Are you ready for some playoffs?

I want to throw out the possibility that Andre Ethier might not be 100% for the first round of the playoffs and could possibly sit, making space for Hairston, but I prefer Scott Van Slyke.  I have no inside info on that, but it could happen.  Probably not, but you have to consider it.  I am assuming Andre will be in the lineup, so here is my 25-man roster:

Locks:

20. Wilson
  21. Rodriguez
  22. Belisario
  23. Withrow
  24. Jansen
  25. Volquez

A couple of things jump out:

• No Jerry Hairston, Jr.  – he has sucked for quite some time and SVS delivers power off the bench
  • Dee Gordon is not trusted to field bt Dodger brass  – it’s too much to keep a guy to just pinch run.
  • Marmol deserves it ahead of League, but I think the Dodgers need a long-man in case a game gets out of hand.  Volquez is that guy!  Fife has been decidedly bad of late and Capuano is still hurt.

That’s the roster.  Am I wrong?

fall-sale

58 Responses to “Are you ready for some playoffs?”

1. Watford Dodger says:

Spot on – I picked the same first 24 yesterday. I had Marmol as my last pick – you’ve got Volquez. You have Volquez for emergencies – couldn’t we just use the 4th starter, probably Nalasco if anything crops up? For me Marmol gives us a bit of cover for the struggling Belisario. Definately not Hairston & SVS gives us power from the bench. Being able to run fast is not enough.

Can’t argue with the choices. I do think there will be a time when we wish we had Gordon to pinch run but, point taken.

3. Pete M. says:

It was killing me, but I put Gordon in there and no SVS. Hopefully speed kills…
    I guess I’ll find out about Dre tonite, but he seemed to arm swinging (term back in the day)and favoring the ankle!?!? Maybe just paranoia on my part!?!?

4. Anonymous says:

Tough call Pete. I like the speed availability but SVS, hitting a little over .240 with a HR about every 18 at bats, has a 130 OPS+. Over several games we may need that more than a stolen base. I would like to have both, but with Puntellismaker taking up 3 spots, we have to make tough choices.

5. SpokaneBob says:

I am with you guys when it comes to leaving Hairston off the roster, but I’d bet that Mattingly will keep him. No Scott or Dee unless someone gets hurt.

Well, this doesn’t sound very good.

The Dodgers still have 5 more games after tonight, so things could change. But for now, it seems as if Ethier can’t be counted on 100% for the playoffs.

Mark’s roster above could be pretty much what it is. I know teams generally carry 11 pitchers or more, but I wonder if that’s absolutely necessary, given that we need only 4 starters. That leaves 6 guys in the bullpen. Isn’t that how a regular season often begins, with 11 pitchers, 5 in the rotation and 6 in the pen?

The NLDS schedule is as follows:

Thu, 10/3 – Kershaw
    Fri, 10/4 – Greinke
    Sat, 10/5 – NO GAME
    Sun, 10/6 – Ryu
    Mon, 10/7 – Nolasco (also my birthday)
    Tue, 10/8 – NO GAME
    Wed, 10/9 – Kershaw

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d rather have Gordon’s threat off the bench than the less than consistent or reliable Volquez in my pen. I understand you might want a guy to eat up some innings if things go really bad in a game. But I also understand why having the presence of Gordon’s speed could be more valuable, since that speed will be available for EVERY game, not just one, or maybe two. And also, Gordon has looked a bit better with the bat since his recall, and he’s become more patient at the plate. So he might bring a bit more than speed, and a little something more for the opposing manager to think about. Who knows, maybe the Dodgers will pinch hit one of their other reserves because they know they have an extra player on the bench.

And maybe Greinke is available out of the pen a couple of days after his start. Heck, I know pitchers don’t do those things nowadays, but Koufax shut-out the Twins on two days rest in the 7th game of the 1965 World Series.

I agree with the roster. I bet there will be a surprise or two but I can live with this.

Well let me be the first to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Age nominal???
    As much as I abhor the thought of Volquez, what if we need a long man? A problem that has caused me concern throughout the season. Sure wish we had resigned Jaimie Wright.
    Gordon would be a nice thing to have but he’s one dimensional at the moment, Van Slyke can at least field and do a good Dave Kingman impression.
    Go Brewers and the Nats!

