Can Clayton save the Dodger’s season?

Sandy Koufax pitched in his first playoff series when he was 23 years old in 1959.  It seems like he pitched a lot in the playoffs, but the fact is he did not pitch again in the playoffs until 1963 at age 27.  The Dodgers didn’t make the playoffs in 1964 but he again pitched in 1965 and 1966.  He had a career record of 4-3 but his ERA was 0.95 in just 57 IP with a 0.825 WHIP.  Pretty loft numbers.

Clayton Kershaw first pitched in the playoffs at age 20 and then again at age 21.  He did not fare well in the playoffs at that young age.  However, at age 25 he has blossomed and in 19 Innings he is 1-1 with a 0.47 ERA to go with a .068 WHIP.  Opponents are hitting a mere .125 against him.  Very Koufax-esque!

Clayton has suffered from the same thing Sandy suffered from – lack of run support, however with what he has accomplished this post-season his record is now 1-2 in the post-season with a 2.88 ERA and and a 1.07 WHIP.  His ERA coming into this post-season was almost 5.00 and with a good performance tonight he can get it to the low 2.00′s.

The stage is set – America is watching.  It seems like if he doesn’t pitch a complete game shutout, he has failed.  With the Dodgers down 3-2, it’s all on Clayton to save the Dodgers’ season!

Tomorrow we worry about game 7 IF we win game 6!

Rants and Raves

• Corey Seager is hitting .278 in the AFL… and rising!
  • Would you trade Matt Kemp for Kyle Seager?
  • Ethier and Ramirez starting?  I have no clue what they should do…
  • Ryu should start game 7 (if needed) with Greinke at the ready!

Commercial-Collage

109 Responses to “Can Clayton save the Dodger’s season?”

Just need to win today’s game. That’s it.

Let’s get it!

2. Rob says:

Lets win this and put doubt in the minds of the st. Louis players.

3. Quasimodo says:

I’ve had broken ribs – it only hurt when I laughed. One week of time for the bruised tissue to heal should be enough for HanRam to bring his B+ game to the show and a B+ Hanley is still a great threat to ANY pitcher. I surely want to see Hanley in the lineup and I even hope he’s challenged at the plate. That look-see might just be the nail in the coffin for the Cards game #6. Its gonna be a great game.

4. Matt says:

Cmon Dodgers, lets do this!!!

Quas,

To me it only hurt when I breathed!

Simple fix: Quit breathing!

6. the truth hurts says:

This is gonna be a doozy….

7. Quasimodo says:

Run support! Tonight’s game is the biggest game to date for the great Clayton Kershaw. We’re in very good shape on this one. Those who’ve suggested that Cardinals might be a dirty team will get proof one way or the other tonight. I believe Cardinals to be a class act and won’t step out of line even where elimination is on the menu. If Cardinals defeat the Dodgers, I’ll be one to cheer for Cardinals to win the championship. But I don’t think that’s something to happen. Cards have never come out on top after leading 3-1 in a best of seven and I don’t think they’re due yet. Maybe against anybody but the Dodgers. Cheers!

8. Pete M. says:

A barn burner tonite….
    Kemp for Seager??? Has my man’s stock went down that much??? Kemp will be back in 2014 fully healed and with a vengeance…
    It’s painful sometimes to watch the runs trickle in, but I’m sort of used to it now. Love a blow-out but don’t want tuo use up everything..
    Good luck for Hanley and Dre. I feel for them..

Hanley not starting tonight.

Crawford
    Ellis
    Agone
    Puig
    Ethier
    Uribe
    AJ
    punto
    Kersh

10. Watford Dodger says:

Hanley obviously not fit – correct decision. Punto won’t let us down.

11. Watford Dodger says:

You know what we’ve had no luck all season with injuries so I really hope that Punto has the game of his life tonight just to show the Cards that hitting Hanley wasn’t the end for us.
    Never wanted us to win more.

I think Hanley can pinch hit once – think Kirk Gibson. Playing the field and throwing is too much pain. You can take it for one AB.

