The return of James Loney

• 22 Doubles
  • 15 HR
  • 69 RBI
  • .293 BA
  • .344 OB%
  • .796 OPS

That is the James Loney most of us expected.  If he could have done that in LA, the Dodgers probably wouldn’t have traded for A-Gone and Crawford.  What if….

What is the difference?  Why is he hitting now?  Is this an indictment of the Dodgers system?  Did he just need a fresh start?  I don’t know the answer.  I asked Tony Jackson to get an interview with James.  Maybe he will ask the question.

At any rate, Dodger fans should welcome James back to Dodger Stadium – we have moved on and so has he.  He’s doing well – Good for him!  I hope he hits a Grand Slam tonight… if the Dodgers are ahead 15-3!!!   Actually, I hope he sucks this weekend and then hits like a fiend the rest of the year.

Dodger Notes:

• I still see potential in Dee Gordon…
  • I watched Hanley in the Dugout last night and it looks to me that he might play this weekend.
  • Matt Kemp is probably an end of August activation.
  • Look for Brian Wilson in 10-12 days.
  • Yasiel Puig is growing and evolving right before our eyes – I doubt he will ever lead the league in HR, but he will win multiple batting titles.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
  • When Kemp and Ramirez come back, I’d like to see this lineup:

5. Scott Schebler
  6. Onelki Garcia
  7. Joc Pederson
  8. Zach Lee
  9. Rob Rasmussen
  10. Chris Reed

There are about 5 or 6 others we could argue who could be in the Top 10, but that’s my list.

What a run – There’s never been a better time to be a Dodger Fan – We went from the Outhouse to the Penthouse inside of two months.

Kick-Off-to-School

53 Responses to “The return of James Loney”

I like the potential lineup but you would sit Ethier? Wow! Crawford been hot butnEthiernhas been steady. I guess they could be interchangable?
    1-6 would be no picnic for the opponent.

I am heading out to Rancho next Friday. I want to get my eyes on Seager. I am hoping he is as impressive as everyone say he is.

Fun times for us Dodger fans. This next series is a World Series potential matchup. David Price game 1? Ouch!! Lets hope Cap pitches the game of his life.

2. MJRod55 says:

You couldn’t be more right Mark! I’ve been reading your comments for over a year now, and really enjoy your writing. I don’t comment much because your regular guys seem to say most of what I’m thinking anyway. But I’ve been a dodger fan since 1963, when my 3rd grade teacher let us watch the World Series during school time. I love the Dodgers, and this has been one of the most exciting times I can remember!

3. Idaho al says:

Good post Mark. I agree with you on Dee Gordon. He looks like he has a better grasp of the strike zone. I would like to see the four outfielders be rotated the last month. I do believe Either will be traded next year. Although Crawford’s body could fail and then we may need Either.

4. TROBOB says:

Ethier and Crawford interchangeable. I would also go with Kemp at 3, Ramirez 4, and Gonzalez 5

I just want Hanley back when he is absolutely ready. If it’s this weekend, fine. If not, then I want him held out until, and I repeat, “he is absolutely ready”. No early returns just to get him in the lineup. I want him back when he’s truly ready to play, not a second earlier. And the same goes for Kemp.

I pretty much agree with you about Puig, except perhaps on the power. I believe he has big time power potential, and could conceivably lead the league in HRs. Just as his plate discipline is evolving before our eyes, so too do I think that the same thing will happen with his power. Remember, he’s still only 22. As he begins to get more experience we’ll see him turning on balls more often, and he’s likely also to develop more lift on a lot of the balls he hits. And as strong as he is, he’ll get even stronger as he matures. Finally, if Hanley and Kemp both return to the lineup healthy, and remain that way over the next few years, it will become increasingly more difficult to pitch to a more disciplined Puig, with the next result being more hitting and more power from him.

Whatever lineup the Dodgers have going forward, I’d still like to see Uribe out of it. Looks to me, good defense and all, that he’s sinking back into some of his old habits at the plate. Although I still think that Hanley’s long term value to the Dodgers is at 3B, I don’t think that that’s this year. So nothing would make me happier than if the Dodgers could acquire a solution at 3B for the remainder of this year. Don’t know if anyone fits that description, but it’s something I’d love to see.

