Winning cures almost everything!

You sure have to feel a lot better about this team after the last week, but if you are honest with yourself, you still have to have some trepidation.  Here’s why:

• The clutch hitting is better, but not great.  It took fourteen hits to produce 6 runs.  The Phillies produced 16 runs on 21 hits the night before.  The Dodgers have to get better in this category to continue to win.
  • The defense is still horrible… and the defensive concentration.
  • The Manager is still Don Mattingly and I have almost no confidence in him.
  • I have no confidence in the training staff.
  • There are some old guys on this team.

That said, I would warn the Dodgers to resist the temptation to trade for another starter.  They are set at 1-3 with Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu.  Capuano, Lilly and Fife should be able to handle the last two spots and Ross Stripling can’t be far off.  If the Dodgers could get Zach Lee for Ricky Nalasco, I would jump at the deal, but Stripling has to stay.  Of course, the Marlins will want Stripling.  They see the difference between him and Lee.

Matt Kemp may or may not recover his swing this year, so I see him and Crawford as platoon partners with Ethier playing CF when Matt is out.  Matt has to understand that it is what it is now, not forever.  Crawford will certainly benefit from playing 3 or 4 days a week and pinch hitting.  If these guys will accept their roles, this team can continue to move.

Dominguez looks to be a difference maker.  Vin said the same thing I did.  “He looks like Pedro.“   Chris Withrow scares me – his pitches are straight and he has poor control.  I prefer Steve Ames.

The Dodgers have five players who can carry a team at times:  Puig, Ramirez, Kemp, Gonzalez and Ethier.  Puig and Ramirez are the studs, but the others can also step up.  They need to at times.

This team needs to be above .500 by the break.  They can do it, but will they?  Before the season, I said I would not be surprised if they won 81 games or 95 games.  I still stand by that, but hope for the 95!

90 Responses to “Winning cures almost everything!”

1. Dodgerdog says:

“Puig’s definitely brought an energy and a spark to us, and his skill level, I think, is a little more than anybody anticipated it would be,” Fife said.

I couldn’t have said it better, except I did. Time to pray that the training staff doesn’t “help” Puig. No Puig = Houston (Los Angeles) we have a problem.

2. Watford Dodger says:

The biggest thing in our favour is that the West is weak meaning that even after our poor start we are still in it unlike we would be in other divisions. These results from the last ten days are great but the basic weaknesses remain. Kemp probably will regain some power but needs to sit when Crawford ( best player April/May ) comes back. Crawford shouldn’t be underestimated and was posting some good numbers before his hammy went and is without question the best lead off man we have. Let him get on with his speed and get scored by all the hitters behind him. AJ seems to be finding some form which is important going into second half. However the platoon at 3rd is failing. An upgrade to a producing 3rd baseman would make a world of difference.
    The elephant in the room is the Bullpen. We cannot win anything with this group. If Ned can get us a couple of decent relievers we have a chance. Withrow doesn’t have enough movement and League is unusable unless we happen to be 16-1 up. Who can honestly trust Bellisario? Can’t rely on Kenley every night.
    We have had a great week yes but are we ready to make an assault on the NL and beyond? No.
    We won’t continue at this pace and our slumping divisional rivals will come again. We need to improve to go forward – this team can only go so far. Over to you Ned.

3. Robert says:

Mark,

Nolasco has not been pitching good baseball and I would not trade a serious prospect for him. Why are you ready to give up on Zack Lee who’s only 22 yrs old and pitching fairly well at AA. Unless you think he wont make it?

Personally, I think we can do better with Stripling and Lee. Either in trade, or letting them pitch here.

Nolasco is a good pitcher. I mean, look at his stats. He has double digit wins in all but one year he has been in the Majors and he is an innings eater – something we desperately need. He has an ERA+ of 100 this year, that’s not bad and a whole lot better than Capuano or Magill. He carries a 1.2 WHIP against the NL. We would be well served to have him the rest of the way. But, is it worth BOTH of those minor league arms? eh…. not so sure about that. Who knows, maybe one of our two young arms could come up and do the same thing. I doubt it, but, hey, who saw Puig coming?

July is a HUGE test for this team. 9 straight division road games, and 15 of 25 games on the road this month. If this team comes out of July with a .500 record, they did a damn fine job.

6. Bobbie17 says:

You are right, Badger. July has to be the time, too, to start dominating your division. So far, the division record is terrible. Must change that in July. No trades. Tweaks in the bullpen personnel and changes in the way it is used should help. How about Paco? To finish the game, 4 pitches, 4 strikes. And a K. He is a closer in the making.

Zack Lee for a 3 month rental in Nolasco? No thank u.

