The one guy the Dodgers can’t lose is lost!

Use your eyes – What do you see?

I have watched the Hanley Ramirez flop into the seats over and over, and while I can see that he might be battered and bruised, I would be shocked if it is serious.  Unlike Matt Kemp’s ankle, which was nearly turned inside-out, Hanley’s shoulder didn’t seem to be subjected to unusual trauma.  Hopefully, it’s just a slight strain.  That said, with the Dodgers’ luck, he probably blew out his shoulder and will have to have a shoulder transplant with a primate.

The MRI will likely tell the tale!  I am assuming that he will be out of the lineup at least Monday, but hopefully Puig will be back.  The injury bug for this team has been unprecedented.

I have often heard that Hanley is not a good shortstop and the stat geeks have a plethora of defensive stats to back it up.

Again, what do you see?  Use your eyes!

I saw pretty good shortstop who made some great plays with very few bad ones.  Add in the fact that his was hitting and producing better than any other hitter in baseball and you will know that if Hanley Ramirez is out for an extended period of time, the Dodgers are in trouble.  They can take the series from the Cards without Hanley, but they can’t sustain it without him.  Let’s hope the MRI is negative and he’s day-to-day!

Tomorrow’s game should be a doozzzy!  Wainwright vs. Greinke – here’s my lineup:

1. Crawford  LF
  2. Schumaker  2B
  3. Gonzales  1B
  4. Puig  RF
  5. Ethier  CF
  6. Ellis  C
  7. Uribe  3B
  8. Punto  SS
  9. Greinke  P

The Cards have a culture of tough pitching and clutch hitting.  Let’s see if the Dodgers are learning how to do that!

P.S.  Tomorrow, Brandon League will be the closer!

Kick-Off-to-School

38 Responses to “The one guy the Dodgers can’t lose is lost!”

1. Quasimodo says:

Have to agree with ya Mark that HanRam’s been playing far above what any of us expected at SS. Hope we don’t have to miss him there for any period of time. Schumaker in starting lineup – I’m looking forward to him being announced @ Cards. He’ll receive cheers as Cardinals have a classy fan base. Cards’ll be tough, but the Dodgers will meet the challenge. While looking at that lineup its clear it still should be feared.

Still a quality lineup. But I really don’t like Schu and Punto in there at the same time. That is a 2 for 8 waiting to happen.

We may have to hold serve with pitching until Kemp and HanRam are back.

We may be revisiting Michael Young.

The Dodgers could sweep 4 and they could get swept 4, and anything in between. These are both very good teams, and both capable of beating each other. Quite frankly, I’ll be satisfied if we split the series.

Having Hanley out is bad enough. But other than the first two games against the Cubs, the lineup has been underwhelming since after the Toronto series. For the most part not a lot of runs scored. The Dodgers most likely have to bring their pitching with them in this series.

I would be happy to split every series until Ramirez and Kemp get back.

6. SpokaneBob says:

I just got to see the replay. Where Hanley was holding his shoulder makes me believe that he has a shoulder seperation. He could of hit his shoulder on a seat. I had an A/C seperation in collage and they did surgery to repair the seperation…used a wire to tie the bones together so it would heal. Not all seperations require sugery, it depends on the severity of the seperation. Even a slight seperation is painful but if it is not to severe he could be back in a week.

7. Quasimodo says:

The one certain thing is, none of know anything here and can only guess. We can’t even make an educated guess as no camera shot caught whatever occurred on the other side of that wall.`We’ve seen plays from other players that appeared worse and they usually stay in the game. Hanley didn’t stay in the game and we assume the worse because that’s what we’re used to. Can’t believe what the Dodgers report to us unless he’s put in the lineup or put on the DL. So we hope all’s well and expect less.

Yes, we cannot trust what it is the Dodgers say because they have been known to give misinformation in the past. I would anticipate the 15 day DL until further notice. That is Puntamaker at SS for a few series and that is a lot less offense for a team that hasn’t had much offense the last few days. Who knows, maybe Uribe makes up for it.

I would take .500 for the next two weeks and be happy about it. If we out pitch them, we can maybe expect to take the Mets and Marlins series. 15 days gets us to the Red Sox. I’ll be happy with 8-7 over that 15 days.

Other guys need to step up. Crawford needs to start getting on base at a higher rate than he has. I’m guessing the 3/4/5 becomes Agone Puig Ethier for now.

Hopefully we get good news today.

I used my eyes, and saw what Quas saw, i.e., what the camera saw, which told us nothing about what happened on the other side of the wall.

I agree with Badger. Unless the D-Backs suddenly get hot, 8-7 over the next 15 games probably leaves us still with a decent lead. I wouldn’t take the Mets or Marlins for granted, since they both have some young pitchers who could shut us down (especially the way we’ve been hitting lately, and w/o Hanley. I’m not looking at the schedule right now, so if the Mets and Marlins are part of those 15 games, then I’m guessing that 8-7 will be OK.

MSTI has a good take on what the absence of Hanley would mean.

In no way do I think Gordon can make up for Hanley, but I do think he might surprise with the bat, and that his speed would be welcome. However, there is no doubt that his defense at short is wanting, and that he’s probably better suited to play 2B. And other than we have, who else out there might be available, and at what cost?

Let’s just hope that Hanley comes back sooner rather than later.

