This is a crazy game

I couldn’t help but observe the following last night:

• The Dodgers had only three extra-base hits and 15 singles to plate 13 runs.
  • The Cards scored four runs but didn’t have an extra base hit.
  • A Catcher was Pitching to a Pitcher in the 9th inning and looked like the best pitcher of the night for the Cards.
  • If Carl Crawford can get on base like that, the Dodgers are hard to beat.
  • Yasiel Puig is evolving and becoming selective at the plate, which will make him great.
  • Dee Gordon shows a nice bat and lack of concentration again in the field.
  • Hanley is getting close and it looks to me like Kemp is a couple of weeks away.
  • It’s painful to watch Carlos Marmol pitch… really painful.
  • The Dodgers can’t keep Marmol and League – Marmol will be the odd-man-out when Brian Wilson is activated.
  • I really like Fed-Ex – he’s going to hit more than most people think.
  • I hope Shelby Miller is OK… except when he faces the Dodgers.  If he had pitched, the Dodgers would have had a hard time – he’s tough!
  • Thanks for the kind words yesterday, but I’m not going away yet.   I’m opting for more quality and less quantity, but I’ll leave the forum for everyone to converse.
  • Tony Jackson is going to add a lot to the Dodger Community.
  • From 12 games under .500 to 13 games over – what a ride!
  • Corey Seager has moved Darnell Sweeney to 2B as he has taken over at SS at Rancho.  He’s hitting .231 – he was off to a slow start at GL and then figured it out.  I look for that break out there soon as well.
  • Brian Wilson was lights out last night at Rancho.
  • Aaron Miller has 7 HR at GL  after switching from pitching.  He has a long way to go, but I’m pulling for him.
  • Arash Markazi of ESPN/LA has a nice piece about the Dodgers Clubhouse – it sounds like a bunch of guys having fun… and that’s a good thing.
  • I’d like to see Ryu go 7 strong innings today.  Let’s take this series.
  • From Indianapolis (Pirates AAA Affiliate):
    • IDJ2 – .328 BA, .385 OB% as a part-time player
    • Lucas May – .207 BA as a part-time player
    • Jerry Sands – .216 BA… another part timers
    • Andrew Lambo – .282 BA, .344 OB%, 17 HR, 48 RBI… very hot after a slow start

World

51 Responses to “This is a crazy game”

1. Anonymous says:

Yeah, if Miller had stayed in there, their 4 runs just might have been enough. Oh well, not gonna feel sorry for the Cards.

Why doesn’t Tony just do what others do – put up some adds on his site. He tried this before and it didn’t fly. I know he needs to make a living, but charging for a blog seems a bit strange. I might send him a check for the first year just to check it out. He’s a good guy, and a fine writer.

I thought I saw some progress in Marmol last night. He only walked one. If he can just throw strikes, he can still get people out. And if Withrow can find the corners instead of belt high over the middle he too can get people out.

Crawford might be getting warmed up. And if FedX can hit a solid .270 he is valuable.

Dee Gordon looked better, but it’s my opinion his swing is still too long. Choke up, or go with a shorter bat and turn quickly to the ball. If that kid ever learns how to square up a ball, he could easily hit .280. But so far it just looks like a pop up or a chopper. We could sure use his speed in this lineup. Speaking of that, why is Puig still hitting behind Gonzalez. Even the announcers had a laugh about that one.

This team could flat out rake to the finish if Kemp and Ramirez get back healthy for the final 6 weeks. I know nobody in the NL wants to see that. I can’t wait. Please, baseball gods, allow us that, even if it’s only for a couple of months.

Still possible Guerrero signing with us. When will that be cleared up? Good to hear Wilson is throwing well, but lights out in Rancho doesn’t mean much. It means he is throwing strikes, which is a good thing, but, what does the gun say and is there movement on his pitches? You know, when you look at the whole picture, this organization has an amazing collection of arms on the team and in the pipeline. Things are shaping up.

I remain very confident.

2. the truth hurts says:

Kemp and Ramirez, let them heal, we seem to be doing ok so far. And I agree (Badger?), the baseball gods might be allowing this to all come together in the end which is FINE with me! ;) Better than at the beginning! A September early Christmas present of Kemp/Ramirez/Wilson, not to shabby for the stretch run.

Crawford is looking better and maybe Dee shows us some more while he is here.

Mark, you can’t shut this site down. What makes this site so great is the sense of community. The other sites are informative but you can’t interact with them because there are a million posters. Your just a fly on the wall. The interaction on this site is what makes it so great. Probably why I have been coming here first for the last ten years? Geez, I’m not really sure, a long time though. Anyways, LADODGERTALK will remain #1 to me.

