How the West was bought…’er won!

• Los Angeles Dodgers – $216,753,000
  • Arizona Diamondbacks – $86, 300,000
  • Colorado Rockies – $73,949,000
  • San Diego Padres – $68,333,000
  • San Francisco Giants -  $136,908,000

That tells the tale.  The Dodgers bought the NL West.  I’m happy because I am a Dodger fan, but I’m not proud.  Anyone can overspend and maybe win because of it.  Here is what the NL West teams payed per win:

• Dodgers – $2,491,000
  • Arizona Diamondbacks – $1,120,000
  • Colorado Rockies – $1,071,000
  • San Diego Padres – $962,433
  • San Francisco Giants -  $1,955,000

Based upon that, the Dodgers won purely on their ability to outspend any other team.  The Padres were the wisest stewards of their money spending almost 2.5 times less per win than the Dodgers.  Look out!  These guys are smart.

I am happy but a little sad as well.  I feel like a Yankee fan.

Maybe I’ll feel better if the Dodgers can buy the World Series.

Rants & Raves

• Can Brandon League, Carlos Marmol and Ronald Belisario be trusted in the playoffs? I don’t think so.
  • Michael Young or Jerry Hairston, Jr.?   Close call but I have to go with Young.
  • Unless Don Mattingly wins the World Series, he won’t be back.  He has to be replaced.
  • I have always said Fed-Ex would surprise with his hitting.
  • Rest or Play?  That’s the question.

Enjoy the Celebration:

RO_Giveaways

48 Responses to “How the West was bought…’er won!”

1. Bball says:

Well don’t no what to say to that other then I sure hope they buy there way into the playoffs every year.

I totally agree on Mattingly. He might be a great guy but his true colors say he is overmatched when it comes to game management.
    The new owners spent magnificently on the replacements and rebuilding, it’s been real Donnie have a fun time being Torres shoeshine boy.
    Who might Stan target to chauffeur his shiny new machine?

The other guy in Orange County…

4. JCV says:

very bad post mark, first you cry that they don´t win. Now that they do win, you say they bought there wins, come on just enjoy it for once…

5. Robert says:

What a downer post. Yikes! I also disagree on Mattingly. The man has gotten them into the playoffs. Imagine how bad the Dodger mgt would look if they fire Mattingly for not winning the WS.

There’s a problem with your formula. I don’t see anything about revenues. I don’t know the exact attendance of each team in the West, but I believe the Dodgers outdrew all of the teams in their division by a wide margin. I believe they led MLB in attendance, something like 3.7 – 3.8 million. You can put a cost on each victory, but you should also factory how much revenue each victory was worth (i.e., the money derived from concession and merchandise sales). And, of course, there’s playoff revenue which the other teams in the NL West will not get.

And, of course, there’s the promotional value going into next year of having at least won something (and maybe more than just something). And then there’s all the money the Dodgers have pumped into their player development program, including money to acquire new international talent.

And I’m sure there’s stuff I’m not even thinking of now.

As for Mattingly, I’m not one of those who has ever been on the dump Mattingly bandwagon. So I see no reason for me to jump on it now. There are things he does that I don’t like, but I’m sure I would find much of the same with most, if not all, of the alternatives.

7. Quasimodo says:

When Stan told Ned to go after who he wanted and think big, he was priming bids to greatly increase in the TV contract. And it appears Stan accomplished that when a billion + was added beyond speculation. Good business? I’m gonna guess yes. Ned, with that kind of ‘other people’s money’ didn’t fail at fielding a team that made it to playoffs. I see a win-win-win, as that also includes me as a fan. I know what you mean comparing Dodgers to spending mega-bucks Yankee style as I’ve held that against Yankees myself. But Dodgers are the ones who got success out of the players that other teams failed with. I don’t have to look at how much money was spent or how wise or unwise owners invested. But I am able to look at my team as the 1st team in MLB to clinch the division this year. I can go on and on but no need. I feel pretty good. Cheers!

Here’s MLB attendance to date:

Dodgers are at just under 3.6 million with 3 more home games remaining. They are currently averaging just under 46,000 per game for the season, but playing to sell-out crowds since they’ve turned it around. Those remaining 3 games should draw in excess of 150,000, bringing the total for the year close to 3,750,000. And had the Dodgers not gotten off to such a lousy start to begin the year, the overall attendance would probably have approached or exceeded 4,000,000.

