LF Platoon?

Donnie, Davey Lopes and even Clayton Kershaw seem to like Andre Ethier in CF better than Matt Kemp.  Could it be there will be a platoon in LF with Kemp and Crawford?  I can’t see Mattingly putting Puig and his arm in LF.  On the other hand, I suspect Kemp will play CF against tough LH pitchers.  If he could just hit lefties better…

Matt Kemp is almost 30.  It’s time for him to just steal a few bases a year and not play with reckless abandon so that he can stay in the lineup.  I do expect him to be a BIG factor in the playoffs.

I have read a lot of dialogue about how badly Edison Volquez pitched Wednesday.  Let me remind you that it was in Coors and I actually thought he pitched pretty good.  You don’t get much movement on your pitches in Coors.  The guy has good stuff, and he has always been full of potential.  Maybe Honeycutt can tap it.  I’d try and sign him over the winter.  He could be an excellent #5.

P.S. I cannot understand why people were so worked up about Ned getting Michael Young.  How can it hurt getting a professional hitter like that.  Silly stat nerds!

Labor-Day-12

26 Responses to “LF Platoon?”

I agree with you about Micheal Young. He’s a solid pickup for the playoffs. I see a rotation in the outfield but I don’t see Kemp playing LF. Matt needs to start getting his timing down for the playoffs. I can see Kemp and Puig against Lefty’s and Crawford and Ethier against Righty’s. The juries still out on Edison for me. I want to see him pitch again before jumping to any conclusions.

2. Idaho al says:

Bill, I agree with everything you say. There is no down side to the Young deal. Edison needs another start. Coors field is not the place to make a decision on any pitcher. Good article Mark.

Yeah, Ned will probably sign him to a 3 year deal. Seriously if we give him another start I’d give him a go against the little sisters to the south, to see if he can stick to his old mates.
    No prob with Young, he can play any IF position but I never expected him to sit comfortably and I’ll hold cross my fingers on that one.
    Don’t think Matts going to accept a perceived demotion to LF, RF sure but not left. Can Yasi play 3rd?

Makes sense on paper Mark. With some good fortune, we will have four starting outfielders, and two of them are left handed hitters. I don’t know how that scenario balances out over a 5 or 7 game series, but an imaginative manager could make it work and keep all four of them involved.

The Young deal makes sense. I see no argument against it that holds water.

I agree about Volquez. Give Honeycutt some time with him and who knows. Like Marmol, the guy is another great arm and pitching is what we know.

It would appear that the teams in the Central are beating up on each other as all of the leaders are around .500 over their last 10. If we can just keep winning at .600 we could begin the post season at home against the Pirates. I’ll take that. Atlanta holds the overall lead and have been playing well (8-2). It’s still up for grabs of course, lots of games left, so, it’s going to be interesting.

Hope Ryu and Kershaw are feeling good. With the added arms, I think I would like to see the 3 post season starters held to 100 pitches or less the rest of the way. Is that possible?

5. Bobbie17 says:

No time to let up. Playoff type series starts today. Reds are playing well. I think today, we will have to hit. I think Young has life left, this year and for a few more. I hope he is a ST next year.

Young is a big upgrade for a supersub infielder on this team — over all the others.

And, as a pinch-hitter, he will give the other team (and manager) something to think about. A professional hitter and player.

Be glad Ned got him.

Agree about Young and Volquez, which I believe I’ve expressed before. And if Volquez finds a future with the Dodgers, we’ve all got to remember the “n” in Edinson (SMILE).

Playing just part time, Young could be a valuable piece, especially come the postseason. And Volquez showed us that there is apparently nothing wrong with his arm, and that he deserves a long look from the Dodgers. And I wouldn’t just base it on what he does this year. Being from the Dominican Republic it’s very likely he’ll pitch winter ball, and could be seriously looked at in ST. As with anything, a lot will probably be determined by other moves the Dodgers make with respect to the pitching staff between now and next year.

If Matt Kemp is physically OK, can find his timing, and is hitting by the time the playoffs roll around, there is no way I would have him platooning with anyone. I could see him playing LF when Ethier is in the lineup, and CF against tough lefties that are a problem for Ethier. However, if Kemp is having problems with tough right handers he could be a platoon candidate.

