Has the wild horse been broken?

Vin Scully calls Yasiel Puig a Wild Horse because you can never predict what he is going to do next.  He will make you laugh and he will make you cry, but he has certainly brought life to a moribund team.  All good things come to an end and the Dodgers winning streak is over and they are “mired” (HA) is a two game losing streak.  Fans don’t know how to act in such a horrible down time.  Puig’s greatness is obvious, but there are “issues.”

Did the Dodgers break Puig’s spirit by trying to reel him in?  Yes, he made some bad plays, but some of those bad plays turned into good plays (“No, No, No, Don’t do that”…. YES!”).  Time will tell, but we all knew he couldn’t keep hitting over .350 as a rookie.  Now, let’s see if he can adjust.  Clearly the umpire got to him last night – that should not have happened.  The pitch that set him off was a ball… but it was close.  Get over it, Yasiel and while you are at it, I have two more things to say:

1. Staying out late partying after a loss, never looks good (Kemp and Crawford should know better too); and
  2. The media can be your friend or foe – I’d make them my friend!

That said, look for the Dodgers to pick it back up tonight.  Fernandez is one of the best up-and-coming pitchers in the game.  He’s got filthy stuff.

Dig this list:

• Lucas
  • Moustakas
  • Izturis
  • Alvarez
  • Frazier
  • Middlebrooks

That list is a few of the MLB 3B who have a lower batting average than Juan Uribe’s lofty .281!  WOW!

OK, I am going to throw out a couple of ideas for NEXT year.  It always pays to think ahead.  Don’t kill me.

• Trade Andre Ethier and Dee Gordon to St. Louis for 3B David Freese.
  • This is going to drive you crazy, but Yasiel Puig and Fernandez could SAVE baseball in Miami – So trade Yasiel Puig to Miami for Giancarlo Stanton,  J.T. Realmuto (C prospect) and Avery Romero (2B Prospect).  Stanton is having a down year and it’s a good market for Puig, Savior of Miami baseball.  One of those prospects should pan out.

Lineup 2014:

1. Crawford  LF
  2. Cano  2B
  3. Ramirez  SS
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Kemp  CF
  6. Stanton
  7. Freese  3B
  8. Ellis  C

Chris Capuano to the rescue (fingers crossed).

Kick-Off-to-School

43 Responses to “Has the wild horse been broken?”

1. Evan Bladh says:

You’re right Mark, trade proposal # 2 would drive me crazy. The Dodgers already let Roberto Clemente get away from them once. It can’t happen again. That 7 year deal for $42 million may be the best bargain in baseball. Why should we concern ourselves with saving baseball in Miami? Loria gets what he deserves as he’s another McCourt. He’s the cheapest owner in the game. He’d probably trade Puig anyway.

As you know, I have considered that trade before, but I think I must agree with Evan. That deal makes Puig very affordable for many years. There could another trade of him down the road that would make more sense but for now, he puts butts in seats every where he goes and is the best athlete in our organization. He is a kid and you have to live through the growing pains. If it gets to the point he cannot be controlled, then yeah, maybe send him off some place that would be good for him. Miami? Wow. What could go wrong there?

I like the Freeze idea. And I really get a kick out of you throwing up batting averages as if that’s a big deal. Without even looking, I would bet that many of those guys have an OPS+ and WAR higher than Uribe’s . I am damn certain Alvarez and Longoria do. And I think it’s time to remind you guys…. this is a contract year for Uribe. Enjoy it. You won’t see it again.

3. Bluenose Dodger says:

I agree Evan. No interest in Jeffrey Loria after the experience with him in Montreal. He is a crook of the McCourt style. The Dodgers have already resuscitated the Red Sox. No need to do so with the Marlins.

David Freese maybe. I have no problem trading Andre and especially Dee but I want Kyle Seager. Sweeten the pot and get a young player approaching his prime. I think a trade for Andre would be beneficial to him as it was for James Loney and if the four outfielders are healthy it will cause some problems.

I think the wild horse needs some taming. What he does after hours is his business although it might be better to not celebrate after a loss. On the field Yasiel has to be reigned in if his talent is to be maximized.

