I’ve got a lot to say

… but no time to say it right now.

We launched our new website (at a cost of $400,000) last weekend and are so busy dealing with issues we knew we would have to deal with that I am just slammed.  Add to it that I had to go to Ohio this week for a funeral and the fact that my wife is opening her newest Ice Cream Shop next week and we are working like mad all weekend and then my son has a football game tonight (#2 vs. #3 in the State) at University of Indianapolis.

I will watch the game today.  I saw every pitch last night.  I have a lot to say and it’s not good – on Mattingly, on Colletti and on the team in general.   Everyone wishes Donnie had about 10-20 more points on his IQ!

Hopefully, I’ll feel better after Clayton pitches today.

GO DODGERS!

Homeland_Security-m

75 Responses to “I’ve got a lot to say”

1. Gonzo says:

Mmmmm ice cream. We all might need it to cheer us up from Donnie’s bonehead move pinch running for Gonzo. Like you would say mark, felony stupid. Donnie said in his interview that he had a chance to use his bullets by putting in Dee. I didn’t see a SB. BULLETS ARE NO GOOD IF YOU DON’T PULL THE TRIGGER.

2. the truth hurts says:

Good luck with your ventures Mark.

Game 2.

We have never needed Kershaw more.

Following up on ooops and Roger…….

I had the sound muted at the time the tag on Ellis was made so I did not hear anyone say the tag was not actually made. Replays show Molina just held the ball tightly and prepared for the imminent collision. He didn’t even make an effort to tag him. But that is a call you will never get without replay.

To Ellis. He had just ran out a triple, was stumblin bumblin fumblin on his way into third and was sucking air as fast as he could once he stood up. His legs were probably shot at that time. That’s point one. Point two, as a third base coach, you have to know all the outfielders, their strengths, their weaknesses and obviously the accuracy and power behind their throws. On that play, a medium pop up to right field, you are expecting their best player to screw it up. Good f’n luck with that strategy.

This is the NLCS. You can’t make any mistakes. The Dodgers were 1 for 10 WRISP. That won’t get it. Young hit into two double plays. Keep him ready for late pinch hitting only. Donnie, get your head out of your ass and manage this team like you have a freakin’ clue.

Got a buddy from California coming in this morning. A midget fan. This should be an interesting day for me.

4. Watford Dodger says:

All correct Badger.
    Grienke must be wondering how he didn’t win that game. Pitched great. Just for the record I would have held Ellis at 3rd.
    Why did he pinch hit with Punto and not SVS? Someone’s gonna tell me match ups I guess.

In the money W.

Greinke didn’t win because Ethier let him down at the wall. He was there. He reached up and flat out missed it. Players make plays. Beltran made them. More than once.

We have to win the games that are pitched well. We don’t we’re done.

What’s the word on Hanley this morning?

Oh – congratulations on all your many successes Mark. I trust that means we won’t hear any more complaints about your health care costs going up a few bucks. ;)

Tag or no tag, without replay that call is always going to be out. It’s in the same category as the neighborhood play at 2B.

I thought about Ellis having chugged his way to 3B. So maybe a pinch runner (who’s got some speed on the Dodger bench, even a pitcher?), with Punto going in for Ellis to play 2B. Of course, that’s second guessing, but then again, I don’t sit watching the game with a roster in front of me, and all the available players. So maybe Mattingly or someone on his coaching staff should have thought of that. In any case, I understand the point that you can’t expect their best player to screw up the throw, but I also understand that a less than perfect throw is not exactly tantamount to screwing up. The gamble in sending the runner is that the throw will just be a bit off line, knowing that it’s going to be a bang bang play. And it’s considering the odds that the runner will score vs. expecting the next hitter to get a hit. If there’s a 35% percent chance that Ellis will score, that’s better than the 30% percent chance that Puig will get a hit. And the way Puig was swinging the bat in that game, I’m thinking that 30% is generous.

That play was a gamble, and I think Wallach knew it when he sent the runner. I don’t have anything against an aggressive play, and in that situation I don’t think being aggressive was out of place.

There’s bang bang and there’s out by a country mile. That throw could have been off by 4′ and there would have been time for Molina to make the play.

Is Punto faster than a Ellis? Probably. 12′ faster? Doubt it. And I don’t see the same % Brooklyn. All do respect I saw maybe a 10% chance for Ellis on a short fly to the best arm in their outfield. I take me chances with Puig. But that’s me. The Dodgers gambled and they lost. End of inning.

We need a W today. Ryu vs Wainwright in a must win scares the crap out of me.