As for Kemp being a BIG factor in the playoffs, I just HOPE he is. I don’t expect anything.

Matt would be icing on the cake but like Brooklyn, I don’t expect much with how his year has gone.

The preeminent Dodger authority in the greater lakes area should get his credentials for Sunday nights game. I’ll expect to see you in the stands Mark.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Michael,

I want to go Sunday night and I even talked to Tony Jackson about hooking up in the afternoon, but my foot may stop me.

The Reds are one of the few teams that won\’t give me press passes. Screw them, I\’d rather take the family.

It\’s a game time decision

9. Quasimodo says:

My two cents don’t add up to much more than two cents today. Just really looking forward to tonight’s game. The spotlight sure seems to shine on the talents of Mr. Honeycutt. These throw-away pitchers that were dejected elsewhere and landed on Dodgers probably are very enthusiastic for Honey’s help. Just might turn out great. Can’t ever get too much energy.

More bad Matt Kemp news.

At this point I’m not expecting anything.

Disappointing, but not surprising. One has to wonder if he will ever have another MVP season. I don’t think we need him. Just line up the pitching and find a way to score 4 and we have a shot at winning this thing.

I agree Badger. But having a productive Kemp would certainly add an extra dimension. It will likely be important for Crawford and Ethier to step up in the postseason.

Also, an extra bat could be very important if the Dodgers find themselves in the WS, where we would need a DH when in the AL park.

He doesn’t have much time. It has been one thing after another all year. Frankly this setback should tell the team what they need to know – don’t count on Matt Kemp.

And assuming that Kemp doesn’t return this year, what should the Dodgers be thinking this winter? It would seem that any talk of trading Ethier/Crawford should be tabled unless the Dodgers are contemplating the signing of a free agent outfielder (Jacoby Ellsbury???), or making a trade for one (Giancarlo Stanton????????).

What happened to Cap?

With the massive investment the team has in Kemp, they might consider shutting him down. I know I would.

So the Dodgers were blowin’ away by a better team, tonight.

I saw this as a throw away game with Cap. starting.

But Hanley does need some help, by some of the other players on this team.

And against the Reds, you cannot wait till the 9th inning to come back.

16. Wake up la says:

…and chapman mows our best hitters down.

7 pitchers used and they only gave up 3 runs. I’d say that was a damn fine performance by the pen. If we could have the scratched the 4 I was talking about earlier…..

We’ll get ‘em tomorrow n

18. jerry says:

well that what you get for sitting all the regular ..so now there timing is off..i dont mind sitting one are two ..but tonight game ownly hanley did any hitting..

19. jerry says:

i heard kemp pulled a ham string again..he might be done for the yr,

20. Quasimodo says:

Not at all on the Giants side of things, but that was some pitching by Petit. As Vin would say…”so close, and yet so far away”.

I was watching that too Quas. I like watching history, but was not at all disappointed in that outcome.

I suspect Fife is now on a very short leash. It feels like instead of a 6 man rotation we have gone to a 4 man rotation. Who steps in here?

22. Pete M. says:

I gotta look at the positives from yesterday and that was the bullpen… If he ever thought it was time to cross the forearms in the X move, Mr. Wilson, last night was it… Withrow pure gas and a sneaky curve…
    I guess I gotta give kudos to HanRam’s rocket launch…Shades of Scheff…
    Last but not least, Mothers, don’t don’t let your boys grew up to face Aroldis C. in the 9th… That old cliche ‘Radio Ball’ comes to mind!!!

15.5 SO/9 – yeah, he’s pretty not too bad. The key to beating the Reds is to have the lead late. I guess that would be the key to beating anybody wouldn’t it.

Agree about the pen’s performance. I’ll say it again, we win with pitching. This lineup, and our bench, doesn’t really scare the good staffs. And we will see good pitching in the playoffs.

24. Depass says:

Appealing a part of content. I just now became aware of your web site and accession cash to say i always receive the fact is adored bill ones blog page threads. In any case We are checking as part of your add to or even My spouse and i success you have perfect of having access to continuously promptly.