When I looked at the Dodgers’ roster before the season started, I thought that it was likely Carl Crawford, Mark Ellis and Juan Uribe would be injured or waived before the season was over. Crawford was injury-prone and aging, Mark Ellis was really old and injured last year and Juan Uribe was just plain crap.
Well, here we are in October and all three players are still playing and all three are critical to this team’s success. Crawford has hit .308 with 4 HR and 6 RBI in the playoffs and has scored 8 runs. I’m impressed! Mark Ellis (#2 Hitter) is hitting .278 and has scored 5 runs while playing flawless defense and Juan Uribe has hit .250 with 2 HR and 7 RBI while playing Gold-Glove Defense.
Add in AJ Ellis (future Dodger manager) who is OPS’ing .1.013 while hitting at the bottom of the order has been clutch (but I have always had confidence in him with the game on the line). However, Yasiel Puig is still leading the team in batting average at .361 while Hanley Ramirez is OPS’ing .471. But we can’t forget Adrian Gonzalez who is OPS’ing 1.052 while hitting .343 with 3 HR and 7 RBI to go with 7 runs scored. So far, A-Gon is the MVP of the playoffs… or maybe co-MVP with Puig and Ramirez.
Game 6 and the Dodgers are behind 2-3, so it is simply “win or go home.” Simple is good. There is no room for mis-understanding. “Just win” is all there is.
Clayton Kershaw has the opportunity to pitch the game of his life on Friday. I had the opportunity to be there in St. Louis, but my son has a Football game on Friday night and I have never missed one of his games. Clayton came in second to my son. Sorry Clayton, but I never gave it a second thought. My son is the only choice. I’ll be watching on my I-phone.
Rants and Raves:
- Don Mattingly extended? Not a good idea in my opinion. Maybe if his IQ was a little higher…
- For the record, I don’t think the fastball in the ribs of Hanley Ramirez was accidental. Of course, Kelly wasn’t trying to break his rib, but if I were manager I would have drilled Beltran with a reliever just to make a statement. That’s one reason why I am not a Mattingly supporter. A couple of years ago, a guy shot the clerk at a gun shop in Indianapolis and the cleck pulled his gun and killed him. The owner of the gun store (Don’s Guns) said ” If you shoot us, we’ll shoot you back.” That is my policy in baseball, just to make sure the other team knows the consequences of hitting a Dodger.
- Scott Van Slyke? Don Mattingly doesn’t evidently know he is on the roster, which is one of the gripes I have with Donnie. The Cards play rookies, Donnie doesn’t like to and neither does Ned.
- Matt Kemp will be shopped this winter. I guarantee it.
- Don’t worry about Jansen – he will be lights out next game.
- I would sit Hanley and Andre in game 6. Both are hurting and hurting the team. It’s time to make a bold move. Here is my lineup for Game 6. Feel free to disagree.
- Young SS
- Ellis 2B
- Crawford LF
- Gonzalez 1B
- Puig CF
- Uribe 3B
- Van Slyke RF
- Ellis C
- Kershaw P