Alan Porter is a Moron

On second thought, I’m not going to waste any bandwidth on such a moron.  Mark Ellis said nothing wrong and Porter should be suspended.  That’s all!

Medical Update:  OK, I can walk, but I look like Festus (“Mr. Dillion, Mr. Dillon”).  You youngsters will have to Google that.  It also hurts a lot when I walk.  I’m supposed to have  a boot on but it clashes with my purse.

So, after 3 sets of X-rays, an ultrasound of my leg and 4 rounds of blood tests, the latest doctor says:  “Wow!  You are really healthy.  Everything comes back great, except for the inflammatory markers.”  To which is replied “Even Ray Charles can see that!”  Ten days ago, I suggested an MRI and they said it wasn’t warranted.  Now they say I need an MRI.  Go figure.  So I get one of those next week.

What we do know is that it is NOT one of the following:

• Blood Clot
  • Cellulitis
  • Gout

I think it is a neuroma (nerve tumor).  I had one about 20 years ago and it just went away.   Sometimes surgery is required, but it is rarely cancerous.  Only an MRI can reveal it.  Duhhhhh!   As a business owner, I have to pay for my own insurance.  In the past 18 months it has went from $600 a month to over a $1,000 a month and my insurance agent says to look for it to double by the end of the year, so that I can continue to pay for others who don’t give a damn about their health… while the service gets worse.  Thanks Obama!  This has been a public service announcement brought to you by “I’m pissed!”

OK, I’m done with that, just like I am done with the Vicodin.  I ate 60 of those bad boys last weekend.  I had 3 shots in my foot and the pain is now a dull 2, but that stuff just puts me in La-La land.  Been off them for 6 days.  They can mess you up!   Just say no to drugs.

But, just say YES to the Dodgers!

Here’s the State-Of-The-Dodgers:

• The Big Dodger in the Sky is now smiling on the boys.  They’ve seen the invisible and are doing the impossible.  This team can play all the way to the end.
  • The key is health – I believe we won’t see Matt Kemp until late August… which could be good.  When he returns, I’d like to see Puig lead off.
  • Speaking of health, the biggest key is Mark Ellis.  If he can stay healthy until the playoffs, this team is so much better.  I have said it before and I will say it again:  “When the Dodgers have RISP and need a big hit, there is no one I’d rather see than Mark Ellis (maybe Adrian).”  He is hitting .281 but you have to add 30 points to his BA to include the intangibles.  He just does what is needed, when it is needed.
  • Carl Crawford continues to be up and down and healthy and unhealthy.  I’m hoping he can just stay healthy until year-end.
  • I am happy with the team as it is – less Carlos Marmol.  Bring on that Beach Boy – Brian Wilson.  He’ll be man possessed and fun to watch.  I think we will have some fun moments with Brian on the mound facing the Giants.  I can see it now and I can hardly wait!  You gotta love a guy who does THIS.
  • Fearless Prediction:  Yasiel Puig will end the season hitting above .330 and win the ROY… OK, that’s not so fearless!    Even Ray Charles can see that!
  • Scott Van Slyke is showing that he can be a 4th outfielder… at least!
  • I can see the Dodgers trading Crawford and Ethier over the winter (and paying half their salaries).  Both have value – Crawford in the AL especially for the right team as a DH.  Just sayin…
  • Juan Uribe is just what the Dodgers need at 3B, right now.  I can’t see trading for Headley – he’s had one good year and the rest aren’t all that different from many of Juan Uribe’s years, and he’s only hitting .235 now.  With Seager a year away, the Dodgers will have to play 3B by committee – I’d even be open to another year of Uribe in an incentive-laden deal.
  • Speaking of Seager, why move him to Rancho?  He will tear up that league.  They should have just sent him to Chattanooga!  But he’s now at Rancho after being one of the best hitters in the league at Great Lakes.
  • With Great Lakes in the Midwest and Chattanooga close to the Midwest, why not move the AAA Dodgers team to Indianapolis?  Think of all the coverage I would provide… I’d probably have to get divorced though as I would never be home during the baseball season.  Indy makes perfect sense!
  • As I have mentioned earlier, I am concerned with Ryu.   I do not think he will be nearly as effective the second half.  In fact, I look for him to finish the season with an ERA above 4.00.  I hope I am wrong.  His velocity is down and the league is getting wiser to him.  He is in the running for the ROY, but has to improve on what he is doing lately.
  • Can anyone remember when the Dodgers’ bullpen wasn’t stellar?  Even Brandon League looks unhittable!
  • In SI this week, Ben Reiter argues that Adrian Beltre could be the third best third baseman of ALL-TIME and predicts he will be in the Hall-of-Fame.  What if he had never left LA?  How would that change things?
  • TV of  all the Cubs games has been wiped out here, so I have to use HideMyAss.com.  Yesterday’s game felt discombobulated!   But, I’ll take it.
  • Let’s hope for Good Cappy today… and the wind blowing in!