There may be a moment tonight…

13. Quasimodo says:

Well it feels like a kick in the gut Hanley being scratched. Does this mean AGon will be walked every at bat? Guess the answer to that question depends on how many runners are on and how many outs there are. In this case I’d like seeing Puig in the 2 hole unless M. Ellis bats with more aggression. The book on him says that won’t be the case. I hope Mark has something on them in that instead. Wacha will likely have Uribe’s number, but maybe Juan’s timing will step up a notch. He’s been pretty damn good at surprises all season and +. Geez, Lets do this Dodgers!

Clayton will take it into his own hands and bring his bat to score himself some runs.
    Kemp for Seager , what are you smoking?

Bet the Cardinals will duck Puig once — and it will tick him off.

Couple of doubles for Seager in yesterday’s game. And another scoreless inning from Pedro Baez. This is good experience for both players.

Kemp for Seager. Maybe, but only if the Dodgers can somehow pry Giancarlo Stanton away from the Miami. And if such a deal came about, I want Seattle picking up all of Kemp’s contract. If that’s the case, I doubt if it’s happening.

I read that Hanley has the most pain on popups. Ken Gurnick said “Defensively, he seems reluctant to chase popups.”

Well, if Kershaw pitches a shutout tonight, will we win?

Lineup JUST CHANGED!

Hanley batting 4th now!!

I would trade Kemp for Kyle Seager in a heartbeat. The problem is, Seattle wouldn’t. So, don’t act like I’m crazy when it’s you.

A power hitting 3B? Are you kidding me?

20. Quasimodo says:

A ploy to get Wacha to pitch to AGon? Maybe, but as I said I hope Wacha challenges Hanley. It’d only be right to see HanRam go yard. I really expect just that!

21. Quasimodo says:

Talk about a generous strike zone! Keep tabs on this ump!

Now that was Mickey Mouse. Thanks Andys son, you got your 15 minutes of fame.

This likely won’t be a high scoring game.

I told myself when Crawford was on first, bunt him over. Let’s get 2 cracks at getting him in.

But instead, it’s a double play. Great.

24. Oops says:

I was screaming for the bunt with Ellis. So what if its the first inning, we needed to get Crawford in scoring position with our RBI machine up next. I told my wife, watch Ellis hit into a dp. Instead of a shot at scoring first against a young stud who we failed to score on fin game 2, Donnie plays it like iits the regular season. Dammit, this is game 6 of the NLCS that we must win. Anyone else out there think the bunt was in order?

3 weak grounders to start the game.

Kemp for Seager? Maybe. If they throw in a couple top prospects. Won’t happen.

Our Seager up to .278. That’s better. But he is still a few years out. We coulda had Wacha? Yoiks.

26. dpwtv says:

The problem isn’t the bunt… I hate the bunt.. The problem is why is Mattingly batting Mellis who’s terrible against right handers… second

mellis is an 8 hitter Rob. So is AJ. The reason m hits second is because we still don’t have a lead off hitter.

• Oops says:

Ok, but if he is in the lineup and isn’t good against right handers are the odds better that he gets a base hit, moves the runner to third without giving up an out, or..getting the bunt down, moving Crawford into scoring position for our RBI guy, or bunting into a dp? I would have called for the bunt there,love it or hate it.

27. Rob says:

I know Molina has a great percentage of throwing out runners but at some point we need to run.

28. Rob says:

I can already see this strike zone is garbage.

This guy won’t hit 85% Quas.

Anybody seen Andre Ethier?

Either this blue box is way off, or this umpire is guessing at Kersh’s pitches.

31. Pgunn says:

Oops, you know that had Ellis bunted, guys would’ve been screaming at Donnie at playing small ball so early. Move the runner over, let Agon and HanRam hit with a runner on second.

