The case for keeping Andre Ethier

As you all know, I do not like “THE TRADE.” I like Adrian Gonzalez but Josh Beckett and especially Crawford are boat anchors, in my opinion.  Carl Crawford has a weak arm, is highly injury prone and inherently unreliable… and he can’t play CF.  Maybe CC can go to the AL and DH (that’s a story for the off-season), but as soon as Matt Kemp comes back, Carl is the Dodgers’ 4th outfielder.

Andre Ethier, while not spectacular, has proven durable and has also shown he can play a credible CF in Kemp’s absence.  In the short term, Carl Crawford needs to accept his role – and I think he will.  He’s a good guy.  He’s just become highly injury prone as he’s aged (think Nomar Garciaparra – how did that end up?).  With the right mindset he can be a weapon off the bench in the playoffs.

Ethier needs to be on the team, this year and next.  Yes, he has trouble with lefties, so SVS can platoon with him, but Andre will get 400+ AB’s and he’s CF insurance.  Maybe Andre will never be what we once thought, but he’s a solid piece and he’s there almost everyday.  That is key.

Think about this too – Brandon League and Chris Capuano may not be on the playoff roster.  I like the Edison Volquez acquisition.  It’s low-risk, high-reward.  This guy was once very good. Maybe he just needs a taste of Honey (cutt) and a change of scenery.  He could be a long-reliever in the playoffs.

When Matt Kemp get back next week (YES, next week), I would stack the lineup like this, so as to knock out the other team early:

1. Puig  RF
  2. Kemp  CF
  3. Gonzalez  1B
  4. Ramirez  SS
  5. Ethier  LF
  6. Ellis  C
  7. Ellis  2B
  8. Uribe  3B

So much for the “lack of hitting disease” being back.  I think Donnie uses my blog to motivate the team!  ;)

Local Radio Talk Show in Indy:  “I see that Fat Broxton had arm surgery.  Maybe if he was in better shape he could throw better by not having to pitch around the fat!”

Labor-Day-12

50 Responses to “The case for keeping Andre Ethier”

Lightening in a bottle for the first 5 in the order — then the peaceful valley for the last 4.

An then there will be a game that the last 4 in the order get most of the hits and win the game.

Sometimes when I watch Crawford line up to catch a high fly ball in left field — he just seems unsure to me as the ball is coming down. Like he is struggling for the exact spot or timing of the ball. He makes the play, but I see it as sometime not smooth.

I don’t care about smooth, I care about making the play.

Since the comparison is with Crawford, let’s look at the two of them side by side:

Crawford – WAR 1.2 oWAR 1.3 dWAR -0.5 OPS+ 107

Ethier – WAR 2.0 oWAR2.1 dWAR -0.3 OPS+ 118

Now I don’t fully understand what goes into preparing these stats but those that do seem to think differently than does Mark. Like Mark, I kinda go by the eye test, but the numbers don’t lie. Ethier’s numbers are a little better, but Crawford is hardly a liability. Yeah he is overpaid. We don’t write the check, so, what do we care? If that becomes a problem, the Dodgers will deal with it. Why don’t we just evaluate the value to team on the field?

I like Crawford. He is fast, he hits .280 and is reasonable defensive left fielder. He has battled injuries, bummer for him, but if you are going to use that as criteria, why not pick on Matt Kemp as the weak link? I don’t like the idea of planning on a platoon because our everyday guy can’t hit lefties. Give me a guy out there who can do it all please.

My idea of trading Ethier this past off season was only to make room for the lead-off hitter this team needs. That shipped sailed and it now is what it is – we still need a decent lead-off hitter. Where that come from? Heck I don’t know, Since our outfield is set, we have to look at another position for that lead-off guy. Second base? Ethier for Kinsler? He gets on at .350, which is better than anything we have, but he is also going to be 32.