Didn’t spell check my web address and hence not my usual devilish icon.
    How old Brooklyn?

I can see a game where the score is tied, someone like AGon hits a double. And Gordon goes in to run. Then a single — and Gordon scores under a tag. Dodgers win.

With the starting pitching and relief work of the other teams involved in post season, this is a reality.

I see this winning a game over SVS hitting one out in the 8th or 9th at a pinch-hitter.

I’d probably PR Zack or Kersh.
    Sorry Dee but if you could hit,field or throw you would be a lock.

Which reminds me, sorry Mark if I missed your BD, I remember how you mentioned it coming up awhile back, blow out the candles and make a wish

12. Anonymous says:

10-7.

That means “checking out”.

As much as I love speed in the lineup, I see that 130 OPS+ by SVS’s name and I can’t ignore it. If we could field 8 other guys who gave us that, with our pitching I think we roll through the playoffs.

I’m sure you can all do the math. I was born in the first year of the baby boom.

From what I’ve read, Mattingly is probably going to go with 11 pitchers. So that cuts my number of position players. With 10 pitchers then we got both SVS and Gordon. Probably not so with 11 pitchers. And for those calling Gordon one-dimensional, exactly what do you think SVS is? Good power, .240 hitter, and ordinary at best on defense. And Volquez? What trust does anyone have in him? Maybe in time he will find himself. Anything is possible, but I wouldn’t bet that now is that time.

However, in the end this is all a crapshoot. Good and bad things can come from all kinds of unexpected places. I’m just holding my breath and hope that the Dodgers win. More important than any roster picks is the health of this team. Everybody needs to remain healthy, and Matt Kemp needs to return to form.

14. Gionfriddo says:

Marmol’s ERA in Blue is down to 2.79 in 19 inn… he can implode @ at any moment but he can still garner more K’s than Volquez in a tight situation– Marmol makes it.

Dave Roberts— ’04 Red Sox… ALCS vs. Yankees— ENOUGH said… Gordon makes it; Van Stash spectates……

15. Anonymous says:

if the dodger win the W/S do the 40 man roster get a ring.or just the 25.some one let me know.

16. 70-80kidfan says:

What do you think, half game with puig left if he is hot leave him in and switch out who is struggling I think this gives us more power either is a clutch hitter

It’s fun hearing those idiots up north yelling “Beat LA” and then not beating LA..

suck it losers!

Even if Andre Ethier is left off the first round roster, Dee Gordon has no chance of making the roster – the Dodgers don\’t trust him!

Cardinals and Dodgers win scoring 2, Braves win scoring 3. I got a feeling that is what the NL Playoffs will look like. We can win the low scoring games. But so can they.

If Dee Gordon has no chance of making this roster, then he needs to go in the off season. Some team out there will take that talent and do something with it. What he needs is 600 plate appearances for maybe 2 years in a row and that man will figure it out. That’s my opinion and I am sticking with it.

Tony taking some heat for a “story that didn’t need to be told”. Anyone have an opinion on that?

20. Watford Dodger says:

I really hope the Dodgers sign Wilson for next season – he was electric last night.
    He can share the set up duties with Belisario. Problem would be what to do with League and his albatross of a contract. Great to see Kemp & Crawford hitting well – maybe we will have to go with those two & Puig for the 1st round as Ethier is still struggling. Big game for Nalasco tonight with post season in mind & looking to next season. Once again – how many Dodger’s fans were in AT&T last night?

21. Quasimodo says:

I’m guessing you’re inquiring for an opinion on the pool peeing story, Badger. My opinion is, something I made up in jest was taken seriously by those looking to be offended had caught fire and gained momentum to a point of now notoriety. I wish I never said something so stupid. I thought it was too stupid too be taken seriously, even though I spoke of it as a fact. My only apology should go towards Dodgers. Tony is a very reputable writer who got some false news from a grapevine. If I wasn’t at the bottom of all this noise I’d think it funny. Even if one of the Dodgers was overheard saying he peed in the pool, I still wouldn’t believe it. And if it happened for fact, I’d think it funny and I hope this noise caused the pool being drained scrubbed and filled with new water. Geez, NO DODGERS PEED IN THEIR POOL.

