These are REALLY Destiny’s Dodgers!

A few days ago I said:

“The only thing that can stop the Dodgers from winning their first World Series since 1988 is catastrophic injury.”

Turns out Las Vegas thinks so too and the Dodgers are now 5-1 favorites to win the World Series!

When Hanley Ranirez was hurt, I told you I couldn’t imagine his injury was serious because the fall wasn’t that bad.  I felt it just had to be a stain.  Well, it was and Hanley is back with a vengeance.   Not only are the Dodgers going to have to pony up big for Clayton Kershaw ($250-$300 mil), but Hanley is going to want a new deal in the vicinity of $175 mil.  Hanley is currently the best player on the team.

This team just won’t be denied.  I have never seen anything like it in my short life.  Kershaw is the Ace, but Greinke and Ryu are pitching like ones.  Someone different is stepping up every night and when they have to, they resort to junkyard dogism.  When Matt Kemp comes back, this team will be scary good.  Even Juan Uribe is doing a credible job, and Mark Ellis has a higher BA than Chase Utley.  I’d like to keep Mark Ellis next year, if only as a sub.  He does far more than the stats indicate.

Adding SVS was a no-brainer, but who goes down on Sunday when the Beach Boy is activated?  That’s going to be a tough one… probably SVS unless Andre goes to the DL.

I’ve said it before, but these are REALLY Destiny’s Dodgers!

Earth-Covered-70

43 Responses to “These are REALLY Destiny’s Dodgers!”

Kinda going unnoticed, with all of the hoopla, is Mr. Puig. 2 RBIs in the last 10 games. Zero HRs in that same time frame.

His glove/arm is still there — but the league has caught up to him, pitching wise. Now he is just like most other players.

Hanley is the man. Hope his shoulder/arm is back.

Phillies look like a mess.

Do you think anybody said anything to Hanley about that tag when all he had to do was step on the base? I loved Zachs reaction, WTF!!
    Like Quas mentioned in the previous post, sure is quiet in here. He’s right, I like the team know we’re going to win and the only time I have any doubt is when Cappy is on the hill. Wouldn’t mind we give him a 2 week vacation, for say; anxiety and call up Fife[ do they call him Barney?].
    As to who goes down when Blackbeard is activated, just hope it isn’t Withrow. If it was a position player we would be a man short on the bench but with all the indecisions about injuries and the DL Don has played with that hand for much of the year.
    Oh what to do?

Just win Baby

3. Pete M. says:

Yep, that inning was Brainfart 101 for HanRam…Damn I’m glad my leader is back though, with his shoulders looking loose.
    As usual, the money always makes me spit up a little in the back of my throat, but is Zack G. a great pickup… A joy to watch and a helluva athlete…

I don’t want to throw any rain on this parade, but like I said in an earlier post, you only really know about destiny AFTER the fact. Let’s see, were the midgets the Las Vegas favorite last year? In 2010? I take that stuff with a high degree of skepticism. Or more simply, I don’t take it seriously.

I’m not comparing this team to the 2007 Rockies (this Dodger team is a lot better), but still, that team rolled into the World Series having won 21 of their previous 22 games, which included a wild card tie breaker vs. the Padres, a 3 game sweep of the Phillies in the NLDS, and a 4 game sweep of the D-Backs in the NLCS. They then proceeded to get swept themselves in the World Series by the Red Sox. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. You’re never as good as you look when you’re at your best, and never as bad as you look when you’re at your worst. Or as I’ve also said before, don’t count your chickens until they hatch.

I love this Dodgers team, and think they can get even better if everyone is fully healthy and performing at their best. And that includes Matt Kemp. But we can’t know now if everyone will be fully healthy, and even if so, whether they will perform at their highest level. Sorry, but I’m confident, and fully aware that that’s not the same thing as the reality of winning. So I’ll just wait to see whether or not enough of those chickens actually hatch.
    Nothing will be given to the Dodgers. They’ll have to earn it.

And I say the above even though I was one of those who never gave up hope when the Dodgers were mired in last place, and well below .500. I try not to get caught up in emotional highs and lows. We experienced the low earlier this season, and now we’re in the midst of a high. For me, the Dodgers are a very good team, and something in-between those extremes (but closer to the high than they are to the low).

And if the Dodgers win a championship (and I think they definitely can) it will be because a lot of things fall into place between now and October, not because of any inevitability or destiny.