I don’t what to do about our plethora of outfielders. Well, I know what I would do – trade one for a lead-off buy – but I have wanted to do that for a while now and it hasn’t happened. Timing is everything.

Still picking on Broxton I see. He’s fat? Is Fernando your next target? You might want to check the stats. Broxton has done very well since he left here. Who knows what he could have accomplished if Torre hadn’t been so damn stupid in how he used him.

3. Idaho al says:

I agree Mark, League and Capuano will not be on the post season roster. Neither one deserves to be there.

I would also keep Either. He can play all three outfield positions. He is not great, but a very good reliable defensive outfielder. The throw to home last night was great. He has also made some very good catches in center field. I would trade Crawford if I could.

Badger, maybe we found our lead off hitter last night. Puig did a great job. Four hits and two stolen bases. I liked the line up last night.

I agree on acquiring Volquez. If he can be straighten out by Honeycutt, he could be a great fifth starter. Honeycutt must have a great reputation among the pitchers in the majors. Those who are struggling want to come to LA. Of course he had plenty of experience in working with bad pitchers during the McCourt era.

4. Robert says:

I have to laugh when I see fans who continue to support Crawford. Who are they watching? The guy is hitting the softest .280 in baseball history. All is hrs and and sbs were just about accomplished by May. His plate disipline is awful. Swings at alot pitches out of the strike so we dont see walks and gets himself out. I think his OBP is about .330. Somebody mentioned his approach to catching fly balls. An old baseball coach of mine used to call that “dancing under a ball”. It stems from a lack of confidence. He doesn’t make you feel very secure out there. DH is definitely in his future with Dodgers paying a good portion of his pay.

5. Pete M. says:

I’m a Broxton fan also… Joe ‘Ride Em Hard and Put Em Away Wet’ Torre took online classes from Dust B…
    I know Dre is making me forget about the Mick and the Kid, but he’s gotta go while his value is up. Lets see what we can get this winter.

Maybe, like others in the past, Crawford needs glasses or to re-check his vision now.

“I think Donnie uses my blog to motivate the team!” That’s exactly what I was thinking after the game last night. I was picturing Donnie pinning your blog post on the bulletin board as motivation.

When Matt Kemp gets back we still don’t know what to expect. Based on what I’ve seen from Hanley and Agon, it seems to me that the full recovery period from the shoulder surgery he had doesn’t occur until the second year back. He might hit, but I’m not sure he’s going to give us the consistent power we need from him (although right now, I’ll be happy with just consistent hitting, with less power). And of course, there’s the other injuries he’s had. So while I wouldn’t be in shock if we got the old Kemp back, it’s not something I’m looking for.

As for Crawford, I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions. No doubt injuries are a concern, but as Badger noted, they have also become a concern for Kemp. As for his hitting, I get the impression that largely because he’s been in and out, he’s susceptible to hot and cold streaks. So I think he’s capable of just about anything going forward, both good and bad. Also, long term, there’s always the possibility that Crawford too needs that extra year between injuries before he becomes whole. Maybe the Crawford we see next year, a year further removed from his injuries is a different player. This coming offseason instead of having to focus on rehabbing, he’ll be able to concentrate on getting into top condition. That change in emphasis could make a difference.

Without the power he used to generate, Ethier is just not somebody I see as a long term solution. Not only doesn’t he hit lefties, but he just doesn’t hit righties like he used to. And he’s done a good job in CF, and on the whole he’s a competent outfielder. But there are better. And I’ll go along with Badger’s thinking on a platoon with SVS (or anyone else). “I don’t like the idea of planning on a platoon because our everyday guy can’t hit lefties. Give me a guy out there who can do it all please.” And I’ll take it a step further. I still don’t like SVS. To me, he’s still a guy that can be pitched to, and over time as he’s further exposed he’ll become a liability. And he’s certainly not an asset on defense.

