What Nolasco is doing is bad!

Horrible!

Terrible!

It’s really bad… for the Dodgers chances of re-signing him.

Since Joining the Dodgers, Rickey Nolasco is 7-1 with a 2.25 ERA (1.65 at Dodger Stadium).  He has proven to be an excellent addition to the Dodgers rotation.  In fact, it could be argued that he is the Dodgers #3 ahead of Ryu.

That is terrible news!

Why, because other teams are going to try and sign him to a big dollar deal… and whether you want to believe it or not, the Dodgers will not have a $300 million dollar payroll next year.  I can see someone giving Nolasco a $60-$70 million dollar deal.  Should it be the Dodgers?

With Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu and Nolasco, the Dodgers have one of the best (IF NOT THE BEST) Top 4 starting rotations in baseball.  Next year, they can pick from Fife, Stripling, Lee, Billingsley and Beckett for the #5 spot, but here’s the big question:  Will the Dodgers be able to afford Nolasco after extending Clayton and Hanley?

While we are at it, what if Volquez pitches well today?  Ned has made some outstanding moves lately.

I for one am sorry that I maligned you, Ned!  Peace out!

RO-Sale-FreeUpgrade

39 Responses to “What Nolasco is doing is bad!”

It’s always about NOW. Nolasco is doing what we brought him here to do – help us win a championship. If he can turn that into a multi year multi million dollar deal – then good for him. Here? Maybe. But if we can’t afford him, we just turn the corner and do it all over again come July of next year.

“I for one am sorry that I maligned you, Ned!”

Really? So…. you have changed your mind on “The Trade”. Good for you. Flip flop? Yeah sure, but, in this case it’s absolutely ok. We in here are generous sorts…… you are forgiven.

2. SpokaneBob says:

I find myself expecting that the Dodgers are going to win EVERY game. I believe that the team goes into every game expecting to win. We are in a great spot, give Kemp and Puig the time they need to be healthy and rest everyone who needs it. We can use the last 2 weeks of September to hit our stride before the playoffs. I believe that we can achieve the best record and provide rest to key players.

3. Gionfriddo says:

Ned getting maligned. Funny stuff there..how about the constant maligning of Carl Crawford done in here. I believe it’s time for some overweight pics of Crawford to pop up in here.
    Did we get the ’10 version of Crawford? Did we get the 4 time AL stolen base champ or the 4 time AL triples leader? ALL are emphatic NO’s… however, what we finally did get was a solid leadoff guy (.295 avg..350 OBP)….

Well said friddo.

I agree we have the luxury of letting some of the guys heal up and still have a shot at home field. We won with the B team yesterday. Volquez going today, who knows, maybe he gets to turn around that 8 point something ERA in Denver.

Was just perusing the stats over at fangraphs and was blown away that Ethier has a higher WAR than does Adrian Gonzalez. No other Dodgers even on the list. Amazing.

• Larry says:

Crawford is probably the most overpaid player in baseball this side of Alex Rodriguez and he only plays about 70% of the games, so is he really a solid guy? If you think he is, your standards are pretty low. Let me ask you another question – do you think he’s going to get better as he ages? I live near Pawtucket and saw him twice in 2011 and he was considerably heavier than he is now. I’d say he is 25-30 pounds lighter. I will say this in his defense – he is a nice guy – he took time to sign an autograph and was very polite, but I think the Dodgers got shafted in the deal.

Nolasco is not the only fish in the sea. There will probably be other good free agent pitchers available, and who knows what’s coming out of Japan, etc., etc., etc. And of course, there are trades, and maybe we sign that 27 year old Cuban whose name I can’t remember (NOT the guy that signed with the Philllies). And one other thing. Nolasco has been hot since he got to the Dodgers, probably better than he’s ever been, and maybe better than he will ever be. How many times have we seen players signed to expensive multi-year deals based on what they did down the stretch, or even just in the playoffs? Nolasco historically is a solid mid-rotation guy. What makes anyone think he will be any more than that next year. Personally, I’m not going to get carried away by what he’s done in the second half. Maybe he’s turned a huge corner in his career, or more likely it’s just a mirage. Let’s ride it as far as we can this season, but let’s not expect it’s what he would give us all of next year.

So no, I do not see what Nolasco is doing as being bad, unless he doesn’t do it come the postseason. If he signs somewhere else next year, so be it. Like I said, there are other fish in the sea. Probably some very good ones.