Mark, you said that, “When Hanley Ranirez was hurt, I told you I couldn’t imagine his injury was serious because the fall wasn’t that bad.” Well we all hoped it wasn’t that bad, but nobody could know the extent of the injury by looking at that footage. When Hanley fell over that fence he was out of our sight. There is no way for anyone to judge exactly what his shoulder hit, and exactly how hard or how awkwardly. And we don’t even know if that issue is over with. This from Ken Gurnick’s article on the Dodger website regarding last night’s win. “Ramirez…didn’t deny that the sore right shoulder has bothered his swing, as well as his throws.” ‘I don’t want to think about it,’ he said. ‘I’ve got to to stay positive. This team needs me in the lineup, that’s what the guys tell me, they support me and I’m going to die on the field for this team and for the fans of the city.’ Sounds to me like a guy that is still hurting (how much I don’t really know), but who is willing to suck it up as long as he can. Question is, how long can he? If the shoulder is continuing to get better, then maybe he can do it indefinitely. If not, circumstances could still force him out of the lineup.

Again, I’m confident, but nothing is written in stone.

Destiny’s Dodgers? Wish you hadn’t said that Mark. It’s been the kiss of death for years.

Ellis and Utley? Please. Not even close. I too am pleased with Ellis, but anyone who wouldn’t make that trade is nuts. Utley has an OPS+ of 130 and is younger. I’d have preferred both, but Utley made his choice. Who knows what will happen but I suspect the Phil’s will be back.

I agree with what Brooklyn just said. I am not at all convinced that Ramirez is 100%. And I am not convinced Kemp will ever be 100% this year. I still believe it will be our pitching that propels us to whatever our future holds.

Looks like my memory may have not served in the previous thread when I questioned why Jansen was used last night.

According to a chart in MSTI, Jansen was not used three days in a row as I had thought.

Jansen was used only on Monday and Tuesday. However, I do remember that he was throwing in the pen on Wednesday.

Withrow was last used on Wednesday, but threw 37 pitches. He was also used last Sunday, when he threw 30 pitches.

The only pitcher who pitched on Wednesday that was used last night was Paco Rodriguez. So I’ll take back my criticism.

7. Bobbie17 says:

Something is going on with Paco. He is not as dominant as he has been. I wonder if the work load is getting to him. Keep an eye on him because if he loses the edge, it will affect the entire bullpen.

Just checked his game logs Bobbie. Not sure I see what you’re referring to. This month is nothing but H’s W’s and a S. 9 Ks in 8 innings. He is used regularly that’s for sure and he is young. Hopefully the Dodgers will protect him.

It’s my opinion that Mattingly has come a long way in handling the bullpen. As you know, I was critic early in the year but, no longer. The pen has become a team strength. And it just might get stronger.

• Bobby says:

Actually with Paco, it’s not the numbers. He’s just been hit harder.

A few days ago, he came in, and the guy hit a shot off of him that Puig tracked down in deep right center. He got the out, but boy did he get lucky.

Before that, some leftie pulled one hard, but just pulled it foul, otherwise it was a HR.

B17 is right; Paco isnt the same. But good thing is, we have time to figure it out.

Meanwhile, Mark said something I keep forgetting about. We all know Kersh is due for an extension. But sometimes we forget that Hanely will be too, after next season. a 5 year, 100mil plus deal is what he will require. This only adds to my belief that we don’t need to go pay another 25mil for Cano.

8. Quasimodo says:

Something’s gotta give. Yeah, movie title. And though the schedule ahead looks fairly soft, Murphy could show up when he’s least expected. I’m not saying when he will or which side he’ll be on, but .800+ is something we shouldn’t get to used to……..800+ usually has a much shorter shelf life. Dodgers have stepped above ALL AL teams and closing in quickly on the NL leader. .800+ got us to where division belongs to the Dodgers.

9. Gionfriddo says:

Brooklyn,

Your post was spot on & exactly how I view the remaining 41 games & subsequent playoff games. DESTINY is reserved for AFTER you’ve sprayed the champagne. ….

10. You said it Mark, a team of destiny. Im guessing Van Slyke may be sent back down too, probably because they just wanted to use SVS for the Philly series because of the two lefties going against the Dodgers. Cheers guys!

You may only know destiny AFTER you see it, but I know it BEFORE I see it.