• Oops says:

Ok, so what? How many runs did we score last time against Wacha? How many runs do we score on average when Clayton pitches? What’s the real down side? What’s the upside? Think it through. Now we’re down 0-2 in this game. Mental edge to the cardinals big time. We could have taken the momentum immediately had we just seen a seen executed bunt by M Ellis. It’s all hindsight now…and as I type this, two more runs score. See you guys next year. Game over. Season over. We’re done.

It\’s on…

33. Rob says:

Beltran is so clutch. Walking him with first base open might be wise next time.

How about drilling him in the ribs to put him on.

So far, the 22 year old rookie drafted last year is out pitching the greatest Dodger pitcher of all time.

34. Pgunn says:

Is Don sutton pitching tonight? :)

Sutton has to be in that argument.

Clayton is being out pitched, again — by the same guy.

He has been in trouble every inning. Me thinks the Dodger offer will be less to sign him.

This is painful. Puig did a Puig from the outfield again.

Stick a fork in Kershaw!

38. Rob says:

Clayton is done. Strike zone is shit and Puigs throwing is horrible.

Get him out of there.

Watch Wacha hit a HR!

Glad our ace showed up in the biggest game of the year.

Those last two runs are on the umpire.

A good throw by Puig and he gets the out at home.

It’s going to take 80 pitches for Kershaw to get through 3.

The Dodgers are folding.

Just wait until next year…

44. Oops says:

Time to bust some ribs! I want blood!!

Get Kershaw out and re-group.

What a disappointment.

I call it what it is – a CHOKE!

5 games ago Donnie should have done that.

47. Pgunn says:

Time for the offense to step up. Now.

48. my boy blue says:

Let’s hold off the Kershaw and Koufax comparisons. Kershaw is not there yet he needs to be dominant in the post season. I think he might of lost a couple million.

49. Quasimodo says:

This ump is generous to Cards and squeezing Dodgers! Noise seriously to be made. HE STINKS!!!!!!!!

50. Pgunn says:

Crawford gets on again and Ellis fails to move him over again. Which ruins the inning,again.

• my boy blue says:

Mattingly needs to utilize more hit and runs with Elis up. My problem with mattingly is he manages like an American league manager waiting for the 3 run bomb.

51. Rob says:

Bad rebound inning for our bats.

52. Oops says:

I REALLY think that as the game gets into the later innings, we NEED to throw at their key players and hopefully hurt their chances in the World Series.

53. Jimbo says:

I read that the Reds are going to show Brandon Phillips this off-season. How about Phillips for Ethier?

Still plenty of game left. If Kershaw can give two more scoreless, we could crawl back in it.

We got ‘em right where we want them – overconfident and looking ahead.

55. Rob says:

Badger we will not cut into that lead if Donnie keeps waiting for that two run homerun. If we get a runner on with no outs it should be mandatory for Ellis to get him over.

Donnie is waiting for some hits to be strung together. Do far, Wacha is clearly pitching better. But don’t give up. He will tire and if we can keep him in the stretch, we can get to him. Just make sure they don’t score anymore.

Another stellar play by Puig.

Mark Ellis had two chances to get the Dodgers started with moving Crawford along or over or in — and screwed up. That hurt.

This former Texas A & M pitcher is making horse meat out of the Dodgers.

But — they still can get in this game.

Ethier and Hanley just cannot drive the ball because of their injuries. Too bad.

57. Gionfriddo says:

Blue has hit into THIRTEEN DP’s this postseason. 13!!!

At some point you HAVE to start the runner & force the issue.

58. Pgunn says:

Scared of Molina.

this is one of those games. Kersh and Puig look horrible out there.

Good learning lesson for Puig; hope he remembers this in the offseason and it motivates him.

60. my boy blue says:

DONE.

1. It\’s over.

2. Kershaw is a fraud.

3. I\’m out for a while.

Can this crippled team, not that good offensively to begin with, come back on the road?

63. Quasimodo says:

I’ve never seen so many ground balls find a hole. Well, maybe I haven’t.

64. Anonymous says:

I’m goin’ fishin’

65. Pgunn says:

The tank is dry.