9. MJRod55 says:

I usually like your posts Mark but come on! I for one am tired of seeing Kirk Gibson’ home run for excitement when it came to Dodger highlights. The Guggs kept their promise to fix on-the-fly, and the team was a mess from the big league club right down the line to scouting. Now you’re gonna cry because they didn’t do it the old fashion “Dodger way” please. Donnie’s job is his to loose, if they win it all are you going to be a hater still? I’m not saying he’s a brilliant strategist because he’s not, but he has a handle on these high-priced ponies and keeps them on the same page as a team which is no easy task. So chil-lax, and lets see what happens.

By the way, above I meant to say revenue derived from ticket sales, concessions and merchandise. I left out the tickets.

And while I’m at it, “factory” was meant to be “factor in”. And as I am wont to do, I’m sure there’s one or more other typos. But really no need to call attention to them, since most people around here are sharp enough to recognize a typo and figure out what it was meant to be.

Same tired idea that has been disproved by many several times. Mark won’t listen on this one. The Dodgers are a money making organization. They can afford to run the business like a successful business. Not sure why Mark continues to do this, but, why bother to say the same things over and over? He is not a facts guy. He is a “values” guy. I got a friend here in Sedona that is just like him. Don’t confuse him with the facts. His mind is made up, so, there is less value in a team that wins because they can afford better players.

You see, his problem is not with the Dodgers and the Yankees, his problem is with MLB. If they ever get around to a solid salary cap, the playing field will be leveled. Until then, I CHOOSE to be happy that the team is now run by people who know what the phuck they are doing.

I have no problem is the payroll goes to $275 million. If the team on the field is entertaining, people will fill up the park and businesses will want in on the t.v. deal. It’s all good as far as I can tell.

12. Leroy says:

This is an unfortunate post. Don’t hate the Dodgers because they spend so much, hate MLB for ALLOWING them to. After having McCourt as the owner for far too long, it’s a welcome thing to have someone whom is willing to spend.

Also, I don’t hate the Yankees for spending (good on them for WANTING to win), I hate them because they are the Dodgers’ ultimate rival.

Have some fun, Marc.

13. Quasimodo says:

About all the banter that’s been going on with Dodgers taking a swim. I’ll say that Dodgers had totally honored Arizona’s request they not reenter the field for the reasons given. Arizona’s fans were safely exited from the park. So be honest with your request. Dodgers just won the division, it just happened to be in Arizona.

14. Leroy says:

I also couldn’t imagine Scioscia trying to manage guys like Hanley, Puig, Uribe, Kemp… you know, guys that like to have fun and keep a loose clubhouse. Sosh would be a poor fit for the Dodgers. Donnie is a great players manager, but his in game management has a lot of room for improvement.

15. Matt says:

Awful post.

It’s not your money, what do you care. The Dodgers are a money making machine, Im gald its being spent.

Just enjoy a division championship, I know I am.

I was at the Clemson- NC STATE game yesterday and as I was tailgating I had my XM radio tuned to the Dodgers game, (stinks I could only get the home broadcast). Well everyone that walked by said, man you must be a die hard Dodger fan!!! I was cheering and was thrilled when we got the final out.

Good night, Dodgers clinch, and Clemson wins, althought they did not look good.

16. Pete M. says:

Spot on Brooklyn and good for you Matt. BLUE has no boundaries…
    Leroy gets it…
    And Badger in his own ‘Howard Cosell’ way, just telling it like he sees it…
    Mark is Mark… Champagne is not even warm and he’s ragging on the payroll and dumping Donnie…
    Mark is trolling, my least favorite form of deep sea fishing in Baja… If you aint got nothing, pull up the anchor and troll around for something, anything…
    1200 hits on MSTI??? Maybe the post was worthy!??!!?

Ha! Let negative nancy whine all he wants.

The rest of us know what’s going on, and it’s a dynasty in the making. we will enjoy it and he can go root for the Padres who clearly the ‘wisest stewards” of the bunch.

A lot of talk about the pool party. Not sure how I feel about it. At first I didn’t care much, but now I kinda wish they hadn’t done it. One thing for sure – it has added some heat to this rivalry.