8. Quasimodo says:

HanRam hitting .500 with runners in scoring position for the month of June. And he’s been doing just fine at SS. We’re getting great baseball….FINALLY!

9. jerry says:

i dont want the dodger to trade either./.to me he is a top notch outfielder..he has been getting on every night for a while now ..but seem we leave him on base every night.

OK, so far sounds like the jury is leaning toward a quitel – as in quit trying to trade our young stallions for an old stud past his prime. I can live with that.

now watch jed do it

Fires here in Arizona are filling our skies with a horrible color. It’s like Mars out there. We aren’t in danger yet. Fire is west of us by quite a bit.

11. HawkeyeDodger says:

Mark, I agree that Stripling may be the better prospect, but we can do much better than Nolasco for Lee. If we are going to use one of our top chips lets get a real upgrade either in the pen, starting pitching or 3B.

Mark is right about one thing; this defense blows!!!

It’s sad when Uribe is our best infield defender. I’d LOVE to get 2b that is a flat out gold glover.

13. AnewBlueDay says:

I think the bullpen is done. Bellisario, Dominguez, Howell, Jansen, League, Rodriguez & Withrow will hold the fort.

Starters. Kershaw, Ryu, Greinke, Fife, & Capuano will have to eat out the innings.

Catchers. They are working out.

Infielders. Gonzalez, Ellis, Ramirez & Uribe; backed up by Hairston, Punto, Shumaker

Outfielders: Ethier, Kemp, Puig, Van Slyke

Sooooo adding the two young guns last week seems to greatly help the pitching because of who went out. ONLY replacing Capuano might happen for the right deal.

I think the rest of the team is set. Ned has Ellis, Punto, Schumaker to play second.

Gordon is always down on the farm for emergencies.

I do not give away a blue chip minor leaguer for a weak 5th starter. Only if Capuano or Fife fall on their faces by the end of July and cannot get anyone out — there are there . . .

What really turns this team around is — if Kemp finds himself and can hit .300 with 20 HRs and 50 RBIs the rest of the way. Dodgers have played 81 games, so 81 games to go.

Whew!!!!! According to the above, we could have lost Dominguez in the Rule 5 draft this past winter. He was left unprotected. I have to think that he was left unprotected and not taken for perhaps the same reason, i.e., his suspensions for drug use. What other reason(s) could their be for a youngster that hits triple digits not being protected or drawing any interest? Almost inconceivable. You would think that some other team would have gladly paid $50,000 to at least get a look, especially since they could $25,000 of that money back by returning him to the Dodgers. I’m speechless.

“they could GET $25,000 back….”

16. SpokaneBob says:

I would only trade Ethier if it got us good 3rd sacker.

We can afford. 4 outfielders.

17. Watford Dodger says:

Agree with Spokane – need production at 3B plus a longman in the pen. Maybe Cappy again if we trade for a starter.

18. Quasimodo says:

Somebody fill me in on why Carlos Marmol?

19. Bball says:

No clue. He’s owed 5 million too. Stupid move if it happens.

CARLOS MARMOL HAS PHOTOS OF NED WITH SHEEP.

That\’s the only possible explanation.

Just when I start to come around Ned does this kind of stupid stuff.

21. Quasimodo says:

“Winning cures ALMOST everything” This Marmol issue has all points scratching heads. So surfing around my question remains the same….Somebody fill me in on why Carlos Marmol?

22. Quasimodo says:

I read elsewhere that Marmol is Spanish for League.

23. Voldomer says:

The Chicago reporter who broke the Marmol rumor says (on radio) that the Cubs may get Luis Cruz back in the deal. They have no reliable backup SS. Another team also wants Marmol.

Here’s my personal speculation: Marmol is being acquired to replace either Withrow or Dominguez. Think about it–one or both was showcased this weekend. What starter will one of these guys bring back? My hunch is that Dominquez is the bait. Designating Guerrier and Cruz opened spots on the 40-man roster; presently LA has only 39 there, so Marmol will make 40 (assuming the deal happens). Then the player Ned gets back in the next deal (for Dominguez, probably) replaces the guy LA gives up.

24. Jason says:

Pretty sure marmol has blown more leads than league this year

25. Jason says:

Deep down Ned is really a Giants fan

26. AnewBlueDay says:

Prediction: Dodgers get Marmol. He come on the 25 man roster. Pitches once and goes 3 up and 3 down.

Ned then quickly signs him to a 3-year $30,000,000 contract. And his locker is located next to Uribe.

27. AnewBlueDay says:

OK, in reality if Ned traded for Marmol, and gave them Cruz and one other marginal pitcher or field player — fine. Maybe this guy can get his act together.

I always thought his delivery was like Bob Gibson . . . get his straightened to the plate and the ball moving . . . what a diamond in the rough.

