Please pass the offense

Yes, I know that Lackey and Lester are good (not great) pitchers, but the Dodgers have scored four runs in two games and that just isn’t going to cut it.  Frankly, they are lucky to have a win in this series.  It’s back to that same lack of clutch hitting that has plagued the Dodgers for a few years.  The Dodgers had 10 base-runners yesterday (5 hits and 5 walks), but only scored twice.  Dodger hitters failed to score runners 15 times.   That is just unacceptable – let’s hope this is just a blip not a pattern.

Ryu pitched well after the first inning. Tony Jackson documented Ryu’s first -inning struggles this year, which is exactly the opposite of what I feared about him.  I thought that he would have difficulty after the opponents saw him 2 or 3 times, but he struggles in the first inning.  That said, he pitched well enough to win.  The Dodgers needed 5 runs, but got only 2.  Put this on the offense, not Ryu!

Rants and Raves

• Even Don Mattingly admits that Carl Crawford can’t stay healthy as he has leg and back problems, which is why he wants to rest him a lot.  One of CC’s best assets was his speed.  He used to steal 50-60 bases a year, but at 31 he just gets nicked up too much.  He’s going to be a very expensive backup outfielder soon… he’s signed until 2017!  I predicted he wouldn’t play 110 games and it’s looking more and more like he won’t.  If you haven’t read Ken Rosenthal’s piece on THE TRADE, you should.
  • Speaking of THE TRADE, Josh Beckett should make a full recovery by Spring Training.  At 34, he could get another 2 to 4 year deal, so I would not be surprised if he pitches very well.
  • Chad Billingsley is often reviled by Dodger fans, but let’s not forget that he has a career record of 81 and 61 and a 3.65 ERA.  That’s pretty dang good.  Ricky Nalasco, who is older has a career record of 86-73 and a 4.36 ERA.  Bills should be back by the All-Star Break next year.
  • Capuano will be gone after this season.  The question is, will the Dodgers be able to pay Nalasco who could get a 4 or 5 year deal worth $50+ million?  I don’t see them signing him, especially in light of the fact they are going to have to give Hanley big money and Clayton is in line to get a nearly $300 million dollar deal.
  • Zack Lee and Ross Stripling – I see Stripling as a solid #3, but Lee scares me.  I will be shocked if he is anything more than a#5.   I hope I am wrong.  Stripling could be ready next year.  I love his control.
  • Two players who are starting to settle in after position switches:  Pedro Baez and Aaron Miller.  Both have a ways to go, but could be nice stories if they continue their re-development.
  • I am not worried in the least about Corey Seager even though he is off to a slow start at RC.  He’s still a stud.
  • I think AJ Ellis needs a DL stint to rest up.  He’s tired and dinged.
  • Our worst starter goes tonight but is due for a good game… let’s hope.  The Dodgers need to take this series.

Labor-Day-12

29 Responses to “Please pass the offense”

The Dodgers are 4th in avg and 7th in hits but are way down the list in extra base hits and home runs therefor subsequently down the list in OPS. Not surprising to me considering how many at bats our JV team have had. We are a station to station team of slow movers without a lot of horsepower.

But we have the potential to be better in a short series. Especially if Matt Kemp returns.

I have no idea who will be our next minor leaguer to step into the starting rotation. None if them are ranked very high by those who do the rankings. We are more likely to sign somebody else’s free agent than we are to promote one of our own.

I’m not even going to touch who might replace Capuano, and maybe Nolasco next year. Like Mark said, Bills will probably not be back until around mid-season. And I agree with him that Bills is not anywhere as bad as he’s sometimes portrayed. In fact, he was showing signs of having figured it out. So maybe he becomes a nice addition at midseason, be it in the rotation or the bullpen.

I’m not going to judge if one of our kids might make it into the rotation next year, although I suspect Dodgers’ management would love that to be the case. And looking at Lee’s stats, it seems to me that they have improved significantly over last year. And keep in mind that Stripling is two years older. And I think that whereas there might not be much of a difference between a 28 year old and a 30 year old, that’s not the case between a 21 year old vs. a 23 year old. Those two years can be very important. Whatever the case, I would love to see them BOTH make it.

