Clueless in LA

Predictably, when the Dodgers acquired Michael Young from the Phillies, sides were taken and lines were drawn in the sand.  One side used stats to condemn the deal while the other side used hope as a basis to approve the deal.

I submit to both sides, here and now, that neither side knows what the hell they are talking about!

Statistics don’t play the game and feel good stories seldom hold up.  Oh, you can have an opinion, but when you use stats to prove your point or the fact that Michael Young is a good guy who was once a very good player to prove your point misses the point.

What Michael Young did earlier in his career or the fact that he is a good teammate, or the fact that he is a seasoned professional, or the fact that he speaks fluent Spanish (and can converse with Yasiel Puig), or the fact that he is coming home to California, or the fact that he is likely playing for his last chance for a World Series ring means something, but it doesn’t mean everything.

What the stats say about Michael Young means something, but they don’t mean everything.

It’s silly to get into an argument about whether Michael Young is a good or bad addition to the Dodgers and here’s why:   There is a month left in the season.  What if Juan Uribe, who has been remarkably healthy this year, goes down with an injury?  What if the same happens to Jerry Hairston or even Andre Ethier?  What is Mark Ellis or Nick Punto is injured?  We might be glad to have Young if for no other reason than to fill a seat.

It’s also silly because Bob Rasmussen had no future with the Dodgers and had very little value (think Eric Stults, but not as good).  The Dodgers gave up nothing of value to get Mike Young.

It’s also silly to rely on stats, because while they often prove to be correct predictors of the future, they aren’t always the truth.  For what it is worth, I am going to give you my opinion.

My opinion is that I HAVE NO CLUE, AND NEITHER DO YOU.  Michael Young could continue down the path he has been on the past 2 years and add very little or just be another bat.  However, sometimes “the perfect storm syndrome” can come into play.

Could it be that a good guy comes home, relates to Puig, wants a ring, elevates his game, plays out his a$$ and becomes the Dodgers #2 hitter and third baseman in the playoffs?  It likely won’t happen, but that’s part of the beauty of baseball.   You never know and you have no clue… neither do I!

All in all, it is a good risk because Young is “all in” to just being a bench player.

Labor-Day-12

23 Responses to “Clueless in LA”

1. Bobbie17 says:

He can’t hurt the team, and in the late innings of a tight playoff game, not a bad guy to put up there. I don’t think his WS numbers are very good, though. He has 2300+ hits, and maybe he thinks he has 700 more in him. I hope he gets them with the Dodgers because I have always liked him. One of the best hitters in the game for a number of years.

2. Quasimodo says:

Deals with Phillies, like Marlins, are mob related…..just kidding! Though Colletti does seem to have more skills communicating with selected organizations. I mean, said players are hardly at the top of any wish lists.

3. Bluenose Dodger says:

Any acquisition is a crap shoot. However, what quite often happens is that a player acquired by another team goes into one of the hot streaks. Think – Marco Scutero. Young might not be an everyday player but may get into one of those modes. He is low risk in most if not all respects. He is simply insurance that everyone hopes pays off.

I don’t disasgree with you. Michael Young’s presence is no slam dunk guarantor of anything. He’s probably a good clubhouse presence (for whatever that’s worth), and he is apparently a competent bat to fill-in and pinch hit. His stats for whatever they’re worth, indicated a drop-off in the second half. That may well have to do with the fact that at his advanced baseball age he played in 126 of the Phillies’ 136 games. He won’t get nearly that kind of playing time in LA (barring an injury), so maybe the limited playing time will serve to refresh him. And playing for the playoff bound Dodgers is likely to make for a better mindset and motivation than he had playing for the going nowhere Phillies.

And I also alluded to the fact that he was injury protection in the previous thread.

So quite frankly, I agree, and like you “I HAVE NO CLUE” and neither does anyone else.

I do believe that his addition will help, but in the end it will all have to play out before we really know if he actually did help.