For me, the most important issue for the Dodgers over this winter is to strengthen the offense. Doing so is probably a combination of getting all of our current players healthy and filling holes. We have a solid threesome at the top of our rotation in Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu, and other options, be they from within or acquisitions from without. And it doesn’t hurt that Billingsley may also contribute. I have confidence that our ownership and baseball management are perfectly capable addressing needs.

5. Leroy says:

Don’t forget about adding Skip to the 5th spot competition.

Good point Leroy. And maybe we boost offense next year by having Greinke play 2B between starts.

I can see Ricky taking a hometown discount. I believe he has never been happier and is pitching at home for a dynasty in the making. Ned should try to sign him for 2 with an option before he hits FA.
    The one positive of Volquezs start tonight is his name isn’t Capuano. Maybe he got a dose of the magic dust that most everyone else has.

8. Pete M. says:

Was thinking about going over to Rancho tonite and checking out Quakes and Matt Kemp. After some investigation found out he’s at Camelback. Things arent going too well and I’ve got to start thinking he may not be in our playoff plans.. Matty, prove me wrong, please prove me wrong big guy…
    I think Zack Lee will be in the thick of things for the #5 spot next ST along with Beckett and Bills if he is ready to compete…
    I think the LAD will offer Nolasco a # 4 deal and he’ll stay. A guy can be an optimistic, Right???

9. Jae says:

Everything I have read in this comment thread is delusional, like one big circle jerk.

That’s why I’m not even in the Theatre on this one.

Huh?

Hey, a Red Sox fan. Sure Crawford is overpaid. Who cares?

I don’t see Lee in the rotation any time soon. I see him as a trade chip. That might change if Beckett and Bills don’t make it back. I expect both to recover and if they do they are better than Lee.

12. Bball says:

With Donnie resting players and a huge lead y not activate kemp and let him figure things out in the big leagues. What harm could it do. I no he’s not ready but I would think he could figure things out quicker facing big league pitching. Just a thought

Two innings and Colorado has already hit for the cycle.

See your point Bball but if Kemp can’t hit A league pitching he is an easy out at the big league level. I read he had a pretty good live session today. He may be back by next week.

He’s not exactly making a case for himself tonight, but I can see why the Dodgers signed Volquez. There apparently is nothing wrong with his arm. Don’t know how this will turn out, but most likely he’s a project, and it probably won’t be until next year until we know anything.

15. Bball says:

Volquez looks like he has good stuff maybe just can’t locate or it could be his own Colorado curse. I would definetly give him another start or two to see if he is worth looking at. On another note I just have to say in so proud of this team. The old timers on this site, Badger, roger, mark and others have seen great dodger teams. I have 08 and 09 as the high times of my dodger rooting career, I sure hope that changes this year.

Amazingly Volquez’ ERA is actually going up.

Hold on to your fedora Bball, the Dodgers are back and I believe they are back to stay.

I think I would leave him in for 100 pitches and see what happens. I see no reason to stress the pen at this time.

17. Bball says:

Badger, I know, that’s y I’m smiling from ear to ear right now. I truly don’t see an end to this. This great

Bball, I know how you feel, even though I’ve seen EVERY Dodger championship, going back to Brooklyn when they won their first at around my 9th birthday in October 1955. But 25 years since the last one is too long, MUCH TOO LONG. And I thought waiting 16 years between 1965 and 1981 was a long time.

And Badger is right. The Dodgers “are back to stay.”

19. Quasimodo says:

And League to the rescue. When is enough enough?

20. Bball says:

Ya Brooklyn what a thrill those championships must have been. I can only imagine. I was only a year old in 88. If I remembered that I would be some sort of Einstein and I’m no Einstein.

Just noticed FedX’s avg. is higher than Ellis’. Dang. I would have got that one wrong on the quiz.

Volquez gone after 75 pitches. Maybe that was his limit.

In ’88 I turned 40. Good to know a couple of people in here are older than me. The old guys have only waited 25 years. Bball has waited his whole life. And that is much longer.

This year’s for you Bball.

22. Quasimodo says:

Long game just got a little quicker. WAKE UP all!!

Bball,

I’ll trade places with you. You get the thrill, and I get back 41 years. Nice trade from my point of view.

Newtons law says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Stranger things have happened and while I’m reasonably confident that we won’t blow it, I’ll hold off on the victory parade until we actually accomplish something.
    36 in 88 and a quarter of a century is a long,long time.

The West has turned very pedestrian. Not sure why. I figured it would be a dog fight, and I guess technically it could still turn into one, but it would take a seriously bad run by the Dodgers for that to happen. I don’t see it. The dbacks suddenly look like a .500 club, and nobody else is going to challenge. It is possible that the team would go into cruise control on it’s way to post season, and that could be either great or catastrophic. We need everyone healthy to go the distance, and we need everyone sharp at the same time. It would appear that Donnie is giving the every day guys some needed time off and throwing an extra starter in now amounts to what is almost a 6 man rotation, which is what I think should be done. We brought up Moylan and Fife for a reason. I suspect each will get a shot somewhere in the next few weeks.

