The Dodgers can win without Kemp and Ethier

We already know that Matt is gone for the playoffs and I am going to assume that we are being kept in the dark by the Dodgers and that Andre Ethier’s injury is worse than we know.  I am going to assume that the Dodgers won’t carry a pinch hitter who can’t play the field and that Andre will miss the playoffs entirely.  I hope I’m wrong, but I smell it!

That may open the door to Dee Gordon who didn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell a few days ago…

As I mentioned earlier, the Dodgers still have Ramirez, Gonzalez and Puig who are all Big Stage hitters, but the junkyard dogs will play a role too.  Who will rise to the occasion?  What’s your prediction?

Hint:  My vote goes to Skip Schumaker!

P.S. Dusty Baker will be fired!

government-shut-down

34 Responses to “The Dodgers can win without Kemp and Ethier”

1. Bball says:

I say Uribe. For some reason I just love that guy

I’ll pick a less likely guy – SVS. I like his .800 OPS.

Who will rise to the occasion? Heck, I don’t know. And trying to predict who that will be (if anybody) might be fun, but it’s ludicrous at the same time. Those things just happen, with no rhyme or reason.

Maybe it will be one or more of the junkyard dogs. But let’s not forget, the Braves probably have a few of those themselves.

I definitely think the Dodgers can beat the Braves, and I definitely think the Braves can beat the Dodgers. I think the pitching edge goes to the Dodgers, but I worry that our anemic offense of late might sabotage that pitching.

In the end, I hope that Mark gets to tell us that these were Destiny’s Dodgers, even though I know that destiny is something you attain AFTER the fact.

OK, let me take a wild stab at our unsung hero. I’m just pulling this one out of the hat. SVS gets ALBQ. hot and carries the Dodgers on his shoulders. If that actually happens, I’ll just call it destiny.

Uh Oh, the Dodgers are in trouble. The Braves have Elliot Johnson, a “dirt dog”.

And I ask, what would you rather have, a “junkyard dog” or a “dirt dog”? I have to admit, “junkyard dog” does sound tougher.

5. Quasimodo says:

I’ll go bold myself…..both Ellis’ will hit HR’s back to back in game one. How’s that?

6. Quasimodo says:

Judging by tonight’s game, the Pirates look scarier than they have the whole season.

Good for the city of Pittsburgh. That was a dominant franchise a while back and have stunk it up the past 20 years.

Even if StL beats them, Pitt had a great year

So could the Dodgers consider this guy as a platoon partner with A.J. Ellis? And if so, would he be willing to accept such a role?

Don’t ask me. At this point, without knowing a whole lot about Saltalamacchia, and without having given it much thought, I don’t really have a firm opinion.

9. Leroy says:

Time to “Junk Yard Dog up.” Get em, boys.

Ellis brothers back to back jacks? Wow. You could get some great odds in Vegas for that one.

I agree with what Brooklyn just said. It’s against all odds that this team will break out of its offensive malaise against better pitching than it it has seen lately. I still see very low scoring games. I do believe we can win those, but with Puig slumping and the missing +WAR points from the lineup really challenges our depth. To expect heroism from Skippy, SVS, Uribe and the Ellis’ is a fool’s bet, but, I’m all in. Go Blue.

11. Quasimodo says:

Okay, let me change it from Ellis’ to Bucky Dent. Indeed, I have no clue as to who will get the perfect mistake pitch or even if whoever does will be able to take advantage of it. There’s always the chance that that even great executed pitching gets clobbered from either side. Its also true that terrible pitching can shutout any lineup. We don’t have to look that far back to see how true that is. Sure, my Ellis’ back to back comment was meant to look silly. Now watch it happen!

12. Quasimodo says:

I think Pirates scouting found something in Cueto’s delivery. They’re saying it was the crowd but I think it was the read. Martin went yard on him twice so maybe it was him that discovered Cueto’s flaw.

Cueto was not ready. His pitches were up in the zone. Catcher called for low pitches, Cueto got them belt high and bam, HR . . .

Dodgers should be so lucky to face a pitcher who cannot locate his pitches, and get them right over the middle of the plate — heck, even Gordon could hit one out.

14. SpokaneBob says:

Quad,

I believe in Boston it is pronounced F___ING Bucky Dent.

15. SpokaneBob says:

Of course I ment Quas……..stupid phone.

16. Quasimodo says:

Great interview of Kershaw on MLBN. For the moment he surely seemed to have blue ice-water running through his veins and said game time the adrenaline will kick in. Guess its hard to expect anything different but its comforting to see him so relaxed. So okay, I now change from Bucky Dent to Kershaw to HR with bases full!