Yeah, that anon was me.

Just signed on to scribe. I’ll see how it flies over there. Tony does have access.

4. Quasimodo says:

I really admire Cardinals fans. That franchise has fans who are the best example of being ‘good sports’ in the game. I really hope Loney gets shown an equal greeting at Dodger Stadium as Schumaker did at Busch Stadium. I think that’s likely but I’m cool with Dodgers fans not cheering Loney when he knocks runners in – like Cards fans did for Skip. Its all been good news so far for Shelby Miller – he might make his next scheduled start.

5. Quasimodo says:

It does sound like he’s in the know and getting that 1st hand. A pay wall should eliminate certain pollution that several other sites have so much of. (geez, I hope I’m not viewed in that category) But its hard to envision how ‘Tony’s’ site will be better than Mark’s. If its as successful as he’s hoping then its community will likely be too big and lose the appeal that this site offers for free.

1. Right now, I do not plan to close this site;

2. Tony will be RIGHT THERE traveling with the team, so he will be able to tell us stuff you can’t get other places; and

3. Tony has been doing this for a long-time – he’s a professional and knows where to get what.

Get it? Got it? Good!

His site will be the first I go to every day.

Tony is a good writer, and that is important. But I refer you to MSTI to see how a site can get silly in a hurry, even with a good writer doing the initiating. This place has content with nearly every post and that is something we have had since the early LA Times site days. A few of those guys did not show up here when Mark started this site, but they are still around. wreckingcrew (wrecks) started his own site but it’s really quiet. I invited him over here, but he didn’t come because he knew OD was circling. Our token midget fan, Venice Glen, became a good friend and is a baseball junkie just rooting for the wrong team.

So, I will see how it manifests over there. Last I looked he already had over 60 posts suggesting a strong following. I will support his efforts if the site doesn’t get stupid. The guy needs to make a living. I would advise him to sell ads to guys like Mark. We have had US Water ads all over this site and nobody seems to mind. I am so used to ads on the perimeter of everywhere I go so it won’t bother me a bit.

In the mean time, I come here first. Still want to know what is going on with Guerrero. Nothing new on it for a couple of weeks. What’s the hold up? I want to see if that kid can hit ML pitching.

Badger,

Your boy Mark \”A Hole as Big as a Barn in my Swing\” Reynolds is available.

Didn’t see this when I posted below.

I still like him. He hits the ball as hard as anyone in baseball. He just doesn’t hit it that often anymore.

I wonder if McGwire could reach Mark Reynolds. I watched him every day in Arizona when he was just crushing the ball. I have no idea what happened but, if he could get it back to .250 with a .333 OBP, he could be a huge run producer.

10. Quasimodo says:

I just posted an unfair question at Dodgerscribe asking if Tony would disclose facts different than some misleading info Dodgers have given. Its surely an unfair question as him doing so could be harmful to him receiving future inside info. But still I want to see how its addressed.

Quieted down quickly over there.

I see we did not claim Young. Not really surprised about that. The rumor I tried to start fell flat. We may not need much if Hanley and Matt are ok.

12. Gionfriddo says:

Our LF appears to me to be old & somewhat out of shape; hell, downright old @ times..
    Crawford’s last 15 games… .415 clip (27-65).– .293 avg to date..
    He will never be the Crawford of 5 yrs ago but when healthy like he is now, he’s still an elite LF.

Badger,

I talked to Tony today – he added about 300 Twitter followers yesterday!

Quas,

It’s a fine line that Tony walks – if he spills the beans on something he was told in confidence, he will never get any more inside information. On the other hand, he wants to be relevant.

A few years ago, I did an interview with Logan White where he got on me for being unfair in criticizing Jon Broxton, but after the interview, he said this “He’s a second-tier closer.” I waited until Brox was gone until I disclosed that.

All the writers knew that Andrew Lambo was a pothead, but it was never actually articulated.

Tony is going to try and be different. He’s the antithesis of corporate! He needs 5,000 subscribers to break even.

He could work for many other teams – here’s the deal: He loves the Dodgers!

Did White tell you that before or after Torre overused Broxton against his old team? And did you bother to look a Broxton’s numbers since Torre f’d him up? He may not still be a closer, but he did a fine job of it for someone else. And he maintained an OPS+ of way over 100 after he left LA. The reason I point this out is because you always make White out to be a freakin genius and I don’t see like that.

• Quasimodo says:

I know Mark. Its not too often that I’ll meanly try to trap anybody. I know I was not playing fair.