I\’ve said it before with wishful thinking, but now I believe it.

When you see the invisible, you can do the impossible and these guys see the trophy!

Book \’em!

;)

Some things are not that difficult to predict. I could give you several examples, but, I would just incur the ire of certain posters so – I’ll stick to baseball, which is impossible to predict. That’s what makes it so damn entertaining.

The Dodgers will, as SOME of us believed they would, will win the West. After that, who the ef knows?! But it’s going to be one helluva ride.

One more opinion – what the Phillies did to Manuel was classless and it was flat out wrong!

When they were 30-42 you believed?

Agreed!

16. Reggie says:

I guess that proves Badger is delusional. Even Colletti and Kasten doubted.

OK, I think I know what you’re saying. I don’t believe it’s true, but I see what you’re getting at.

They made no panic moves (fire Mattingly) and they waited patiently to get the first team players back on the field. The ” doubters” were right here – and in other chat rooms.

Well nobody is an .800 team, but I figured them to be a .600 team and .600 the rest of the way obviously gets it done.

Phillies going nowhere this year. If they wanted to make the move to Sandberg it could have easily been done in the off season. Manuel deserved better. I wonder what the fans are saying? I am by no means a Phillies fan but I recognize a butt chump move when I see it. Amaro should be ashamed of himself.

17. Quasimodo says:

Totally agree, Badger. He had given so much and he was in the last year of his contract. Hope it pisses off their fans.

18. Bball says:

Agree badger they were actually supposed to honor him yesterday. Some honor huh. The real problem with that organization is Ruben Amaro. When you no your out of it 90% of the time you have to sell. Young, Utley, Rollins, papelbon etc. etc. if I was a fan I would understand them trading away. They are obviously to old. You never know though, maybe Charlie wanted out and I’m sure if he still does want to manage the nationals will swoop him up.

19. Quasimodo says:

Yeah, we knew good baseball was ahead, but a turnaround of this unbelievable magnitude from 12 under .500 to where Dodgers are now??? If April and May didn’t grow any doubts you weren’t watching the games. Its still a mystery how they played so bad. The same way it a mystery why Kershaw is 88th of 91 for run support, or was before his last game. I just hope the mystery’s are solved and the team keeps up the wonder play.

Doesn’t matter what any of us think, or predict. When in the end it’s all over, there will be a logical explanation (maybe several) for everything. There always is. 20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

21. Quasimodo says:

Wow, I didn’t know Kershaw has never beaten the Phillies. Shocking!

iPhone seems to place a response where it wants to. Have to be more careful about that. Had computer problems all day.

Kershaw getting his Phillies
    beatin’ possibility tonight. Looks like the Dodger offense went back to sleep on him.

Everyone has 20/20 hindsight. But those in here know where they were when the Dodgers were struggling. If you have been around long enough, you see pretty much everything. It’s just silly to give up in May – which many did. It’s a lllloooonnnnggg season.

League. Easy peasy.

Kershaw – the best in the league.

24. Quasimodo says:

Tied 2nd in all MLB.

Yes. “League. Easy peasy.”
    No. “Kershaw – the best in the league.”

Kershaw – the best in BASEBALL.

Certainly was silly to give up in May, especially for those of us around at the very beginning of the baby boom. We have enough mileage to have seen some pretty ridiculous collapses and comebacks. We know how very, very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong a season can be. And it’s also why we don’t take it for granted that the Dodgers will keep on rolling along, and it’s why we can’t buy into any inevitability and destiny talk. We know that things don’t just unfold in a linear path, and that if anything is inevitable, it’s that twists and turns may be just around the corner, and nothing is sillier than talk of inevitability.

And when I was talking about 20-20 hindsight I was referring to the arguments of inevitability and destiny some might concoct if the Dodgers should go on and win a World Championship. If the Dodgers do win the World Series it will be because they just happened to be playing better baseball than anyone else at the end of the year. But some will say it was inevitable, and that they saw it, much like they saw the inevitable collapse earlier this year, when they could see only doom and gloom. Remember, and we have the midgets as an example, the best team does not always win the World Series. So if the Dodgers are the best team on paper, it doesn’t guarantee them anything.

