Bluebloods and Junkyard Dogs

You gotta’ have ‘em both!  Adrian Gonzalez, Yasiel Puig, Hanley Ramirez and the Bluest of the Bluebloods, Clayton Kershaw all stepped up and did what Bluebloods do.  Kershaw, who will ultimately go down as the greatest Dodger pitcher ever, showed why he is so great and helps you understand why he will be even better in the future.

Through his first four innings all he had was his fastball, but the Junkyard Dog in him kept battling until he got the handle on his curve and other pitches as he finished 7 innings striking out 11 of the last 12 batters.  As a pitcher… or any young man for that matter, reaches his mid-to-late-twenties, they become wiser, smarter and better equipped for pitching and life in general.  Between 25-30 the greatest Dodger pitcher of all time, up until now, came into his own and was devastating.  Write this down:  Clayton Kershaw will be even more devastating than he is right now in a year or two.  Scary!

Yes, the Bluebloods did their jobs.  Hanley had a key hit and played good defense and Puig showed his skills as did A-Gone and Kershaw, but the Junkyard Dogs also stepped up.  Last night it was the law firm of Ellis  Ellis & Uribe who held the Braves in contempt of court.  You just knew that those three would get it done.

The pen is fresh.  Let Andre rest.  We’ll need him the next round.  Is this what the lineup will look like tonight?

1. Crawford  LF
  2. Ellis  2B
  3. Ramirez  SS
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Puig  CF
  6. Uribe  3B
  7. Van Slyke  RF
  8. Ellis  C
  9. Greinke  P

Let’s win two and Chop those Tomahawks!  Also, I have to give credit to Donnie – he was prepared and looked in command.  Nice!

government-shut-down

64 Responses to “Bluebloods and Junkyard Dogs”

1. Anonymous says:

Great to get the game 1 win. Just about everybody contributed in this one. Biggest concern to me is Mattingly playing the bunt card again though. WHY would you have Uribe bunt with Schumacher, AJ Ellis and Kershaw coming up. You know Schumacher is going to get walked and now you have AJ Ellis (very slow) hitting against a sinker ball pitcher with Kershaw on deck. Had a chance to put the game away for good there.

2. Corey says:

sorry that was me above

3. Pete M. says:

It’s a beautigul thing to watch the game and realize the ATL fans are getting quieter and quieter…
    How can I complain??? My only concern is 124 pitches with a good lead out of the gate… Neccesary???
    Tonite a little SVS magic….

4. Matt says:

Great start!

Someone mentioned the other day on MLB Network that the Dodgers should pitch Greinke in game three because his splits are way better at home. Does anyone have a take on that? Has Greinke gotten over this disorder now and can he be effective on the Road? Or is Mattingly making a big mistake by trying to treat this matter as if it didn’t exist? Curious on what Dodgerland thinks about this………….. Great getting the 1st game of the series……………. Go Blue

6. Jason says:

On most other teams Greinke would be the game one starter, so I think you have to go with him tonight. To steal 2 in Atlanta and gain that momentum would obviously be HUGE, so maybe that pressure would be too much for Ryu? Also, I think Ryu would benefit more from pitching at home from a ‘comfort’ standpoint.
    Go Blue!

I am not sure what his splits are either, but regardless Greinke is our co-ace. And with the chance to take a stanglehold on the series he has to go tonight (today). He has done particularly well in the post season in his career, however neither had Kershaw until last night.

For me the key is our hitting. If teh Dodgers can score runs early we will win. All pitchers perform better with a lead. They don’t feel the pressure to be so fine and have less pressure to be perfect. So with a staff like the Dodgers 1 run here one run there is huge. Last night is the blue print for our October run.

I was a little concerned about Jansen last night. He didn’t look great and I have to wonder if Donnie gives him the night off tonight or reserves Wilson just in case Kenley gets in trouble in a save situation.

Also great to see Dre get an AB. Even though he didn’t get a hit being able to get an AB make contact was good enough to keep him engaged.

Anyway, great start for the boys!

10 wins to go!!

I like the rookie Ryu at home in a big game 3 rather than on the road in a game 2.

However, maybe there’s less pressure in this game 2 because we took game 1? Either way, I trust Greinke to be in total control. That anxiety issue was many years ago.

Obviously Kenley cannot be used today. Hopefully the bats are sharp again and we don’t need the closer.

• Hawkeyedodger says:

Kenley will be just fine to use today. He hadn’t pitched in quite a while and they have Saturday off. Closers to get work or they aren’t sharp which showed last night. By the time the 9th inning rolls around tonight, he’ll be ready.