Kick-Off-to-School

44 Responses to “Alan Porter is a Moron”

Wow. A lot in that post. Well done.

First, without going into much detail, I can say this about Obama Care (The Affordable Care Act actually). The ACA boils down to this – health care costs were bankrupting this country. Everyone knew this, and is not up for debate. For 98% of Americans the amount of income paid in taxes won’t change much at all. The Obama Care Act, as most like to call it, reduces the deficit, puts money back into the economy and creates jobs. In fact, this act provides the greatest middle class (what’s left of it) tax cut in healthcare history. I am not sorry to hear you are in the top 2% in this country. Good on ya mate! Obviously, you are doing just fine and can afford your health care costs.

Now, on to the Dodgers.

I think Seager will likely spend ALL of next year at AA so I am fine with where they sent him. He is 19 years old. We won’t likely see him until he is 21 or 22, and that is IF he handles the next few steps well. You just never know. Dee Gordon sailed through all the minor league systems, making the All Star team every where he was, and you know what has happened to him.

If you look at Mark Ellis’ splits, you will see he is a remarkably streaky hitter. – .342 in March/April .200 in June/July and over .320 in July/August. I still worry about his ability to play a full year and hope that his August/September numbers don’t look like his June/July numbers did.

I prefer my AAA team close to Los Angeles with similar night air to Dodger Stadium. Indianapolis would not provide that. Rancho is a short bus ride from Dodger Stadium with similar night air. Make the necessary changes to the stadium (they put millions into Dodger Stadium, they can do the same in Rancho) and make it happen.

I think you could be right about Crawford and Ethier, though to trade both is risky. If Crawford proves to be tinsel, he would be tough to dump. It would be very costly so, we might be better served to have him as our 4th. Yeah, expensive, but if the team is selling out Dodger Stadium and making the play-offs, they can afford it. Outfield is not where we need to make improvements.

Ryu will need to skip some starts in August and September. He should be starting the same number of games he did in his home country, which was 28-30.

I say again, for the fortyleventh time, and proved every time with articles to back it up, Beltre was offered a reasonable contract to stay in Los Angeles, but made a choice to go to Seattle for that extra year. He didn’t NEED to leave, he CHOSE to leave. F him. He’s not a Dodger and hasn’t been for some time.

More later……….

2. Corey says:

Good luck with the leg Mark.
    I was able to get to Chicago to catch the game yesterday. It’s unreal how much Korean press follows Ryu’s every movement. Great game to catch, other than what appeared to be a very tight strike zone, although it’s hard to tell from the seats behind the dodger dugout.
    I think the Dodgers are going to be stuck with Crawford good or bad for his contract, but I doubt Ethier will be back next year.
    Marmol still looks like a mess. Cubs fans sure let him have it pregame, while he was warming up and as he entered.

3. Idaho al says:

Badger, You and I will never agree on Politics. Please do not bring it up on this site. This is Dodger baseball and not a political site. You are great on Dodger baseball and keep it there.

