The disease may be back

• Getting off to a 30-42 start was not something I expected, but then I never imagined I would see a 46-10 run after their 30-42 start.  However, as I came to believe they could win it all, I also never thought that they would revert back to their lackluster ways… and make no mistake about it, the last six games have been played by guys just going through the motions.
  • It seems to me that once again, the Dodgers are playing without passion. They don’t always bring their A game.  They have scored two or less runs in seven games when their ace is on the mound.  It’s like they think they just have to mail it in when he pitches – that’s a character flaw!  As it stands, Clayton will win the Cy Young, but add 7 wins to his 13 wins and he’s a shoo-in for the MVP as well.  No way he wins the MVP now.
  • On another note, I think he looks a little fatigued and with a 9-1/2 game lead, I’d let him skip a start or two.  They don’t score for him anyway.  Make his fresh for the playoffs.
  • BTW, unless the Dodgers win it all, I still see egg on Stan Kastens’ face.  Yes, THE DEAL has helped both teams, but going forward the Dodgers are going to he hamstrung somewhat by Crawford and Gonzalez.  There’s egg on his lips because he thought they could ignite the team last year and they didn’t.  What if they hadn’t made the trade and then signed  the following players?
    • Torii Hunter  – $26 Million
    • Michael Bourn  – $48 Million
    • Mike Napoli – $5 Million
    • Adam LaRoche – $24 Million
    • Kyle Lohse  – $33 Million
    • Jake Peavy – $29 Million
  • That’s only $164 million instead of $260 million… and while  this team did end up going 46-10 (which is amazing), I see A-Gone as a declining asset and Crawford and Beckett as very dicey.  A-Gone is solid now, but for how long?  Crawford is a fast guy who is afraid to steal for fear of breaking again.  Overpaying for something you don’t have to is just silly.  I hope the Dodgers win it all because we will hear from every other teams fans about our payroll and how the Dodgers spent more and got less.
  • I am rooting for the Dodgers to win it all NOW because who knows what will happen next year.
  • This year is about Puig and Ramirez.  Matt Kemp will regain his stroke in time for the playoffs and the Dodgers should be tough in a short series… unless the disease is back!

Labor-Day-12

24 Responses to “The disease may be back”

1. Watford Dodger says:

Agree with you about the length of those contracts and yes they are going through the motions. Think that may be the lack of pressure from within the division.
    Welcome back.

2. Quasimodo says:

I have to admit I have a fear that Dodgers might lack the killer’s instinct – like they feel they’ve already proven their talent, or that the baton is in another teammates hand. There’s no good excuse for Dodgers offense to be so lackadaisical when Kershaw pitches. That could be part of the reason he looked fatigued. Its just to continual to cast it as bad luck. Inside of that there is a problem. They better sort it out by the time they reach the playoffs.

3. jerry says:

when Kershaw pitches ..dont forget they are going up against the other teams number 1 pitcher also..so we wont score very much.

4. Bball says:

I’m the type of person who lives in the now, and right now were in first and great shape so who cares who won the trade. Just enjoy the moment and hope the moment doesn’t end until we’re holding the trophy up and kershaw is holding up the WS MVP trophy. We can worry about next year next year.

No bad Mark.

The passion has to come back, and these guys need to play as a team. Puig needs to realize he is one of the keys to this team, and become a team player.

6. adrian says:

well, let’s see the best alternatives.
    •Torii Hunter ($26 Mil): kinda lucky here, because he is 38 this
    year
    •Michael Bourn($48 Mil): Ethier is simly better
    •Mike Napoli ($5 Mil): Injury prone, bad defense, low average.
    if that is the assumption, why not Loney?
    •Adam LaRoche ($24 Mil): Injury prone, poor performance this year. we may give up this year if he is dodger.
    •Kyle Lohse ($33 Mil): 1st rnd pick will be gone, and he li too old to risk that decision.
    •Jake Peavy ($29 Mil): Injury prone, and mediocre performance. his fastball lost some life

7. Quasimodo says:

I’ve no doubt whatsoever that Dodgers will make the playoffs. I’m very happy with the trade. The talent is there. Winning the division championship is gonna happen – but from there they can’t be wimpy when our pitching is great.

I wish people would stop with the misguided statement that “Kershaw always goes up against the other team’s #1, and that’s why we can’t score for him.”

Opening Day, Kersh goes against the other #1, and first game of the playoffs, Kersh will likely go up against another team’s #1.

But once a rainout, injury, off day, suspension, etc happens, the 1-5 starters get thrown off wack. That Cubs guy who threw against Kersh the other day was not anybody’s #1. Hell, we’ve even got our own rotation out of wack right now!

Our 1-5 is Kersh, Greinke, Ryu, Nolaco, Cap/whatever. Right now our cycle is Kersh, Nolasco, Ryu, Cap, Greinke. If Kersh is the 1, then somehow Greinke is our 5.

I wouldn’t rush to judgment about the disease being back. The Dodgers were certainly not a 30-42 team, nor were they (or anybody else) a 46-10. In their last 4 series they’ve gone 8-5, and 6-5 if you subtract the first two wins in the Phillies series. I subtract those first two Phillies games because it was after that that the Dodgers began their so-called tailspin by losing consecutive games to the Phillies and Marlins. You can make all you want of the Boston series, but really, the difference between 1-2 and 2-1 is only ONE game. Whatever the case, the Dodgers are not exactly in freefall, and it’s quite natural for any team to follow a torrid pace like we just saw with one a bit more tepid, especially in contrast, which only makes what we’ve seen recently look a lot worse than it is.