When the Dodgers were playing the Red Sox I heard it mentioned that Jacoby Ellsbury is a potential free agent this winter. I doubt if that’s a road the Dodgers want to go down, and I’m sure they would have clear some payroll (Ethier/Crawford) to do it. But I guess it’s an option (remote as it may be) going forward. Of course, Ellsbury is a guy who’s also had injury issues in the past. And of course, he could just re-sign with Boston.

And of course, as Mark noted, there are some stories for the offseason. None of really knows what the landscape will look like then, so anything we say now is pure speculation, based on very little evidence.

I agree with Mark’s premise that Crawford is the 4th best OF on this team. For the rest of this year, I basically do 3 days on, 1 day off for every one of them. It gets guys at bats, gets guys rest, and based on how things go in Sept, we know who starts the majority of the games in the NLDS and hopefuly NLCS. Clearly CC is the DH for any potential world series road game(s).

In my mind, we found our leadoff hitter. Puig. Bat him 1st. Bat Crawford of Ethier 2nd. Hanley, Agone, Kemp. AJ, Uribe, Mark, and one of our silver slugger pitchers, and thats a fine lineup.

Now, in the offseason, Puig clearly stays. Kemp most likely stays unless Evan Longoria comes in for him (I know, you don’t have to say it).

That basically means Ethier or CC go. And the only way to jude who stays should be 1) how much cash do we eat, and 2) what kind of return do we get. All things being equal, I’d keep ethier. But he will likely net us more in return while costing us less to give away.

No need to rehash the trade from a year ago. It’s done and whining won’t help. I’m also on record as saying we didn’t need another 100mil player being “thrown in” just to get A-Gone, without lots of cash coming our way. But whatever; it’s done. So no need to say I was right or I was wrong.

But having these contracts going forward, and needing to extend Kersh and Hanley basically means no Cano. Time for a cheaper alternative at certain spots. And we hope our kids can step up in the next few years.

9. TROBOB says:

I LOVE the TRADE. If for no other reason that Adrian Gonzalez is who he is and we gave up some guys who might or might not have a future in MLB. We may still end up getting some use fulness out of Beckett and Crawford has paid SOME dividends as well. I see your point about Ethier and Crawford and I am somewhat inclined to agree although I think Crawford has a higher ceiling. A platoon with SVS would be great for Ethier in LF and that gives us a righty platoon guy for 1B on the rare occasions that Adrian G. takes a day off. Having SVS gives us more options when we play in AL ballparks as well. I really think SVS should be on the postseason roster for that reason and we only really need 11 pitchers on the postseason roster anyway. This idea that we have 13 pitchers on the roster and only 12 position players is silly. I personally think 12 pitchers is too many.

“I have to laugh when I see fans who continue to support Crawford. Who are they watching?” Robert

I am watching a guy that has positive OPS splits in nearly every category. I am watching a guy who is hitting .296 with a .346 OBP leading off and a .293 .375 OBP WRISP. I have no idea who it is you think we are watching.

What do you want out of the guy? His Tampa numbers? Yeah, we ALL want that, but it just isn’t going to happen that way. He isn’t a 4-6 WAR guy anymore. He is what he is, and that is a guy who keeps his mouth shut, is happy to be a Dodger and will work hard to help win a championship and he is a helluva lot better than the left fielders we have had out there since Manny. Hopefully he will have a few injury free years and do what it is he can do on a daily basis. And I will take a TEAM of .280 1.3 WAR players and be damned happy about it. If we had that team we lead the league in hitting and OBP and with our pitching probably win 100 games easy.

I’ll take Puig as our lead-off guy for now and be dang happy about it al. I think it’s a good spot for him to gain some needed plate discipline. But, don’t you see him as an eventual middle of the order hitter? I see 120 ribbies in that guys future.

Good points about Ethier. I don’t know why he can’t finally succeed at handling lefties better. If he had learned, he has the skills to actually compete for a batting title. I don’t know what’s happened to him, but I don’t believe he has realized his potential. When he first came up, it was remarkable how many things he did right. He had 3 straight years of OPS+ of 130 or better (26-28) which is more evidence that we need to get the guys on that side of 30. You pay those guys expecting more of that and it just doesn’t seem to happen.