Dodger baseball–I agree Mark that the bullpen has been great. Marmol does not look to me like he fits. League has been doing well lately. When his sinker is working, he is great.

It seems to me that Donnie is doing a much better job of managing the pitching staff. He now has confidence in the bull pen and is not afraid to remove a starting pitcher. It looks like Fife is going to start on Sunday. Maybe going to a six man rotation, to give the starters an extra day rest, may be good. Mattingly can then use Capuano or Fife as the long reliever.

I have been on Colletti all year. In the first half, I never agreed with any of his decision. Now, I agree with all of his decisions. The decisions he made before the break were all good decisions. I really believe that Mattingly has more influence on the type of players he wants and Colletti is going along with his request. I do not know this for sure, but just my opinion.

I didn’t bring it up al. Re-read Mark’s post.

And I don’t expect agreement from anyone. I do my own research. You can do yours.

Mark, did you enjoy that trip to South Florida with A-Rod two years ago, when he took you down to The Clinic?? See, both of you are on the hoof. Do you have any of those Dodger cookies left???

I never wanted Beltre to leave the Dodgers. I still have my Beltre jersey. He will be in the Hall.

Ethier is a mystery. I watch other young hitters around baseball today (especially on the MLB Quick Pitch). Others seem to have a swing and the ball just flies out. Ethier used to do that — but now, far and few between. He has lost something of his hand to eye coordination.

Back in the 1960s, I saw about 50 games in Wrigley Field. Some days it is just nice and perfect. Other days — wind blowing in and pitchers have too much wind behind their pitches, other days wind blowing out — that also causes problems. And some days it is a cross wind and that is terrible on everyone.

Bottom line there: there are games like yesterday where teams look out of sorts. Pitchers are off. Fielders are off. Throws are off. Umpires are off. And players do get kicked out. But that is the place!!!! So, suck it up today . . . the Dodgers should have scored bunches of runs yesterday.

A.J. looked terrible at the AB with the bases loaded and K’d.

Don’t be too hard of Ryu, the game prior he went 7 innings giving up only 2 hits. Not shabby. Yesterday was tough on the field.

Yesterday the Cubs out hit the Dodgers by 5 hits AND received 6 walks (to the Dodgers getting only 1 walk). So that is 10 more base runners than the Dodgers had.

If I were calling the shots, I would leave Marmol in AAA or AA for a month to work on his control. Watching him as a Dodger (so far) — he does not know where he is throwing the ball. His release point is different each time. Like he just wants to throw hard and heave it.

Give him work on the lower levels and get it back together. SVS has some concentration issues. Getting picked off base was bad, looked like Puig out there.

I think I agree about Marmol. Why is here? He can only safely go in with a 4 run lead. Let him work on his issues at AA. I would say AAA but you cannot work on control issues in mile high stadiums. He needs to be at sea level.

I didn’t want Beltre to leave either Roger. But, he did have his “career year” the year before he left LA. He did not earn his money in Seattle and they were happy to see him go. Take a look at his best years – with us and with Boston. Both contract years. And of course he is doing well in Texas. All decent hitters do well down there. In that park in that lineup, I think I could hit .280.

One more thing I meant to mention earlier…. Mark may in fact look like Festus (I can see the resmemblance) but it was Chester that walked with a limp.

Mark, when it comes to Gunsmoke I pre-date you. I not only remember Mr. Dillon and Festus, but also Chester. I loved that show, and watched it for its entire 20 year run (1955-1975), and still occasionally watch the re-runs. In fact, you may or may not know this, but it was originally a half-hour and later expanded to an hour.

Sure you don’t have the same doctors as Kemp? We heard that he had x-rays, but never that he had an MRI.