I still think that Dee Gordon could have a good future with this team. I don’t know if that’s at short or 2B, but I do think it’s possible. He’s looked better the last couple of days, but I realize that’s too small a sample to come to any conclusions. However, while Hanley continues to remain out of the lineup, I’d prefer to see Gordon starting until he comes back.

• Quasimodo says:

I totally agree with Brook. They’re asking Puig to be a student at this stage and its obvious he’s paying attention. When the book on how to get Puig out becomes only a chapter he’s got a busload of power to put in action. This kid knows how to hit HR’s. He’s just learning how to do it more often.

I liked Loney. Why he fell into an abyss here is puzzling, but, am happy he found a home. He’s a Southern guy, maybe he missed the humidity and mosquitos of home.

I like that lineup Mark.

Top 10 prospects? Eh, I know better than to try that. It changes every few weeks.

Hope the Dodgers feel at home in front of 50,000 every night. I think we can figure on that down the stretch. Maybe that’s another reason Loney is doing better now. He is playing if front of the same size crowds he played in front of in high school down in Houston. Less pressure.

Michael Young still available. He is that offensive third base upgrade I have been talking about. He is another SoCal guy, whatever that might mean. 1.4 oWAR but his defense sucks. Maybe we use Uribe as the late inning replacement? Is Young worth the expense and possible trouble? Iontkno. Some teammates called him a pain in the ass, but…… again, what do I know. Maybe he just, as he put it, doesn’t want to be traded to one of this “shitty ass dumps” so L.A. might not be on that list.

“net result” NOT “next result”.

Well written, Mark.

I know it likely won’t happen, but when Hanley is back, I would LOVE to see Dee get a start at 2b, to see how he does. Him leading off next year or batting 8th next year at 2b would be dynamite, if he can field at 2b.

Crawford looks like such a professional hitter the way he keeps going with the pitch to LF. Obviously he’s not worth his contract, but he’s a really really good player, and I think he will be absolutely key in any deep playoff run this year.

Puig came on with amazing power and no discipline. Now he’s started walking, taking outside pitches, but not hitting HR. Imagine when he figures it out. Miguel Cabrera with speed??

Funny how the best player in baseball 24 months ago is an afterthought right now. If Matt can get totally healthy while his ankle gets healthy, my lord!

Ryu won at StL last night with a great start. That is a playoff type win. Im comfy with him as our #3

Speaking of potential playoffs: it took an absolutely ridiculous run to get us out of last and firmly into first. However, we’re still 4-6 games behind the rest of the NL leaders. Barring another crazy run, we’ll likely be the road team in any playoff series we get. Which is absolutely fine by me. Kersh on the road in Game 1? Fine. Greinke Game 2? Great. Ryu back home in front of the fans in game 3? Excellent.

Great stats show above on Loney. He really is one player I hoped made it, as he was Logan’s first pick and we all expected big time talent. All good; he seemed to be a good guy, so it’s good that he’s doing well. I hope the fans give him a nice welcome back tonight.

Justin Chigbogu will be the 1b to replace A-Gone. Dude has major power!

Bears open their preseason tonight. Go Bears!!

Mark, hope you’re feeling better.

B17, I know you’re much happier nowadays!

Gionfriddo, Go Dogs!!!

Check out all the Dodgers on the AAA Best Tools list:

10. Bobbie17 says:

The Cardinal series proved something. The Dodgers now are one of the 2 or 3 best teams in baseball. Can it continue? Stay tuned. After Kershaw and Ryu, the starters have to pitch better, more consistently. Bullpen is carrying the starters right now. Not that that is bad, but the starters are the gold standard. TB will be another test. JLo is still one of my favorites. Too much pressure in LA. Not enough support around him. Good for him.

