Keep calm and forget about it

The Dodgers are going through a rough stretch and it was to be expected after such a hot streak.  Forgetaboutit!  Nothing to see here folks, move along.  Forgetaboutit!

If you wonder what is wrong with Clayton Kershaw, you aren’t paying attention.  There’s nothing wrong with him.  The Dude has a 1.94 ERA which is the lowest in his career, the lowest in baseball and lowest in the past eight years in all of baseball.  The Dodgers don’t score when Clayton pitches and he could easily have 10 more wins with some good support.  So don’t ask what is wrong with Clayton – Ask what is wrong with the Dodgers hitters.  That said, he’s on track to pitch more innings than ever, with fewer hits, fewer HR’s, fewer walks and the best WHIP since Randy Johnson in 2004.  Clayton may be a little mentally fatigued from the Dodgers’ lack of support, but he’s fine.  No one else in all of baseball is close.  Forgetaboutit!

Nalasco?  Bad night.  It happens to everyone not named Kershaw.  If you are going to lose, you might as well lose 19-3.  Forgetaboutit!

The Dodgers have clinched a playoff spot even if it’s not official and they are on cruise control.  Forgetabout it!

Get healthy.  Best record?  Forgetaboutit!

Personal update:

The last two months have been tough for me.  Here’s why:

• My wife started a new business in July and is opening another one next month, so I am the General Contractor on that.  www.Wyliepalooza.com
  • I just opened a local service business this month and acted as the General Contractor as we gutted and rebuilt a building.   www.WeFixBadWater.com.  Why am I doing that?  This business is for my brother and his family,  after some big corporation offers me stupid money for US Water Systems and I take it.  I have my brothers’ back!
  • I have had extensive dental work done.  Kind of down in the mouth.
  • I have been through Ultrasoulds, MRI’s, X-Rays, Blood Tests, Rhuemotoligists and regular doctors, and we still don’t know what is wrong with my foot, although it is getting better (maybe 50%).  I walked to the football game last night (my son’s team won 41-20).
  • I had a colonoscopy done two weeks ago and had 7 polyps removed.  I found out today they were benign.   Another one in 3 years.  I can hardly wait.
  • I had surgery last week to remove a non-cancerous lesion on my scalp by a plastic surgeon – 18 stitches.  It feels like a knitting needle is stuck in my head.
  • I have spent a quarter million dollars this year re-designing our main website (www.uswatersystems.com) and it goes live in two weeks which really makes me nervous.  Changing websites is dangerous business, but we had to.  It will put us light year ahead of anone else.
  • I write 2 other blogs at the above websites and a I also write all the scripts for our videos.
  • Osteoarthritis is kicking my butt.
  • Forgetaboutit!  This too shall pass!

On the good side:

• My good cholesterol is good and my bad cholesterol is good.
  • My blood pressure is low.
  • Zero plaque in my veins (CAT Scan).
  • 73 standing heart rate.
  • My daughter and her husband are having their 3rd child in the spring.
  • My 14 year-old son is playing tight end and middle linebacker for the Freshman team of Cardinal Ritter (#1 football team in 2A).
  • I am never bored.
  • Never forgetabout it!

But, sometimes I just don’t have the will or time to post.  I hope you understand.

NewWebSite

102 Responses to “Keep calm and forget about it”

1. Watford Dodger says:

Mark – you are busy but it doesn’t detract from this being the best Dodgers site by a mile. You have your life to lead so don’t worry a out it – we can find things to squabble about.
    Tonight looks like a night for B League to get some innings in.

2. Watford Dodger says:

Maybe that’s the problem – he’s not A League he’s B League.

3. Reggie says:

I can barely read what is here, let alone comment. Thanks but you don’t have to do it.

Still, I love this site.

4. the truth hurts says:

Sometimes its good to get 19 runs scored against you.

Mark, where do you get your ambition? Please pass the dish.

I’m from Brooklyn, where it’s “fuhgeddaboudit”. And I agree, this is just a rough patch which is not completely unexpected. But I am still concerned about the hitting, and the overall health of this team, because that rough patch could carry over into the playoffs. But it doesn’t have to, and as I’ve noted in the past, playing well at the end of the season doesn’t guarantee success in the postseason. It will be what it will be. Let us all just relax, and hope we get a long ride to a world championship.

Above all else Mark, take care of your health. As I’m sure you know, nothing else matters much if you don’t have that. Having said that, what I’m going to write next can’t be good for your health (or since you thrive on controversy, maybe it is).

I suggested in the previous thread that the Dodgers should consider upgrading shortstop, and that if they extend Hanley it should be with the understanding that he is best suited at this stage of his career to play 3B.

Of course, Mark, you shot that down (and I’m not going back to look at exactly what you said) by stating, I believe, that we would get the .255 Hanley if he were moved off short. Here’s why I disagree:

1. Hanley hit .300 in 2010 following his batting title in 2009.

2. In 2011, the year BEFORE the Reyes acquisition moved him to 3B, Hanley hit .243 with the Marlins, and also played in only 92 games. I believe that was the year he hurt his shoulder, and like Matt Kemp and also Adrian Gonazalez, had shoulder surgery that offseason.