9. Matt says:

For me, Ryu at home is a better choice. Dodger stadium will be electric Sunday night!!

10. Quasimodo says:

It was Mitch Williams who said Ryu should game#2 @ Braves and Greinke pitch game#3 @ Dodgers for reasons that Greinke has pitches 1.1 better at home than on road. I have to admit Williams made a lot of sense with that. Williams says many things that are laughable and turn out completely wrong but Ryu in game #2 I liked. I also like Williams, but I wouldn’t place a bet on any of hie picks.

Greinke has a 3.21 ERA on the road and a 2.11 at home, but he had a couple of bad starts on the road which really skews the whole thing. The disparity is bigger with Ryu who has a 3.69 ERA on the road and a 2.32 ERA at home. As usual, Williams is an idiot!

12. Quasimodo says:

Who here was so lucky that they got the ‘Vin Scully’ broadcast of yesterday’s game? I was not. I got the TBS feed but @ MLBN I saw highlights with Scully calling it. I feel ripped off.

13. Bobbie17 says:

USA Today on Thursday had a big story on Kershaw/Grienke v Koufax/Drysdale during the peak years. Interesting. Kershaw needs rings and postseason wins before he is in that class. But it may be coming. Koufax won game 7 in 1965 against the Twins with short rest and no curveball. But it was the World Series. He did this multiple times on a team with no offense. Kershaw has a chance at greatness, but the postseason will tell. So far, so good.

14. Quasimodo says:

I’ve got to address something here. I don’t believe there’s such an animal as a person without mental disorders. A ‘normal’ person is a fictional creature we put in our heads to judge our behavior by to ask ourselves ‘would a normal person do this or that? And thus the fictional normal person does nothing wrong. That is not human.

Greinke’s has a medical condition that is treated with drugs, and to the best of my knowledge, as long as he stays on the medication he’s fine, and anxiety is not an issue. Anybody who has watched Greinke this year knows that he’s mentally tough, just like Mark’s junkyard dogs. He should be fine tonight. The only question is whether or not the Dodgers offense will deliver. If it does the Dodgers should win.

There is no sense in arguing the Koufax-Kershaw thing. They’re both great pitchers, and Kershaw will probably have the benefit of longevity on his side. But in my mind Koufax is the greatest pitcher I ever saw, and for me, it’ no contest. And I wonder how much Koufax would have benefitted from pitching in a five man rotation, and being able to pitch a “mere” 236 innings like Kershaw did this year. And how much would Koufax have benefitted from today’s more advanced medical procedures and drugs?

In his career, through age 30, Sandy Koufax won 4 games in the playoffs and finished with a 4-3 career playoff record. He had a 0.95 ERA with a .825 WHIP. He pitched once when he was 23 in the playoffs but didn\’t pitch there again until age 27.

Clayton pitched at 20 and 21 in the playoffs and didn\’t do well. He currently is 1-1 in his career with a 4.43 ERA. One more good outing will bring his ERA down immensely. He could have 4 wins THIS year and maybe well over a dozen in his career.

Watch!

As the mystics have been telling us for centuries – it’s all an illusion.

18. Matt says:

What happens when the Red Sox games runs over on time and it overlaps the Dodger’s start time. Will they put it on TNT, Tru TV? Need to set DVR and Im concerned Ill miss the start….

Any thoughts?

19. Quasimodo says:

In the past they’ve used TNT as backup so likely they that’ll be the case again as its been proven to work out.

20. Matt says:

Appreciate it. Daughter has a softball game to need to DVR the start. I wont wear any Dodger gear as I dont want a random person letting me know the score.

Here’s to a great game this evening!! Let’s enjoy it.

Why do I feel this is gona be a 2-1 game? Damn

Minor is on – hitting his spots and pitching inside. He will be tough, especially if he keeps getting strikes called on pitches 4″ off the plate (Puig)

23. Quasimodo says:

I hope this umpire reads this blog. Ump, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!

This ump SUCKS! Are these the best MLB has?

Swing at strikes dammit!

26. Quasimodo says:

This umpire calls strikes that are both outside AND inside AND low to boot.

They have 2, 2 out rbi. We have zero.

Last night we got a couple clutch hits. today we haven’t. yet.

They have good pitching too.

Anything (including a squeeze) but a weak grounder back to the pitcher.

Crawford should have tried to bunt and squeeze that runner from 3rd home.

No big hits so far tonight.

Taking 1 in Atlanta is not bad, 2 would be better.

