Playoff roster

It’s premature, of course, but I’m going to take a stab at the playoff roster.  Of course, the following position players HAVE to be on it (barring injury) because they are starters:

1. AJ Ellis
  2. Adrian Gonzalez
  3. Mark Ellis
  4. Hanley Ramirez
  5. Juan Uribe
  6. Carl Crawford
  7. Matt Kemp
  8. Andre Ethier
  9. Yasiel Puig

Then, there are also a few pitchers that will, without question, be on the roster:

1. Clayton Kershaw
  2. Zach Greinke
  3. Ricky Nolasco
  4. Hyun-Jin Ryu
  5. JP Howell
  6. Ronald Belisario
  7. Paco Rodriguez
  8. Chris Withrow
  9. Kenley Jansen

That is 18 players, which leaves 7 spots left.  One of those spots has to be a catcher, so Fed-Ex makes it.   I call him Fed-Ex because I can spell Federowicz.  Michael Young has to be on it, as do Skip Schumaker, Nick Punto and Jerry Hairston, Jr.  That means that Scott Van Slyke won’t make it (his power off the bench would be nice, but there’s no room), and neither will Dee Gordon, who could be an excellent pinch runner.

That leaves openings for two pitchers and I’m not sure 11 is enough.  If Donnie and Ned decide they need 12 pitchers, Jerry Hairston, Jr. is likely the odd-man-out.   There’s no room for Brandon League on the roster and deservedly so.  Chris Capuano and Stephen Fife won’t be needed and Carlos Marmol just is not ready to be trusted.  The final two spots go to Edinson Volquez and Brian Wilson.  I am assuming that Volquez will make another appearance or two and do well.  That may be a big leap of faith, but I see Volquez as being a nice piece throwing 95 MPH strikes out of the pen.  Marmol throws too many pitches that aren’t strikes.

Of course, if Volquez gets bombed in his next outing, all bets are off on him.   It will be interesting to see the final playoff roster…

NewWebSite

22 Responses to “Playoff roster”

1. Jason says:

Can the Dodgers win when the Braves lose?
    Geeeeeeeeeze.

2 out of 3, I\’ll take!

3. Yo! Adrian says:

If Kemp is back 100%, there is no doubt. If not, Van Slyke will fill in for him. And if there is one more spot, I will choose Dee Gordon over Jerry Hairston.
    For the arms, 11th selection is only controversial. I’ll choose Volquez over Capuano, but we need to see the rest of the season.
    Here is my choices;

1.AJ Ellis 2.Adrian Gonzalez 3.Mark Ellis 4.Hanley Ramirez
    5.Juan Uribe 6.Carl Crawford 7.Matt Kemp 8.Andre Ethier
    9.Yasiel Puig 10. Tim Federowicz 11. Nick Punto 12. M.Young
    13. Scott Van Slyke 14. Skip Schumaker (14 hitters)

1.Clayton Kershaw 2.Zach Greinke 3.Ricky Nolasco 4.Hyun-Jin Ryu
    5.JP Howell 6.Ronald Belisario 7.Paco Rodriguez 8.Chris Withrow
    9.Kenley Jansen 10.Brian Wilson 11.Edinson Volquez (11 pitchers)

4. Yo! Adrian says:

2. Tigers over Athletics
    * ALCS
    RedSox over Tigers
    * WS
    Dodgers over RedSox in game 7

5. Jason says:

The Cardinals scare me! !!

Print the tickets and engrave the trophy!

I think for a best of 5 series, we only need the 4 starters.

The rest of the pen arms should be pen arms, not some #5 types who can possibly give us 3 innings. I don’t think we’ll need that, with the days off, etc. The pen guys should be guys that can handle that 1 inning.

I do like the idea of Dee being the late inning pinch runner. A lot, actually.

I also like having SVS’ power off the bench of Kemp isn’t ready.

I also like how my Bears are 1-0 and my Fresno St Bulldogs are 2-0

8. Bobbie17 says:

Forget the playoffs. This weekend is the chance to put the Giants in their proper place. A sweep is in order. I love the Giants last. Not enough complaining, yet, in the Bay Area. Let’s give them something to complain about. I hope we go all out to beat these guys.

I could care less about putting the midgets in their proper place, or whatever. I’m most concerned that the Dodgers will be at the top of their game come playoff time, and nothing else. I can still remember 2006 when the Dodgers won their last 7 regular season games, and 9 of their last 10, only to be swept by the Mets when it really counted in the playoffs. I can still see Jeff Kent and J.D. Drew getting doubled up at home plate following Russell Martin’s hit over the right fielder’s head.