17. Quasimodo says:

A little earlier I read the story in the L.A. Times about A.J. Ellis and from it was another substantiation to Mark’s past posting that A.J. will someday manage. Ellis mentioned, in the article, that at the time he was drafted by Dodgers that he saw it as an opportunity to gain an education of the game with coaching college baseball in mind for his future. I’d say Mark hit the nail on the head and A.J. will jump beyond his own dreams. Insight or insiders sight, Mark?

• Michael says:

I just finished reading the AJ article and raced over hear to alert the bored Dodger faithful. What a great story and although I’ve always liked him and knew he was underdawg I think I have amped up my appreciation of him, “Simple Man”, Go AJ. Check it out if you have the time. I really needed a feel good story.

AJ is a great story. I wish he could hit better.

The Dodgers were second in all of baseball in ERA. The Braves were first. The Braves have the best home record in baseball. The Dodgers have the best road record. It should be a close series.

19. Quasimodo says:

Nick Swisher has been more exposed to me this year more than in the past and from everything I’ve seen of him makes him a very likable guy. So even though I sided with Loney’s team in game 163, I’m cheering for Indians tonight……..I guess!

20. Rob says:

I will say the law firm of Ellis and ellis will become a clutch duo. They may not hit for average but they will have huge at bats.

21. Anonymous says:

It ain’t over til John Boehner cries. BOO, HISS!

22. Anonymous says:

Is that pronounced Bayner or Boner?

Borer!

Maybe I had a better angle, but AJ Ellis always looked managerial to me. He is a true junkyard dog with a sense of humor and a never-say-die-attitude. He\’s a lifetime Dodger and fits the profile. That said, I also like Brad Ausmus.

No comment on Boner.

I like Ausmus too. He lives in San Diego and works upstairs for the Padres. He will probably stay right where he is. Ellis could be managerial material, but not for years. I think Mattingly will get better at this.

Rays look good. I don’t really care but was kinda hoping Cleveland could get in. It’s CLEVELAND. Those people could use a break.

25. the truth hurts says:

Noooo Badger!!!! I don’t think Cleveland can beat Boston in a 5 game series and I think Tampa can. I have to live in this east coast BOS/NYY arrogance!!!! Not you!!!! LoL.

Anyways, I like the E twins and shooey coming up big in this series. I am going to hope anyway because I might get tomahawk chopped to the face if they don’t.

Ned going to pull a rabbit out of a hat and bring up some minor leaguer outfielder to put on the roster by 10 am tomorrow?

OK. I can live with the Rays. Cleveland continues to be Cleveland. Too bad for the good people of Cleveland. I have only been there once. It smelled like an outhouse. It might have been the polluted lake, but suspect it was just Cleveland. I understand they have cleaned it up since then. Their football team is properly named.

Game Day. ’bout time. I am counting on the Ellis twins to do what they are capable of doing and nothing more. They are like jock straps. They hold it together for the real BALL players on this team. It will be up to the studs to put enough runs on the board to beat a very good Braves team. Especially in their park. Puig, Crawford, Ramirez and Gonzalez must hit. If they don’t……. Skippy and Ellis squared won’t be enough.

The tomahawk chop. Had to remind me of that tiresome bullsh*t didn’t you truth. I hope we never see it. Two shutouts would keep it to a minimum.

Go Blue. Time to earn that $200 million.

Here is how the first inning for the Dodgers will go . . .

Crawford singles to right field.

Shu drives a ball down the line (your choice) for a double, runners at 2nd and 3rd.

Ramirez is walked.

Gonzalez doubles to the gap, three runs score . . .

See — that is just the first inning . . . and the guys are 3 up with on outs.

29. SpokaneBob says:

To replace an injured player the team can use any player in the organization. I believe thats what I read from Tony Jackson. If so, I would pick Tony Gwynn….he leads off and Crawford bats second. His centerfield defense is lightyears better than Shu. His speed adds a demention and although he has spent the year in the minors, I could see him playing over his head in this situation.

30. SpokaneBob says:

I just realized thats its 10:00 am in Atlanta…anyone seen a roster?

Tony Gwynn? I didn’t know he was still in uniform.

Does it really matter which backup is in? Might as well be the guy with the most post season experience. I will be holding my breath for every Hairuntomaker at bat. I think Ellis squared will play like pros and hit .250.

Pitching. They have it too. The team that wins the pitching battle wins this series.