More important that Young is Kemp. And quite frankly, I don’t have a clue how that will play out. He’s currently 0 for 14 in his minor league rehab. But really, that only tells me that he’s still not in synch like he has to be. That stuff could come together in an instant, or not at all. And like I said, I haven’t a clue.

5. dpwtv says:

Of course nobody has a clue. Isn’t that the point of boards like these to offer your opinion on things that haven’t happened yet. We’re just speculating. It’s not the stock market…. it’s baseball.

The injury card is a weak reason to trade for anybody. Why didn’t we sign Daisuke Matzusaka. What happens if Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, and Ryu get hurt. Who will be our starters?

I still don’t think the Young trade was necessary at all… but he’s a Dodger… so I root for him and hope he works out

6. Quasimodo says:

The injury card is hardly a weak reason. This very season demands to take steps for those ‘what if’s?’. Actually its probably the strongest reason. Not hardly necessary as you point out, but it doesn’t hurt to have some insurance. Its only loose change anyways.

There’s your 1 run Kersh.

Have at it!

Rockies announcers (TV) – two on, none out, and after the hit ” . . . off the great Clayton Kershaw . . . ”

Clayton needs to pick up his game. I think Greinke is the Dodgers #1 pitcher now.

In fact, if the post season started today, I go:

Greinke – R
    Kershaw – L
    Nolasco – R

Greinke -R
    Kershaw – L
    Ryu – L
    Nolasco – R

And take it from there . . .

9. Watford Dodger says:

Agree Roger about Nalasco. He’s pitching great.

10. Idaho al says:

I just think there is no down side to the Young deal. It cost us very little to get him and he could help. If he does not, then what have we lost? Nothing.

Young will help.

Donnie, keep going to the pen, until somebody can get some outs . . .

13. dpwtv says:

As long as Young is not starting every day over the better defender Uribe…. I agree. My main concern with this deal has always been that he would be starting every day over Uribe. Now that Don said he will spell 1st and 3rd occassionally and be a pinch hitter off the bench… I’m much more comfortable with this deal. We just need to keep Young off the field as much as possible

Playing in Colorado, and the Rockies have 17 hits so far . . . Clayton gave up 11 in 5 innings, plus 1 walk.

Belly has 0.1 inning so far, and 4 hits.

They keep playing to their competition . . . just play Dodger baseball, or is that it?

We owed Kersh this win. We cost him how many wins this year???

This time, he wasn’t on, and we got the W for him

Should have been his 21st win. He still has an ERA of 1 run less than Greinke.

I think that Michael Young will benefit the team. As Mark points out, we gave up very little if anything and he’s a pretty damn good insurance policy and pinch hitter. Not happy about his at bat today but I am betting once he settles in with the team he will be a great addition.

Kershaw labors, Puig strains his knee and Volquez starts tomorrow.

12.5 game lead, time to start giving guys days off.

Young is better than Hairston and he cost a couple of bucks. It’s a good deal for us.

True, nobody knows what is going to happen, but I did tell you the Dodgers could, and would, win the West. I remain confident.

Young strikes out in his only at bat. Hell I could do that. Matt Kemp 0 for 18 in A ball. I could do that too. Who will be the first one to get a hit? Give me a bat. I like my chances.

You ok Mark? I get the feeling you aren’t all that happy about the Dodgers continued success. Damn bullies. Throwing all that money around, getting all this attention for being so damn good. What kind of message does that send to the kids?

Nyad is not human.

Rest for those who need it. Like me. I’m going to bed.

Was out all day today, and missed the game. Just glad that Withrow is back tomorrow. Coors Field eats up pitching staffs. We need all we can get for the next two days. And Jansen should be off limits tomorrow after pitching 3 consecutive days. Donnie, we have a double digit lead, and then some. No need to stress your closer.

21. bwc1963 says:

Start Kershaw game 1 no discussion but Mattingly needs to make sure Riyu starts at Dodger Stadium as much as possible even if that means moving Greinke’s or Nolasco’s spot(s) in the rotation. Riyu’s ERA at home is almost 2 runs less than on the road.