60 Vicodin’s in a weekend? That’s 30 per day. I’m surprised you’re still lucid enough to write that post above.

My guess is that Seager begins 2014 at Rancho, and if he produces, moves up to AA later in the year. Let’s not forget that he’s still only 19. And he probably doesn’t see Dodger Stadium until about September 2015. But before we start penciling him into the Dodger lineup, let’s see how he does when he moves up to AA. That’s usually a big test. And because he’s still playing short, don’t be too quick to pencil him into 3B. That’s probably his most likely destination, but he could end up at short (probably not likely), or even 2B. Middle infielders that can hit for power are very desirable. A lot will depend on other moves the Dodgers make, and the progress of our middle infield prospects, both from the draft and international signings.

I don’t know if the Dodgers will trade Ethier and/or Crawford, or even if they can. Heck, even Kemp could be traded. I don’t even speculate about stuff like that, simply because I think the Dodgers are capable of just about anything, and not necessarily anything that resembles any formulas we have.

Marmol? The guy still has good stuff, but clearly he’s not ready now (and maybe never) for prime time. I would think that he’s the first guy to go when our Beach Boy is activated. And there’s still Jose Dominguez who could somehow find his way back. And if Wilson is effective, that will really help to lengthen our bullpen.

Ryu probably is feeling the effects of pitching in a 5-man rotation and not just once per week as he did in Korea. I suspect that he will be better prepared for it next year after experiencing it for the first time this year. But with Fife getting the start tomorrow, and everyone being pushed back for an extra day, I’m sure that will help. Also, if the Dodgers can continue to outclass their division, it’s possible that they can build up a sufficient lead in the standings to allow more rest for the entire rotation as we move through August and then into September.

Puig didn’t look too bad in the middle of the lineup yesterday, and he’s beginning to flex his muscles a bit lately. He’s got tremendous power, and I believe that ultimately he’ll be a 30+ HR guy. Not sure I wouldn’t just keep him there for the remainder of the year. And if Kemp returns (still a BIIIIIIIG IF for me), he might even benefit from hitting near the top of the lineup (maybe 2nd, where he had success not too long ago). That, of course, will depend on whether or not he will have regained his patience at the plate, and is hitting the ball up the middle and to the right side.

Brooklyn, looking at this lineup, between now and October, who would you choose to give an extra 20 at bats in front of Gonzalez and Ramirez to?

Agree about Seager. If he tears up AA at some point next year, he could see a late season call up, but I don’t expect to see him at the ML level until 2015. And he did show up on the top 10 list of SS prospects yesterday. #8 if memory serves me. That would be very cool.

A little trivia, when I played for the Canoga Park Woodland Hills Little League All Star team in 1960, we played against Encino (beat ‘em) and on that team was Dennis Weaver’s son. I think his nickname was “Steamboat”. Weaver was in the stands leading cheers. My mother was excited. All the parents were. It was really fun for all the players too. We all got a chance to meet him and shake his hand. What a thrill.

Its my opinion that all the Dodger starters could benefit from 6 days now and then. If Fife is successful, I would put him in there at least for all of August. If it works, keep it up for September as well.

10. Watford Dodger says:

Mark – that decision from Porter was so wrong it was unbelievable.
    Quas has been saying for ages how bad the umpiring has become. He is right.
    Saw a stat last night that I’d forgotten. In 88 Rickey Henderson stole 98 bases.
    That’s a lot! Wouldn’t mind him leading off for us this year.

I understand your point Badger. Having Puig in front of Gonzalez and Hanley makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it, I was a bit thrown off by Hanley not starting yesterday. Puig in the middle of the lineup would generally put him 5th, not 4th like yesterday. Also, his speed makes more sense higher up in the lineup. With Agon getting the day off today, I wonder if Puig hits 3rd.

And if Kemp should get back in the next month, as things stand now, he’d likely be best suited for to 5th or 6th.

Regarding Alexander Guerrero, I wouldn’t yet include him as an option at 2B. According to MLB Trade Rumors above, there are 3 teams still vying for his services, including the favorite Dodgers. I wouldn’t count on that chicken unless it hatches. And then I’d want to see him play.