11. Quasimodo says:

I’m certain Loney will receive a very warm reception. Hope he doesn’t have ill feelings at the franchise. I’m sure he’s stood up for L.A.’s fans – especially when the topic of Norwood and Sanchez’s attack on Brian Stow was brought up. They sure did harm to how other franchise’s fans view Dodgers fans. So cheers for Loney and hopes for his team coming in 2nd this series.

12. Gonzo says:

I think that the difference with Loney is that in LA he was expected to be a key player and couldn’t handle that or better yet he’s not that kind of player. He is a complimentary player a Robin to Batman’s Robin. Good for him that he found the right fit for himself.

Mark, hope you’re feeling better. What ever happened to Javier Solano?

First round picks are expected to be pretty good. And he was – for a while. Like an L.A sunset, he just kept fading away.

Mark made a comment about White’s talent evaluation skills. Looking at the BA tools lists, it might suggest otherwise. Of course, a few of our guys have been traded off, but it would appear not much is thought of our current system. Good thing the new owners had the money to outbid everyone on Ryu and Puig.

14. No grand slams for Loney! But nice to see him doing well.

15. the truth hurts says:

Loney will always have a special place in the hearts of Dodger nation because of the grand slammy pajammy he hit against the Cubbies. What a moment that was.

Hopefully we get to witness some playoff magic like that this year.

We get to see first hand Wil Meyers, Puig has stolen alot of his publicity, the kid is a stud.

I sort of like Puig batting with runners on. Most certainly not running behind Agon either. I like him in front of Hanley and behind Crawford.

As Brooklyn mentioned, keep Hanley out until he is FULLY healed.

I hope we don’t pay the “Price” tonight.

“I sort of like Puig batting with runners on.”

Me too. Hit him third.

Or how about this – lead him off and he might come up with Gordon on a couple times a game. It would be fun to see those guys racing each other around the bases.

Pretty quiet at Dodgerscribe. I have two comments “waiting moderation” and one was posted at 6:23 this morning. 6 hours ago. Tony must be really busy.

18. Gionfriddo says:

That lineup is scary, IF HEALTHY…… Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu in game 1-2-3= headaches for Braves, Cards, Pirates, et al…..

Prospect list— I’ve seen Pederson & Schebler in person on multilple occasions–if anybody else has done the same you would know that Pederson is the #2 player in our system. Schebler has legit, light-tower power but he’s not close to Joc in overall tools.. Yimi Garcia belongs on the list before Onelki based on their respective K’s/BB ratio (check em out) … Our ’13 2nd rd pick (Windle) has been lights out in his first taste of pro ball & is a borderline top 10 guy…

Bobby, I’m with you— GO DOGS!!! I’ll be there for the opener vs. Rutgers.. soon, people will know the name Davante Adams (a future 1st rd pick; 100 rec 1,500 yds as a freshman)

Sooooo will the Dodgers make a trade for one of these guys sliding through wavers or whatever???

20. the truth hurts says:

Looks like we have our JV lineup tonight boys!!!!

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, the junior varsity with Capuano on the mound against Price and the Rays.

What could go wrong with this?

21. Quasimodo says:

So, does the story go, if Capuano gives up 1 run, does that mean he’s gonna give up 4 more? Lets hope we get the no runs version of Cappy tonight. Tonight’s game should be a good one.

Put in the rest of the scrubs, and call it a night.

Game over.

This might have been the funniest I’ve ever heard Vin Scully.

How many times did he say “useless” regarding Puig’s useless throws to home plate??

Also, if we have ANY SHOT at trading for David Price, do it. STUD!!

Looking at tonight’s lineup I hit Puig lead-off, Gonzalez 3rd and everybody else 8th.

Cap needed to pitch a complete game shutout for the Dodgers to win this game . . . in 19 innings.

Playing a very good team.

26. Quasimodo says:

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! what else can be said!!!!!!!!!!!

27. the truth hurts says:

hahahahahahhahaha, WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

28. the truth hurts says:

I can’t beleive what I just saw,…comeback of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Quasimodo says:

I wonder how many sports writers had to tear up their story and start all over? Totally A-f#%*ing-mazing!

• Raises hand! You should have seen the PB Quasi! Very incredible.

