched Koufax pitch to age 25 would you still conclude Koufax was better?

At 25, Kershaw has a 2.60 ERA while Koufax was over 4.00 at the same age.

That\’s all I am saying right now.

Kershaw is better than Koufax at 25.

The stats prove it without question.

You are judging that Koufax is better based upon his 25-30 years.

Apples to oranges.

You first said best Dodger pitcher if all time. Now it’s best Dodger pitcher before age 25. Heck, we don’t even know if he is going to stay in LA. And if he does, we don’t know how good he will be after he peaks at age 27. Yasiel Puig did more with his first 100 at bats than any Dodger in history. Does that mean he could be the greatest Dodger hitter ever? Sure, why not?

Skippy a post season hero? Never thought of that, but again, sure, why not. If Mazeroski could do it, so can Skippy.

Dance around the question…

So, 100 AB\’s is the same as 4 years?

You know the answer – Kershaw was/is better at 25.

There\’s no question.

I happen to believe Kerhaw will be the best Dodger pitcher of all time.

You don\’t.