Even if we DO win this thing there will be off season moves to improve. If you are not moving forward you are moving backward. This organization will continue to move forward.

So…we can expect Crawford to be a year older and better next year? I don\’t like the odds….

“I’ll take Puig as our lead-off guy for now and be dang happy about it. I think it’s a good spot for him to gain some needed plate discipline. But, don’t you see him as an eventual middle of the order hitter? I see 120 ribbies in that guys future.” — Badger

I concur.

As for who the Dodgers can add over the winter, I think there’s still room to add payroll. How much, I don’t know, but consider this.

1. Attendance is up significantly, and promises to go higher next year
    2. Postseason revenue looms
    3. The Dodgers have significant payroll leaving, including Uribe, Guerrier, Capuano, Lilly, Gwynn, Juan Rivera, Matt Treanor, Todd Coffey, Manny, Kuroda, Mike McDougal. And after 2014 Andruuw Jones disappears. Check it out for yourself. The further out we go, the further we put the McDirt era behind us.

And I wouldn’t totally dismiss Josh Beckett, who will only be 34 next year. The injury that has him out this year is not an injury at all, and has nothing to do with his arm. He had a rib that was pressing on a nerve. That rib has been removed, and he’s apparently recovering well and doing well in his rehab. If age doesn’t catch up to him at 34, he might well be effective next year. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Hey Pete, ND vs Temple. Who you got? I was going to give you a hard time about that but then noticed Oregon is playing Nicholls State. I didn’t know Nicholls had a state.

Forget the contract if you can. (maybe you can’t) If Crawford can play 130 games injury free next year (age 32) I would take it. What are you going to do? He is ours, nobody is going to take that contract off our hands. With any luck (yeah, I know) he can get his body in shape to play 130-140 games. Right now he gives us the best chance to win. He will put together another streak. I hope it lasts through October.

Try to do your best to stop looking at what is wrong Mark. You were the one blasting me when I was trying to tell you what was about to happen with McScrotum as our owner. AND IT HAPPENED! Now that things are going right, you seem to want to focus on those things you don’t like rather on what is actually going on here …. we are WINNING AGAIN!!!

We are in this thing and it feels great for most of us. You don’t like the trade. OK, we get that. You don’t like Crawford. Yeah, I get that too. I would rather have an outfield of Ellsbury, Kemp and Puig. But, we don’t have that right now. If that comes together next year, I am behind it. I have no problem with Crawford being our #4. He’s expensive, but with 52,000 in the seats every night, and a shiny new tv contract, the Dodgers can afford it.

McCesspit is gone. I remain confident.

Almost forgot about this. But I was surprised to hear last night that Agon’s HR was his first to the opposite field this year. Remember, when Agon was with the Padres he was known for his exceptional power to the opposite field. So maybe that HR to left is a sign that his power is slowly coming back. And of course, he also hit one to right. If he can bring a power surge into the postseason, that would be nice.

This is a player that could have 100+ RBI’s for the next 4 years. We need 3 guys in front of him with high OBP. How about Puig, Ethier/Crawford and Kemp?

• TROBOB says:

HGe’s hit three or four homeruns to the opposite field this season. Must have been his first at Dodger Stadium. I know he hit one that just curled around the left field foul pole earlier this year.

15. jerry says:

if you watch crawford at the plate ,it looks like he is squinting, maybe he is not seeing the ball good…i have notice that a lot..that why he is not sure of the balls in the out fields,

16. ODRC says:

The case against Andre Ethier:

47 rbi in 129 games with a .227 ave with runners in scoring position.

10 homeruns not very stellar. Can we expect a turn around next year when he is a year older?

Do appreciate what he has done filling in for Kemp, but he is dropping off pretty quickly on the offensive side.

Pirates just got better.

The Pirates probably also got better when they acquired Marlon Byrd from the Mets.

Good for them and their fan base. It’s gota be a really exciting time over there right now

Puig, what an arm.

And since Vin Scully mentioned it, I ask. Why do Dodgers have that wire fence in the outfield? A player could easily catch a spike in that thing and wreck an ankle or knee. There’s got to be a better way to protect that scoreboard, or just relocate it.

Kershaw was heard saying, “Boy, am I glad I am not pitching tonight. Our guys cannot hit a lick.”

Fedwhich don’t zactly fill me with confidence holding a stick in his hand.

Team 1 for 8 WRISP. Cap could use a couple runs guys.

Not happy with the hitting tonight. But Cashner is good.

Well, we got a better hitting third baseman. Hope he has something left in the tank. Personally, I think it’s a few years too late.

25. Pgunn says:

Brooklyn:

RE: Chain Link fence

That’s exactly what happened to Bobby Valentine in 1973. Got his cleats caught in CF at the Big A and broke his leg. Never was the same player…

Badger, now I know what you’re talking about. I glanced at this page several minutes ago, before Vin Scully mentioned that the Dodgers got Michael Young, so I had no clue what you meant when you said the Dodgers got a better hitting third baseman. Of course, I wonder what this actually means. Does it mean that Uribe goes to the bench, or that Young is just going to fill-in around the infield? Assuming the Dodgers are in the playoffs, who will Young replace. First player that comes to mind is Jerry Hairston. But maybe I’m not thinking of someone. I doubt it would be Punto.

The Phillies reportedly got lefthander Rob Rasmussen in the deal, so it doesn’t appear that we gave up very much.

Rasmussen has some decent numbers in the minor leagues but we won’t miss him.

Young is a professional bat. Coming here might light him up. Philly became a very uninspiring place to play. I see him mixing in very well, even in a pinch hitting role.

28. dpwtv says:

He’s not starting over Uribe, so I’m okay with it. He’s a perfectly acceptable utility guy.

Sounds like a Phillies fan wrote that critique.

While I don’t necessarily disagree with it, I believe there is an upside that makes us a bit better. In a clutch late inning at bat, I prefer Young over Hairston.

Hadn’t considered that, but Hairston hasn’t exactly torn it up. Jed did what was needed, he added a veteran bat. I won’t fault him for that. From all I have read, Young will add a presence and fit in. This is about winning a Championship, not worrying about hurting someone’s feelings. If we are going to take that line Matt Kemp wouldn’t play in October.

29. Pete M. says:

Badger, I deserved Temple…I havent got too many opening Nicchols(?)
    in the past few years. I was happy, because I was able to see alot of ND’s depth…
    Young??? If a offensive player is banished off the 25 man postseason roster who has labored all year I.E. Hairston, it wont bode well in the clubhouse I would think.

Also sounds to me like a Phillies fan wrote it.

These are youngs stats:

First thing I noticed is that he’s played in 126 of the 136 Phillies games, which is a lot for a player his age. That could explain the the drop-off in the second half. He won’t play near as much with the Dodgers, which should keep him fresher down the stretch and into the playoffs. Also, the Phillies as a team have been a disaster area in the second half, which has got to count for something. Just going to the first place Dodgers should be a shot in the arm for him. It’s really possible that the combination of more rest, and a chance for a new start for the remainder of this season, that Young will perk up both physically and mentally. Certainly no guarantees, but I also don’t think he hurts the team. And like Badger “In a clutch late inning at bat, I prefer Young over Hairston.” Who knows, maybe he’s our Marco Scutaro. He’s about the same age.

Finally, the Dodgers don’t have to set the playoff roster for another month. That’s plenty of time for them to see how well Young is playing, and make an educated decision at that time.

