Don’t pinch me – I don’t want to awake from this dream!

The is uncharted water for any Dodger fan.  The Dodgers have won 38 out of their last 46 games which is an .820 winning percentage for over a quarter of the season.  It’s Ground Hog Day every day in a good way.  Don’t wake me.  I love it and hope it never ends.

Rants & Raves:

• An older (24)… and hopefully wiser, Andrew Lambo was called up to the Pirates today.  At the time of his recall from Indianapolis, he was hitting .284 with 31 HR and 97 RBI.  Maybe he’ll get it together.  I always loved his swing….
  • Hanley will allegedly be back on Friday or Saturday.
  • Thinking ahead:  Robinson Cano!  Lots of people think he will come to LA, but do you really want to have $200 mil tied up in a thirty-something, somewhat temperamental second-baseman?  I’d have to think about that long and hard,  That said, how would you like to see this lineup:
  1. Crawford  LF
  2. Cano  2B
  3. Puig  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Ramirez  SS
  6. Kemp  RF
  7. Ellis  C
  8. Anybody  3B
  • I’m picking up Good Vibrations that Brian Wilson will be up this weekend.

Kick-Off-to-School

45 Responses to “Don’t pinch me – I don’t want to awake from this dream!”

I would take Cano if he really wanted to come here. With he and Ramirez, it could mean about 4 years of studness in our lineup. Granted, he will be paid for a few more years than that. Who else is on the horizon for second base? And let’s not kid ourselves, this team can afford all those guys. With 50K showing up every night, and the new t.v. contract in the near future, it’s a business model that actually works. The Dodgers are making money and if you make money you can spend it any way you want to.

This is quite a roll the Dodgers are on. Can it last? I don’t anticipate .800 ball the rest of the way, but would accept .600, especially in October.

Wilson AND Marmol at the back end of the pen? If those guys are actually any where near what they usta was, this pen is crazy good.

I remain very confident.

2. Quasimodo says:

Mark, I take it that you ended ways to respond to the nonsense in the last thread. Guess that’s the most effective of addressing the problem. I know when you’ve ‘had enough’ in the recent past you blocked access temporarily. Please don’t let the crap talk you into tossing this room away……………… Okay now,… we are tied with the 1899 Brooklyn Robbins,(at least I think they were in Brooklyn)and have a chance to take the shared crown entirely tonight. Its okay to wake up, this isn’t a dream. As hard as it is to believe, its really happening. Cano wants to come to L.A. Does that mean for a discount? With promises of getting to the post season there’s bonuses of cash and glory to figure into the deal. Dodgers hold the cards and ‘pat’ don’t look bad.

3. Watford Dodger says:

Badger your better than getting drawn into it with that idiot. Just let it go.
    He is an embarrassment.

4. Bluenose Dodger says:

Davey Lopes – problem with an “I” in Mark’s posts. Well, it’s easy. He who writes and pays for the site is “I”. Easier still – start your own blog and you can include “Me” as often as you want. Then you will have the desired attention.

5. Bball says:

Shut the hell up davey. Do you realize how stupid you sound. Go away and don’t just change your name this time.

6. Watford Dodger says:

Bored more like.

Happy days are here again…

Wow we send MIguel Sulburan to Minnesota for that backup AAA catcher.

Seems like a high ceiling lower minor leaguer we gave up on?

Yesterday I posted my concern on Puig’s hitting.

Last 10 games, he is hitting .394. Not bad.

But not effective hitting from what we saw of him earlier.

ZERO HRs. 3 RBIs in the last 10 games. 11 Ks, but yes, 10 walks.

When he first came up, he was hitting many of the first pitches, and early pitches.

Now — the hitting coaches have gotten to him. “Wait on the ball, see some pitches, hit your pitch, accept some walks, get on base . . . ”

So, we watch him take pitches like told. And the old Puig is gone. As so is the game he brought to the major leagues. That is what I mean.

Mess with the kid, change the kid, and so far in this process — he is not as effective.

Maybe it will turn soon, but he looked bad last night going 0 for 3 with a SF.

Just my observation.

Gee. I guess I have to go look what the hell happened yesterday. Peace

11. Quasimodo says:

I really hope Ryu isn’t homesick. That is really something that could be. In his home he was the top dog. He didn’t have the language barrier with his Korean peers. There’s a lot of things that could be missing in his new life that he left behind. The only reason I started thinking along this line was that little ordeal between him and Uribe. We’ve been led to believe it was all in good fun. I don’t bite on that one. Good fun comes with smiles and I didn’t see anything resembling a smile from Ryu or Uribe. HanRam was seated next to Uribe and he wasn’t smiling either. Every picture tells a story. Or so they say.

