It was just a loss on an incredible night

I watched the Fox Sports feed from Cincinnati last night and outside of Hanley’s HR in the first inning and the stellar pitching by most of the pen, the game was a yawner.  However, what happened AFTER the game was a thing for the ages.  It probably means more to me than to most people because I grew up in Ohio and watched the Big Red Machine many times each year, especially when they played the Dodgers.  I am not a hater – I don’t like the Giants but I don’t hate them.  When you hate something, it still has control over you and I don’t like that.  I do however, like the Reds in the aspect that they were my hometown team.  If I had a second favorite team, it would be the Reds.Bart Giamatti

Last night was something really special in that it was Joe Morgan Weekend in Cincinnati and  Big Red Machine’s ‘Great Eight’ reunited for first time EVER.  It was awesome to see this 60-something and 70-something players be back on the field together.  They formed what was arguably the best lineup ever.  Of course, you may have a different opinion – I said arguably!

The stats of the 1975 Big Red Machine can be found HERE.  We all know what happened later when Pete Rose bet on baseball as a manager and was banned by then Commissioner Bart Giamatti.  I always believed that Rose and Giamatti had a handshake deal that Pete would be let back into baseball at some time, but Bart up and died and Pete is still banned for life, which I think is a crying shame.  Pete Rose is the greatest hitter in terms of sheer quantity of hits and is beloved by the Ohio fans.

Yes, he violated baseball’s most sacred rule and bet on baseball AFTER his playing career was over, but there was never any evidence that he ever bet against his team.  He always bet for his team.  Yes, it was wrong in the full sense of being wrong, but his actions never compromised records like Ryan Braun, Roger Clemens, Mark MacGwire, Barry Bonds and A-Rod.  People say betting on baseball is the worst offense because it compromises the game, but the reality of the situation is that while what Pete did was wrong, he did not compromise the game.

If we forgive players like the above-mentioned, should we not forgive Pete Rose?  If you are the vindictive sort and want pure justice, then say he was banned from baseball AFTER his playing career was over, but you can’t ignore the fact the he has to be in the Hall-of-Fame as a player.  It’s way past time to put this to rest, Bud Selig!

It was heart-warming to see the crowd cheer Pete and see his teammates hug him including Johnny Bench with whom he has feuded in the past.  Pete Rose is kind of an obnoxious character, but he was the best hitter of all time.  He needs his bust in Cooperstown before he dies.

Dodger News:

• Rumor has it that the Dodgers tried to acquire Howie Kendrick at the trade deadline for Zach Lee.   Evidently the Angels think as little about Zach Lee as I do.
  • Brian Wilson was lucky in getting out of a jam last night (but he seems to be able top do that).  However, his velocity was mostly around 88 MPH.  I saw him at 93-94 earlier this month.  Is anything up with that?
  • I still think Matt Kemp will play this season and be a factor.   Just my opinion….
  • In the off-season, would you trade Matt Kemp for Kyle Seager?
  • I have to make a decision today if I can walk enough to go to the game tomorrow night.  Not sure yet….

new_contest

24 Responses to “It was just a loss on an incredible night”

1. Yo! Adrian says:

1. They can sign cuban infielder Alex Guerrero now, as he had clearance from US gov’t.
    2. I don’t think Seattle would do that. If Seager for Kemp trade happens, it would be the best move for the dodgers.

“Evidently the Angels think as little about Zach Lee as I do.”

That’s not what I get from the reports. MLB Trade Rumors states that “It isn’t clear which team backed away from the deal.” And in the link below Rosenthal states “It is unclear which team blinked.”

It also indicates that the Angels proposed a deal that included Zach Lee.

I guess it’s possible that Kemp could play again this season and be a factor. I just don’t know, since I don’t know the extent of his current hamstring issue, and how much it will delay him getting back to swinging a bat again to get his timing. Maybe you know something I don’t, but based on written reports I can’t find anything to boost my confidence. Even Mattingly indicated that Kemp is running out of time.