3. In 2012, the season following his surgery, Hanley hit .246 with the Marlins and .271 with the Dodgers. That seems to follow the pattern of players with his shoulder surgery. It appears that they get off slowly the first year back, and begin to pick it up in the 2nd half of that year. It’s only in the 2nd year back after the surgery (2013 in Hanley’s case) that they begin to resemble more consistently the player they were pre-surgery.

So for me, the bad Hanley stuff just doesn’t register. Hanley, it appears, was happy playing in LA almost immediately after arriving from Miami in 2012, even though he was playing 3B. He was simply happy to get out of a dysfunctional situation in Miami, and happy to be in LA where he was appreciated for what he could contribute to a winning team, and where he was relieved of being the focus of attention.

For me, Hanley has picked it up this year not because he’s at short, but because his shoulder is simply healthier than it’s been for the last several years. And yes, he may prefer at present to play short, but overall I’m convinced he’s just happy to be in a winning situation, and where he’s appreciated. And I’m also certain, given his age, that maturity also plays a role. And part of that maturity probably involves a greater appreciation of what he has now, as opposed to the adversity he’s experienced in his recent past.

On this one Mark, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. Unless something absolutely definitive comes to light, you’re not going to change your mind, and I’m not going to change mine. In any case, I wish you and your family the best.

19 runs??? I had some things to do today, and being I live in the east, I turned off the game when it was 14-3. Guess I made the right decision to go to bed. In fact, I probably should have turned it off a little earlier.

I been busy too. Mark knows what is going on with us so I’ll just say that my wife’s son is in a lot of legal trouble here in Denver and we are dealing with it now. This will go on til next year, involves lawyers and money and serious jail time and we are under enormous stress over it.

I am concerned about the Dodgers but not worried yet. I still believe in a short series we have a great shot against anyone. I have said all year and will continue to say this is not a strong offensive club. It just isn’t and the stats prove that to be true. We can discuss what needs to be done in the off season but strength and conditioning is at the top of my list. We need everyone healthy to pull this off, and if Hanley isn’t 100%, and Puig doesn’t get the magic back, it could be a short post season. We need everybody, and that might include Kemp.

I have been trying to convince Mark for some time now to sell and devote his time to himself and his family but he won’t listen to me. He works way too hard and yeah, I know he says he loves his work, and I believe he does, but his health issues tells me he needs some down time. You deserve the “country club” life Mark. Do it while you still have the body to enjoy it. I am glad I hung it up when I did. Chasing your tail not only gets old, it makes you old.

19 runs against a terrible club like the midgets will happen. But I take Nolasco over Lincecum every night of the week. The rest of those guys that gone blown up are just not ready. There is a reason none of them show up on any top prospect list. They are not top prospects. None of them. Nor do I expect they ever will be.

OK, this is my last full day in Colorado and we have some things to wrap up. I’ll check in later. And yeah, I agree, this is still the best Dodger site and the reason is the people in here. There is more sharing of thoughts, and a much easier format to read here than the other places I visit. Information can be gathered anywhere but sharing it and discussing it is often not that easy. We have even seen the difficulty with that in here on occasion but fortunately the garden gets weeded every now and then.

8. Idaho al says:

Wow!!! Mark take care of yourself. Yes, this is a good Dodger team. We just need to get everybody healthy. There had to be a drop off somewhere and now we are in it. We are ok.

On Hanley. I believe he and his agent have looked at the calendar and realize that he is not 26 any longer. If he truly loves playing in L.A. and for the Dodgers and wants to be a part of it — he will move to 3B and could star there for years.

The Dodgers then either need to look for the best fielding SS at the right age — or — a hitting – fielding SS AND bring one of them in over the winter. That together move fixes both concerns. The Dodgers have no one ready in the minors to do this.

With the Cuban infielder signed (?) possibility at 2nd base — the team could be set. Other than catching. Who is a free-agent for 2014?

The next question is Kemp. Will he be ready for 2014 and will his body allow it!!! Or, is he really a broken player who will be on and off the D.L. most of the rest of his major league life?

Last night, I do not think he was ready to pitch. Too hittable. The game really did not matter in the pennant race.

Roger,

This is from “MLB Rumors” above.

Appears that both McCann and Saltalamacchia (did I just spell that?) will be the free agent catchers available.

11. Pete M. says:

Badger…I hope all works out for you and yours….
    Brooklyn…I’m in your camp…
    Starting years ago with the pariah from Boston, the malcontent and clubhouse cancer etc. etc. That was Reggie Smith!!! Now we got CC and HanRam… Yep, there’s people out there hoping for a hiccup or melt down to justify their assanine profiling… I would bet the ranch HanRam would move and that he’s finally comfortable with this team…
    lets all take a deep breath and enjoy the position were in!!!
    P.S. As much as i dislike em, the Gigantes got a pretty good lineup and s*** happens…

12. DodgerDude says:

There are just some players who see themselves as a certain type of player. Jeter was adamant against moving when the Yanks got A-Roid. It wasn’t publicized but I have a good friend who works for the Yanks who says it was understood that Jeter would never be happy away from SS. He also says that everyone knows Hanley feels the same way. What is the big deal anyway? He’s not bad there and Jeter made a career there even though he wasn’t that good defensively.