31. Corey says:

the one time mattingly should have bunted

Puig took that third strike, right down the middle. What was he thinking???

Maybe should have used Cappy for 2. Paco has looked tired for a while now b

34. Corey says:

should have left withrow in to face the lefty off the bench. .250+ hitter with only 30+ atbats on the whole year

Swing at stri……

Ah forget it.

Boy, has Puig ever been a bomb over the past two weeks or so.

He has lost whatever he had back in June and July.

And the visitor crowds just love when they strike him out.

And his hits . . . bleeders through the infield, and that one HR couple of weeks ago.

He looks lost. Period. What is Big Mac doing with him???

37. Quasimodo says:

Try telling me this idiot ump ain’t squeezing Dodgers pitching more.

I’ve seen it Quas. Bad, inconsistent strike zone.

Plate discipline Roger. Puig does not have it. These pitchers know it. Experience should help with that, but for now, no reason to throw him a strike.

Ok, the second string heroes you guys predicted are coming up. Let’s see how they do against one of the better closers in the game.

39. Bball says:

The home plate ump is from Georgia. Just saying

40. Quasimodo says:

Idiot phucking umps! Gordon beat the throw!

Safe.

MLB. Way behind every other sport.

42. why says:

Why isn’t Crawford clutch? ?????

Badger, you are are resident umpire.

The Ump was in position for a call, but in the wrong position for that play. He missed the body and ball and bag — and instant replay next year might have changed that.

Oh well, the Brave closers were better than the Dodgers, I think.

The guys left it short tonight.

The Braves fans are . . .

It was close but I had him safe. Why? A fielder will never reach for a second attempt if he has him out with the first attempt And, a prime rule in umpiring, if you don’t SEE an out, you cannot CALL an out. I always make calls automatically from me couch. I swear I am right more often than these bozos are.

All in all a tough game to watch. Bad umpiring, tomahawk slop, and poor plate discipline. Sure hope we don’t have to go back there.

Go A’s.

45. Quasimodo says:

Gordon was tagged 1st. But the ball wasn’t in the glove yet.

46. the truth hurts says:

Tough game guys. Atlanta was rockin tonight. The Withrow move was skeptical at best. We are a better team. I will give a better recap tomorrow. Im exhausted.

The umpiring was indeed atrocious. But also, what I fear most about this Dodger team reared it’s ugly head. The offense has been anemic of late, and today was no different.

I’m not an SVS fan, but I wondered why he wasn’t in the lineup today instead of Schumaker, who cannot hit lefties. I’m guessing it was the veteran thing, and maybe because he’s a better defender than SVS. Still I would have preferred SVS’ righthanded power in the lineup today against the lefthanded Minor.

Thanks Badger. I was trying to think of a good description for that tomahawk thing. “Tomahawk slop” is perfect. Yeah, let’s sweep them at Dodger Stadium. But to do so we’re going to have to score. It’s Ryu and Nolasco in games 3 & 4. Got a feeling that under the right circumstances we could see Greinke coming out of the pen in game 4 or 5.

And if we get past the Braves, our puny offense is going to derail us against either the Cardinals or the Pirates, which are both better than the Braves.

48. jerry says:

paco .can not get a out about the last 3 or 4 time we use him.. most of our strike out; was up out of the strike zone,puig and mark ellis keep doing that swing at should high balls out of the zone.

Donnie taking some heat this morning. I suppose he has it coming. Personally I pitch to a .240 hitter. And I try one bunt w Crawford.

Puig with 3 singles and 4 strike outs in 8 at bats. This isn’t the same lineup that won 42 out of 50 without him OPS’n over 1.200. He looks frustrated and angry but he also looks stubborn. He just won’t, or can’t, make the necessary adjustments.

I am weary of pointing out how amateurish Major League officiating is. There is just no accountability and no moves to improve it.

50. Yo! Adrian says:

=======from mlbtraderumours====================================
    •One assistant GM proposes that the Rays could trade David Price to the Dodgers for Corey Seager, Joc Pederson, Julio Urias and Chris Withrow, Peter Gammons writes. That would give the Rays two very good hitting prospects in Seager and Pederson, a very young arm in Urias, and a big-league reliever in Withrow. MLB.com ranks Pederson and Seager the top two prospects in the Dodgers system, with Urias at No. 4.
    =================================================================
    If Longoria & Zobrist are the returns, I will take that trade.
    But I don’t think the Dodgers need Price for that package. They are the future of the dodgers.