But how long can he sustain it?

5,000? Times $30?

Does he get nothing for traveling with Dodgers? If so, how in world can he do it? And another question – WHY does he do it? We all love the Dodgers. But unless you are a trust fund baby, the idea of following them on your own dime seems wildly capricious.

Yep.

And Puig should hitting either right in front of him or right behind him. Puig hitting 4th would be fine if Kemp was hitting 3rd. As long as Gonzalez is hitting singles, and I hope he hits three a game, Puig will not be able to run. You think maybe that is exactly the reason Donnie does this?

Badger,

Tony won’t travel with the Dodgers, but he will travel on his own. He pays all of his own expenses. He has saved some money and he hopes he can make some money.

Logan is a very smart guy and talent evaluator – he has not always been able to pick the guys he wants. He can now.

He’s old school, but that’s not bad.

He’s also bigger than me and he’ll beat the hell out of you!

;)

17. They should flip flop Puig and Gonzo because Gonzo is very slow, and its better to have Puig on base in front of Gonzo and Hanley to drive in.

$75K salary – $75 K expenses.

Will he get 5,000? That seems a bit optimistic to me. What do I know.

Wait, I know this, we could have used Broxton’s 169, 184 and 151 OPS+ years after he left us. White had that one wrong. And there are a few years of drafts that basically came up empty. Maybe he gets it turned around now that some money is being put into scouting.

19. jerry says:

seem like i said that about puig and gonz a couple of days ago ..and go no responce,s back.then some one else bring it up ..and there is all kind s of responces ..seem like it the same people responding back a forth…

It’s been said a few times jerry. Seems obvious to me UNLESS……Donnie is doing it deliberately to throw a rope around Puig. Thoughts?

20. Nah, I think he just does it because Gonzo is such a consistent hitter. especially with Hanley and Kemp out. Ive heard him say that.

Yeah, you’re probably right. But, I would keep Gonzo in the RBI hole, which comes AFTER your .433 OBP guy. Oh well. It’s often comical but we are winning.

Wow, did Ethier screw up that play — and the game.

The bobble and the soft toss to no one.

22. That was bizzare the throw hit the bag

23. the truth hurts says:

And to think I was worried about this series without Hanley?

These bums are getting it done!

As Mark would say, “Junkyard Dogs”

This is ridiculous.

Jimmy Rollins anybody? Or would that bring out bad Hanley?

The radio team was just saying that since 2006, under Rick Honeycutt, the Dodgers lead all MLB in ERA.

That was a very unexpected stat to hear! Props to Honey for that one

I would say no to Rollins Bill. Unless of course they are prevaricating regarding Hanley. The positions for an offensive upgrade remain 2nd and 3rd.

The Dodgers have some pretty good pitching, don’t you think?

27. Quasimodo says:

Giants back 13. Defending world chumps.

Wouldn’t that upgrade 3rd is Jimmy play SS and Hanley moved to 3rd?

29. Quasimodo says:

The one thing I wouldn’t do is give any clue to HamRam that SS can be improved. He’s proud of the job he’s doing. And so am I.

30. Quasimodo says:

When Hanley approaches the plate with a smile its like Josey Wales spittin tobacco juice. (or Clint Eastwood as him) And big things happen. Hanley loves L.A. Also loves SS.

I agree Quas, If I was management and wanted Jimmy, I would call Hanley into the office and ask him if he was up for improving the team and get his thoughts on getting Jimmy Rollins. Maybe Rollins can play 3rd if Hanley didn’t volunteer. I’m not a fan of Uribe. Rollins could also make sense by being an insurance policy for the SS position if Hanleys shoulder continues to act up. Just a thought and wanted some takes on this subject.

Uribe is having a better year than Rollins.

If Hanley doesn’t come back something might be done. The Dodgers will cross that bridge when they come to it. It would be a blow to be forced to replace him.

It would appear the Dodgers have made a conscious decision to move forward as is. They must be confident that both Ramirez and Kemp will return.

A lot of “welcome back Tony!” over at scribe but no Dodger talk yet. I’m still reserving judgment.

And nothing yet on Guerrero. It was announced several days ago we had signed him. I still believe he may be the reason we did upgrade any infield positions.

Good Point Badger.

36. Theyre not signing Guerrero and are unleikly to anytime soon. Theyre not getting Rollins, or any other veteran on Waivers. Theyre not getting anyone. Theyre winning. There is no reason to mess with the winning chemistry. If it aint broke dont fix it. This is the roster moving forward. When Wilson is ready theyll probably DFA Marmol but that’s the only change you will see.