13. Bobbie17 says:

So much for kicking the Giants’ ass. Chalk it up to complacency. I hope. I am not sure this team can turn it off and on when it wants to. I guess we will be lucky enough to find out in the playoffs. I don’t think it’s that easy. How about starting to play playoff ball now? Either that, or just sit everyone and let the minor leaguers play. I hate to let the Giants win. Maybe when they play up here, there will be a different sense of urgency. Nothing wrong with urgency; even if it is contrived just for motivation. Playing at SF should be enough. I hope.

Get a young stud SS and I would bet Hanley would move.

Looking at the stats it is abundantly clear to me that in this post steroid era these guys are peaking at 27. We need to get younger or we will pay the price.

Thanks Pete. Our justice system may be considered by some to be “the best in the world” but just like our political system it is polluted and broken. And we are rapidly becoming a police state. Stand by. It’s only going to get worse.

15. Quasimodo says:

“So much for kicking the Giants’ ass. Chalk it up to complacency.”

Chalk it up to a bad night for Nolasco, and the pitching in general. A bad pitching performance can make any team look bad. Just give it a rest.

17. Quasimodo says:

Brook, thank you for taking me there. But I also clicked the ‘when you feel hopeless’ one. That was important for me to watch. And then clicked the Gary Oldman one, who I think is the greatest actor by far, and got to hear Beethoven’s 9th, some of it that is.

18. SpokaneBob says:

In 1959 I went to a game at the coloseum and watched Don Newcombe and the Reds beat the Dodgers 17 to 3……We still won the World Series. As mentioned above stuff happens.

Heres my 2 cents worth on The Trade. I believe that the Dodgers did what was needed to get Adrian Gonzales. He is a franchise player and he is only 31. Oh Adrian is in decline…..he doesn’t have the power he once had…… The fact is that he, as Vinny would say, is our Butter and Egg man. There is no one I would rather have at the plate with the game on the line. As for his power decline I tend to agree with the point that Brooklyn makes that the more removed he is from his shoulder surgery the more his power will return. He works hard in the off season and continues to work to be the best hitter he can be. The worst thing i can say about him is that he is a slow runner. But if our line up is right, there should be plenty of speed getting on base for him to knock in. I look for him to be productive for the next few years and I am glad he is here.

19. Quasimodo says:

Memories are funny. The only thing I’m able to remember about games at the Coliseum is the Coliseum itself and my father paying the nearby residents for parking on their lawns as parking was such a mess there. Guess I was just too young.

20. Quasimodo says:

About last night’s game. It was so bad that I actually kind of enjoyed it. I feel bad for those who attended that non-game and would feel bad as a fan if Dodgers were in a division race. I just want Dodgers in good health after two of the wildcard teams are KOed. Cheers!

An offensive juggernaut they’re not they used up all their runs and hits last night.
    Dee leading off which should make some of you happy.
    First game in history to be started by two pitchers with a surname that starts with V. I’m sure Vinnie is all over it.

Here’s your “day in the Sun” Nick Buss, make the most of it.

This is why we have to temper our enthusiasm and confidence with some reality. HEALTH is a big issue for this team at this time, and has been all season.

24. Watford Dodger says:

Spokane – you don’t post very often but you should as the above absolutely hits ‘The Trade’ on the head. Best piece I’ve read about it. It was all about Agon full stop.
    I love coming here to read and it makes me realise that we all have our shit going on. Badger – I thought u you had been quiet – now I know why. Mark – you have a whole load on your plate – fingers crossed for your health & the business. Roger – I know your ill – hope its all going well. Quas, Brooklyn you guys have been there and seen all this before – and you write so well. The one one thing that gives us all some release is supporting the Dodgers. Quas is right – sit back – enjoy the great position we are in and get ready for October. We won’t be in this great position we are in again in a hurry.

25. Reggie says:

Do you guys just write something you pull out of your ass and think that makes it so? Gonzo IS ABSOLUTELY in decline. In the past he has been a 6.9 WAR player twice. Last year he was a 3.5 and this year he is 3.4. I guess you may not be good at math, but that is dramatically less than he once was. Nobody says he’s a bum, but he IS in decline and if you say otherwise, you are declining mentally. I don’t post much, but some of you guys just like to say things contrary to the facts. Mark has said he is in decline and he is. He said Carl Crawford was declining – he is! Why is the truth so hard for you to accept? Are you senile?

26. Bball says:

Nick buss. Y not joc Pederson.

27. Watford Dodger says:

Reggie – nobody said he wasn’t in decline. Senile?

Reggie,

If you’re not going to post very often, then why insult people when you do? And if you are going to be abusive, then at least get the facts straight. If anyone argued that Agon wasn’t in decline, I must have missed it (which is possible, since I suffer from some of that dementia you speak of). Most of us (if not all) recognize that his power has declined, and that he’s not the same hitter he was when he was playing in San Diego. Also, not as patient at the plate as he used to be. I don’t even think he’s quite the same player defensively. But most of us are happy to have a player in decline who currently has 95 RBI.