19. Watford Dodger says:

I understand where Mark is coming from in that he would have loved to have won the division but without the huge payroll. He is pleased it’s just that the victory is tainted because of the money. However it is what it is – it is normal for the biggest franchises to have the biggest payroll & the Dodgers are definitely one of the biggest – in many different criteria. The Guggs spent their money to catch up immediately after the austerity of the Mcort era. I think we would have all liked to do it on a smaller budget but it wasn’t to be – 2009 was our last win. So here we are – Mark has mixed feelings but I’m sure that when the fun & games of October begin, there will be no bigger Dodgers flag waver than him.
    Also I absolutely loved the celebrations last night – I would have been in the pool for sure. Can’t believe the fuss – the D’backs would have been better served showing us the warm hand of sportsmanship. Even if they had felt upset surely they would have been better saying nothing because all it looks like now is a bad case of very sour grapes. We are “classless” but I didn’t realise having a swimming pool in your stadium was the height of good taste. What’s it there for if not for jumping in when you have just won the division? Maybe it’s holy water.
    Now we must manage this thing carefully. Hanley should not be risked under any circumstance unless fully fit. Or Kemp or Agon. We should nurse Ethier back – it was a shame about his injury as he was looking as good as he has all season. My real concern is the back end of the Bullpen – Paco & Belly. Maybe rest them for a few days. We do still have a lot of relievers – let them take the strain.
    So – well done everyone – still feels good today.

I can believe the fuss. I live here and am hearing it this morning. They are pissed. They asked the Dodgers to not return to the field. The Dodgers blew off the request. Seemed harmless to me at the time but I get it this morning.

I have to ask W – why should we care about payroll numbers? I was much more upset when the impecunious McDuckbutter was not able to fund scouting and free agent acquisitions. This model is much better and the Dodgers can afford it. Would you be embarrassed to drive a brand new Cadillac into your driveway?

I also feel that we should have not jumped into the pool. But whatever, it was fun and it’s done.

22. Quasimodo says:

Badger, Dbacks used the the excuse of fans safely exiting the park. The fans had exited. I’m very cool with Dodgers taking a swim. Phuck the Dbacks. Them telling Dodgers fans to change gear because they were too often in the camera shot was WAY OUT OF LINE. Like those fans were happy to sport Dback gear. I’m glad the Dbacks didn’t like it. They shouldn’t of let the Dodgers win.

23. SpokaneBob says:

I don’t care about the money. Look at the Angels and how did that work out. For years Gene Autry tried to buy a championship and it didn’t work. The players still have to get the job done. Last night Ethier said that this was the closest group he has every played with. This is a team in every sense of the word. It wasn’t just spending, it was who they spent it on.

Congradulation everyone, I look forward to a very fun October.

24. oldfan60 says:

I don’t often agree with Mark,but a few days ago he hit the nail on the head –calling the “Punto” trade stupid. A trade of our two top pitching prospects for Adrian would be fine. Taking on Beckett and Crawford AND giving top prospects instead of garbage was incredibly stupid.
    I don’t know how to get this stat but I bet you if you look up Crawford’s triple slash line after he came back from the disabled list, you get replacement player. He is untradeable. Beckett is a known clubhouse cancer, one I don’t want around the club.
    I hope the Dodgers are healthy enough during the playoffs to sit Crawford.
    As far as the Dodgers spending tons of $, I don’t like it either but I would feel a lot better if we weren’t paying Beckett and Crawford.

Sums it up nicely I think.

“The Diamondbacks can be whiny twits and the Dodgers can be arrogant jackfaces at the same time. Please, let’s stop the fussin’ and the feudin’ and agree that everyone is wrong and horrible.

And also agree that if it was your team, you’d probably be giggling at this very moment. Because what’s the point of being a sports fan if there isn’t any schadenfreude? It’s all hilarious until it’s happening to you.”

The Dodgers ARE arrogant. The Dbacks ARE whiny. I get why the dbacks, and their fans, are pissed off. Honestly I don’t care that much, but I get it.

old fan… I hope Crawford is healthy enough to ACTUALLY PLAY. He is our best left fielder and one of the few top of the order hitters we have on this team. If he is healthy, he is still a good player. We all agree he is overpaid. Many of them are. But to say a trade is stupid when both teams are celebrating making the playoffs is….. well…. rather stupid.