66. my boy blue says:

CMON Ellis get it out of your glove. He is done

Look at the bright side: this is the last time we’ll see Mark Ellis in a Dodger uniform again

This team looks drugged. It would appear St. Louis wants it more.

69. the truth hurts says:

We blogged as hard as we could boys, we obviously didn’t blog hard enough! Maybe next year….

It’s conceivable to me that Kershaw could be suffering the effects of pitching on three days rest, last time. He’s piled up more innings this year than ever before. Whatever the case, this doesn’t look good. But I never give up until the last out. I’ve seen miracles before, and just hoping for one now.

Interesting about the Dodgers not taking Wacha. If I remember correctly, Baseball America had the Dodgers taking him in a mock draft before the actual one. But who knows, maybe Corey Seager will end up become a star.

Oops! Maybe Corey Seager will end up “becoming” a star.

Go Dodgers!!!!!! I don’t feel like going into offseason mode this early.

Hope so Brooklyn. Hard for me to believe the Dodgers, who are supposed to be so good at picking arms, passed on this kid.

Mark Ellis is a 36 year old career .265 hitter. The fact he was our starter, hitting second, screams at me we have a real need at that position. He did play better than I thought he would this year, but, he is nothing more than a back-up forced into a starter role because of lack.

So….. we gonna give Kershaw his 300 million? I wouldn’t do that even if he had shut ‘em out tonight.

A f’n blowout. Not exactly the classic series we had hoped for.

In a few minutes, it’s going to be time to start talking about the off season.

72. Bball says:

I got nothing but big basset hound eyes guys. Time to start the offseason conversation I guess. Certainly not pleased with this year.

I left my TV to post here when the score was 4-0. When I got back to the TV it was 9-0. The miracle just go bigger. Maybe it was merciful that I didn’t see those 5 Cards runs.

It’s ugly Brooklyn. You didn’t miss much.

This Cardinal team is better than the team the Dodgers put on the field tonight. We needed another shutout from Kershaw to compete, and you just can’t expect that every time out.

74. Rob says:

We will never win with Donnie! This game is totally on Kersh but momentum is everything. If we stole a game in the beginning of this series maybe things might be different. The Adrian gonzalez pitch runner in game one will loom forever.

I could see why we wouldn’t take Wacha with the 18 pick in June 2012.

We had Alan Webster, Nate Eovaldi, RDLR, Josh Lindblom, and Ethan Martin, not to mention Zach Lee in the system, with most ready to come up. We really needed an impact bat, and Saeger was supposed to be that bat.

We’ll find out in 3 years whether that was the right call or not.

76. Gionfriddo says:

Kershaw is a fraud??

Yep, 2 Cy’s in 3 years constitutes a fraud in some minds. However, in minds that have moments of sanity, he’s called the best pitcher in baseball. He’ll use this nightmare to come back stronger in ’14…..

Mark’s just upset friddo. Heck, in this thread he makes the comparison to Koufax… again. No one believes Kershaw is a fraud, though he sure fell flat in the biggest game of his career. Not worth $300 million that’s for sure.

I didn’t see that 5 run inning, but I just took a look at the boxscore on Gameday. Why after throwing over 90 pitches was Kershaw brought out to start another inning on a night that he clearly didn’t have it? That arm is too valuable to be doing that sort of stuff. Stuff like that could put me back in the fire Mattingly mode. That’s something Joe Torre would do.

Last game of the year…. probably thought he could go 105 pitches or so.

7 earned in 4. Yuck. Wacha is the real deal. I want him instead of Seager. I don’t care how many arms we already had, you can never have too much good pitching. It’s what we are supposed to do. We can trade those arms for Stanton. Never pass up a quality arm when it’s there in the draft.

78. Pgunn says:

You cannot waste opportunities in the playoffs. Games 1 and 2 were winnable games.

79. Gonzo says:

I won’t give up until the 27th out. And while I’m pissed I prefer to see the positives. No one and I mean no one thought the Dodgers would be in the NLCS. It took a historic run and the baseball Gods just don’t think it their time. YET!! Anything can happen but if this is it, I tip my hat off to this team. I trust Kasten will make the necessary adjustments to get us to the promised land.