29. Quasimodo says:

I guess I pull things out of my ass and think its so. But I never said AGon was not in a decline. I will say I’m happy he’s on the team and hasn’t declined to where I wish he was elsewhere. He’s also very durable so far. I wish he was a bit faster. I was uncertain with Crawford. He started the season on a blast and has been on a decline since and he’s not real durable, but I’m not unhappy with him. I think your post is referring back to the ‘trade’ again, but I’m not certain if that’s so. But if that is the case, I’m not unhappy with that trade either. Perhaps that’s out of my ass but for a fact it is so. There’s a chance I may become unhappy with it, but not likely. I’m enjoying the ride. Cheers!

30. Quasimodo says:

P.S. I’d like to see Uribe with Dodgers in 2014. Though it should again be a contract year.

31. Mark Timmons says:

Calm down Reggie, we all know A-Gon and Crawford are in decline. A-Gon should have 2, maybe 3 more good years. Crawford is good if he can stay healthy – I think the older he gets, the more unlikely it becomes. His game is predicated on speed and with back and hammy problems, he isn’t the player he once was.

I’ve been a little puzzled by some of your responses to moving Hanley to 3B. Quas summed it up:

“To me, rightly or wrongly, I see all kinds of signs that moving Hanley to 3B carries major threats of bad results. Its also substantiated nearly every times that topic come up from from the media (mostly by Lyons). But the biggest thing I see (again, rightly or wrongly) is when Hanley is approaching the plate you can tell simply by his look how successful his at bat will be. If he has a smile Hanley’s gonna drive. And I just wouldn’t mess with that. He works hard to be the SS he is. He has to. His gift is his batting and only if he’s happy.”

… and that is all I am saying. Hanley may say with his mouth that he will move, but he won’t have that same smile and if he’s not smiling, he’s not a feared hitter.

If you ask Hanley what he is, he’d say he is a shortstop – that’s his identity. Matt Kemp is another player whose identity is tied to his position. He made that clear last week when he said his job was to play CF. Move Kemp – mess with his head.

If all things are equal, let a guy play where he is happy… and you will be happier.

I am also at a disadvantage because I have contact with some Dodger “insiders” who feel the same way I do, but I can’t compromise them. I did text 6 people about this today and got back 3 responses. I asked them this question written by Quas:

“Do you think that moving Hanley to 3B carries major threats of bad results, because the biggest thing I see is when Hanley is approaching the plate you can tell simply by his look how successful his at bat will be. If he has a smile Hanley’s gonna drive. And I just wouldn’t mess with that. He works hard to be the SS he is. He has to. His gift is his batting and only if he’s happy. Do you think it would be a good idea to move him to 3B?”

I won’t tell you who said what, but the three that responded said this:

1. “No way the Dodgers even entertain that move. You are spot on.”

2. “I hope you aren’t saying that, but you do say some stupid things.”

3. ” Yeah, I would say it’s a bad idea for sure. He’s comfortable at SS.”

Now, you can choose to believe that or not or maybe you should write a sportswriter and ask them the same question. Some might tell you. I was going to post this, but I thought it less likely they might see it in a comment.

Uribe will be 35 next year. As a backup, part-time player, maybe. But for him to sign to do that means a less than lucrative contract. And there’s probably a team out there that will pay him, just like the Dodgers before 2011.

As for Hanley, I’ll just have to fly in the face of those sources. I could interpret that smile as his happiness to be LA. Of course, I can’t read a persons mind based on their smile. Maybe there are people that can. Then again, this may never become an issue because a.) the Dodgers are satisfied with Hanley’s play at short, or b.) there are no shortstops of note available, or there is a third baseman available.

In any case, bringing back Uribe to play 3B would be a mistake.

If we can get more of what we saw of Dee Gordon today, then I’m liking more and more the idea of him being a super-sub next year, playing in both the outfield and at both middle infield positions. From what I’ve read, he’s apparently better at 2B, and actually enjoys playing it. And I suspect that he could develop into an excellent defensive outfielder. He’s develop more patience at the plate, and just might surprise a lot of people with his hitting. In fact, if the Dodgers sign Alexander Guerrero, there’s no certainty of how good he actually is. I’ve read reports that question his bat. You never know. Maybe 2nd base next years turns out to be a platoon between the righthanded hitting Guerrero and the lefthanded hitting Gordon.

Cool, the Superbowl in September!

Should be if Seattle was still in AFC Weast.

35. Quasimodo says:

It wouldn’t shock me if Uribe retired. I don’t think he’s trying to squeeze every buck he can out of the game. More than it being a contract year I’d like to look at it more as just not wanting to go out like that. I could be naive and just trying to make a hero out of him. But his comeback has been a pretty cool feel good story and I’m giving props that its not greed.

36. jerry says:

dodgers should of walked penice with the runner at second..with one home run in each of it games..so they let him bet them..

It’s back to the JV team. Those guys are just good enough to lose most of the time.

Reggie needs some ganga.

If Hanley insists on playing SS it’s fine with me – as long as he can play it 150 games a year. Same with Kemp. Don’t tell me you INSIST on anything when you are being paid a hundred grand a night to sit in a jacuzzi. If that’s how it’s going to be then we need to find younger players that can stay on the field. The JV’s will not win the pennant. In my old school opinion you lose leverage when you spend most of the season on the bench. If we can find a young athletic SS like some I see around the league I sure as hell would get him. But that’s me. The Dodgers are bigger than Hanley Ramirez or Matt Kemp.