Yeah, I’d trade Kemp for Seager, provided that the Mariner’s picked up his entire contract (I’m not holding my breath on that one), and the Dodgers used that money to sign a free agent outfielder, e.g., Jacoby Ellsbury. Or maybe that Cuban outfielder (Despaigne????????) is good enough to replace Kemp.

I did notice that 88 mph. So I’m not convinced how effective he might be against a really good lineup. Maybe he’ll get his velocity back over time, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be anytime soon, if ever. He’s a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG question mark to me.

3. Bobbie17 says:

How about the start of a Big Blue Machine? This year. My hope: This is the first year of a 10 year run. I am again concerned about Paco. They are being too cautious with him, I think. He needs to pitch. Last night was his worst of the season. Howell needs to pitch, too. It won’t be that easy to turn it on when postseason comes. I don’t like the way the bullpen is being managed right now. Until 2 weeks ago, that was the best thing about the team. Time will tell if we are being too cautious with the players to have them rested and healthy.

Agree about Rose. He’s paid. Let him in.

“In the off-season, would you trade Matt Kemp for Kyle Seager?”

Maybe. But Seattle wouldn’t. Not unless we swallowed a ton of money.

Zach Lee, he guy we overpaid for and was supposed to be a top 5 pick, looks like an of the rotation pitcher. That’s ok. Everyone needs a few of those. He will be affordable for a while. Now would be the time to trade him. Now of course being the off season.

If Kemp is going to be a factor, he is really running out of time to get his collective stuff together. He looked not so good against A ball pitchers and now the hammy, again, so I just don’t know. I am not counting on him. I doubt the Dodgers are either. Inuries are accumulative. Yeah, you can recover from all of these dings, but, like the CarFax, the PlayerFax does not forgive or forget. This is a guy who is already being paid for the next 6 years at an average of about 21 milyun. Is he going to be worth it? The answer at this moment is – probably not. His history of injury is becoming a rather large concern. I got a feeling he is ours for a while. I say shut him down and give him orders to live the lifestyle that is going to keep him on the field through 2019. Will he do it? ion’tkno. Does he care enough? on’tkno that either. Maybe Mark or Tony know him well enough to know that answer.

5. Quasimodo says:

Even the guy who ratted on Pete said Pete never bet against Reds. If Reds were losing in the 9th inning by 10 runs, Pete would still not bet against them. It’d be a sucker-bet if you bet Pete bet against Reds. And I’d bet my life (it ain’t worth much) that he never bet against Reds. In my book Pete Rose did no shame. And I was never a fan of his or the Reds. I’d never bet against Dodgers. Even when I had no faith in them. Comiskey is in the Hall of Fame. And THAT is a true shame.

Here\’s what I base my optimism about Kemp upon:

He has hamstring \”tightness\” not a pull.

I think he takes a few days off, gets treatment and works his way back slowly. He\’ll be back around the 20th or so.

Just my guess.

OK, let’s say Kemp gets back around the 20th. That leaves him 9 games to show he has his timing back, and be a “factor”. I assume you meant that he would be a factor in the playoffs, since with their current lead the Dodgers don’t need him to be a factor before then.

Is 9 games (assuming he plays about 9 innings in all 9 games) enough for him to convince the Dodgers that he belongs on the playoff roster? Or does he maybe go down to the instructional league to get more at bats, and maybe is activated for the NLCS and/or World Series, if the Dodgers get that far?

Brooklyn,

Maybe and Maybe. Let\’s not forget he was the NL MVP in 2011, not Lyin\’ Braun!

B17, why I wonder do you continue to insist that the Dodgers are being cautious about Paco? I made a post similar to this in the last thread. Paco’s last 4 appearances came on 9/1, 9/3, 9/4 and 9/6. How is that being cautious? My info comes from the bullpen chart in many of Mike Petriello’s posts at MSTI.

Mark,

I’m not forgetting what Matt Kemp did in 2011, nor what he did in the first month of 2012. If healthy I don’t think there’s a better player in the game. Problem is, he’s not healthy, and is therefore not the same guy who deserved MVP, and who may well have won a triple crown last year had he stayed healthy. Given current circumstances, I just can’t be confident that we can depend on Kemp to be a “factor” anytime this year. I really hope I’m wrong, but I simply do not have enough info to give me any confidence that I am wrong. In fact, because of his recent fragile history, I doubt if the Dodgers or Kemp himself have any clue as to what kind of impact he could potentially have.