• Quasimodo says:

I wish, I wish. As rare as a game like last night’s is, it sure has to make your job fun. So Scott, just how many writers in the press box had to can their head-started stories to start over from scratch? Lolz! Glad your job is treating you so well, Brother. It means that I’m having fun too.

• I love it! I guess Stonestree was in the PB loast night and let out a huge yelp when the Dodgers tied it up and won. I was wondering who was yelling. The crowd was electrifying. You could hear the roar accross LA. It’s a Dodger Blue world!

30. Quasimodo says:

This team IS gonna win it all!

31. Bball says:

Did that just happen. What the hell. This team is special. D squad pulls it out. That is a sign of a great team. Do I really need to say great win. Well I will. Great win. Hell ya

32. the truth hurts says:

lol, alot of shuffling going on right now Quas!

That was unbelievable.

33. Quasimodo says:

Dodgers deserve the champagne celebration after tonight’s game! What a win! What a win! What a win!

34. Quasimodo says:

Tonight’s win could only be topped game 1 88 World Series!

• dpwtv says:

This win was amazing…. but the 4 straight Hr 9th inning, Nomar walk off in 2006 against SD was, in my opinion, a little better than this one

35. Rob says:

I stopped paying attention after the 7th inning but I was shocked to see the final box scores. Unf!?&$ing believable!!

I fell asleep and missed this one. What an amazing comeback.

As Jack Palance once said – “Confidence is very sexy, don’t you think.”

Bill, we both have to take credit for this one. You fell asleep, and I was so sleepy last night (Eastern Time) that I decided after the 6th inning that I’d just go to sleep and hope to read about a miraculous comeback the next morning. The rest is history. But credit has to be given where it’s due. This never happens if you don’t fall asleep and I don’t go to bed. There is no other explanation.

dpwtv, I agree. And I was awake for that one.

I must still be sleepy. How did part of my post end up as a separate post? I can swear that I only hit the submit button once. Actually, I’m beginning to think that there are a few technical glitches on this site. Since at least yesterday, I’ve had a problem getting to this site, and my submissions take a little longer posting. I keep seeing that little circle go round and round for a quite a while before anything happens.

This was the B team pulling this out. Granted there were some gifts from Rodney and the Rays but this is what can happen when you believe.

Over 51,000 were there for the game. That can only happen in L.A..

I must admit I wasn’t happy with Donnies lineup yesterday. I felt he was giving one away in order to rest the guys and go for the win in games two & three. It started off that way with a ball landing between Harriston and Puig and then Punto booting one. Price seemed to be unhittable and with sleepy eyes, I decided I was with Donnie and went to bed giving this game to the Rays. As Brooklyn points out, if we didn’t go to sleep, this would never have happened. This is 1988 all over again with better talent.

43. Gonzo says:

I fell asleep on the couch woke up and League was pitching, down 6-0. Decided to go to bed, so Brook lyn, I claim 1/3 of the victory. Awesome time to be a fan of the blue.

44. T.O.Dave says:

As mentioned above this is a game to remember…including where/what one was/doing. I remember driving on the 210 through Rancho Cucamonga on the way back from Vegas when Nomar and company hit the four homeruns, jealously watching when my dad was at the 88 playoff game when Gibson hit it out, and in bed in Puerto Vallarta watching Prime Ticket feed with Spanish commentating as the amazing comeback unfolded. I, too, had fallen asleep but only briefly just after the Dodgers scored their first run. I woke up surprised to see the game still going, Belasario on the mound in the top of the 9th with the score 6-3. Couldn’t find any champagne but the “ta kill ya” flowed!

45. T.O.Dave says:

As great as last night’s game was, I’ll still cherish the Gibson HR the most as it has lead to countless wonderful discussions with my dad who witnessed it first hand. Also because I’ll always fondly recall the look on my college roommate’s face (a giant fan from Visalia) when Gibson hit it out as I was stuck in Fresno without enough time to get to the game after my dad called to say he was given two last minute tickets from his boss who couldn’t make the game. GO BULLDOGS (class of’89)