“The Dodgers are bigger than Hanley Ramirez or Matt Kemp.”

My sentiments exactly.

39. Quasimodo says:

Badger, you planning on attending Dodgers @ DBacks? I’m only guessing you’re back home. I’m fine with Dodgers splitting the series. After that I’d be fine if the star players and McGwire hung around Camelback planning and prepping for October.

I raise the Donny question again. With a few games now in the loosing grind — and the Dodgers looking like a last place team — who would have a hard time against the Marlins or the Cubs . . .

Now is when the manager needs to manage. The Lineup, the Players, the Situations.

I think the players are playing more like Spring Training mode. Just getting their work in.

I don’t think anyone is in Spring Training mode. They’re all trying, only the results are missing. They’re going through a bad stretch, and will hopefully find their way soon. Roger, just start turning those dimes. It can turn in the right direction just as fast as it turned in the wrong direction.

I’ll take a split too. A split = clinching the division. Anything else, like home field, is gravy. Just look how the Dodgers are playing now at home. If they’re playing well they will win anywhere. And, of course, if they’re playing in a trance, they’ll lose anywhere.

Ramirez, Puig, Gonzalez, Crawford, Ethier and Uribe. When they function as an offensive unit we have a chance to score enough to compete. If they don’t the Dodgers won’t. It’s as simple as that. We still have a couple of weeks to pull it together. Is making the playoffs enough this year?

We are heading home today. I am exhausted. Just looking for some quiet time in Sedona. It’s a very stressful time for my wife and her family, therefor it is for me too. I won’t be attending any ball games.

43. Pete M. says:

Good Golly Miss Mollie….
    Let’s hear about ‘Analysis Paralysis’ from commentors, especially in a pennant race with less than 2 wks to go!!!
    We got WAR, BABIP, OBP and OMG etc. etc…
    We have long/short term health assesments based on, hell, I dont know…
    Lets hear it one more time come Oct. from Vinny…”It’s time for Dodger Baseball”… and just play the game…

44. Pete M. says:

Badger, rest well my friend. I couldn’t think of a more serene place to chill…
    I’m not into the pyramid thing, but I’m convinced that Sedona is ‘Special’ and a very, very spiritual place…

It is Pete. And thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

After pounding rain all week, we wake up to a thick fog. Hope the flight gets out on time but few have this week. Colorado is a disaster. I used to like this state. Not very fond of it theses days.

I have not had much time to read the last several days. Are our guys getting healthy or do we have to ride the second string to the finish line?

45. Jae says:

The Dodgers are a MASH unit.

46. Watford Dodger says:

It seems that none of the injuries should keep anyone out of the post season. All short term. The question is how much form & momentum will we have going into Oct.

47. SpokaneBob says:

Watford,

Thanks for the kind words. I would like to post more often but using my phone to post is a pain in the Reggie. I read here everyday and appreciate the reasoned and knowledgeable opinions that enhance my enjoyment of the Dodgers and the season.

Best case senerio is that we have the time to get healthy and back to our winning ways by the time the playoffs start. I am hopeful that Kemp is finally able to play and can get enough at bats to be of help in the post season. I don’t want to discuss the worse case, but none of us knows what will happen. I guess thats part of the fun of being a Dodger fan and it is nice to know that whatever happens this ownership will continue to improve the team and we will be in contention every year.

48. Quasimodo says:

There are a lot of things to like about Colorado. Also a lot of things to dislike about it. I lived in Colorado Springs in the early 70′s and it was a police state then. Though I was never arrested there or had any contact with police, in Colorado everybody’s a cop. Hitch-hiking is unlawful and anybody can arrest you, even if you’re having car trouble.

49. jerry says:

i think player should play where they are told..to make that kind of money ..and to say i will only play ss. they i say ..you will no long be on the team…i dont care how good you are..the dodger are the boss or any other team..the player are not the boss..if i worked for mark .and said i dont want to install your water system , i only want to sell it..mark would good bye.

Pain in the Reggie. Now that’s funny.

Colorado has turned into a strange place for me. I remember it in the 70s too, and that place is gone. It’s a conservative gun totem cowboy state in many places with marijuana stores everywhere. A living breathing geographical contradiction. And whatever you do, don’t piss off the cops around here. They are heavily armed with very short fuses.

I have no idea what lineup will be available for October. I trust all will be back in the lineup and we can get our mojo back. Right now there are a lot of teams playing much better than we are.

At airport and can’t wait for lift off outta here.

51. Quasimodo says:

The point is nothing aside of a very potential mistake making a move like that could create. No players have the last word at where or even if they play. A disgruntled player is not likely to perform well. Tommy Lasorda had a really tough task of keeping one Steve Garvey cheerful. Garvey’s ego was pretty fragile. So thanks towards Tommy for being that kind of manager and thus we had a productive Garvey. So tell HamRam he’s 3B like it or not and that he didn’t earn his bones to be SS and you’ll probably be looking for a job if your name’s Mattingly.