Good point Mark about the media – friend or foe, gotta choose.

4. Quasimodo says:

Its clear the nightclub antics of Puig has caused enough concern to put question marks about his future value. He’s full of himself and there’s a very real threat that the story could drift towards an unhappy ending. Sit him and make him aware its punishment for bringing unwanted attention. Its pretty bad when Dodgers fans start talking about trading him.

Yeah. We are sitting everyone else. Why not him?

Well, because at any minute he could set off some memorable fireworks. But still, every team member has accountability. You look like sh*t after a night out with LaBron? Come on man…. adult up. You can party like a madman next off season. We got business to tend to now.

We’re not getting Seager. There is no reason for Seattle to trade him. He is what is right up there. Miami is a different story. Stanton is going somewhere and likely soon.

Freeze is 30. I would think he would be good for 5 years. He’s not having a stellar year, but then neither is Ethier. I would hope we could do better, but, maybe not.

5. Rob says:

Baseball is not a hip hop society like other sports (basketball, football). Puig is learning all the wrong things when it comes to his life style and JayZ isn’t helping any.

6. Corey says:

our other outfield prospect appears to have shaken his AA slump. Here are Pederson’s stats over the last 10 games.
    Totals .342 38 8 13 1 0 4 11 7 6 1 1 .444 .684 1.129

I have to keep reminding myself that some of these other teams in baseball do have some good pitchers.

Hammels pitched a great game the other day, and beat the Dodgers.

Yesterday, the young stud in Miami did the same, as did their pen.

Stanton really killed that ball, kind of expected that one.

But the Dodgers are in a down turn, but as professionals they need to snap out of it or it really becomes a drag.

Heck, three weeks ago, many are wondering — will the Dodgers ever lose a game? After last night, will the Dodgers ever win a game or a series again this season.

But the B squad did pretty good last night.

We need Ramirez, Puig, Crawford and Gonzalez to do what they do. When that happens , and the B squad does what they should does, we will win cuz we should out pitch everybody down the stretch.

Pederson will get a look in September. Wish he played third base.

It’s all good. We are in first place with a solid squad. I remain confident.

9. Gionfriddo says:

I’d love Freese but Cards will not part with him for Ethier. Why? Because of Oscar Taveras, who’s still one of the top 5 OF prospects in the game. Before Taveras’ ankle woes this year they were trying to figure out a way to get him playing time in their crowded OF….

Puig 4 Stanton? That’s an emphatic no… Evan said it best –we let Clemente out of our grasp (rule 5 debacle by Branch Rickey) & the same thing can’t happen again. Puig’s act needs toned down & that will occur with maturity & Mattingly’s tough love (which I believe is coming soon), but the media is aching for this situation to boil over… bottom line, this team is 29 games over .500 since Puig arrived….

10. Bobbie17 says:

Think about trades when the season is over. Right now, there is a chance of a momentum shift at the wrong time. Capuano better be good. A 2 game losing streak is enough. The D’backs are just waiting for the team to falter. Big statement game tonight.

11. Gonzo says:

Puig didn’t make any friends yesterday when he entered the media room and yelled F*ck the media and walked out. While I am appreciative of what he has done on the field I think that as an owner/GM I would hold my ballplayers to higher standards just like O’Malley did. I can’t stand Jerry Colangelo, but I respect him because he shipped Jason Kidd’s ass (in his prime)out of PHX when he beat his wife.

Now I know Yasiel has money and beautiful girls are flocking to him from every angle but again, representing your team does not stop when you take off the jersey and leave the ball park. Also, Puig needs to use some common sense. He has to deal with a three hour difference and Partying in MIA until 3 or 4 in the AM is like partying until 6 or 7 AM pacific time. No wonder the dude’s sluggish.

12. Quasimodo says:

He should be benched till he realizes that he also has to ‘appear’ he can be counted on. Recklessness can’t be so pronounced on every front. If it remains an issue it’ll surely be poisonous.

So Puig shows up late today, gets fined by the Dodgers . . . maybe he will sit this one out.

14. Quasimodo says:

He’s not in the lineup, Roger. Nor does he deserve to be. He sure doesn’t seem as passionate as I thought he was.