7 game series, and we will lose 1-2 more games in this series. (hopefully not more than that)

Let’s just win today which means we will have done exactly what we hoped for.

14 inning game means both teams should and could have won. Great win for them, and frustrating as hell loss for us.

Get a couple key hits today and we got this in a runaway.

Just read Ethier is hobbling and back on the bench.

Good point Bobby.

Espn 710 in LA saying maybe no Hanley in today’s lineup either.

That would NOT be good

11. Bball says:

I have a sinking feeling. I guess I remain confidant though.

12. Watford Dodger says:

If that’s the case we are done.

13. Bball says:

No Hanley. Shit. I guess u never no what can happen.

14. Bball says:

I think I would drill Beltran.

No Hanley, not good. Having to play Schumaker in center, not good. But that lineup should be able to put up a run or two (maybe). Kersh just has to throw a shutout. As Badger would say, easy peasy.

Good idea Bball. Maybe they should aim for that bad knee of his.

So am I hearing that the B squad is on the field today?

Hanley seems so fragile. His injury in winter ball . . . and such. I still say his being hit was planned.

The guys better have their hitting shoes on today, or it might be over. Down 2 nothing with the Rain man on the hill throwing a shutout . . . ain’t good.

We’re in trouble.

18. Bball says:

Yes we r with the news we just Hurd. Hanley Polly out for the remainder of the post season. Not good. Not good at all

19. Pete M. says:

Roger Dodger… I’d like a 10 spot for every fastball to my ribs that gave me a pass the the following day, and I was a catcher, which was rough getting me out… What does a WBC series have to do with what happened yesterday??? Sometimes it doesn’t really hurt till you breathe…

20. Jason says:

Just heard Hanley is going for X-Rays…he can’t swing a bat in the cage and could be out for the remainder.

As I said, that ball to Hanley was planned. Put him on, maybe put him out.

This 2nd game is and will be painful to watch.

Only Kershaw and a shutout, with Punto driving in a run in the 8th can save it.

22. Watford Dodger says:

No chance going forward without Hanley.

23. Watford Dodger says:

Anyone got an idea as to how we might score a run?

24. Bball says:

Well that’s Polly all they need.

25. Bball says:

Come on puig. Flare for the dramatic. Lets do this. Come on

Worthless at bat by Mark Ellis there.

Puig needs to come thru here

27. Pictured on the left is a 4 page Souvenir Ticket from the opening weekend screenings in Australia. Click on the individual panels for a larger view of each image.

28. Bball says:

What the fuck. Garbage.

29. Rob says:

That just made me throw up! Runners on third and second, no outs, and you don’t score? How embarrassing!!!!

Utterly horrendous with runners in scoring position in games 1 and so far in game 2

1-10 yesterday and 0 for whatever today. disgusting

31. Rob says:

Kershaw and greinke deserve better!!

32. Rob says:

Put van Slye in if he can’t control his swing.

33. Watford Dodger says:

That was painful to watch. Puig could have taken ball 4 – M Ellis gave it away & Uribe couldn’t come through. We are not going to score.

34. Rob says:

I agree W, this is more painful then getting blown out. I don’t like seeing Puigs demeanor in the dugout, it’s like someone killed his puppy. When you hang your head this early it’s a bad sign. With Hanley out they look lifeless.

I say, point blank — Dodgers will win this game.

So let it be said, so let it be written. Period.

Write it up . . .

36. Watford Dodger says:

What’s SVS on the roster for. If I have to watch Schumaker ground out again my plasmas going out the window.

Roger, you said, you wrote, and the Dodgers have to get it done.

Why couldn’t Young hit it that far last night?

38. Bball says:

Our offense sucks big fat Ron Jeremy weenie. That has to be addressed

39. Watford Dodger says:

We can’t even score when they give us a free pass.

40. Watford Dodger says:

They’ve only had 2 hits.

41. Rob says:

What better spot to pitch hit SVS with choate in to pitch.

42. my boy blue says:

Pig needs to be dropped in the order, he has cost us plenty of tuns this series. He needs to understand he needs to make contact with a runner on 3rd not hit a hr.
    Donnie getting out managed in this series. He lost us game 1. Looks like puig will lose us game 2.

43. Jason says:

Come on…someone please step up.

44. Rob says:

That 8th inning summed up the day. Three horrible at bats!

45. Bball says:

Puig is not the problem. The whole offense is the problem. I don’t blame puig at all. I blame them all. I could just sock the world right now don’t test me. FUCK

46. Watford Dodger says:

The commentator just said the Dodgers look hopeless at the plate as M . Ellis strikes out. Nobody has stepped up.