If anyone thinks today\’s players are going to play where they are told to play without consequences, they are from another planet…. probably Uranus!

The lineup is out on the Dodgers website and no Kemp. I suppose it can change anytime up to gametime, so we will see.
    Hanley has one year before FA and if the brass want him to play 3rd he will if he wants to stay in LaLa land. I have never seen any reference to HanRam loathing a move to 3rd anywhere but on this site. I may be wrong but think its a sense that Mark has.
    For what its worth there are no FA 3rd basemen to be had and the only viable SS would be Stephen Drew.

Brooklyn mentioned: “In the 1959 World Series the Dodgers lost the first game 11-0. They won the Series in 6 games. This is baseball. Everyday is a new day.”

But the Dodgers lost the 5th game 1 to 0 — and . . .

I remember that game because of the cover of Baseball Digest, and that cover is etched in my mind. (Which I still have in my collection.)

The White Sox scored the run on a double-play made by the Dodgers. Koufax pitched that game. Dodgers out hit the Sox 9 to 5 but lost the game. So what else is new.

55. Quasimodo says:

This is funny, after I made my last comment, I googled ‘Steve Garvey’s ego’ and there discovered Garvey’s son is a member of a band with the name ‘Sans Ego’. Interesting.

Roger,

The scores in that series were:

11-0 White Sox

4-3 Dodgers

3-1 Dodgers

5-4 Dodgers

1-0 White Sox

9-3 Dodgers

Lots of close games. But the Dodgers did score 9 runs in the final game.

Here’s my big question. Who is our Chuck Essegian this year?

57. Quasimodo says:

Admitting I had to cheat via Wikipedia, to understand your question, Brook, I think the bigger question would be “who isn’t?

Back home and settling in for the game. It is on tv here of course.

Haven’t had much time to check on anything.

I was at that 1-0 game in ’59. I am sure you all have heard that story…. got Nat King Cole and Joe DiMaggio’s autographs that day. Row 10 right behind the opening of the Dodger dugout.

I must be from Uranus because I would not hesitate to ask another player to move. If we picked up a guy like Reyes for example, HanRam moves to third or he moves to Toronto. I don’t see another SS in the immediate future, and frankly Ramirez looks fine there to me for now. But after next year, we will probably be looking for upgrades at all positions where we have guys that are pulling hammies every few months. We need to think about getting younger at some key positions.

I need to think about getting something to eat.

Badger, hope you’re relaxed and at ease, and sitting down to enjoy the game with some yummy eats.

Absolutely agree with you. Maybe Hanley can play short next year, maybe even for two years, but I have my doubts about anything longer. And hopefully he and the rest of the Dodgers can put those hammys behind them. And if the Dodgers are thinking of giving him a long term deal, they had better talk to him about the possibility of moving, and soon if something becomes available. Otherwise, let him play out his contract next year and maybe look elsewhere for employment after 2014. With their resources, I’m confident the Dodgers can upgrade significantly in multiple places in the next year or two, and be able to move on without Hanley. Who knows, maybe Matt Kemp will get healthy.

Early, and things can change, but the initial news about Billingsley sounds encouraging.

Break out the bubbly, I fully expect us to clinch by Wednesday night.
    P.S. Don’t throw any strikes to Goldie

Interesting lineup. Ryu better be sharp. And as I say that he walks the lead off hitter and serves one up to Goldschmidt.

With AJ hitting in back of Puig I wouldn’t expect Yas to get much to hit tonight.

Could be a long night.

I hate to say I told ya but I told ya

64. Leroy says:

Thanks for the blog. It’s always a pleasure to read and get well!

Puig gave an at bat away. If he is willing to swing at pitches a foot off the plate he will be an easy out. This lineup is soft.

Kinda mushy I think.

Nice patience by Puig. Runs, I’ll take ‘em anyway I can get ‘em. Time to get unmushy.

Collmenter and his 89 mph fastball tight down the pipe makes quick work of AJ. He is slumping horribly. Mush.

No killer instinct in this group. We need the varsity on the field. This thing can be wrapped up and we are playing our second string.

And mushy continues. Even this lineup should score more. But it doesn’t. Maybe Kemp wins it with a pinch hit HR. I can dream, can’t I?

AJ Ellis’s AB. Let me use one of Mark’s OLD expressions. Stupid. Bases loaded, two outs, new pitcher in, and he takes 2 strikes down the middle and then strikes out.

It is time to hit the first pitch in your zone that looks good. Forget the walk. Shoe is up next and the odds drop even further . . . go for the gold AJ and you put yourself in the box.

You are right Roger. AJ has become an easy out. And smart pitchers can get Puig to chase their pitch. Ryu deserves better.

Pathetic.

But, it’s just a matter of time….. I think.

74. Quasimodo says:

The thing is both Ellis’ have gotten too used to be credited for taking it deep into the count and scouting reports have caught up to that some time ago.

75. Quasimodo says:

Tonight’s loss sure soured my mood. Guess that’s my fault though.

76. Watford Dodger says:

Spot on Quas.

77. jerry says:

mark ellis swang at two high fast ball out of the strike zone, witch would made him walk and the game would of been tied.