Tried some humor with the roach. Ignoring is possible. It has been going on for over a decade. Gets old. I have a toothache. Hard to put up
    with both a pain in the ass and a pain in the face.

“Puig hits everything but the cut-off!” Line today on ESPN. I can live with it for now.

Who gets bounced when Wilson comes up?

Who’s Sulbaren?

Harvey. 7 IP no decision.

13. Quasimodo says:

Some of what was up earlier in the last thread has magically vanished as same with this page, Bill. Just to let you know you don’t have to dig trying to find it out.

14. Idaho al says:

It is fun to be a Dodger. I would not take Cano. You need to have roll players. We have great ones in Ellis, Punto, and Schumacher. We do need a third baseman for next year.

Now we are going to have too many pitchers for the bull pen. Is Marmol going to stay?

Puig last night threw every ball to the cut off man. He is learning.

I hope I don’t wake up either.

Cano?????? I have no problem either way. I don’t want the Dodgers to put all of their eggs in that basket if it will keep them from spending elsewhere. But maybe it wouldn’t. And unless he fell flat on his face, Cano is likely to help the Dodgers generate even more income. If everybody else is healthy, the Dodgers lineup would be downright scary. And although I wouldn’t want him back, Uribe’s glove could be carried in that lineup. If they continue to get pitching, the Dodgers might win 120 games with that lineup. Maybe we wouldn’t have to wake up.

If Wilson and Marmol can both return to effectiveness going forward, the Dodgers bullpen will really be “crazy good.”

For now, of course, we don’t have Cano. So I’m just hoping that the lineup gets back a healthy Hanley and Kemp, and that everyone else continues to hit. Would love to see Ethier regain some of his power for the stretch run and into the postseason.

I’m convinced that Puig is going to be a super star, but that we will on occasion see some regression. That’s perfectly normal. And I don’t think that his learning patience is going to detract from his aggressiveness. Unless I’m totally mis-reading him, Puig will remain aggressive, but just so in a more intelligent and controlled manner. Controlled aggression can be very powerful. And I wouldn’t worry about the drop-off in homeruns. Power hitters often hit them in bunches. And Puig (and I think we sometimes forget this) is still very young. In fact, he just missed that pitch he hit for the sacrifice fly last night.

I also think that Puig is going to benefit from this offseason, and next years spring training. Those will be the times when he has the opportunity to think about what he’s done, and to work on whatever will make him a better player. Again, he’s still only 22. Think back to when you were 22.

16. Adrian says:

if Cano comes to LA this winter, that’s some line-up. (but little bit old)

1. Puig (RF)
    2. Crawford (LF)
    3. H.Ramirez (SS)
    4. Gonzalez (1B)
    5. Kemp (CF)
    6. Cano (2B)
    7. Ellis (C)
    8. Uribe/Punto (3B)

17. Bball says:

I would love Cano but anything over 5 years would be foolish. Unless they win 2 World Series titles in that span and that’s not counting this year. I’d offer 5 at 140.

I hope Uribe will be gone next year. The only way I would want him here is on a one year incentive laden contract. We need to address third base and he is not the answer.

Cano and Ellis splitting time at second base could work for a while.

That lineup Adrian just listed has 130 games max written all over it. But it could also win 75% of them.

Want to know who Miguel Sulbaran is. Well, there’s this from Eric Stephen at TBLA.

Maybe Sulbaran won’t turn out to be much, but it does sound like a lot to give up to obtain organizational depth at catcher. Maybe there’s a good reason and we just don’t know it.

Why Butera in the first place and are we greasing a Minnesota skid for a future deal? None iof that move makes a lick of sense on the surface.

So Hanley returns tomorrow, according to this.

Since the Dodgers have a day off on Thursday, why not give Hanley a couple of extra days and bring him back on Friday? Must be too logical for the Dodgers to even consider it.

Yeh, nothing on the surface of that move makes any sense. Maybe they are greasing the skids, or maybe it turns out to be a blunder that we can look back on and complain about. Maybe Colletti made a deal with Mark to provide future fodder for this site.

Actually, it’s “yeah”, NOT “yeh”.

AND —- another infield hit for Puig. Gee golly . . . but some of us expect more.

So must wait for the next AB

Punish mistakes. Puig has not done that of late. I have seen him swing out if his shoes on balls over the plate and foul them off. Just take a reasonable controlled swing and trust your hands. Line drives will follow. And, the occasional backspin line drive will leave the yard. With this kids brute strength – he does not need to spin out of the box with his swing.

3 double plays in 4 innings? Harvey doesn’t need that kind of help.

26. the truth hurts says:

Nick Punto- NL MVP- someone test this guy for PEDs already….