Sorry – that sounded rude and that wasn’t my intent.

Most of the experts are saying the trade worked for both teams. None of the prospects we gave up are A prospects. Taking on contracts is not a problem for the Dodgers. It was – but not anymore.

26. Bobbie17 says:

The win brought out the hate factor. The price of winning. It’s not as easy as it looks, as we all know. Look at our 2 seasons in 1. Ownership promised to buy an immediate winner. So far, it has. For me, only a WS title will do. Next year the bulls eye will be as big as Dodger Stadium. All this means is that from here on, we have to develop players to keep this going. I think, maybe, the big spending is over for a while. I want to see a couple more minor leaguers make the team out of ST. We bought this title, it’s true; but it still would not have happened without Puig. Except for the middle bullpen and general health issues, this team is built for the playoffs. I am not proud either. It’s not the Dodger way. But it is a start in the right direction.

27. Quasimodo says:

Should we soon be expecting anyone wearing Dodger gear to be unable to gain entry to the games? I’m not concerned with the happiness of their franchise or their fans. Dbacks masked their reasons of safety being the issue same as they masked their poor sportsmanship by giving congrats before calling Dodgers classless. Mooning the Dbacks would of displayed classlessness, but I’d of enjoyed that even more.

It’s getting a little old to me hearing how Donnie is not a good in-game manager. Really!!!!!! Is he making those decisions in a vacuum? Doesn’t he have some pretty experienced coaches around him. Trey Hillman, Tim Wallach, Davy Lopes, Rick Honeycutt, and whomever else I’m forgetting. I doubt if he’s shutting them off and that they can’t get a word in edgewise. For me, the most important function of a manager is to create a winning atmosphere. I think Donnie does that. Like I said in an earlier post, there are things Donnie does that I don’t care for, but I can say that about any manager. Besides, what makes me right?

The pool party? I understand Bloomquist, and I can see that point of view. But really, how one feels about this depends on which side you’re coming from. Besides, intensifying the rivalry is probably good for both teams, i.e., with respect to future ticket sales. Who knows, maybe the result of all this will be the Dodgers putting in a pool at Dodger Stadium. Probably could be money maker.

The talk about THE TRADE should be put to bed. It was good for both teams, and from the Dodgers’ perspective, it helped put them on the map. And if it wasn’t for the lack of spending in the McCourt era, it probably wouldn’t have been necessary, since Prince Fielder would likely have been signed after the 2011 season. And I don’t see anyone complaining about the MONEY spent on Puig. So what would you rather have, a team that is penny wise and pound foolish, or one with a vision to spend to build a championship team that ultimately brings in gobs of revenue to more than make up for the spending? And the people paying the Dodgers for that very large TV contract probably made that deal with the EXPECTATION that the Dodgers would spend to put a winner on the field that would justify the price they’re paying.

Look around. The Dodgers aren’t the only team spending lavishly on players. They’re just paying more now to catch up. But the price tag for the players they’ve been signing has been set by the market, not the Dodgers. And, of course, they’re also spending on player development so that over time they will have their own well-stocked pipeline of young, cheaper talent. We’ve already seen that with Puig. There will be others.

Agree with all of that Brooklyn. We have a few players who likely won’t give us the WAR numbers their contracts dictate, but so what? The contracts are insured so if any of them can’t play the policy kicks in. This team really likes each other! Crawford, by all accounts is a stand-up guy that will, when he plays, give us a positive OPS+. I don’t know if Beckett will be back but if he is, wow, what a staff we could start with. Gonzalez has been a team leader and Punto has proved to be very valuable. It’s going to get better people. The Dodgers ARE BACK!

30. Gonzo says:

“The Dodgers are classless? They’re not following the old school rules.” Says the guy with a swimming pool in his stadium. I bet if the Backs would have handled things more business like on the field throughout the season the Dodgers probably wouldn’t have rubbed it in their faces. Good for them. Oh and Derrick Hall says that “they’re old stadium doesn’t have a pool” it was that old stadium that gave you your shot. and again you want old school rules to apply in a new era stadium.