51. Bball says:

A simple NO

On the face of it, it seems like a simple NO. First off, there may be pitchers that the Dodgers can obtain without surrendering any prospects. In the end, Price will cost money if he’s signed long term. He made about $10 million in 2013, with $4 million of that deferred to 2014. From what I can surmise, he won’t be eligible for free agency until after the 2015 season (he was a super-2 after the 2011 season).

This winter there is the potential that the highly rated Japanese pitcher, Tanaka, may be posted. If so (even with the posting fee) he’s not likely to be more expensive Price.

Also, when I look at Price’s stats (without knowing much else), a red flag pops up. His strikeouts per 9 this year dropped from 8.7 the previous two years to 7.3 this year. And his hits per 9 also increased significantly. Of course, his walks per 9 also dropped from 2.5 the previous two years to 1.3 in 2013. So maybe being around the plate more often explains some of those stats.

Also, the Dodgers greatest need right now is additional offense. Somehow, I think through the farm system and perhaps free agency, the Dodgers will add a pitcher or two over the winter. But they also need to address 3B, 2B, and maybe the outfield if Kemp remains a question mark. As for Zobrist and Longoria, I even have questions about that. Zobrist will be 33 next year, so I’m not sure I want him on a team that really needs to start getting younger. But we certainly could use Longoria. I don’t know if anything like that deal is actually being discussed. But a variation that would bring Longoria over to the Dodgers would be worth discussing.

I have confidence that, although it may be frustrating to watch now, Puig will be considerably better next year. As I’ve noted before, I think he needs the winter to think about what he has to improve, the the less pressure packed atmosphere of Spring Training to work on refinements. And I think another year of maturity, and another year to get accustomed to life outside of Cuba will contribute to making him a better player. Let’s not forget that he’s a 22 year old with very little professional baseball experience. Or have we forgotten that he played maybe less than a half a season in 2012 at Rookie and A-Ball, and just a couple of months at AA this year before making the jump to the Dodgers. A lot refinements that he would have ordinarily made in the minors without the glare of publicity, he’s now having to make in the glare of the national media spotlight, and in the spotlight of a major media market in LA.

As for winter moves (trades, free agency, etc.) they are best discussed after the season, when it becomes clearer as to what our needs are, and what’s available at what price (be it player or money, or both). Right now the focus is on tomorrow’s game.

I was going to paste the above link in my previous post, but forgot. It’s David Price’s career stats.

I’m suggesting this as something to think about in the offseason. I haven’t even thought it through thoroughly.

With Jose Dominguez likely coming back and being available for the pen, and with the Beard looking better all the time, I was wondering if the Dodgers might not consider Chris Withrow for a spot in the rotation next year. It appears as if he’s mostly conquered his command problems, and I’m going to assume that they will get better, if anything. He’s also beginning to make better use of his off-speed stuff. And there are probably other alternatives to Belisario other than Withrow.

Just food for thought.

Looks like for a few minutes the focus will be on that rumor.

In two words – maybe. I like Withrow and Seager could be our best prospect. Where was Zobrist mentioned in that rumor? If he’s included – it makes it much more interesting. He’s sure better than anyone we have and shows no signs of slowing down. Brooklyn’s point about getting younger is a good one. But three if those names are just prospects. What a rotation that would be!

56. Quasimodo says:

We have to keep in mind that we have pitchers in rehab coming off surgery.

Coming off surgery.

And if they all come back 100%, what a rotation that would be.

I have no problem with an excess of starting pitching problem.

Anyone believe Magic when he says the numbers don’t add up for Cano? I’ll bet they talk to him. First if all, nobody is going to give him 300 XXL and secondly only two teams are likely to be in serious bidding. Where would he rather play?

When it comes to letting everyone know what they’re thinking, I take every word out of a Dodger official’s mouth with a large grain of salt. Any negotiations will likely be behind the scenes. And Badger is right, how many teams do you believe will actually be in on Cano? And the $300 million is just a number that was placed out there by Cano’s agent. Nice place to start, but it ain’t gonna end up there.

So I’m sure the Dodgers will kick the Cano tires. Whether anything comes of it is anybody’s guess, and will likely depend on myriad factors. In fact, I’m sure the Dodgers will kick a lot of tires. I’ve no doubt that they will spend money (especially since a large chunk is coming off the books this year), but where they will spend it is anybody’s guess. Lots of things have to be addressed, among which is Clayton Kershaw, and maybe Hanley (unless the Dodgers let that one ride past the 2014 season).

Should be an interesting offseason. Just hope we’re thinking of it as a means for the Dodgers to REPEAT as World Champions.