All is good in Dodgerland.

27. Gonzo says:

I say no to Cano. He’s on the wrong end of his prime. Like someone said above we need role/complimentary players. I sure wish Mark Ellis were 8-10 years younger, he’s a perfct fit for this team.

Uribe, maybe a year like you said Badger, but I’d kick the tires on Chris Johnson who I believe will be a free agent after the season. I’ve said it many times, we need a stopgap at 3B for about 1-2 years until Seager is ready.

B17 wrote in the last thread that tonight’s game vs. Harvey was a playoff type game, because we’re going against an ace.

She was right. And Ryu and the crew were up to it. Again.

Just an amazing run!

29. Gonzo says:

I checked and Johnson is arb. eligible so… anyhow go Blue. Kenley better buy Crawford dinner.

30. Quasimodo says:

I don’t think either one of them could find a place in L.A. where they had to pay for dinner.

Crawford saved Kenley’s bacon is correct Gonzo. Great catch and everyone is contributing on this team right now. It’s always fun when you win. Lets see if Cap can continue pitching good enough to keep us in the game tomorrow. Quas, thanks for the info from last thread. It sounds like it wasn’t worth reading anyway. Mark, hope you are feeling better…………. Go Blue

32. fd says:

.880 since the AllStar break (22W-3L)

I don’t see Cano signing a large contract and splitting time with anyone. Complementary players are nice to have, but we need a regular at 2B next year. Ellis I believe is 36 and in the last year of his contract. He’s not a guy you bring back to be a regular. You never know when father time will catch up with him.

Right now I don’t have any suggestions. Whatever happens, I doubt if the Dodgers are going to neglect 2B or even 3B. But those are matters for the offseason when it will become clearer who will be available. Unlike in the not too distant past, the Dodgers will be in on everything.

As for bucket stepping Uribe, I’ve said it ad nauseum, I don’t want him back. I’m sure Puig will find someone else to talk to.

I assume Kenley Jansen if off limits tomorrow night. He better be.

34. Rob says:

Just got back from the game and this team has major chemistry! The bench is loose and they all know no lead is to big to come back from. Sorry Harvey you just got puntoed.

35. jerry says:

i was watching the game with a friend and we said that jensen didnt look like him self…and then vinny said the same thing..he looked tired..these close game.s could affect him.

36. Gonzo says:

What!!! This team has chemistry? Rob please contact one Brandon Belt if the chemistry of this team is to his satisfaction.

You know, tonight when Crawford made that catch I thought the same thing. Only great chemistry will make guys lay out at 110%. Again it’s good to follow the blue. A long time coming.

I can see Cano wanting to be a part this. His numbers will go down here, for two reasons – NL West parks and his age. I still take him.

Uribe – contract year. He can’t be counted on to do this again. Don’t know where the upgrade will come from, but Gonzo’s idea is solid. We only need 3 years to allow Seager to mature.

I am anxious to see what Wilson will bring to the table. Our pen could be freaky good.

38. Bobbie17 says:

Cano will stay where he is. The Yankees can’t afford to lose him. The focus should be on Kendrick. Or the farm system. Or Ellis for another year. Developing a #5 pitcher is a must. Fife is a good start. We need someone other Capuano. Great win last night. Puig is MVP of this team. Remember before him?

• Kris says:

We might need a #4 as well if Nolasco doesn’t sign with Blue. Don’t forget that we have have Billz and Beckett auditioning for a slot next spring. Lee, Reed or Stripling might be ready for a look as well.

39. Corey says:

Cano would be a great option for 2-3 year contract, but he won’t accept that.
    Remember all the concern about Ryu declining before the break. The time off and the extra day from the occasional Fife start has given him the rest he needed..this from Tony Jackson
    He hasn’t lost since June 19, going 6-0 in his past seven starts with a 3.12 ERA, and he now sits at 12-3 with a 2.91 overall. He averages more than six innings a start

40. Kris says:

Dodgers have some jockeying to do with the 25 man roster. Wilson needs to come up and hopefully Kemp. Who goes down? Gordon is the obvious candidate but who goes after that? Also unless they leave Dominguez on the DL until September he needs to be on the active roster for one day before being sent down.

41. Quasimodo says:

With all this winning its making it kinda hard to throw in two cents. I guess its easier to toss in a complaint when there’s something to complain about. With that, Capuano takes whats likely to be the ‘hot seat’. Hopefully we get the 0 earned runs Cappy tonight, and that fits better than the 5 earned runs version. I don’t see Mets getting 5 runs. And even if they do, Dodgers bats’ll be even more alive. Hope HamRam’s ready to play ball! Cheers, friends!