Come on guys…. somebody do some research in here!

I can tell you why Marmol makes sense:

he’s lights out from August on. In his career he has 243 K’s in 185 IP and a WHIP around 1.2. He also has a career BAA in Dodger Stadium of .179. The Dodgers need bullpen help. Maybe a change of scenery is just what this guy needs. The Dodgers won’t have to give up anything to get him.

I say.. what the hell, go for it.

According to this above, the Cubs could pick up all or most of Marmol’s remaining $5 million, and maybe someone like Guerrier goes to the Cubs. If that’s all it is, then I agree with Badger, “what the hell, go for it.” If they wanted anything significant from the Dodgers, then definitely no.

Dominguez looked really great. Not so Withrow, who though he would appear to have significant upside, it also appears as if he’s in need of additional work. Marmol could be a bust, and he could also be a boon.

30. DodgerDude says:

Dominguez will not go to the Cubs. Put down the crack pipe.

31. Voldomer says:

DodgerDude, nobody things Dominguez will be traded for Marmol.

I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if Dominguez is part of the NEXT trade (probably for a starter). And it might not be that bad a deal. He likely has significant value now, especially after Sunday’s performance, but he also has two MLB drug suspensions in recent years. He certainly seems to have great potential if he can put everything together. If he is traded, I hope it is for someone who will be in LA long-term and not another Blanton or Victorino sort of acquisition.

Brooklyn, I saw that too about Guerrier, but I don’t think that makes as much sense for the Cubs as Cruz does.

The only thing hotter than the Dodgers is the temps out West{and the Pirates], you OK Badger?
    103 in Northern Utah, Ogden to be precise, and the Central air has been running 24/7 for days now. Don’t want to open a can of worms but if you don’t believe in Global warming, you have your head up your ass.
    Hate, off days

Oh yeah, my sympathy for the firefighters, I’m sure many whom were just kids tryin to do the right thing

34. AnewBlueDay says:

Michael, I believe that part of the term Global Warming — is both too much rain/snow and too little rain/snow. Best to use Climate Change . . . But it seems to register more with folks when it gets real real real hot, like now.

Like the Pirates and Dodgers are both playing. It is also call Players Attitude Change. Giving a damn and showing it on the field.

Tonight the Giants lost, the Padres lost, Arizona right now is tied 3-3 in the tenth.

35. Bball says:

Michael 128 is the high for Death Valley tomorrow. The low 97. 12freakin8. Who would put themselves through that. So it could be worse. Also read an article how the hotels there are sold out with people wanting to experience the extreme heat. There are some dumb ass people in this world today. By the way 134 is the hottest degree ever recorded and it was in Death Valley 100 years ago

36. Quasimodo says:

108 here today and humid enough to keep the cooler from working.

Very sad about the Prescott firefighters. Prescott is where my VA hospital is and I know a few folks down there. My dentist lives where the fire is. We are several miles from it, but the sky is thick with smoke. There is a sort of an orange yellow color to everything. Still close to 100 here, but it is supposed to cool off to 96 soon.

Michael Young, also a SoCal guy, is an upgrade, but I would rather have Utley. Maybe he could come here to help win a championship, the go retire as a Phillie. Oh, wait, he would retire as a Phillies.

I don’t believe the Cubs can be expecting much for Marmol, but if anyone would overpay, it is our guy jed.

38. Quasimodo says:

We just gained half a game. D-Backs, Giants and padres all lost.

dbacks used 8 pitchers in their 13 inning loss. Am so sorry about that. Parra went down in a crash on the warning track, but I am sure he will be back.

and the midgets lose again. Love it. Everyone in the West but us is on a losing streak.

I say again, the West ain’t all that. We can win this thing.

3.5 back. 9 straight against teams in front of us. This is going to be fun.

40. Quasimodo says:

All next 13 games are in our division.

Badger, I think you missed the 4 games series against Colorado in LA (July 11-14). That makes 13 in a row.

LET’S WIN ALL 13.

You guys are right. I was only looking at the the road games coming up.

It is time to make some hay.

Crawford will be back shortly. Thoughts?

Kasten on trading top-tier prospects…

“If it’s for a piece that would be a piece we could keep for the long term, you’d have to look at it,” Kasten said, “but certainly not for a rental.”

How about three top tier prospects for David Wright? The Mets know they are going nowhere this year. Could be time for them to look to the future.

44. Dodgerdog says:

Where’s the love for AJ Ellis? With the Bay of Puig and resurgence of Ramiriez, AJ has been overlooked. I think some of this streak falls on his shoulders, as well. He has been throwing out basestealers, he’s been driving in runs, he has flat=out been a key ingredient to the recent success.