47. Watford Dodger says:

18 straight scoreless innings. Pitiful

So I was wrong. No Punto winning the game in the 8th.

What does this mean.

Kershaw was Kershaw-ed. Out pitched. How many times has this happened to Sandy, I mean Clayton???

Result: new manager over the winter. Donnie is over his head.

Hanley is soft. If a sponge hits him, he is out a week.

But maybe, just maybe they will come back.

49. Watford Dodger says:

We lost to a team that had 2 hits.

50. Bball says:

Maybe next year. Maybe

51. Rob says:

Embarrassing, I just wasted 3 hours of my day.

52. Bball says:

One run. One fucking run. R u kidding me. Mother fucker. I can’t believe this. Just one run. Just one.

53. Rob says:

Their closer just threw heat and dared the batters to hit it. I know those guys can hit fastballs so what the fuck!

54. Bball says:

With wainwright going Monday I have 0% hope. I’m depressed

Michael Young has provided no value since coming here.

I didn’t care too much for his acquisition then, and I hate it now. Let anyone else hit over this “professional hitter”. He’s done.

Meanwhile, let’s just go win game 3. Thats’ it

56. Jason says:

How did the Dodgers go 42-8??????????????????????

Where is that grit?

The difference is that when Wainwright goes on Monday his team will show up and will back him.
    0-3
    Plan for next year.

This sucks.

This sucks.

The offense is pitiful. But I’m not about to throw in the towel. I haven’t heard the fat lady sing yet. We’re down 2-0, just like 1981 against the Yankees. Maybe there will be a repeat and we’ll win the last 4.

I’m not jumping for joy, but I’m not ready to throw in the towel. Let’s sweep at home and take one of the last two in St. Louis.

Just hope Hanley can come back. Today’s game was a bit of a reverse of last night. Last night with Agon out they didn’t let Hanley hit. Today with Hanley out they didn’t let Agon hit. Last night Mark Ellis hit the fly ball to rifle armed Beltran, and today Jon Jay hit his fly ball to rag armed Crawford. He hits that ball to Puig and the runner stays put.

And win or lose, I’m not depressed. Like I said in an earlier post, over this winter the Dodgers will be parting ways with the last of the second/third tier free agents signed under McCourt. For me, when this season ends the McCourt era will be officially over, at least for the most part, in case I’m overlooking something. Even Manny will be off the books (although I think Andruw Jones remains for one more year). The Dodgers will add to fill the holes, Puig will be a year older and wiser, and maybe Matt Kemp will be back at full strength. And there are some good arms in the farm system. Whatever it takes, the Dodgers will add over the winter through a combination of free agency and trades. And I expect a young arm to make it next year, be it in the rotation or the bullpen.

Depressed, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Encouraged, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason, the Dodgers went 42-8 — because Puig surprised the league and played his brand of baseball ——– then, things got to him. AND, Hanley came back and was a major player in all of baseball for a while. Now he is injured again — a paper doll.

If you think these 2 games were tough.

Wait for the next 2.

The Dodger might set a record with fewest runs scored in a League Championship series.

“Let anyone else hit over this “professional hitter”.”

Anyone? Who? Jerry Hairston?

“Where is that grit?” Well, I didn’t see the Dodgers succumb to any pressure. They hung in last night for 14 innings, and kept it close today. This team just isn’t hitting. It has nothing to do with grit. And it doesn’t help that Hanley was out, and even that Ethier couldn’t start. The Dodgers have had problems scoring during a large part of this season, even after the 42-8 run. The players play hard, and have plenty of grit. What they lack is healthy talent on the field everyday, and we’re stuck for the meantime with a young and inexperienced player like Puig. If you look past the wins and losses, you’ll see that the nucleus is here. All that’s needed are some reinforcements, and hopefully some health. I can’t speak about the health, because that is something that no one can be certain of. But I’m as certain as I can be that the next phase of the Dodgers rebuilding will occur this winter. Until the farm system is in full swing, which will take some time, you can expect that the Dodgers will continue to spend. These owners know how to make money, and they saw how attendance jumped when the team started to win. I have no doubt that they will leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of a championship. Grit is nice, but talent is better. And there is nothing better than talent combined with grit.

Oops! Just noticed my mistake above. Mark Ellis didn’t hit the fly ball, Michael Young did. Ellis, of course, was the one thrown out at the plate.

61. Jason says:

I bet Kershaw could get an ALCS victory with a 1 run 2 hitter.
    Why would he want to stay in LA.