Uh, don’t believe Tony is using your fertile mind as his source. Maybe he should get his info from here, but it came from a player. And I believe players DID pee in that pool and then bragged to somebody about it. It was actually talked about on a few national tv shows. Maybe I should just allow this unfortunate event to disappear into the background.

22. Watford Dodger says:

Quas ‘Poolgate’ was a bit of fun. It’s a non story that will never be proved one way or another. Hope it stirs the Dbags up for next year as always better to watch a game with a bit of needle. Good job agent Quas.

It was fun for those engaged but it was rather sophomoric and to brag about peering in a public pool (the public do use it) is moronic. Hopefully the media drops it quickly.

23. Bobbie17 says:

I think management has lost confidence in Paco. Wilson is to go-to guy now. I hope he is on the roster because he deserves to be, but his performance lately doesn’t give me a lot of confidence either.

24. Watford Dodger says:

B17 I think you are right. Wilson has perhaps moved ahead of Paco & Belisario in Donnie’s eyes. I know you are a big fan so rest assured he will have a big role to play in the play offs nonetheless.

25. Anonymous says:

i quess if your a no body..they dont answer you back..thaks guys

26. Anonymous says:

You’re welcome nobody! We’re not here for you so you know whatever it is, you can’t count on us! ;)

I don’t know about the 40 man but my guess is they might get something, but only so many players get rings. You gotta be an equipment manager or travel secretary or team masseurs to get rings.

As for half games, I might go 3 ab’s with some guys but not with Puig. We don’t have that many guys who can go yard any time. I leave him in. My outfield for the playoffs is Crawford, Kemp and Puig. Sorry Andre.

27. Quasimodo says:

Everybody who played in the season gets a ring.

I upgraded to ios 7, and have no problems. But I have a friend who’s complained. But then again, he’s computer illiterate. It’s new, so maybe you just have to get used to it. Us old guys (SMILE) are creatures of habit, and sometimes have trouble when things change. Maybe this will help, maybe not.

“Dee Gordon has no chance of making the roster – the Dodgers don\’t trust him!” I think that comment probably needs to be qualified. I am certain they don’t trust him at short, but the basepaths are a whole other matter. I suspect they even think he has a chance with the bat, since he’s become more reliable getting on base. Maybe (and I said “maybe”) they might even trust him to play a little second base if necessary.

And I’m not so sure the Dodgers trust SVS very much, especially against the kind of good pitching he would face in the playoffs. He’s big, he’s strong, and he’s not all that good of a hitter, nor much of a defender.

I really don’t care about the pool party. And I’m not worried about the public using it even if the Dodgers did relieve themselves there. I’m sure that that happens when the fans use it, and I’m sure the D-Backs sanitize the thing everyday. I’m sure it its cleaned and the water is changed daily, and I’m sure they must use chlorine or whatever else is used to sanitize pools.

29. Quasimodo says:

I think Gordon will likely get on the 25 roster. I also think its a good idea that he is. But for one role only. Its clear he won’t start any games, but his speed may be essentially needed in the grind where he’d be the best choice and chance late in a close game.

I’m working on it Brooklyn. You get used to one thing and suddenly it’s different. It’s like continually going to school, without a teacher.

How many hitters on this team have an OPS over .800? …..well not many and SVS is one of them. Gonna be hard for Donnie to leave that stat off the roster. Is Van Slyke ready to clobber the great post season pitching he will see? Somehow I doubt it. Speed never slumps. Advantage Gordon.

31. Gonzo says:

I actually like the ios 7.

I have two friends and a wife that don’t. Now I have two friends who do. Don’ts lead 4 to 2.

Game on national tv tonight. Aight then…..

I’m guessing arguments could be made for and against both Gordon and SVS. In thinking about our most likely opponent, the Cardinals, w/o looking it up, I recall that their pitching staff (starters and pen) is predominantly righthanded. If so, that argues for Gordon. Correct me if I’m wrong.