I think Mattingly knows what he is doing. He has been through it all before.

26. Pete M. says:

Damn Bball, just a baby… I was 42 in 88…Oh well, this could be me and Vin’s year…Fingers crossed…
    Volquez not to shabby…Ball had zip, but no address…We all know what ML players due with velocity with no movement or location… Just another piece for Camelback 2014…
    Marmol’s first hiccup in a longtime…He’ll be fine…
    Welcome Mike Young…

There will be no play-off games a mile high. We must ignore any numbers out of Albuquerqueand we should just forget what happens in Denver. I think I would pay more attention to what happens at sea level.

Hey, check out all the Dodgers on the All Prospect All Star team……..

29. Bobbie17 says:

Paco is losing his edge by not pitching as much. Are they trying to protect his arm? Maybe a good idea, but right now the bullpen is weaker for it. I hope adding Wilson doesn’t screw things up in the long run. Right now I’m not sure I trust the bullpen to hold a lead in the 6th.

So much for home field advantage.

And if we should happen to face the Braves, let’s not forget that they too have a very large lead, and are probably resting players.

“I think I would pay more attention to what happens at sea level.” –Badger. So would I. Nice to be out of the house of horrors for another year.

“Paco is losing his edge by not pitching as much. Are they trying to protect his arm?” — B17

Fri, 8/30 – Paco in game – throws 2 pitches
    Sat, 8/31 – No Paco
    Sun, 9/1 – Paco in game – throws 8 pitches
    Mon, 9/2 – No Paco
    Tue, 9/3 – Paco in game – throws 11 pitches
    Wed, 9/4 – Paco in game – throws 7 pitches

Paco has been in 4 of the last 6 games, missing on 8/31 and 9/2. Doesn’t seem to me that they’re trying to protect his arm.

Pete, it appears to me that we’re both first year baby boomers.

I read that too Brooklyn.

My feeling is simply this, if Kershaw and Greinke are on, we win.

I doubt our offense will blow anybody out so I anticipate close, low scoring games. I believe we have shown we can win those – at home OR on the road.

32. jerry says:

about Volquez , if your going to pitche him ..give him a team behind him…i figured we would lose before we started with that line up, i think one regular..

What’s best for the team takes precedence over what’s best for Volquez. Playing in the Coors house of horrors messes not only with the pitchers, but the hitters as well. That place puts hitters in slumps after they leave it, so it’s the last place our regulars needed to be playing. Best place to give our hitters a little time off. Donnie is getting our regulars ready for the postseason, of which Volquez will almost certainly not be a part. As Pete M. noted, he’s “Just another piece for Camelback 2014…” Wins and losses are not critical for Volquez now. He’s got bigger issues with command, etc., and he knows it. He may not even have a role with the Dodgers next year. That will depend to a large degree on what the Dodgers do over the winter, the overall health of their pitching staff, and whether or not Volquez makes enough progress between now and the start of next season.

I hope it all turns out well for Volquez and the Dodgers, but that remains to be seen. Right now, winning a championship is job one.

Who would have thought, in the last game –

Donnie used 5 pinch-hitters.

Gonzales – strikes out
    Ethier – flies out
    Crawford – strikes out
    Puig – strikes out

But — Federowicz – gets a single.

Who would have thought . . .

35. Bball says:

Looking at the playoff picture right now if the season ended we would play the pirates in the division series since the winner of the wild card faces the team with the best record (Atlanta). Thinking about it I hope the pirates win the division and were have the second best record in the league. I would much rather face an inexperienced pirate team with mediocre pitching then the reds or cardinals who have some playoff experience. Right or am I wronge

36. Watford Dodger says:

Absolutely right Bball – was thinking exactly the same thing myself. Let the Reds & Cards sort each other out. Also further down the line hope the Red Sox don’t win the AL – Texas would be good.

I don’t really have a favorite as to who we face, since as far as I’m concerned the playoffs are a crapshoot. Often just depends on which team is clicking the best. Also, I heard that Allen Craig is hurt, and will be out for a while. Not sure if that extends to the playoffs, but if it does, it could adversely affect the Cardinals.

But like I said, it’s a crapshoot. Just hope the Dodgers are playing at the top of their game, and that Kemp somehow puts it all together between now and the postseason.