Like I said in an earlier post, I don’t think the Dodgers are going to make a decision about Nolasco (if they haven’t already made one) until they’ve surveyed all their options among their own home grown and the full plate of pitchers available via free agency (including those from Japan, etc.). Who knows, maybe they sign that other Cuban pitcher, 27 year old Dalier Hinojosa.

And there’s also trades. Who knows, maybe they’ll get something via the waiver wire between now and August 31. Trying to figure out what the Dodgers are going to do about next year is probably a lot of fun, but probably a waste of energy. The possibilities are endless.

3. Gionfriddo says:

Lee or Striping? First off, I don’t base my opinion entirely on what I see on their stats sheet. I’ve seen both pitch in person in the Cal League and oddly both are similar in make up. You like Stripling’s control? both Lee & Stripling have roughly 3.6 K/BB this year. So, if you like Stripling’s control then it must be assumed you like Lee’s as well. Lee is 2 years younger… the ONLY factor that would make me put Stripling a tad above Lee would be the fact that Stripling’s fastball has touched 94-95 this year while Lee is in the 90-92 range.. that being said, both of these guys have #4 written all over them & with more polish could be #3′s..

Nolasco has been very good (5-1, 2.53) but this will put him into the 4 yr/50 mill range come winter and in that event I say let him walk and let Stripling, Lee, and Beckett battle it out for the 2 remaining spots in the rotation (Billingsley will be back by the ’14 break)…

4. the truth hurts says:

Best picture ever, nice job Mark. Hope you are getting well by the way.

This trade will end up being whether Adrian Gonzalez was worth Crawford and Beckett. Seeing “2017″ and Carl Crawford in the same sentence is terrifying.

How do these Red Sox fans get front row, right behind the umpire seating in Dodger Stadium?

Yes, the Dodgers have scored only 4 runs in two games. And so have the Red Sox.

The Dodgers made that deal last year because they had to. Just like they did with the signing of Puig, they were making a statement that the Dodgers were back, and serious about building a perennial contender. I don’t know what Crawford’s health will be, but I do know that the Dodgers would not be where they are now without Gonzalez. Unless someone around here really believes that Loney would have made a difference. I don’t care what kind of year Loney is having in Tampa Bay, he would not have made the difference that Gonzalez has made. Even Punto has made a difference, and although he’s been out too much, so too has Crawford. And really, if Crawford doesn’t play everyday in the coming years, he can still be very valuable. And really, that deal is likely to have paid for itself long before 2017. Attendance numbers are way up, and are likely to stay there, or go even higher.

As for Beckett, it’s possible that we may still prove to be a valuable piece. Remember, it’s not arm trouble that has him out. It was a rib pressing on a nerve, something that could just as easily happen to a 20 year old.

Anybody the Dodgers get or promote will be no better than a 3 or 4. 1 and 2 are taken for a few years and there is nobody anywhere in our system that is better than Ryu. I look gor Beckett to be back and Bills to recover. If Stripling or Lee even make the team I think that means Kershaw didn’t sign with us.

Unless Nolasco falls apart in September he deserves a contract. Our pitching looks damn good to me.

Now, about 2nd and 3rd.

LL World Series. Poor sportsmanship, an ump that wouldn’t know a strike if it bit him in the ass. California leaves about a dozen on base.

Adam Scott? Who cares.

midgets. Last place team? We can dream.

Dodgers. Relevant. National game.

They usta be better. Now it seems like they just don’t care if they are good or not. Union? Tenure? Obama?

Peavy s stuff looks a tad better than Capuano’s.

10. the truth hurts says:

Peavy is pitching a no hitter! (Hopefully I just jinxed it)

Very ugly game so far, from all aspects.

May have to watch Dexter soon, instead of this!

Good work truth.

13. the truth hurts says:

LOL, thanks Badger.

Just arrived home. Looks, so far, that the Red Sox are the better team in this series.

It is said, solid or great pitching will be weaker pitching — just so, Dodgers #1 & #2 are not pitching in this series. It shows.

Where are the Dodger hitters, or does Boston pitching just win here?

With Ethier’s success against Peavy (now 5 for 34) he was the logical choice to pinch hit. Never laid the bat on the ball.