B17, maybe I’m dead wrong, but I can’t conceive of Paco not being on the roster. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I doubt if Mattingly wants to go into this thing with only one lefty in the pen. Paco is seeing very little work now, I believe, to get him strong for the postseason. I suspect he’ll get a little work in these last 5 games, but not whole lot.

34. Quasimodo says:

Paco will most definitely be on post season roster. He’s even considered a star.

35. Quasimodo says:

Cardinals took the NL lead. Dodgers may play Braves in the 1st round.

Looking more and more like Ethier won’t be available for the NLDS.

If that leaves it between SVS, Gordon and Hairston, for me it’s a no brainer. Hairston becomes the odd man out. But that’s only me thinking.

Crawford swinging at a first pitch curve. Why? Puig limping.

Puig should have caught that ball but a #8 hitter clubbing one that far with the bases loaded? Nolasco better tighten up.

39. Voldomer says:

Add me to the “doesn’t like it” column. I like some of the extra features but wish they had left the stuff that already worked well as it was. I don’t care for the flat look of the icons either.

That said, my almost-teen daughter loves it.

Techies prolly love it. The music addition is cool but I already have my own stuff and Pandora. I’m stuck with it so I’ll keep reading and hopefully learning. Agree about the flat look and using Google is awkward for me.

Nolasco working his way off this roster. He makes too many mistakes up and over the plate.

40. Rob says:

Nolasco seems to give up that big hit a lot lately.

Indeed Rob. He misses up and over the plate. You just can’t do that in the bigs. I’d rather he bounced the ball.

If Hairston makes the post season roster I’m gonna throw up.

42. Rob says:

With a BA just barely over the Mendoza line Hairston should not make the post season roster.

43. Rob says:

I am all for resting our players for the postseason but we have an opportunity to get the #2 seed. It looks like we will play Atlanta and they are almost unbeatable at home.

44. Watford Dodger says:

Pleased that we may play Atlanta. They like us are limping into the post season. Let someone else battle the Cards.

Meanwhile a Dodger fan is killed after the game a few blocks from ATT Park after an altercation with another group.

No word yet on if the fight was strictly because he was a Dodger fan, and whether by Giant fans, or if another reason.

Either way, it’s absurd.

Agree. Absurd. People are snapping all over the country.

Cano “wants” 10 years 305 million. In other words he wants to make over 30 million a year for about 5 more years after he can’t really hit any more. Good luck with that – Robinson Crusoe. With those demands you won’t be working anywhere. Even the Yankees aren’t that stupid. If I were the Dodgers I wouldn’t even talk to him. His best years are behind him.

McCann anyone?

I really don’t care what Atlanta has done at home this year. I remember the Dodgers losing 10 of 11 to the Mets in 1988 and then beating them in the postseason. Besides, I just looked, and this month Atlanta hasn’t done all that well at home. September 13-15 they lost 2 of 3 to the Padres at home, and September 23-25 they also lost 2 of 3 to the Brewers at home.

Cardinals are scary, especially now with this kid Michael Wacha coming on the scene. The way the Dodgers are hitting, the last thing they need to face is quality pitching. Can’t avoid it in the playoffs, but I’d like to avoid as much of it as possible.

McCann? Maybe. Certainly worth it for the Dodgers to kick those tires.

Cano for $305 million? Don’t think that’s happening. I’m not even sure the Dodgers will even be kicking his tires. There’s a lot of ways that $305 million can be spread around to make the Dodgers stronger in several areas. Even at the lesser price that he’s ultimately going to accept, I don’t think the Dodgers will be major players in the Cano sweepstakes.

49. Quasimodo says:

When Brian Wilson was greeted with more cheers than boo’s at AT&T they showed more class than I thought they were capable of. I’ll have to keep that in mind and not classify all Giants fans in the same category as the ones that victimized that Dodgers fan last night. I’m sure the real S.F. fans feel the shame like we do with Brian Stow’s attackers. What a phuckin shame!

50. Watford Dodger says: