Six-Step Blueprint for a World Championship

By virtue of an incredible 40+ game stretch, the Dodgers are soundly entrenched in first place in the NL West and it is not likely (barring major injury) that any team can catch them.  However, the real work has just started.  Now, Stan & Ned and Company go to work on the Blueprint for a World Championship.  The pieces are in place and Matt Kemp should be back with a rested shoulder for the stretch run.  Let’s look over the blueprint for a World Series Championship:

1. Stay Healthy – Rest the players liberally – physically fresh equates to mental freshness and both are extremely important.
  2. Aces at the Ready – Kershaw and Greinke are capable of winning 4 games in a 7 game series – make sure they are fresh.  If you have two “Ace Quality” starters, you have a leg up on most teams.  Ryu only needs to pitch 4 or 5 solid innings – don’t pace it, just sling it!  To that end, the Dodgers should consider a 6-man rotation most of the time until the middle of September.
  3. Win Every Series – If the Dodgers do that, they can have the best record in the NL by the end of September and precious home-field advantage (HA).
  4. Trust Each Other – The trust factor is building – give yourself up to move a runner, take a walk and let the next guy do it.  I like it a lot!
  5. Don’t Kill the Pen – Brandon League was put on waivers, but I hope the Dodgers aren’t tempted to trade him.  They will need him if he can keep up this level of pitching.  A pen of Belisario, Rodriguez, Capuano, Nolasco, Fife, League, Brian Wilson, JP Howell, Jansen and Chris Withrow is downright lethal in a short series.  I believe Cappy can be a lefty killer.
  6. Beef Up the Advance Scouting – During the McCourt era and even prior, the Dodgers were often beat by superior advance scouting.  More and better scouting can make all the difference.  Put them in place, Ned.  Start scouting your possible foes now!

Dodger Notes:

• Donnie, Rest Puig today.  He’s going to kill himself in Wrigley!
  • Corey Seager played 3B at RC last night, while Quakes SS, Darnell Sweeney committed his 35th error (YIKES!).
  • Pedro Baez ERA at Chatt – 6.10 – Ouch!
  • Joc Pederson treading water at AA – .280.  Not bad, but not great.
  • Memo to Logan White:  Draft a catcher next year!
  • Alex Castellanos down to .259 at AAA.
  • Dee Gordon at .307 and back at SS – I have no clue what any of that means?
  • Name to watch:  19 year-old Jacob Scavuzzo from Villa Park High School – very raw, very athletic CF at Ogden.
  • If you haven’t read it, you should read Plaschke in The LA Times today.  When he has nothing to bash the Dodgers for, he is very, very good!  It’s a moving story about Gilberto Reyes who had a cannon strapped to his shoulder.
  • FLASH:  This just in – Fife activated – SVS optioned (again for the 176th time).

OurPeopleMakeTheDifference

37 Responses to “Six-Step Blueprint for a World Championship”

Actually, adding to the last thing Mark said, regarding Plaske’s article on Reyes, Plaske has done a few of these articles on the “forgotten” guys of 1988. Guys like Mike Marshall, Tim Leary, etc. They’re all interesting reads.

Booby,

You are spot on. Great writing!

Mark, how u feeling? As I keep stating, Macallans on me when you’re in LA, as a thank you for this blog. (hopefully for a playoff game)

Bobby,

I am fine, off the pain meds, but still hard to walk. MRI on Wed should let us know what it is. I\’ll take you up on that Drink someday

Darnell Sweeney is probably our shortstop of the future. Although written in jest, you really never know. Is he at least hitting?

I agree, rest Puig today.

All the other stuff makes sense, although I’d wouldn’t have Ryu just sling it. The last thing you want to do is have a pitcher work differently than usual. If he’s well rest and strong, his pitches will naturally have more life.

The Dodgers should draft a catcher only if a desirable one is available. Besides, we don’t know if the Dodgers maybe signed a catcher or two or three among their international signings. And as was the case with Russell Martin, and Carlos Santana, our catcher of the future can be someone who started out at a different position. Just get the best players available and let the chips fall where they may. I just read in Baseball America that only about 16-17% of drafted players ever even get a whiff of the big leagues. The draft is a crap shoot.

I know that the Dodgers beefed up their international scouting, and if I were to guess, I would think that they’ve beefed up their scouting in general. I’m sure the Dodgers are committed to do whatever is necessary to win a world championship.

6. Quasimodo says:

@ TBLA it appears they’re offering a great deal on some very good seats for Dodgers vs Cubs night game. I’d jump if I wasn’t in a closely condition as Mark is in. They must have pulled some strings with the club to get that kind of action. You all should take advantage….you’ll be in good company. Cheers!

• Bobby says:

Quas: which game are you talking about, and do you have a link? I didn’t see it on TBLA.

I am debating going to see a Red Sox game (and maybe even a Cubbie game)

Puig only regular out today. How about a laugher so we can rest a few late in the game and get ready for big series coming up.

I think a 6 man rotation is a good idea. Already said so.

I keep drafting arms and athletes. If the catcher is there and he is better than any of the pitchers available then ok, take him. Or trade for one. Pitching is what we do.

Not sure I agree we cannot be caught. Any team could run off 10 in a row. Lets not get too cocky. The “win every series” is a good plan though.

8. Quasimodo says:

Its there on main page, Bobby. Aug, 26. story 21 by Phil Gurnee.

9. Quasimodo says:

You have a point, Badger. As pointed out at ESPN, it took 72 days to win the 1st 30 games, while it only took 37 games to win the next 30. I’m still scratching my head about it starting off as slow as it did. I do see it highly unlikely any team in the division going on a hot streak like Dodgers are having. It is hard to not count chickens.

10. Quasimodo says:

Find it, Bobby? Infield section 3. behind Home Plate, 3rd base side. $15 cash at the game. And they’ll email you tickets asap. Pretty cool of them.

11. Quasimodo says:

There’s a small chance we may meet in person, Bobby. I’ll know by tomorrow.

12. the truth hurts says:

well thats great…

looks like step 1 on the blueprint has already failed.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

13. my boy blue says:

Wow. Hopefully its not serious. The fall didn’t look bad.

Well this could suck monkey balls.

Wahapin?

16. the truth hurts says:

He was holding it like it popped out or something. Did not look to comforting.

17. Josh says:

just had to mention injuries didn’t you.

18. Bball says:

Mark fuckin jinsked it. Holy cow. My heart is sinking

How many games in a row is this for Jansen now??

This dude needs the next 2 days off. Let him chill in Chicago with free Giardanos or something; he can join us Wednesday

Not exactly the laugher I was hoping for.

Jansen should not be available tomorrow. Withrow with his third hold.

Somebody give me some good news on Hanley.

Is this team too fragile to win it all?

The wall didn’t cause Hanley to get hurt, but Wrigley Field is a disgrace. Can’t believe what I was looking at. Brick and concrete walls on the playing field. Hanley’s lucky he didn’t break a hip banging into that wall. Can’t believe that MLB doesn’t have rules that require padding in spots like that.

We just have to hold our breath, and hope he just bruised the shoulder when he fell over into the stands.

Would be nice to see the offense perk up again. The bullpen will be in tatters if we don’t put some more runs on the board.

22. Bball says:

Badger. That’s a legit question. There is no doubt in my mind that this team has the talent to Win it all. That fall didn’t look bad and they are saying it not really a big deal. Well they said that about Kemps ankle too. We will just have to hold our breath on this one. I no I won’t sleep well tonight. Crap. If this becomes a DL stint, like Donnie says we just have to tread water.

Anyone with eyes and a thimble of common sense knew they were bullshitting about Matt Kemp’s injury. Was Hanley’s arm facing the wrong direction when stood up?

24. Quasimodo says:

Yep! Its hard to be cheerful fallowing a win that has the threat of being somewhat hallow if bad news comes from it. Extending a record even further should be something to give cheers to, but not at a cost of what we fear. We should be celebrating. Instead we feel @#$%^&*!

I don’t wish anyone hurt, but why is it Kemp, Puig and Ramirez instead of Punto, Schumaker and Van Slyke?

I keep saying its a long season. Now I am asking – who’s next?

It’s far from insurmountable, but at least we have a 5.5 game lead, and 6 in the loss column. At the very least that gives us a little wiggle room. Word is that Hanley will have an MRI tomorrow in St. Louis. Not sure what to think of that. Does that mean they think the injury is serious enough to merit the MRI, or is it just precautionary?

Two months ago, this team loses this game today – 4-1.

It was a breath holder. And the Dodgers are kinda cold at the plate.

Nice Chicago trip. Could not ask for more in the standings.

Intentional Talk on the 1st had their predictions for one month. And one was: will the Dodgers be 4 1/2 over or less come Sept 1? They split, one yes, one no.

But it seems to Dodgers fans that by 1 Sept, it just might be 10 or more in front.

10 in front?

Not without Ramirez.

An MRI is done to evaluate the extent of injury.

29. Quasimodo says:

MRI’s are also exploratory. Just ask Mark.

Atlanta looking good again.

1. [...] on August 4, 2013 by Dugout Online Editor Six-Step Blueprint for a World Championship – ladodgertalk.com 08/04/2013 By virtue of an incredible 40+ game stretch, the Dodgers are [...]

2. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]