12. Quasimodo says:

Today another historic day? Could be! Dodgers winning 35 of 54?….keep our fingers crossed-that’d be 94 wins. Tough games ahead. Amazing turnaround, friends. Cheeeeeers!

In 222 plate appearances Puig has a .423 OBP. Until he showed me it was a mistake to put him there, he hits lead-off for me. If it doesn’t work we can always go back to .320 OBP guys we have been using.

I see we are back to the JV lineup again.

15. the truth hurts says:

Nothing like Fox blacking out another Saturday game….Guess its Braves and Phillies…..Nevermind, I’m gonna go try and hit some golf balls.

And Badger, What do you mean JV lineup? You don’t like seeing Hairston, Schumaker, Van Slyke, Fedex and Capuano hitting back to back to back to back to back? Your crazy man. If that is not the World Series ticket, I don’t know what is. I am actually pretty happy now that I don’t get to watch the game.

16. Rob says:

Everyone is getting their rest before the St. Louis series.

Not blacked out here. I could not get it on MLB, but it is on network TV. Wonders never cease.

Add me to the blackout list. Decided today to listen to the game on MLB.tv audio.

Two terrible at bats back to back by Crawford and Puig. Swing at strikes, ESPECIALLY with the bases loaded.

No truth, don’t like this lineup. Donnie seems to like resting everyone on the same day.

League – 4 pitches two outs. That’s efficiency.

Good Cappy.

Excellent job by League to get out of that. I say bring him back for the 8th to get him work and rest the other guys

After the pen was used a lot Thurs and Fri, Cap was brilliant in allowing the pen to rest today.

Clutch hit by Crawford after the pathetic at bat the inning earlier.

Go team.

This is pretty funny; however I doubt anyone claims him:

The Dodgers have placed reliever Brandon League on waivers, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (via Twitter). League is obviously a notable name that could draw interest from clubs seeking relief help, but his contract could be a deterrent. League is owed $1.5MM for the rest of this season, $7.5MM in 2014, and $7.5MM in 2015 with a vesting player option for 2016.

I don’t like where Van Slyke holds his hands. They are letter high in front of him. As the pitch is on the way he moves them up and back. He has been late all day.

Dodger pitching. Yes.

24. Rob says:

Donnie is slowly working his way back into my good graces. He has made a bunch of decisions in the past that have cost the team loses but he is making decisions now which have created wins.

25. the truth hurts says:

What happened to Puig?

26. Quasimodo says:

Thumb contusion – DTD.

27. jerry says:

i agree with badger…why rest every one on the same day…yes we won ..but that is just stupid.. may be two ..but not 4

28. Quasimodo says:

I just read elsewhere its his wrist rather than thump.

Everyone didn’t rest on the same day.

Yesterday Crawford and Ramirez were out of the lineup.
    Today is was Mark Ellis, Uribe, Gonzalez and A.J. Ellis. And I believe that Gonzalez was actually scheduled for tomorrow, and came up sore before today’s game, so it was decided to rest him today.

Also, although Fedex is not officially Capuano’s personal catcher, it has been working out that way recently.

Also, the Dodgers got into Chicago on Thursday at about 4 am. Some of these guys needed a day. And also, what would you prefer, Mattingly give some players off against the Cubs, or wait until the Cardinal series?

Oh, and Ethier and A.J. Ellis didn’t start the game on Thursday. Looks to me that Mattingly spread it out. And like I said, Agon was only out today due to soreness.

32. Quasimodo says:

Only one team in the division won today.

how many guesses do I get?

Of course not everyone was being rested. But with four of the eight position players as back-ups, it just seems like it. I don’t know that I have seen a team rest starters as much as Mattingly does his. Usually it’s one, two at most, a night in summer. Who rests tomorrow? We get Wainwright on Monday.

Not a bad road trip so far, hey?

Resting starters is good. Long long long l-o-n-g season. And it weighs in on the body and the bennies will show in the post season.

But is scares me to see: Punto, SVS, FedX, Schu, Hairston, Cruz out there starting on the field . . . all at the same time (earlier in the season . . .