Let’s suppose the Dodgers could pull off a trade of Kemp for Kyle Seager. Doesn’t that make the Dodger lineup heavily lefthanded?

1B – Adrian Gonzalez
    3B – Kyle Seager
    LF – Carl Crawford
    CF – Andre Ethier

Just a thought.

I am fine with a heavy LH lineup if they can all hit. There are a lot more RH pitchers in the game and the LH batters box is still 2 steps closer to first base.

Great effort by Crawford on that Votto fly ball.

With as little as Kemp has played, and with what he showed against low minor league pitching, it’s my belief he will need more than 9 games to get his timing back. I would love to be proven wrong on that one.

13. Bball says:

The only hope I hold out for kemp coming back this year would be the dh in the World Series if we get that far. Other then that he’s done this year and to be honest it doesn’t bother me. We’ve been good without him.

And Crawford comes back with a bone head base running blunder. Come on guys…. this is a very good team.

Seems to me, as a outsider, that the Dodgers better score some more runs, if they want to win this game. Just a thought on this end.

These guys can’t the required 4 runs in 10 innings.

Dodgers in free-fall. And it can happen fast. One of the best Dodger pitchers fell short . . . today.

Better hope the Giants finish off the D-Backs . . . or they move closer.

of the 21 games left in the regular season . . .

Dodgers have 7 more games with the D-Backs.
    1 with the Reds.
    7 with the Giants.
    3 with the Padres.
    3 with the Rockies (end of season).

Folks, those are not sure games, and those teams will play the Dodgers with everything they have.

Plus, right now, the Dodgers are flat. This season is not over . . . if the D-Backs went on a power winning streak . . . could be a hard ride.

If you don’t score you can’t win. And if you can’t score more than 2 or 3 runs you usually don’t win. And that is the Dodgers’ problem.

Dodgers pinch run for Gonzalez with Punto while Dee Gordon sits, and the Reds use Billy Hamilton in the bottom of the inning. There are times when you just don’t save your weapons for later. The way the Dodgers have been hitting they need to take every opportunity they’re given, right then and there.

And let me add, if you can’t score after the first inning (last night) or after the second inning (today), you’re generally not going to win.

20. headache says:

These games matter. They need to get it together. This team needs to do it with pitching, thus home field at Dodger Stadium is crucial if they want to make it past the nlds

On Gordon, I was thinking the same thing Brooklyn. Does Donnie have no confidence in the young man? If not, why is he here?

Reds more desperate. I’m not concerned – yet. But eventually we will have to turn up the intensity. Running yourself out of rallies must not happen this late in the year.

A reference was made to Donnie not having a lot of confidence Kemp will make it back. I believe I read that over on scribe.

Yes Roger, anything is possible. But I’m more concerned (and have been for a while) that this team simply does not generate enough consistent offense to support the pitching, especially when they are playing teams with both good pitching and hitting. The Dodgers can’t count on winning close games all the time. There comes a time when the ball doesn’t bounce in their favor. The way things are now too many things have to go right for this team to win. That’s why I thought a successful return of Kemp was so important. When he’s hitting, he adds an extra dimension that’s missing right now. If Ethier was hitting for power it might be different, but he isn’t.

I doubt if the D-Backs are going to be much of a threat, and I doubt if the Dodgers are going to go into a free fall. But I am worried that this team may have problems against good teams in the postseason. Despite all the winning since the end of June, this team has issues that will need to be addressed in the offseason. But we’ve been through all of that.

D-Backs are winning 2-1 in the 6th against the Giants.

Dodgers need to focus. The big bats cannot always produce, but I want more from the C, 3B, 2B slots, no matter who is in the lineup each game.

And it does not always seem to happen like it did a month ago.

Both Cincy games were close . . . but the guys have to pull out of this funk and drive the ball, and also take the chips that fall here and there.