Team RISP – 0 for 5 already. Schu with 4 LOB in 2 AB’s.

Teams go through schneids. We are not an .800 club. No team is.

Hold on.

Ill take the lucky bounces this innnng!

Well now, if the Dodgers lose this game — call it on Hanley — 6 runners left on base so far — and it could be more for him.

When he hits, Dodgers Win !! Dodgers Win !!!

Yeah – somefin ain’t right with Hanley.

19. Bball says:

He might be trying to hard to show Miami how bad they screwed up

20. Rob says:

League back to being league

21. Maverick says:

Trade Puig? You just lost a reader…

22. Quasimodo says:

Sure seems to me that the best time to test Wilson has slipped by way of League. Geez!

23. Rob says:

I have left Donnie alone for a while now but why does he use guys he just used last night. He acts like we only have 4 pitchers in the pen.

24. Quasimodo says:

From here its hard to see this any different than a hard attempt to throw a game. I mean, how many times before it gets through that League is not a safe choice with just a 1 run lead?

• League is atrocious. He should never ever be brought into a tie game or a game with a lead ever again. I was hoping that the Dodgers had learned their lesson with this but apparently not. They need to either shut him down for the year and or have him checked out. He’s either hurt or in decline. Either way he is awful

Corbin looking like….. well Patrick Corbin. He’s handling the Reds rather easily.

13 hits, 5 walks and 4 runs? Against a last place team? These are the guys we should put away easily.

Time to rally boys.

He is my man. Puig. Chew him out for party time, fine his butt, sit him down.

Put on this thinking cap — then roll him out towards the end of the game — bingo bango HR.

Wise manager.

Whew.

29. Adrian says:

this winter’s priorities
    1. Kershaw for 200 mil/8yrs
    2. Kinsler for Ethier
    3. H.Ramirez for 125 mil/5yrs
    4. Uribe for 10 mil/2yrs (1+1 prefered)
    5. back up guys 1yr contract : Punto,Schumaker
    6. another arm : consider Cuban defactor (Hinojosa?) or JPN Pitcher (Tanaka?)

Re: Puig.

The guy does something great or something stupid at any given moment.

Adrian, I believe they are tracking this infielder from Cuba as the future 2nd baseman?

That’s been rumored for weeks now Roger. I have asked all over the place and nobody knows from nothin’.

Yeah, Romey, and that is why it’s difficult to bench him. No problem mixing up Elpuntamacher – and AJ Fedexowhich, but we just have to have this Yassie kid in the lineup cuz any second something memorable might happen. We haven’t had anything like this in a long time. Kemp was close one year, but that seems like so yesterday now.

32. Bobbie17 says:

Good, not perfect, win. Now we rotate toward the top of the rotation. Today must be a Greinke Day.

33. Bob Young says:

Brilliant thoughts Mark, wish you were the GM. You think losing Clemente was bad – what about Adrian B. ? We have had thirdbase issues ever since.

The Cuban, Alexander Guerrero, is still going thru immigration type process.

He CANNOT sign with anyone until he’s cleared by our gov’t to enter our country and work here. Once that happens, (as Vin would say, whenever that may be), I’m sure he’ll be one of our targets.

Our 2b next year is very likely 1) Guerrero, 2) Howie Kendrick, and 5), Dee Gordon

35. Gonzo says:

Since its a matter of time until he gets a workers visa, Guerrero already knows who he’s playing for and for how much. I think he and his agents swung an under the table deal with the Dodgers and someone let the cat out of the bag too early. His agent is basically doing damage control.

While I’m happy Puig hit that HR last night, he’s still on my shit list. The fact that your a once in a lifetime talent does not give you the right to treat people like shit.

“The fact that your a once in a lifetime talent does not give you the right to treat people like shit.”

While I agree with the premise, I look around and see that in practice, it just don’t work like that. If you are worshiped, you get to act any way you want and for the most part, get away with it. If you are a 1%er, you can treat people any way you want and just buy your way out of it. That’s just how it is, not only in this country, but pretty much on this planet. I was hoping that, because of this kid’s background, he might approach this with a little more humility. So far, eh, not so much.