My call: the Dodgers need to try and upgrade catching over the winter.

Last season, I wanted them to rush in and sign Yadier Molina when he was available. Just give him a big contract he could not say no — so this season he is hitting .330 and a great catcher. Ellis is a nice catcher, but the Dodger really do need more. FedX is still a AAA catcher. Folks, this is now a championship team looking to strengthen the entire lineup and catching is in my view.

36. Voldomer says:

Mattingly rested a lot of guys yesterday, but isn’t a series against the Cubs the time to do it? My only complaint is that it happens during games I can attend!

That said, the “rests” weren’t horribly numerous considering the playing time patterns already established. Uribe has become the semi-regular at 3B, but it is not unusual for Hairston to play. Same at catcher with Ellis and Fedex. Mark Ellis is not an every-single-day player this year either, though I would have assumed he got his rest Friday. ;-)

“But is scares me to see: Punto, SVS, FedX, Schu, Hairston, Cruz out there starting on the field . . . all at the same time” Roger

Me too.

“Mattingly rested a lot of guys yesterday, but isn’t a series against the Cubs the time to do it?” Voldy

Well, when you put it that way….. yeah.

But why not today? Why against one of the Cubs best starters? Wouldn’t it better that everyone who has to face Wainwright on Monday face Smardzjia on Saturday – then give them a day off on Sunday?

BEcause — when Donnie wins manager of the year — he can say, and on 32 occasions I managed with one arm tied behind my back and three fingers crossed.

It does do something else, gets these guys some playing time. Maybe the biggest complaint I have, is it is in A game, not spread over a week (most times).

I think getting into Chicago early Thursday morning (I’ve read 4 A.M. and 5:30 A.M. – really no difference) had something to do with the number of players rested. Remember also that they got in around 5 A.M. after returning from Toronto, and had to play the Reds that night (one of the two losses on their homestand). I also think the Dodgers would rather do it against the Cubs than the Cardinals, and also Agon was probably added to the list belatedly due to soreness. And one other factor. It’s not a giant lead the Dodgers have (3.5 before yesterday’s game), but it is a lead nevertheless. This team has suffered enough injuries. I think it’s prudent to give some of the players a day off, especially the older guys. And Fedex was probably in their yesterday instead of today to catch Cappy. And one other thing. The Dodgers schedule shows only one off day in August.

Roger, I believe that Molina is out for a considerable time with a knee injury. So thankfully, we won’t see him during this series. And I like our catchers, both of them. Both throw exceptionally well, and they’re not helpless with the bat. Ellis is a solid on base guy, has occasional pop, handles the pitching staff exceptionally well, and is solid defensively. Fedex got off to a slow start with the bat, but without checking the numbers, I believe they have improved markedly since the slow start, and he too is solid defensively. Really couldn’t ask for a better backup. If the Dodgers surround their catchers with good offensive players at all the other positions, then there is no need for an upgrade, unless it’s something they just can’t say no to. If anything, the Dodgers need to trade for or develop a young catcher, since Ellis isn’t getting any younger. But at 33 next year, he’s probably got at least a couple of productive years ahead, especially if the Dodgers have a good backup that can give him a breather on occasion.

Sound logic Brooklyn. But I still would given guys today off in front of a nationally televised game against one of the best right handers in the league. That’s just me and my resume has me coaching 8th graders and Jr College women’s softball when Donnie was making Major League All Star teams.

It’s a long month in the heat of summer. Not that many youngsters on this fragile team. Time off is a good thing. The Dodgers only have two players who have played over 100 games. Obviously Donnie has a plan and is sticking to it.

41. Mark,

I am youngster and I love gunsmoke. One of my favorite westerns. I watch the repeats on tvland all the time. Festus is one of my favorite characters. Great reference. (not great that you have been ill, I with you well) I hope you feel better Mark, keep up the good work over here.

42. I couldn’t resist commenting. Perfectly written!

Also visit myy web-site :: bandage dress