Why so many injuries?

Hamstring injuries have hit the dodgers repeatedly this year – Hamley Ramirez (again last night), Matt Kemp and Carl Crawford are at the forefront.  The Dodgers allegedly have a world-class training staff and take this stuff seriously, so I am not going to assume that they are just morons.  I am sure that they know about the importance of potassium and proper hydration, so it must be something else.  Athletes today are some of the finest physical specimens ever on this planet but it seems that they have more difficulty with injuries than ever before.  Could it be that our salt today is just sodium chloride and does not contain the other 80+ trace elements?  Why are diseases like autism and Alzheimers increasing by leaps and bounds?

Some people think it is related to the type of vaccinations utilized today or chemicals such as Aspertame used to sweeten foods (if you are inclined, read this article by Dr. Mercola about artificial sweeteners).  Refined foods and chemicals in the water may play a role as well.    I would recommend that the Dodgers medical staff look into the diets of their players and see what role that may have in the injury bug that has bitten them again.  If you drink bottled water HERE is something to consider.  By the way, the US State Department just place a large order with US Water last night.

• Hanley Ramirez is the player the Dodgers can least afford to lost.
  • It was a nice win last night!
  • Does anyone want James McDonald back – I’ve always said he’s a reliever, not a starter.  He’s available…
  • Bumgarner vs. Kershaw tonight – Classic!

RO_Giveaways

32 Responses to “Why so many injuries?”

Congrats on the business order!

Yes, this hammy issue this season is pretty frustrating. I’m also gona guess these trainers understand the importance of stretching AND proper diets a lot more than I do, but I’m still confused why we seem to have such serious hammy injuries.

Keep Haney out until the very end. Play Dee, play Jerry Puntomakeryoung

If James McDonald wants to sign a minor league deal, why not. The Dodgers will likely have more than few options for their bullpen next year. So why not add McDonald to the mix, as long as there’s no contractual commitment of any kind.

Is this rash of hamstring issues just a Dodgers phenomenon, or is a baseball-wide epidemic? And if it has anything to do with diet or the intake of any number of chemicals, is that true for only those that play for the Dodgers?

Could it be that diseases like Autism and Alzheimer’s are increasing due to improved diagnosis, or in the case of the latter, because people are just living longer, creating more opportunity for them to develop the disease before they die?

3. Bobbie17 says:

Too much weight training from an early age. With PEDS gone? this might not be as much of a factor. Basically, these guys are too strong for their bodies and the stress they put them under. I also wonder what these guys eat–and how they eat–when no one is looking. Are there wives at home cooking for them? Do they have their own cooks? Take out? Eating at all hours of the day and night, with travel, etc.? That is life in this Century, at least for the foreseeable future. I wonder if the discipline they take to the field applies the same to their diets. I doubt it. And yes, the food we get is crap.

4. Bobbie17 says:

By the way, good win last night. I hoped it would be easier. We need another 6 wins against the Giants. I would like an nice, even 30 next to Giants when the season is done.

5. Quasimodo says:

Most of us here are walking antiques. Its rare when buying fruit that I’m satisfied with its sweetness being spoiled by having a memory of how delightful used to taste. Plants drink water too. I don’t know if water is lacking trace elements but I’m certain water is not lacking trace compounds. At least water that is consumed by produce. The human body is is a chemical plant

6. KLG says:

Stretch, stretch, stretch. Why not a major stretching program like martial arts practioners endure. I am 48 and have never had an issue with my hammys. I credit this to 16 years of Tang Soo Do (Chuch Norris’ style). Although not to the same level, I played baseball until I was 43 and still lift weights 4 days a week. Never and issue. Stretch till it hurts. I used to cry when my 300 pound Sa Bum Nim (sensei) would lay across my back while I was doing the splits. It’s been 12 years since I last took it seriously and my hamstrings are great. Just a thought…

7. jerry says:

bobbie17 i totally agree with you ..i played base ball and was on the track and cross country team…and we never did any weight trainnig..we did just a few stretch..my first hamstring was at age 40 , and the long toss for the pitchers is what make the elbow need t.j surgury

8. Quasimodo says:

I was worried that Crawford might of been risking a hammy. He sure was in overdrive when he scored.

9. Watford Dodger says:

Athletes have had hamstring problems since the beginning of time. Do you seriously think these guys don’t prepare in all aspects before they play? Get real. Look how gutted they are when it happens & once it dies there will be a weakness. Hamstring injuries are often related to something else – normally back – and often the nerves that run from the back to the hammys in sheaths that get worn with use & age. These guys are athletes and if you look it’s the guys with a lot of speed that pick up these injuries – Crawford, Hanley, Kemp even Stanton picked one up earlier in the season. It happens as you get older.
    Lets just hope that they hold Hanley up as long as possible.
    Enjoyed Wilson getting the win against his old team. Bet they hated that.
    On the roster for me SVS is a must. In the end it will come down to Donnie looking round at the bench one night when it’s all on the line. I’m sure he would rather see him sitting there then almost anyone else. He’s got power – I’d have him ahead of JHair or Dee.

It’s the kiss of death if Dr. Mattingly says he’s OK.

11. Watford Dodger says:

Very good – like that.

12. Watford Dodger says:

There is one question that needs answering – what the F##k are we gonna do with Branden League? Got him for a other two years. Does he play 3rd base?