Finally, do we forget the early months of this year when it seemed that every little ground ball hit by the opposition always seemed to find a hole, and that Dodger line drives always seemed to find a glove? Well it seems now as if that’s changed, and the Dodgers are getting the preponderance of the breaks. That could change suddenly. A lot of these close games could turn on a dime. And in a short series, that could be a critical.

Be confident, but don’t get carried away by your emotions.

26. Watford Dodger says:

Said it the other day – Badger especially & Brooklyn & Truth were really the only voices being positive in here. ‘I am still confident’ springs to mind. The rest of us wanted to sack Donnie as he was clueless, & not tough enough & replace him with any number of replacements including Wallach & replace the entire Pen (except Kenley). We wanted Ned to follow Donnie down the plank.

We wanted Magic to sit down. Crawford was a busted flush who couldn’t stay healthy. Ethier should be traded asap for prospects. Uribe the laughing stock should be DFA’d. Mark Ellis was too old. Ryu getting tired & not gonna last the pace. Grienke was taking us for lots of $$$$. Gonzo didn’t hit enough HR. Hanley was trouble waiting to happen. AJ couldn’t hit in the clutch. None of the Bench players were good enough to have an impact and should all be upgraded at the first opportunity. We had no chance without Kemp. Bills & Beckett ( no not the Law Firm but the pitching duo) were done so why did we trade Big Show for the worst catcher in the history of baseball? The medical team should be replaced by an army field unit & Sue Falcone should get back to the kitchen (joke).

No we were all ready to give up on the season & I remember suggesting playing all our prospects to give some experience. Badger wouldn’t have it though & argued his point that we needed to see the starting line up before we pulled the ladder up – and he argued it with everyone! Credit where credit’s due – he called it and I will be eternally grateful if things turn out well in October as I love a bet on the Boys in Blue and having backed them pre season lumped on them again and again as the record got worse and the price got bigger & bigger due to his positivity & persuasive arguments. So not counting chickens but have some nice looking betting slips.

That’s the end of the Badger love in – but let’s not forgot who was telling us to be patient & he was definitely right.

I positively love this team. It’s been a long time…….

28. Jason says:

This guy’s post from ESPN cracked me up. Go Blue!!!!

“Justin Nixon · Top Commenter · Fullerton, California
    Brandon League has a 2.21 ERA since the All-star break, in case you needed another indicator of how well things are going right now.”

I am thoroughly enjoying this ride. The Dodgers are playing even better than I thought they would, and I was always confident they would improve. I admit it angered me to be arguing the idea that the Dodgers were not a last place team. That pov was just ridiculous.
    There are seasons within seasons. The dbacks are good, but I don’t see them as a team that can overtake us. Personally I don’t see them gaining a Wild Card entry.

We all know that the play- offs are a crap shoot. That is what makes them interesting. With Kershaw and Greinke, and the pen looking so good, I really like our chances.

Lets just all pray for good health the rest of the way.

“Let just all pray for good health the rest of the way.”

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

31. Gonzo says:

I feel confident going into the final stretch with this group of PROS. Thats what they are playing like. There seems to be no ego on this team right now. Remember the movie Major League? These guys are playing for the prize and not the individual stats. However, I hope that they continue with this attitude once the playoffs come around and complacency does not set it.

Mark, face it bro every other yeary ou’ve called them Destiny’s Dodgers bad things happened, but since this is your M.O. I can live with it. I do want to give you props for some numbers you popped out a while ago.

When the team was swirling in the toilet, you said that the dodgers needed to win 30 something games and only lose in the single digits. I remember some in here, me included gave you a hard time about it. Not that we didn’t support the team (I have been one of the optimists) but a pace like that was unheard of. You kept saying it was unlikely but anything could happen.

So again props to you and I guess this is why Destiny is welcomed by me this year.

32. Quasimodo says:

It’ll be interesting to see how many will show up to the games in Miami. Puig mania likely to be in high stride there – at least by my imagination.

Mark doesn’t like bullies and used the spending of money as reference to the Dodgers being checkbook bullies. He doesn’t seem to mind now.

I remain thrilled we are distancing ourselves from the embarrassment that was the McCourt era. There is nothing wrong with being called the West Coast Yankees. In fact, I prefer calling them the East Coast Dodgers! The Dodgers, the Cardinals, the Yankees and the Red Sox. These are the franchises that drive the success of MLB.

We are back. I trust we will remain healthy as a franchise for years to come.

Well, I mind but I now have adopted a double standard.