Rants and Raves

• Clayton Kershaw has an ERA over 5.00 at Coors, so yesterday’s game was hardly a surprise, however the mental aspect of the game could be weighing on him as much as the fact he has pitched 209 innings already.  7 games he should have won that the Dodgers lost.  That’s a toll.  Compare that to Zach Greinke who has 148.2 innings and looks fresher… because he is, due to his DL stint.  Ryu has a 3.02 ERA, Greinke is at 2.78 while Nalsco is at 2.20 as a Dodger, but then there is the “otherworldly one” at 1.89.  There’s no argument that Clayton is the best in baseball and when he has a blip, we flip.  He will get six days rest before his next start.  That’s a good thing.   With any luck I’ll be at that game in Cincy!
  • Wednesday’s game should be interesting if the Dodgers can score about 20 runs because Edison Volquez has a 14.92 ERA at Coors this year.  Yikes!
  • Andre Either is suddenly becoming relevant again.  No rush for Kemp to be back, but I think we will see him this Weekend in Cincy.
  • AJ Ellis looks lost… but Carl Crawford is smoking hot.
  • Busy day.  Go Dodgers

covered-by

29 Responses to “Rants and Raves”

1. Rob says:

We need to secure the best record in the NL because Atlantas home field record is extremely good.

Agree

3. Watford Dodger says:

Mark you are right about Coors Field being a pitchers graveyard. However although we won the game I had an uneasy feeling afterwards as it was his second unkershawlike performance in a row. I think he’s tired but not the sort of guy to firstly admit it and secondly want to change his regular patterns. I think Donnie needs to have a good think about how to handle him over the next month. He won’t want to let up but I think Donnie needs to manage it. Remember last year and the ‘impinged hip’ towards the end of the season? You are so right about him being our number one – not only that he is the leader of our pitching staff and we need him at his best. Also leave Puig out for as long as necessary – we need him fit.
    Rob you are right – these remaining games could make the difference come the post season but as we all know usually it comes down to momentum at that stage.
    Lets face it things are looking good – but would be a huge shot in the arm to get Kemp back hitting.

Kershaw might need a mini vacation. Let him take a week off and go fishing.

Got a feeling about Kemp so I consulted some tea leaves. He won’t be the MVP
    Kemp any time soon. He should be able to wake up from a coma and pound A ball pitching and he is having trouble getting the ball out of the infield. He and several generations of his family are set for life so he doesn’t have to get the ball out of the infield. We are about to see if this guy has the heart needed to be All Pro again.

I am fine with the JVs for several days this month. I would also try League in a save situation. Might as well see how he responds. We know what others can do. Rest them too. It is time to at least start planning for the play-offs.

Kershaw does look tired. I have heard rumors of a 6 man rotation to give the arms a break. When Kershaw is “bad” he is still pretty good. But we need 100% of Kershaw in October. Even Ryu looks like he could use an extra day…

I have figured out how to keep Puig healthy! Don’t let him slide anymore. Just bowl over the opposing player, it’s probably safer. I mean have you seen this guy slide? It’s awful. He doesn’t know how to do it. Where is that waterless slip and slide they use in spring training? Get that thing out before the games and have Lopes and a 10 year old show this guy how to slide feet first!

Ethier looks great, he could probably use a day off but he like Gonzo are slow and steady. No flash but solid every single day.

Fun times

6. Pete M. says:

Good but scary idea with League…
    I dread watching a game in Co. I constantly wonder how many pitchers I’ll have to march out.
    Mr. Puig should show up early to Camelback this coming Spring. He’s gotta lot time spent hopefully in Maury’s sliding pit and school of stealing and bunting… I cringe everytime he runs the bases…

7. Hawkeyedodger says:

I’d like to see more FedEx. I’d catch him 40 % of games.

8. jerry says:

feDx catches better then A J but AJ HITS BETTER,

9. Pete M. says:

Hawkeye…That alot O’fers youre looking at…I think we will see Butera in there today… AJ Ellis is looking tired… Alot of people dis him for his lack of blocking the plate, but have seen a typical game of Kersh and some others when that curve or ?? ends up in the dirt with the hitter muttering “what the hell was that’??? The defense rests…

10. Idaho al says:

I agree Kershaw needs a rest. The six man rotations sounds good to me. Then after they pitch 5 or 6 innings take them out. I am not sure about putting League in the closer roll. I have seen enough of him to leave him off the play off roster. AJ is a good catcher. He handles the pitching staff very well and that is more than enough for me. What ever he hits is a bonus. I may bat him 8th to take some pressure off of him. Move Uribe up to 6th.