I guess Mattingly is figuring two out of Withrow.

I might have missed it but where is Orel tonight, he usually does Sunday night, think I’m sick of listening to Schilling?

17. the truth hurts says:

Michael, Orel was broadcasting the Little League World Series.

18. the truth hurts says:

Ya Badger, Mattingly pulled Ryu and Capuano out early. Not doing our pen any favors.

19. headache says:

How do the Dodgers expect to win in the postseason when they are getting mowed down by Peavy??????

20. Bball says:

Everyone seems to overreact. Ok so they lost a series. I was kinda worried they peaked to early. Well a little slump might do them well before they make there run into the playoffs. Don’t freak out everyone. This is our season. I can feel it.

Good pitching can stop this team. Gotta hit with ‘em to play with ‘em.

I’m still upset with that Japanese pitcher that was throwing at Chula Vista batters. And the ump that was squeezing twelve year olds. Think it’s time to shut it down and read a book.

Think the Dodgers would have faired different with Kershaw and Greinke in this series?

Great pitching is fine — but as the Dodgers have found out, if the other team has the same kind of pitching — the Dodgers do not have the bats to win . . .

Sorry, but still have 4 weak spots in the order and Puig — he is hitting .171 in his last 10 games with 1 HR and 2 RBIs. No Rookie of the Year right now.

In the end tonight, 3 hits. 5 yesterday against Boston and 3 Friday night (when they won). So, in the 3 game series the Dodgers have 11 hits, wow.

Dodgers hitting is simply inconsistent. Lineup is definitely a concern. Maybe Kemp’s return can make a difference, but it’s no slam dunk. Or maybe there’s a bat available on the waiver wire. But certainly, this is no time to panic. The Dodgers were bound to lose a series sooner or later. So what if it was the Red Sox. After all we did sweep Tampa Bay, and took 3 of 4 from the Cards. Both good teams.

And one other thing. The Red Sox are in a tight race with Tampa Bay. They may be a game ahead of the Rays, but their also a game behind in the all important loss column. If motivation was a factor, they had to have more than the Dodgers. And who knows what might have happened if Kershaw and Greinke pitched. Greinke alone would have added offense to the Dodger lineup.

24. Watford Dodger says:

Why is Cappy still in the rotation ahead of Fife?
    Why is League still on the team?

25. Pete M. says:

Thanks Bball…I was getting depressed…From umpires with wads of yen in his pockets and the demise of the Blue…Badger was right when he said we got about 4 weak spots in the lineup and without scouring MLB.com stats, I’d say there’s more than a few playoff contenders with the same problem. As a Dodger fan I gotta chill and realize this juggernaut could not last and be very thankful I have K, Z.G. and Ryu…

We are seeing what happens when Puig and Ramirez don’t hit at at .380 clip. We had to know that wouldn’t last. We have Gonzalez as the consistent hitter. When Ramirez and Puig make outs, the rest of this lineup isn’t all that scary. We can be pitched to. I knew it. So when the back end of the rotation pitches against the better clubs, it could turn out like this.

League. He is being given his chances. That’s all I have to say about that.

Roster expansion will help. But, that process will help everybody. And it will help some more than it helps us because some have much better players to bring up.

Schilling, and whoever, were commenting on a potential lack of patience the ownership might have with Mattingly if the Dodgers don’t go deep in the play-offs. I don’t know about that. I think Mattingly might be the right kind of guy for a group of Dodgers that collectively make over 200 mil. I think it’s likely they are only going to add more high profile players, and there has to be someone in that position they can respect. Mattingly is a guy players respect.At least I think they do.

27. jerry says:

bring up the minor league player ..i dont see that helping one bit.that just means we will not have a set line up in there..just like a the begining of the yr,

We lost a series to a good team. It happens. We lost a series for the first time since June. Ummm, we we were over due.

We’ve beaten some great pitchers this last 2 months; I don’t think this last series proves or disproves anything.

If this were a playoff series, we’d be down 2-1. We still have more games to go. It happens. I dont expect us to sweep a 5 or 7 game playoff series, so expect that we might be down 2-1 in a series.

Now time to go punish 2 crap teams this week.