I won’t give up either, but, you know, the Dodgers have 2 hits and the Cardinals just keep pouring it on.

Kasten will get it figured out. It was indeed a good run. NLCS is nothing to sneeze at. But, we all kinda knew we had holes in this team, and when your 3-4-6 hitters all go down, well….. that is hard to overcome.

80. my boy blue says:

Pitchers and Catchers report in February

81. Gonzo says:

Oh and no way does Puig get a pass for his two boneheaded plays. Somebody needs/will to pll him aside and show him the tape of what his miscues cost the team. He will mature.

82. LOL says:

Kershaw = Koufax? Moronic

Seager v. Wacha = Another bad draft by Logan

83. How says:

How did Kershaw choke?

???

84. Bball says:

Well at least gold rush starts next week

85. Bball says:

Nevermind. Starts tonight. See ya next year everybody

86. Hokey1 says:

Mattingly is terrible. Does he know sometimes you have to use the hit and run?

The biggest challenge over the winter — will be NOT to fill holes, NOT to add a 2nd baseman, or figure out third base — or a solid backup SS.

The biggest challenge over the winter will be — to get Puig’s head into Major League Baseball and how it should be played here in the American/Canadian version.

Those first two months of his was magical. He could do no wrong. Now he almost can do nothing right. His skill level is just too raw. Mucho learning has to happen to this 22 year old rookie. He can be great — but he will have to learn the game.

88. Pgunn says:

Gonzo, the deal with Puig that he’s an “exciting” player. When he does stuff that works out, he’s a breath of fresh air; no matter if it’s not fundamentally sound. If he messes up, the Dodgers should look past it, because he’s fun to watch and the Dodgers shouldn’t rein him in. In other words the entertainment factor trumps all,

“Seager v. Wacha = Another bad draft by Logan.”

Let’s get this clear. Yes, the Dodgers did have a chance to get Wacha just in front of the Cards. But so also did the 17 teams in front of the Dodgers. From the reports I’ve read, Wacha did not have a curve in college. It’s something he’s developed since he was signed. And sure, with 20/20 hindsight I too wish the Dodgers had selected him.

Bobby got it right above. “We’ll find out in 3 years whether that was the right call or not.”

And you never know. Wacha may turn out to be very good, or maybe not. We’ve seen that before. And I’m not worried about Dodger arms. We don’t have the deepest system, YET, but one thing the Dodgers do have in their system are some good arms. What they also have is a paucity of position players. Hence, the probable reason they signed Seager. And remember, Seager came out of high school and Wacha out of college. If he’s going to be good, it will still take Seager a few years to justify or not justify the pick. Up till now he’s been pretty good.

And maybe if McDirt hadn’t destroyed the Dodgers farm system they wouldn’t have felt the need to sign a position player. And maybe they would have ended up higher in the standings, and picked much lower in the draft, and both Wacha and Seager would have not been available by the time they picked.

Questions, questions, questions. Personally I’m satisfied with the Dodgers’ direction, and expect a lot of good things going forward. But you can bet there will be the inevitable mistakes. But hopefully those mistakes will be more than compensated for by lots of good moves that were impossible under our previous ownership.

Not that it matters, but it’s the 8th inning and this ump wouldn’t know a strike if it crawled up his ass.

Well Gents (and lady):

Horrible ending, but overall we made the final 4, and were 2 wins from the World Series. Overall, positive start to the new ownership. Let’s get it next year

See you all tomorrow!

92. my boy blue says:

As I am a masochist, I rewatched the 3rd inning, it seems after the Carpeter at bat Kershaw was frustrated. His frustration seemed to grow when he wasnt getting strike calls. Kershaw needs to learn to check his emotions in big spots.
    As for Donnie, I want a “National League” manager. One in which will hit and run, send runners and create holes, bunt over a runner and not an “American League” manager that is waiting for a 3 run bomb.