No doubt the hitting has been abysmal lately. But why should that be a surprise? Without Kemp in the lineup they are highly dependent on Hanley, Puig and Gonzo. Any drop-off from that trio has negative consequences on this offense. And no doubt, while good this year, Crawford is not the same player he was in Tampa Bay. Nor, in fact, as Badger has pointed out over and over, is he a lead-off hitter. And unfortunately, Ethier, while contributing at times, has not been the power hitter that we remember from past years (especially 2009). While I don’t consider the deal with Boston a mistake, I do consider the Ethier contract to be a big mistake.

Gonzo is not the player we remember him to be when he was a Padre. And you might be right that we don’t know for how long he’ll continue to be good. But given a day off here and there, he should be good enough in the next 2-3 years to allow the Dodgers time to develop a first baseman of their own. Besides, that deal did make the Dodgers better, and was necessary to bring this club back into contention. And I suggest, it has to a large degree begun to pay for itself. Just look at the Dodgers attendance figures, which should also continue into next year, and very possibly beyond. And of course, if this team had had new ownership a year earlier, the Boston deal would never have been necessary. We’d still have RDLR and Prince Fielder would our first baseman.

Besides, in the end I want the Dodgers at their best come the postseason. As you well know, the best team doesn’t necessarily win. Success in the postseason goes to that team which is playing best at that time.

And I agree that Kershaw needs to be fresh for the postseason (same for Greinke who threw over 120 pitches in his last outing). Yesterday’s day off probably helps in that respect, since it will likely give both pitchers an extra day between starts. And I also suspect that pitch count may become more important in this last month, with Mattingly being unwilling to allow his starters to build up large pitch counts. And that becomes easier to do with the roster expanding on Sunday. There will be more pitching around to handle some extra workload.

Bobby,

Amen to what you just said. I thought the same thing when I read it, and always think the same thing when I hear it elsewhere. I have no idea where that notion came from. It’s as if some people think that the schedules of all the teams are carbon copies of each other, including games played and days off. And everybody is perfectly healthy, no pitcher ever misses a turn, etc., etc., etc.

Mark, were you suggesting that the Dodgers should have signed all of those players you mentioned? LaRoche and Napoli both play first base. Are you saying that they both should have been signed to platoon at 1st? And Peavy wasn’t a free agent last winter, but was acquired by the White Sox in 2009 from the Padres. Getting him would have required a trade that would have cost us top prospects. And Michael Bourn isn’t exactly having a stellar year in Cleveland. Torii Hunter is having what appears to be a good year in Detroit. But as Adrian pointed out, he’s 38. Besides, do we know whether or not he gets some time off in Detroit by DH’ing on occasion?

Sorry, but the deal with Boston, while certainly not perfect, was good enough to put the Dodgers back on the map, and supplied the breathing room the Dodgers need to re-build their farm system, something which appears to be underway. The farm system won’t begin to produce overnight, but at least the process is underway. And perhaps we’ll be surprised by a few more young players in the near future.

Can’t add a whole lot because you guys have covered it very well.

As you know, I was for trading Ethier and signing Bourn. After that, I was hoping for upgrades at second and third, but, I realize you can’t get it all at once, and there wasn’t really any one available. As for signing all those guys Mark just mentioned, any second baseman or third baseman there? Lohse cost a pick, so he was never coming here, I don’t trust Peavy’s arm… eh, again, you guys covered it all.

I say it again, THIS year, we win with pitching or we don’t win. This is not a thunder lineup. We are middle of the pack in most all offensive categories. IF they all do what they are capable of doing, we can beat any pitcher. Big IF.

No sense in rehashing the trade. It was good enough to put butts in seats, distance ourselves from McSchmegma and possibly win the West. Good enough to win it all? I really don’t know. But a lineup with Uruntellismacher in it does not thrill me. We can address that issue this off season. For now, I really doubt Kasten is embarrassed by what he has put together. We are back. People are talking about the Dodgers, we lead all of MLB in attendance, at home AND on the road. People want to see this team. This whole thing is GREAT as far as I am concerned.

13. jerry says:

well donnie is back to changing the line up every night..i not ownly talking about different players..but now puig is #1 gonz now clean up.so it changes every day..

14. jerry says:

we are not all expert at the stats..so just giving my view..

Ryu’s on first, er second?

Lighten up all, we’re on the same team.

Smile and don’t take everything so seriously

It’s all good

You’re right Brooklyn, of Kershaw’s 28 starts only 10 have been against the other teams #1 or #2. Run support remains an issue for him of course. I do think the team has a let down when he is on the mound. What else would explain it if the team isn’t facing the opposition’s top pitching?

Crawford looks right at home in the two hole…. 0 for 6 I believe. I like Puig leading off. Team WRISP after 2 innings – 2 for 7. Gotta take advantage against the weaker clubs. Put them away.

18. Quasimodo says:

Choo-choo-cha-boogie!

19. Quasimodo says:

Well, so much for doubting killer instinct.

20. Pete M. says:

I aint going there again!!! Some many good posts debating Mark’s subject matter…
    I’m going to the NL playoffs and I’m stoked, because I’ve got a damn good chance to win it.
    Here I thought sneaking in my ND comment would be like getting a pork chop past a wolf..You there Badger??? I’m hanging my ND flag out at daybreak… Saturdays now become my holy days of obligation…
    Wasted good DVR space on the ‘vaunted’ USC ’2 QB juggernaut’…q

21. Pete M. says:

This was against the Hawaii Wahines…Sweet…

I’m a Pac 12 guy Pete. I guess that will have to be Oregon or Stanford. I think Kiffen is toast, I think UCLA is a fun squad to watch, but I don’t see either of them going anywhere near the top.

Good luck to you and ND. Maybe this is their year!