13. Quasimodo says:

Thinking of ‘soccer’ as a sport that athletes make many quick sprints, I googled ‘hamstring injuries in soccer’ and found at ‘The Science of Soccer Online’ a story ‘Preventing Hamstring Injuries With Eccentric Training’. A very large scale study by Danish researchers found ‘Nordic Hamstring Exercises’ A.K.A. ‘Russians Curls’ reduced injuries by over 60% and recurring injuries by 85% = 71% less injuries. The test had over 900 participants, around 50/50 using/not using in actual games. I’d sure of liked 71% less hamstring injuries with Dodgers this year.

14. Bball says:

That’s my boy.

Just returned home from a play . . . listening on the car radio . . . and Clayton just lost it again. He should be glad no one is really challenging him for the Cy Young Award . . . because he might have lost it tonight.

Yet, maybe the guys can get this game back.

2 esrned in 7. Not a bad outing by Kershaw. Team 0 for 9 WRISP. Doesn’t get any worse than that. 4-6 in last 10. Puig down to .337 with a 1 for 5. All in all a crap performances a mediocre offensive club.

Good thing everyone in the West is .500 or worse.

I know we are all concerned about the fragility of both Ramirez and Kemp. We already extended one of them. Do we extend the other?

Quiet in here.

18. Bball says:

I’m quiet cuz I’m starting to get nervous. Players getting hurt, kershaw not being vintage kershaw. We all no the division is ours even with the b squad in. We just really need everybody healthy for the playoffs or there’s gonna be an early exit.

19. Watford Dodger says:

Badger – did you like my Hanley diagnosis? When you have had lots of those injuries yourself you have an understanding of what’s going on. Hammys finished me off. Think I might be up for Falcone’s job?
    Think it’s quiet in here because we’ve known for some time that the division is ours & therefore we are just ticking off the days till October. Sure the players are doing the same.
    I think actually this may all work in our favour. Forget Atlanta. Lets wrap some of these boys up and bring them up a week before the end of the season to get back in the groove. Try not to worry about the results between now & then. Think of it as preparing a racehorse for a big race. No point having him kicking down the gate three weeks before – its all about timing. Switch the boys off for a bit – let them regroup – then unleash them. We have been lucky rely in that the injuries we have picked up – Ryu, Ethier, Hanley, Kemp are now and not in two weeks. Gives them all a chance to peak again.
    I think the return of Kemp could be particularly timely for everyone (teammates & fans) – a real shot in the arm. Don’t lose the faith now as this lull was bound to happen. Lets embrace it and stay positive. I remain confident.

20. Watford Dodger says:

Also – let The Reds, Pirates & Cards beat each other up. Imagine all the nervous energy they’re burning up night after night. They will be knackered come the post season – just right for our well rested and ready to go boys!

C’mon we can win this.

21. Watford Dodger says:

Am

22. Watford Dodger says:

If the playoffs started tonight who would your number 3 pitcher be? Ryu or Ricky?

23. Pete M. says:

W.D. If were facing a RH heavy lineup I go with Nolasco… It’s a great position to be in, whomever Donnie B. goes with…
    Badger, great comeback for UCLA today to bury Big Red… Now if ND can get back on track….
    That magic # is dwindling…Go Blue…

24. Watford Dodger says:

Uribe hitting clean up- who would have thought it?

I have no problem extending Hanley, but wonder if it shouldn’t be done with an understanding that he might be better off moving over to 3B. It’s definitely less demanding on the body, and in Hanley’s case, I have my doubts about him being our long term shortstop. If Hanley were moved to 3B the Dodgers could concentrate on upgrading short instead of 3B. Long term I think that’s the best plan. I don’t consider Seager a slam dunk, and besides, he’s apparently OK at 2nd and 3rd. Furthermore, Seager realistically will not be ready at least until 2015 or 2016. And if we somehow end up with an overabundance of infielders, what’s wrong with that? It just opens the possibilities for trades, etc.

By the way, haven’t heard anything lately about Alexander Guerrero.

The hitting still concerns me. I don’t think players can just turn it on and off like a light switch. I hope Kemp will come back as the Kemp of old, but as talented as he is, he’s not a machine. I think Puig is a tremendous talent, and I have no doubt that he could get hot again. But he too is not a machine. Or to put it another way, he’s a wild horse, but he’s not Superman. He’s going through an adjustment period, and there’s no guarantee that he can make all the adjustments he needs to going into the playoffs.

And now Ethier appears to be a little banged up, and let’s face it, we really can’t be confident that this team will suddenly come together physically at just the right time. Real life usually doesn’t work like that.

26. Quasimodo says:

The game last night was the only one I missed in the last 3 seasons due to sat issues. That’s now fixed just minutes before game. Cheers!

Wow, like another Dodger pitcher was not ready to start a game.

28. Watford Dodger says:

Quas – that is an amazing record.
    You may wish that the TV was still broken tonight I think. 3 down in 1st…..

Brooklyn,

Forget Hanley if you want to move him to 3B.

You\’ll get the .255 Hanley. Not worth the money. Sign someone else.

He has to stay at SS if you want his bat.

I know that to be a fact, just like I know the world is round, although I have never seen it personally.

You might be right Mark. If so, let him walk, and look to see who else for both 3B and SS is out there — that is solid to build around.

Oh yes, take out the regulars — and let the kids play tonight. That will really tick off the Giants.

31. Quasimodo says:

Welp, guess Nolasco’s agent is spitting toes while watching his commission shrink.