78. jerry says:

sorry i think that was schumaker

Collmenter throws two pitches. Fastball change. Pick one. Neither does much in the way of movement and the fastball is 88-89. He should never get away with an 88 mph fastball over the heart of the plate, but he does.

We still swing at too many outside the strike zone and miss fastballs right down the middle. We need Ramirez, Crawford and Ethier in this lineup. We have them, we can beat teams that only score 2-3 runs. Obviously Kemp isn’t ready, but he could be with several at bats over the next two weeks. I think.

Buss actually had a few good at bats. Looks like he has an idea at the plate, and that’s a good thing.

This is hard to watch. If this is the team we send into post season it will end quickly.

Come on. Two wins against these guys and we can take the next two weeks to heal up.

One more thing…. for the record I think Mattingly having Uribe sacrifice bunt was a really dumb idea.

You know, when players do not follow instruction — it only leads to trouble.

Take last night’s game. If Ryu would have read my post a few weeks back — he might have faired better.

Instruction: Dodger pitchers will just have to pitch SHUT-OUT out baseball.

See, simple – easy. Yeah, I know, he only gave up the bomb in the first — but he did not follow the INSTRUCTION.

But is is rewarding to know — when the real Dodger lineup come back sometime in a week two or three — he would have won that game.
    —–

Yes, I had my Chemo treatment yesterday. Been at it over 3 months now, once a week. Several months to go. Thanks for asking.

82. Rob says:

I agree badger. If your going to bunt at least bring in someone who can do it like maybe Kershaw. The purpose of having an expanded roster is to use them. Didn’t like kemp coming in for the final out, he has terrible numbers against Ziegler. This team will not get far in the playoffs with calls like that. Unfortunately Donnie will cost us in the playoffs.

I have to agree with you Badger. The whole 9th inning turned into a debacle after the first two hitters reached base. Uribe bunting? Buss sent up to hit? Kemp pinch hitting. What a frecken mess……. I have always tried to support Donny Baseball but I’m losing my patience…….

Chemo is an ugly thing to go through Roger. I am wishing you the best buddy.

85. Quasimodo says:

Pitchers only are having to throw 1 strike to Puig. After that he’ll swing at nearly anything. Its really hard to believe that McGwire is missing all these bad habits and isn’t providing each of these guys with a personal approach plan. He’s had enough time. Hell, I’ve had enough time. If he’s not working on their mechanics, what is he working on?

Puig doesn’t appear to be a quick study Quas, He’s still running into the infielders and outfielders on fly balls, and running crazy on the bases. He’s got a ton of ability and just a little upstairs. That’s my take anyway………

87. Quasimodo says:

Sure, but I meant that for the whole lineup. The whole lineup is almost too predictable. If their plate approach is fallowing a plan then they’ve been given the wrong plan. Cahill? Geez!

88. SpokaneBob says:

This is hard…..

I shouldn’t let what the Dodgers do on the field effect me personally, But I can’t help it. When they win I am happy, but this stretch has me depressed. I guess all any of us can do is just hang in and hope we get somebody back in the line up that can help us score some runs.

Silver lining…Ryu had his best outing in a while. Maybe the rest has given him a second wind so to speak.

Anyway, today is a new day and I am going to try to keep a positive attitude.

89. jerry says:

the dodgers our were they are at . because it was the players who saved donnies bacon..not donnie…i still think he makes stupid calls ..just like badger said about uribe bunting.he has way over used paco..

90. Quasimodo says:

My mind changes frequently. Maybe that’s not a great thing, because last night and this morning I’m kinda pissed at dodgers. If I had a voice in the organization I’d loudly let it be heard. Okay, not a great thing. But against THE TEAM where a WIN counts as TWO and blame can be directed this broadly I’d let my disappointment sing. Indeed the Dodgers are going into the playoffs – fact! But with swag? – How? If they really feel they win any game they need to show it where it counts because only two wins put this issue dead. Kill it – period! If you can’t then how can you expect to run deep post season. Like I said I’m just kinda pissed this morning.

There is a book on Puig now. We are seeing what it is. As long as mistakes aren’t made he will chase. He hates to walk but did take one with the bases loaded. Gonzalez just had a bad night. After they get through those two the rest of that lineup is a single here and there but nobody going to go yard. Our professionals are hurt. How much money is in sick bay right now? We can clinch with this current group but it might take Arizona losing games later to get it done. This is hard to watch.

Tony talks about how Kemp doesn’t much care for the media. Maybe it’s because Matt makes 20 million a year, has not earned any of it and the writers are telling the story. Nobody is making anything up Matt. The picture you are painting is butt ugly this year. Your team could use you. Cowboy up and get your ass back in the lineup and earn the $100,00+ a night you are being paid. It’s the fans who pay your salary and we don’t have a problem with guys like Tony telling us the truth.

92. Quasimodo says:

At 1:00 pt Prime Ticket is showing last night’s game. I’m gonna watch it again and see how far out of line I am. Hope that the Dodgers watch it also.

Out of line? You’re not out of line Quas.