• dpwtv says:

I don’t think Young is fighting with Hairston to make the post season roster. With or without Young deal, I’d be very surprised if Hairston was going to be on the playoff roster. He’s competing with Punto and Schumacher and whomever the 4th outfielder is. Also Federovic. Hopefully he can accept being a pinch hitter with maybe a start a week for the rest of the season

31. Bobbie17 says:

Young was a great player. Now he is a good player. He still may have 3,000 hits in his mind. I hope so. When he was in his prime, he was the best hitter in the game. I hope all these moves don’t mess with team chemistry. Not using Howell or Paco as much, weakens the bullpen, I think. These other guys aren’t as good. Brian Wilson is still a joke. Never a clean inning.

If you can get it, there is a prospect profile on Corey Seager in the latest issue of Baseball America (dated Sept 3-17). Too much for me to summarize here, but for whatever it’s worth, the Dodgers indicate that no decision has been made to move him to 3B.

Colletti is quoted as saying: “We’ll wait and see. Middle infielders are sort of like starting pitchers. We’ll give him every opportunity to stay where he is before we consider something like that (a position switch). He hasn’t given us any reason (to move him), at this point.”

Dejon Watson is quoted as saying: “Right now, he has not outgrown the position. He’s gained maybe 10 pounds over the course of the season, but he still moves exceptionally well. He still positions himself very well, moves his feet. He’s a big kid. He’s got a good body. Right now, he’s a shortstop.”

By the way, the article noted that Seager was the youngest position player at the high Class A level when he joined Rancho at the start of August. So that could, at least partially, explain his slow start there.

By the time Seager is ready for the Dodgers, if Hanley is still around, it may well be that Hanley will be a better fit at 3B. Actually, from what I’ve been seeing lately, Hanley may be better fit for 3B a lot sooner than that.

Of course, if the Dodgers should sign Alexander Guerrero, and he turns out to be as good as advertised, don’t think that he may eventually profile best at the position he plays now, shortstop. But I’m getting ahead of myself, since those decisions are down the line, and lots of other factors will come into play.

Anybody have an opinion on who was brought up? I don’t.

Watched UCLA Pete. They look really fast. Oregon fast? Prolly not, but fast. PAC 12 is going to be fun to watch. The new brand of college football is highlighted all over the conference.

midgets with an early lead over Corbin and the dbacks. Dodgers starting slow, again.

The Padres, for whatever reason, forever play us tough.

What are we, like 8-7 only vs. them this year? Expect another 2-1 or 3-1 game today, hopefully with us on top! Go Giants !!! (i threw up saying that)

That pitch they threw to Puig for the HR — was in his wheelhouse. Even I could have hit it out. Mark would have taken it over the scoreboard.

Can we give Crawford a little love today? 5 for 7 with a walk.

Mark would need a courtesy runner to get around the bases.

Take Greinke out.

Bobby,

It’s OK. No need to throw up. As you say write/say/think it just remind yourself that the midgets are 20 games behind us. That should should bring a smile to your face. Or, how about “Go Midgets!!!”?

Midgets just knocked off the D-Backs. That puts us 11.5 in front, and by my calculations drops the magic number down to 16, with 26 to play.

Go Dodgers!!!

38. Pete M. says:

What we are looking at now is a freak show and I loves it!!!
    The roster additions provide no sense of pending Sept. battles for an opening roster spot… Where’s Withrow???”
    Wilson doesn’t seem to have that Wow factor he had before!?
    The staff (pen) is in a Spring Trng. mode and and may the best hurlers win roster spots…
    Badger, PAC12 should get some love this year with Stanford and O leading the way…

Many games or series, the Dodgers seen to play to the competition rather than play to their own strength.

Example, the Padres have lost 76 games and are 21 games behind. But 2 of the games were both 2-1. The first game in the series it was 9-2; a blowout of sorts.

That is somewhat playing down to the competition.

That would be alright in the post season, but would really like to see the bats with a few more hits with runners in scoring position.