I hope you guys are right about the Guerrero case. It would seem prudent to get him in country as quickly as possible so the taxing of his revenue production could be put into effect. It’s always about the money, so, this should be able to be done soon. I was hoping to see him this season.

We could carry Dee Gordon at 2b, if we filled 3b better. Then Dee could continue to learn on the fly, and use his speed hitting 8th.

But I would also upgrade at catcher.

I know AJ Ellis is having a nice season (he getting older now), but he is not what I want. And Fedex is a nice guy, with promise.

My point, there are too many holes if not filled: 3b, 2b, C are the weak spots in the lineup. Bring in a star at 3b and I can live with Gordon/Ellis at 2nd and AJ behind the plate.

And who knows, maybe 2 or 3 years from now Fedex might be the best catcher in the league — but he needs playing time now.

38. Quasimodo says:

Yeah, everybody loves a winner. Through that lens Juan Uribe is a giant. It took a lot of work to show what he is really made of. That wasn’t brought into our view until after the fact. That determination should be respected.

I’m not particularly worried about Puig’s attitude nor his inconsistency. I’m not going to read into his character every time he does something stupid. If it continues long term maybe there’s something to worry about, but we’re nowhere near long term. And Badger is right when he says that you get to act anyway you like if you’re worshiped. Got a feeling that he’s thinking about Barry Bonds, but there are others. But really, at this point I’m not ready to pass judgment on his character. He’s still only 22, and in an environment that is foreign to him, and which he still probably has to grow into. What I do know is that he plays hard, and seems to care about winning, and he’s enormously talented. And for now, that’s all I care about.

As for all of Puig’s mistakes, I’m not overly concerned about that either. We’ve seen him begin to show patience, and then regress. I thinks that’s perfectly normal. Over time I believe he will get more consistent, and his adjustments will become more permanent. But Rome wasn’t built in a day, and don’t expect that Puig is going to rid himself of a lifetime of habits overnight. He is going to take some steps forward, and occasionally frustrate us when he takes a few backwards. But over time, with experience and maturity I believe we’ll see a lot less of the undisciplined Puig, i.e., a lot less steps backwards.

Finally, in Puig’s case I think this offseason and spring training next year are going to contribute mightily to his growth as a player. He’ll have all winter to think about, and even work on a lot his issues, and so too in spring training next year. It’s probably a lot more difficult for him to reflect on and absorb everything that’s happening, and just as hard to work through things under the daily pressure of having to perform. The offseason and spring training will likely given him an opportunity to step back, and more easily incorporate a lot of the lessons he’s learning now in the heat of a pennant race. And he’ll have that much more time to adjust to the total change in lifestyle he’s been thrust into. And if he’s a total A-Hole (which I doubt), we’ll find that out also.

As for who is going to play 2B, 3B, Catcher, etc., etc., etc., next year. I think that will take care of itself over time, and it’s not something I want to invest any time in now. Things will change between now and next season, and there’s also lots of stuff we don’t know. I prefer to just let things I have no control over, and of which I only have a limited knowledge, just take their natural course. Besides, I have perfect confidence that Dodgers’ management has a pretty good grasp on what the possibilities are.

For now, however, I believe the Dodgers could use a 5th starter. I’m not in the least bit satisfied with Capuano, and I’m not sure about Fife, who got lit up the other night (third of an inning, 1 hit, 5 walks, and 6 runs). Maybe it was just a bad night, or maybe he still has shoulder issues. Those 5 walks don’t seem like him. But it was ALBQ., so you never know.

Of course, a 5th starter is probably not an issue in the postseason, and we have a deep bullpen, especially if Brian Wilson is effective.

But let me add, I would NOT sign Juan Uribe for 2 years (or 1 + 1) at $10 million (or even $5 million with an option for a 2nd year at $5 million). As Badger keeps on saying, this is his contract year, and I’m not sure what we would get in a new deal. I’ll admit that he’s surprising me, and maybe he’s a whole new player. But I wouldn’t want to commit to that, since I’m pretty sure there are better alternatives (although for now, I don’t know what they are).