I don’t care about the midgets. In fact, other than the games against the Dodgers, I hope they win every remaining game this season. I want their first draft pick to be as low as possible. There is nothing worse than rooting AGAINST something. I prefer to just root FOR the Dodgers. Whatever anyone else does is irrelevant as long as the Dodgers WIN.

I’d like to see Dee Gordon’s speed on the bench in the playoffs. However, I don’t have the time right now to consider all the variables.

Regarding Dee Gordon, I am intrigued by what I read earlier this week concerning his ability to play 2nd base and in the outfield. I would think that he could be considered for a super-sub utility role next year, filling in around the infield and outfield, and being both a bat and runner off the bench. Might be just what he needs to get a foothold in the big leagues, and an extra edge for the Dodgers. Certainly something to think about.

10. Quasimodo says:

There has been a rhythm the way the plate is approached that I’d like to see tinkered with during the experiment games. Things like M. Ellis maybe considering swinging at the 1st pitch. Its not his M/O and pitchers are taking advantage of that. Also Crawford is getting in 0-2 counts too much. Maybe I’m wrong and tinkering would create unforeseeable problems but I’m noticing some bad habits in the lineup. I think it was game 2 of the season when Bumgarner was throwing over 75% for strikes and painfully Dodgers were not swinging. I didn’t get it. How many outs does it take for word to spread around the dugout? That day it took 27.

We have been through this a million times this season — but the Dodgers have
    too many players alike. Yet, something can be said for the folks who brought
    you to the dance . . . dance with them.

But: Pinto, Hairston, Schumaker are nice backup, fill in players.

Van Slyke is nice power off the bench and 1B and outfield.

Michael Young needs to be on the roster — because I have faith in him as a pro.

I too like Gordon on the bench. He seems to have learned to bunt, and his pure speed.

Glad I do not have to make the choice. But in short series, maybe too many pitchers is a waste.

12. Quasimodo says:

Ron Cervenka wrote a pretty cool story ‘Vin Scully receives respect from unlikely source’ @ Think Blue L.A. It made me think how Vin is a family member to probably more family’s than anybody.

13. As long as League is nowhere near the playoff roster I can live with almost anything else

14. Quasimodo says:

Hey Scott, are you in the press box Saturday? Anyways, sorry that Sat. can’t clinch. It would take outside help for Dodgers to tie NL lead Sat.

I tried to take the high road with Brooklyn but no can do. First to worst just feels too good for I’m shallow that way.

As you all know I am a first ball fastball dead red proponent. If they tube a straight one to get ahead I believe in punishing that pitch. They will try that once and after that go for corners.

I like Gordon on the bench idea. If he can get on 1/3 of the time he would be a huge asset.

I give League another chance but he and Marmol are on a short leash.

Denver sucking big time. Won’t stop raining.

If the $8.5 billion for the Dodgers TV deal mentioned in the above article is correct, and the deal is for 25 years, that works out to an average of $340 million per year. That’s higher than the $7-8 billion I’ve heard before. Who knows what it is, but it is a lot of money. Maybe in 10 years it will seem paltry if these things get bigger and bigger, but right now it seems awfully large. And throw in the increasing attendance, merchandise sales, and whatever, and it seems to me as if the Dodgers are in pretty good shape going forward. I suspect that these guys really do have a long term plan, and really do know what they’re doing. But who knows? Maybe there are terrible things we don’t know about that will ultimately surface. And maybe not.

For now, I’m optimistic, but fully realize that nothing is ever guaranteed, and that bumps in the road (even sinkholes) are always a possibility. But those uncertainties existed before the Dodgers changed hands. Murphy is always lurking.

If things continue as they have, I fully expect the Dodgers to go over the 4 million mark next year. They probably would have done so this year if it hadn’t been for that 30-42 start.

That’s how I have seen it since the purchase Brooklyn. These guys are world class money managers, not rich kid parking lot owners. (Isn’t it interesting McLugnuts is left holding the parking lots)

Just keep winning and I too see 4 million.

Confidence. It’s very sexy – don’t you think?

The Pirates are really something. And Martin is front and center.

Forget the brooms, lets break out the shovels and bury their nose in it.
    GO DODGERS!!!!

Time to get Kenley some rest. This is his 70th appearance, and it shows. Looks to me as if his cutter isn’t cutting.

21. Watford Dodger says:

Lets hope Hanley is only precautionary. Cannot win without him.