11. Quasimodo says:

At L.A. times Mattingly acknowledges ‘intentionally misleading reporters the severity of injuries’. My question is ‘why’? How does misleading media to thus report to us fans falsehoods help Dodgers win? I’ll have an open mind and evaluate an answer to that question giving him a benefit of the doubt. I mean there might be an excepting answer beyond my imagination. Till then….I just don’t get it.

Fife sent to AAA, Gordon called up.

That likely means a DL trip for Hanley. Damn

13. Jason says:

This is great! !! Per rotoworld:

Hanley Ramirez (shoulder) is feeling better Monday and will not go for an MRI.
    Ramirez was originally expected to undergo an MRI after he jammed his right shoulder on Sunday, so it’s a good sign that it’s not necessary right now. However, he’s “still sore,” so there’s a chance things could change if the discomfort lingers. Aug 5 – 4:42 PM

Bobby, I haven’t done a count lately, but I believe I read that the Dodgers were carrying 13 pitchers, and that the bench was short. If so, then replacing Fife with Gordon gives us 12 pitchers, and one extra player on the bench. Remember, when Fife came up he replaced a position player (SVS), not another pitcher. Actually, it’s not so much an extra player on the bench as it is not one less player on the bench, given that Hanley has not as of yet been DL’d. Also, even though he still has options, the way he has been pitching, Chris Withrow would not have been a good choice to return to ALBQ. And Marmol has no options, so for now he’s staying around.

Between now and the end of the month there may be a waiver deal or two, and not too far away in September, rosters expand to 40. Things might look a lot different in a month. And hopefully by that time Hanley will have been back for a while, and maybe Kemp will be returning, maybe. And, heaven forbid, maybe there will be 3 other guys on the DL (must be the glass half empty guy within me, so sorry for that bit of negativity).

Negative? That wasn’t negative Brooklyn, it was sound thinking beautifully articulated.

This team has had a plethora of weird injuries. Now we have a young player creating new levels of awesomeness by crashing into anything that gets in his way and if our old guys try to emulate that we WILL see others tripping their way to the DL.

May not be conventional but I bunt Crawford over in the first.

Badger, talking about “beautifully articulated”, read your second paragraph. Made me laugh.

18. Watford Dodger says:

I think in the excitement of yesterday people have forgotten the great play that Crawford made in the 1st inning stop the Cubs from scoring.

19. Watford Dodger says:

Watching the game but no knees on Hanley?
    Anyone got anything?
    Grienke not getting any movement on his pitches.

20. Watford Dodger says:

Sorry news.

21. Bball says:

I wonder what lefties are hitting off greinke. It’s gotta be over .400. U got that right badger. These ain’t the cubs. NLCS preview? Could be

22. Quasimodo says:

This is turning into a very good game.

23. Quasimodo says:

XLNT! how could ya not love it?

Not being the biggest fan of Flashs’ son I’d much rather be seeing Dee playing short than Punto. With Dee at least there is some upside with Nick, well I wanted to punt him at least a month ago.
    Great play, Yas to Ellis to Ellis.

25. the truth hurts says:

What a play at the plate!

Not very happy seeing Puig show up Agon though. We do not need anything causing friction in the clubhouse.

Puig, just apologize and never do it again!

26. Watford Dodger says:

Don’t like all this public animation with Puig. All those histrionics with Agon – not gonna play out long term.

Yeah, put a sock in it Yassie.

Anybody notice Crawford was not out of the box at full speed on that grounder to first?

Small point – it was Punto on the relay. Great play.

28. the truth hurts says:

Ya Badge I saw it.

So Hanley is day to day because they don’t “think” he needs an MRI and his shoulder is just sore? So Hanley “thinks” it’s ok?

Is that what is going on here?

Dang it. Hit a guy with two strikes on him? Dumb.

The Ramirez story might evolve truth. As we have been told, the Dodgers are liars about those issues.

29. Watford Dodger says:

What’s happened to Ethier? 7 HR this season. Looks like the power has gone.
    Will it come back? And Crawford looked awful again tonight. So inconsistent. Need our lead off man to get on more often.

30. the truth hurts says:

That was great, did you guys just see Puig kiss Agon on the forehead and call out the camera crew?

That was fricken awesome.

Damn I”m sorry I missed watching this game.

Was the last out a deep fly to Ethier? Close to a hr, or just a deep fly out?

Interesting Michael. I am a big fan of Flash’s son, and I would have played Punto tonight. Yes, Dee definitely has more upside, but upside is a long term concept. Tonight’s game is short term stuff, and having the steady Punto backing up our pitching is what I prefer. And he did just that in this game. I still think Gordon has a chance to be an impact player in the long run, and maybe at 2B, since I believe most of his problems at short are on throws. And I’m encouraged by his new found ability to get on base, something he was beginning to demonstrate while up with the Dodgers earlier this year. With Gordon I think patience is the watchword. I just don’t think now is the best time unless something just suddenly forces him into the lineup.

Punto played well enough tonight. Steady defense, and he got on base twice. I’ll take that from a back-up.

This game was obviously won with pitching.

The fly to center was close to the warning track Bobby.

1. [...] The one guy the Dodgers can’t lose is lost! Use your eyes – What do you see? I have watched the Hanley Ramirez flop into the seats over and over, and while I can see that he might be battered and bruised, I would be shocked if it is serious.  Unlike Matt Kemp’s ankle, which was nearly turned inside-out, Hanley’s shoulder didn’t seem to [...]… [...]

2. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]