62. Casey says:

I agree, I am STILL steaming about last night. Bad decision by Mattingly….too early to pull that shit. Bringing Dee in not only took Agon, one of our best hitters, out of the game it took the bat out of Hanely’s hands, baseball’s hottest hitter!! He was intentionally walked…TWICE!!!! in extra Innings!!! OVER MANAGING! It was imperative that we leave St. Louis with AT LEAST 1 win, with Ryu on the mound for game 3…SEASON OVER!!! They made a great mid-season run, but that’s all you can say about this team.

“SEASON OVER!!!” One word describes that phrase. DEFEATIST. The Dodgers could get swept in 4 and they could come back and win 4 in a row. I can’t understand it when fans call the intestinal fortitude of the players or the team into question, and then fold themselves before the final verdict is in. Teams have come back from 2-0 deficits numerous times in the past. It won’t be easy, and it may not happen, but why can’t the Dodgers win the next 4 of 5? I sure hope the Dodger players haven’t folded like some of their fans apparently have.

And as badly as the Dodgers have hit, the Cardinals aren’t exactly knocking the cover off of the ball. Ryu and Nolasco have pitched well in the past. I see no reason why they can’t do it again. And if they do pitch well, then it’s Greinke and Kershaw. Sorry, but it ain’t over till it’s over.

64. Rob says:

We WILL take game three! The cards will come to LA too confident and the dodgers will win 5-3.

Tonight I led our movie group (20 folks; have done this monthly for 13 years now) — in the film: “Fever Pitch.”

About the Boston Red Sox and the crazy fan and his girlfriend; their relationship and the relationship with the Red Sox and all. Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore.

Folks loved it. And —— the Red Sox do come back from being 3 down to the Yankees and WIN the A.L. flag, then beat the Cardinals in the World Series.

1. If you have not seen the film — do so this weekend. Rent it, buy it, Amazon.com instant video Netflix . . .

2. Maybe the whole Dodger team needs to see the film — to pick them up.

I’m doing this from memory. But I believe the Dodgers came back from an 0-2 deficit in 1955, winning games 3,4,5, losing game 6 and winning game 7. Same in 1965 against the Twins, when they won the final game 2-0 with Koufax pitching on two days rest. Feel free to look it up, and let me know if my memory is still intact. And I previously mentioned the 1981 series against the Yankees when they stormed back from an 0-2 deficit to win in 6 games. It happens, and not as infrequently as you might think.

67. Yo! Adrian says:

Hanley ‘suspects something’s cracked’ in ribs

According to Scott Miller of CBS Sports, Hanley Ramirez “suspects something is cracked” in his rib cage.

X-rays were taken Saturday in St. Louis and turned up negative, but Ramirez is scheduled to have a CT scan back in Los Angeles on Sunday and the worry is that it will show something serious. Ramirez was struck in the ribs by a Joe Kelly fastball in Game 1 of the NLCS on Friday night at Busch Stadium. Nick Punto started at shortstop for the Dodgers in Game 2 on Saturday afternoon. Dee Gordon might also get a start in this series.

I would let it all hang out in game 3. Start Gordon at SS. Play Puig in center and Scott in right.

69. ESPN STATS says:

Since the League Championship Series went to a best-of-seven format in 1985, 23 teams have lost the first two games. Only three of those 23 have come back to win the series.

And until 2004 no team had come back from 0-3 in a series until the Red Sox. Point is, it has been done, so it can be done again. And if if something hasn’t been done, there’s always a first time. And call it the NLCS, call it the World Series, or call it what you want. Teams have come back from 0-2, the Dodgers having done it at least three times that I can recall. None of those was in the NLCS, but they were all 7-game postseason series. In those cases it was the World Series. Same as far as I’m concerned.

Well, we’re not the only ones. Red Sox got shut-out 1-0 on a one hitter.

And four Red Sox hitters struck out in the first inning.

All the stats are fun to read but how many if those teams were playing with so many parts missing?

If Ramirez is out and Ethier and Young remain ineffective that kind leaves it up to Puig and Gonzalez. Puig looks lost so why would Gonzalez even see a strike?

I have hope because we have the pitching. But both Greinke and Kershaw lost. We don’t see them again for a while. Ryu vs Wainwright? Then Nolasco? With an offense that is without direction?

We need the JV’s to step up. Tall order. But, it is not over.

Brooklyn is right about the future. It is bright. But we need something of a miracle here. We need to beat their ace and we need to do it with an offense that is severely crippled.

74. jerry says:

the card are not what you would call on fire..they just barely got bye with a win..both night…we are in every ball game..just not hitting…both game s we should of won..they have figure puig out..he is really lost …and pouts in the dug out…instead of trying to fine the answer..