I still don’t see why you would be upset the Dodgers got to this point Mark. To the owners they are a business just like the one you own. You spend on quality products expecting to get better profit margins than your competition, right? So is it unfair for you to outspend those other companies with better products make more money and recognition?

First homestand that the DBacks are in town I hope we have beach towel night, or better yet pool floaties. This is mere fake controversy from a team who wants to manufacture a rivalry with the Dodgers.
    Being a sore loser is worse than being gloating winner. This team is angry because they blew a 10 game lead in the division and will likely lose by 10+ games. That hurts.
    If you put a hacky feature in your stadium like a pool in the outfield that you invite Hooters girls to, do not be surprised if this happens.
    The Dbacks showed they are first class by:
    1. Threatening to kick out Dodger fans that paid for the suite behind the plate unless they changed out of Dodger gear.
    2. Requesting the Dodgers do not celebrate on the field after the game

Screw them. Its phony controversy from a bitter team.

As for “buying a division”

Lame take Mark. The Dodgers took on cast offs from other teams. They took on their “bad contracts” to buy time. They had to buy time because the so-called prospects we have had all these years were nothing but suspect them whole time. Somehow you forget the year of glowing reviews you have passed along regarding the “talent” Logan White BS’d you about.

Buying a division would be if they went out and signed everyfree agent in an offseason (ala Yankees/2009). We spent big on Zach Grienke. We jumped back into international signings. Not counting the posting fees the Dodgers got good deals on Ryu and Puig.

Buying a championship is a lame, tired take when they signed a huge TV contract. I suppose you would have them just pocket the money?
    Wake up and smell the champagne

33. Quasimodo says:

News Flash! Evidence of Dodgers rookie Yasiel Puig peed in Arizona Diamondbacks pool has surfaced and even worse 3rd baseman Juan Uribe farted making bubbles and proof of that act has been captured by media cameras. Shame, shame, shame!

34. Pete M. says:

Is this Gibson’s personality moving upstream to Diamonback upper mgmt. Also, I gotta hymn for Hall… —- HIM!!!
    Everytime I see old Gibby walking(?) to the mound, I am reminded of and thankful for my surgery years ago to remove bleeding piles….
    On a cheerier note, congrats Blue… Donnie, rest em here and there for a week or so…Lets get ready to rumble…

I find it “classless” that Willie Bloomquist soils his diaper over this. Hey Willie, it isn’t your POOL! If they come over to your house, yeah that’s your pool.
    Dry up your tears, you got your 15 minutes of fame.
    Boo hoo hoo

36. SpokaneBob says:

Quas…… very funny. I hope they did pee
    in the pool.

Ok then, pretty clear where most folks who are Dodger fans stand on this one.

Only two teams have ever celebrated on the dbacks field. It was the Pods last time. The fact that it was the 200 milyun dollar Dodgers made it worse for all snake fans. I officially don’t give a shift anymore. Moving on….

Oh, one more thing – I have been in that park numerous times. The dbacks just won an award for best fan experience and best place to work – there is a list of the awards and to give them their due they do a great job down there. But the pool – very strange. It’s a place to take kids and have a barbecue but does it belong inside a stadium? Most baseball fans say no. The only thing beautiful about it is the occasional bikini clad mom you see down there. Once the game starts nobody pays any attention to it.

38. Quasimodo says:

A total bench lineup for tonight’s game. Okay, cool. I guess.

JV team against a terrible club. But honestly, their first string SHOULD be better than our second team. Are they playing their youngsters?

39. Gonzo says:

Badger, Chase is the stadium that is closest to me so I go watch the Dodgers when they’re in town. I love the fan experience and the friendliness of the employees. Yeah they know how to provide a great experience but this seems to be sour grapes in my opinion.

What pisses me off is that McCain is now making national news for getting pissed off that the Dodgers jumped in the pool. Really!? I’d think there would be a little more on his plate at this time for him to focus on rather than players jumping in a stuoid pool.

And now John McCain chiming in, calling us idiots, etc.

Hell with him too.

Should have dropped a few Baby Ruth candy bars in there for special effects.

42. SpokaneBob says:

Caddyshack!

John McCain lost any respect I had for him years ago. I don’t listen to what he says. If he thinks it will get people to listen he’ll say anything.

McCain needs to concentrate on his video poker game and not worry about pool parties.