11. Quasimodo says:

Goddamn Coors Field! That place ripped off the energy, as usual. Made work out of what was Dodgers having fun. I’d like to see all the key players rested the next two games and I’d also send them to Cincinnati today. It’d be a good opportunity to play the add-on’s today and tomorrow while the key’s go poolside at a decent baseball altitude and recharge their batteries there.

Who would have ever thought . . .

Coors Field . . . Denver . . . a mile high . . .

The Dodgers would win == when the Rockies would get 18 hits with 5 doubles and 1 HR — and Kershaw would start and give up 11 of those hits in only 5 innings.

Also noted: Cuddyer and LeMahieu both left 6 runners each = total 12. That could have been a major difference. But both of those guys had 2 hits each . . . scary.

It’s September, we have a huge lead. If its me, I look all the irregulars right in the eye and tell them “the stage will be yours – show us what you got”. You never know. Somebody just might step up.

So this is the time to play Fedex 3 or 4 days a week.

Get Michael Young in there every other day or so. Needs to get this timing down with the other infielders.

Stop using Jansen so much. Work in some of the other pen arms.

I get it.

Yep. I give Gordon some innings too. Bench and bullpen. The deepest teams have a better shot.

I do realize even if some have excellent September’s they likely won’t be added for post season. But this could be a great time to show up and turn some heads.

Lots of people sitting tonight in the Coors Field “house of horrors” as Mike Petriello so aptly calls it.

Probably should do the same tomorrow. Let most of the regulars get some time off until we return to a real baseball field on Friday (although a small one).

And I absolutely agree with Roger. Kenley Jansen does not need to be worked the way he has recently. And he especially needs to take some time off in the house of horrors.

16. Quasimodo says:

You all might be 100% correct about Jansen. But for some reason I just find it hard to believe that working 1/2 an inning 3 or 4 days in a row is getting overworked. He probably equals that getting warmed up. I’ve never pitched so I know nothing. But any which way I fail to see the heavy workload.

17. Quasimodo says:

Job well done keeping Rockies down to 4 runs, seeings how they saved their top bats for tonight.

Wow this Nolasco deal is making Ned look like a genius!!

What a great acquisition.

Agree with Badger about pitching everyday. Throwing is a whole other thing. Pitching in a game is a lot more stressful than throwing on the sidelines or in the bullpen. I think Kenley is more effective when he gets regular work, but that’s not the same as pitching everyday. He needs to be used regularly to keep his sharpness, just not be worn out by pitching everyday.

Magic Number 12

21. Quasimodo says:

Magic # 12. 13.5 buffer. .500 from here still equals 95 wins. 17 of 24 = 100. Dodgers are the most feared team in baseball!

I get confused reading in here some days. Do we want the best record in the NL or do we want a rested squad for the playoffs? Because It’s not possible to do both at the same time. Playing the subs could lead to a three or four seat in the playoffs. The other divisons are still fighting for the playoffs. Do you lose some edge by getting too much rest? I would agree that some of the pitching needs rest. Kemp needs to come up and start getting his timing back. Who ever was saying Crawford was a boat anchor needs glasses. Nick Punto has been amazing this year. Carry on………….

Good point Bill. Not saying send the regulars to Hawaii. Seems we have a pretty good bench, especially against those teams under .500. We got Young, give AGon a few days off this month. We brought up those starters, give them a start and push everyone back a few days. I think a lot of teams we play will be doing the same thing.

I guess the question is – do we want the best record or do we want our best players at 100%?

We’re a pretty good road team…

I think the Dodgers just do what’s best for them, and let the chips fall where they may. Regulars need a day here and there, and subs need work to be at their optimal come the playoffs. There’s no magic formula. Donnie just has to use common sense, and hope that it works. Fact is, the team that wins in the playoffs is generally the one that’s playing the best baseball at the time. How you get there is anyone’s guess.

Agree that getting Kemp at bats is important.

Personally, I have no problem going to ATL for Games 1 and 2 with our staff. Kersh and Greinke for 2 games there? I’ll take it.

Even if it’s Greinke and Ryu, because of a longer NLDS, I’ll take it. That means Kersh in a Game 3 in LA. Done.

26. DodgerDude says:

Crawford is a boat anchor.