I believe Michael Young will help with this.

The roster right now shows 31 players. But no Withrow. What is up with that?

All 3 catchers hit right handed.

In the last 10 games, AJ Ellis our starting catcher, is hitting .125 with 1 Hr and 2 RBIs. We need him to step it up. Fedex is doing better with .303, zero HRs but 4 RBIs.

40. Gonzo says:

Badger, I think my Wildcats are going to surprise people this year. They played fast too in their first game. Can’t wait until they start playing the “elite” teams in the conference. Pac 12 football rarely gets love, but I think that it is one of the top conferences.

Withrow is on his way back Roger. A technicality kept him down.

I love the speed of this conference Gonzo. Several teams are using the new system so recruiting is different out here than it is down south. I don’t know how it would fare against an Alabama but would like to see it in the BCS Championship game.

I agree about the bats. Young should help, but Kemp would help too. I wonder if he can get it back by October. Hope so.

Pitching. This one helluva staff we have put together.

Hopefully Kemp finds his timing. So far 0 for 14 in his rehab, but that could change quickly. With him we’ll just have to wait and see.

Michael Young might help, but only in that he might tip the balance in an occasional game. He’s not likely to be out there on a regular basis. But small differences can sometimes lead to big results, and he also provides a little injury protection in case someone should go down, even for a day or two.

Roger, I too am not happy with the offense. But I wouldn’t read too much into the last two games as “…somewhat playing down to the competition.” Both of those guys the Padres threw at us had exceptional stuff. Of course, I understand that’s just what we will probably see in the playoffs. And it may well be what the opposition sees from us. There is concern about the offense, but this team can win close games, even against teams better than the Padres. Can’t remember if anybody was out of our lineup on Saturday, but Hanley was out yesterday. Guys won’t be getting days off during the postseason.

Badger is right about Withrow. He’s still eligible for the postseason. I think he may not have been recalled with the other minor leaguers yesterday because of the 10-day rule. Whatever the case, he’ll be back soon.

It doesn’t matter with all three catchers being righthanded. And besides, only A.J. Ellis and Fedex are eligible for the postseason. Third catcher is just a luxury that comes with expanded rosters in September.

I agree with comments concerning Wilson. He really hasn’t looked all that good. Maybe he’s an option for next year, but it may be that he’s still not far enough along in his recovery from TJ surgery to be really effective at this time. In fact, I’m thinking that Marmol might actually take on a larger role going forward, as he’s looked a lot better. But that’s a decision for Mattingly/Honeycutt, etc., and I trust that they know what they’re doing. Actually, Belisario has looked a little shaky lately.

43. joeinaz says:

SO just to add a bit to this conversation… There is always talk about Ethier Not hitting lefties but if you look at the numbers Crawford is hitting less than Andre against lefties and only 28walks in 108 games and mostly at leadoff spot. I see Crawfords strength for LA as a leadoff but this has not panned out. Also Andre has 61 walks! Leads the team! and a 360obp… to Crawfords 330 so shows how average says nothing. Lets also think how many game winning RBI’s or game tying RBI’s Andre has compared to the ENTIRE team!

You loose a pivotal bat like this you see the turn of events at the end of the season. Yeah his numbers are down but someone with a Team ALL TIME record with 7 consecutive seasons with 30+ doubles and career 290 avg what the hell do you guys want? A Jason Kubel like the Dbacks or some free agent pick up?

I would say Andre puts in a lot of work in the City MOST dont get to see, and the community loves him and he loves LA. To see Andre leave I would promise LA would be sorry!

And one last thing lets remember how LA got Andre a STEAL from the A’s and then got years of production and good seasons where Andre was UNDERPAID quite a bit so him making it up now you people miss out! WHy dont you contradict Matt Kemp he has had TWO bad years and yet he still gets praise! He is third on the team in strikeouts still and has not play in months?! Quit picking on Andre!!