I haven’t seen much of anything for the last week, only reading small pieces and watching some ESPN now and then. But I saw every pitch last night and what I saw was ugly. AJ Ellis can’t hit a waist high fastball over the middle of the plate, everybody in the park knew Uribe was going to bunt, he telegraphed it and offered an easy out, Puig and Matt Kemp swinging wildly at pitches no where near the strike zone, AGon with a bad night….. so many things went into a two hit performance by an offense that looks like I could pitch to it. It seems simple to me, we don’t win with this lineup. Yeah, we will likely still clinch cuz even those guys can score 2-3 now and then and Kershaw or Greinke will get the wins we need. I don’t believe the Dbacks will sweep, so as much as I would like to see it done in the next two days, somehow I think the snakes are lit up and don’t want to see us celebrating on their turf. In fact, every game on this road trip is going to be a dog fight. You know how everybody wants to “BEAT LA!!”.

Just get it done and forget about best record. It is more important that all the walking wounded be 100% when the play-offs start. We aren’t going to win any post season series without ALL our first team players in the lineup. Even WITH them, it will take great pitching. We have the pitching. What we don’t have is thunder in our lineup, but we have enough to score the number of runs that will be needed to beat the better teams in the league. It won’t get done with what we have seen in the latest schneid.

93. Watford Dodger says:

Roger – chemo every week – that is hardcore. Very glad to hear that it’s going well for you. Lets hope the Dodgers can give you the perfect tonic.

To that end I think some of you guys are being a little unrealistic & harsh on Donnie & the Boys. We are now playing with the cards we have been dealt as we were in the first two months of the season. No one wanted this but this is where we are with our triple A line up doing battle with the D’backs. We have done so well to this point that we have the luxury of it not being fatal. We will win the division. We have played well & been managed well and I agree Donnie probably got it wrong last night but you know what he’s been playing his hunches pretty well for the past three months without much comment in here. I was a critic earlier in the season but for me he’s earned a bit of leeway.

It is natural to feel nervous as we head towards the play offs but we really have had no other way go play it. I’m sure if we were in Oct now Hanley, Ethier & SVS would all be starting – maybe even CC. Destiny has forced the Club’s hand with all the injuries. Sure they would have loved to keep the run going but it wasn’t to be. We have been very lucky. These injuries could have hamstrung (get it) the week before the playoffs – at least we have time to nurse them back. We mustn’t panic – the results have been poor but there are positives as Spokane points out – with Ryu looking good last night & Uribe hitting with power.

As Badger kept saying early season – this team needs all its parts to function properly – we have the luxury of being able to give the casualties time to recover. All the other NL contenders are in a dogfight with Wild Card games to contend with – we are regrouping. This may well work out for the best. The question mark is if course momentum. Hopefully we have enough time to maybe get the starting line up on the field for the last week of the season. Form can move very quickly in baseball and with our quota of experienced players I think we will be ok once the adrenalin kicks in. I would give Puig & maybe AJ a little freshen up before the playoffs. We still have the best 1234 starters in baseball and some very dangerous hitters. We have every reason to be confident. Kemp’s return could be a shot in the arm – and if his hammy doesn’t hold up – could he be our 2013 Kirk Gibson? Keep the faith.

Well said W.

I think all of us are confident we will clinch. If nothing else, the dbacks are going to lose 4 before the end of the season. It is clear to all who know anything about Major League baseball that a lineup such as the one we threw out there last night won’t get very far in a play-off atmosphere. We’ll get the division thing done but if those guys in the clinic don’t get back out on the field soon, we can fuhgeddaboudit all right.

94. jerry says:

how come jerry h.. was sitting and donnie playing the rookie

95. Watford Dodger says:

That’s a good question Jerry – I wondered about that.
    Simple answer Donnie doesn’t fancy him. He’s slumping and probably won’t make the post season roster. What I don’t understand is why I’d never heard of Buss (Whatever his name is) before. Seems like a decent player but has been right under the radar and his numbers are good.

Watford, I don’t think you’ve heard of Buss for the same reason none of us have probably heard of him until recently. He’s been a decent, but not a special player in the minors. Maybe he’s a late bloomer, and who knows, maybe he’ll end up with a nice big league career. But probably not with the Dodgers, and he’s likely not going to be more than a 4th outfielder, or maybe a starter on a non-contender.

I continue to be concerned about the offense, even when Hanley and the other starters are in the lineup. Maybe things will pick up once the playoffs begin. But possible though that may be, I’m not really confident that it’s going to happen. For all that’s good, this team still has some serious flaws. And a consistent offense is foremost among them. And right along with that is the questionable health of some of our key players.

And Agon, as good as he’s been at times, still concerns me. He used to be a patient hitter, but not anymore. Last night he continued to swing at pitches out of the strike zone. Anyone can have a bad game, but in Agon’s case, I’m not happy with the way he’s doing it. He needs to take walks when their given to him, and needs to stay ahead in the count when he’s not seeing strikes. Don’t think that other teams haven’t noticed, and are consequently given him fewer strikes to hit.

97. more says:

Great submit. I was looking at consistently the following blog page using this program . encouraged! Useful details particularly a final aspect :) We maintain these kinds of info a whole lot. I’d been looking for that information and facts for your while. Appreciate it and greatest associated with good luck.