With that said, I don’t think any of this gets ignited without the Bay of Puig however. Excitement is contagious, and Puig has infected the whole team, not to mention the fans in the stadium, no Dpdgerdog sales when Puig is coming to bat in an inning.

Bay of Puig? Are you sure you want to use that?

46. AnewBlueDay says:

The closest race in baseball is the N.L. West — with 5 teams only 3.5 games apart and the season is just half over.

Could not have asked for more.

Mark, is this DodgerTalk board ready???

I trust this team much more now that a month ago. Key players are coming back and for the most part, are contributing to the caliber of play on the field.

I just do not see Ned standing pat. He will make some change of uniforms.

The Dodgers will make their push to better this lineup AND the pitching staff. The moves are coming.

There is so much left in the season! Even after the trade deadline, which isn’t for another 4 weeks, there are roster moves and trades that can be done for quite a while after that. Players clear waivers all the time after July 31st. Who wants to take on a $15MM+ contract at that time of year? Well, we could do it.

It’s a loooonnnnngggg season. This team is looking better all the time. And the prospect of what Kasten & Co. can do going forward is, to us old guys who know not to give up by June – VERY EXCITING!

OK, David Wright is not likely, I get that. Just signed a huge contract, says he wants to stay in one uniform blah blah blah…

how about a 30 year old Robinson Cano? The same top tier prospects could maybe land him. He has at least 4-5 good years left in him. Anyone interested in overpaying (you know that will happen) and having Cano in the middle of our lineup?

48. AnewBlueDay says:

. . . yeh, two weeks after becoming a Dodger, he goes down with a leg problem. Sits a while. Comes back and all of a sudden get the Steve Sax disease — cannot throw the ball the first base for an out.

Then, he goes into a slum, batting wise. Punto takes over at 2nd base. Then Ellis, then, Sellers, the Shu, then some single A guy comes up.

And then 10 posters here say — see, he was on the wrong side of 30.

For mid season upgrades, I doubt we see many teams offing guys in their prime.

50. Jae says:

Ned will make a bonehead move. I am sure of that!

Cano is eligible for free agency after the season. I’m not sure, but I think his agent is Boras. That said, he isn’t going to agree to anything long term now, so I wouldn’t be inclined to invest heavily in prospects for him. Unless he signed long term with the Dodgers, he’d just be a rental. In fact, even if his agent isn’t Boras, he’s unlikely to sign anything before he hits free agency, and everyone gets to bid on him.

You guys crack me up. These super star types are all accustomed to, and want to, bat 3, 4, of 5. Who of all our stars we keep wanting to acquire is willing to bat 7th and be a role player for this team, despite being paid $25 mil year?

They all have egos. You tell me Matt Kemp or HanRam will say “oh gee, i’ll bat 7th for you guys and not be considered the star anymore?”

Robinson Cano will not come here to bat lower in the lineup and not be treated like a star.

53. jerry says:

the dodgers when making a trade ..seem,s to wait until all the good player are good ..then we take the left overs..i been watching this for a couple of yrs now..why do we wait..go out early and get the one you really want..

54. jerry says:

good players are gone.. anouther type o.

55. Quasimodo says:

Well lets hear it for the other teams in the division! Cheers! Great bunch of guys for streaking with L’s during our streak with W’s. How could it of gone better? A week ago this looked next to impossible. Its been much more than anybody could even hope for. We all been too afraid to hope for this much. Other fan bases are more interested in watching Dodgers than their own teams.

56. AnewBlueDay says:

Jerry, that was the old ownership. Least we forget the Boston trade was under new, and when it broke — surprises and basically similes.

57. Rob says:

So marmol for Guerrier, I like that. They even sent cash with the trade.

58. Dodgerdog says:

Bay of Pigs, a glorious moment in presidential decision-making (JFK), NOT!

Bay of Puig, a glorious moment in Dodgers management history decision-making, NOT breaking camp with a phenom.

Okay, innocent Americans died in the Bay of Pigs, but innocent Americans died in Benghazi, that doesn’t seem to be a problem. So I’ll quote one of our beloved leaders (snicker), Hillary Clinton “What difference does it make?!!!!”

Obviously no sense of history dog. Say whatever you want. I doubt anyone will buy into a Bay of Pigs reference for our best young player. Not gonna bite on your Hillary comment.

Bobby, Cano bats second. Why in the world would you try to put him in the 7 hole?

New homes for two guys that have hit walls. Good idea.

59. AnewBlueDay says:

Mormol is to bring in about $10 million this season in all.

With that, he could hold a pretty good party.

What is up next?

60. Quasimodo says:

Dodgers and Reds both win tonight and Giants will be in the rear view. Guess that the Marmol deal was less scary than we feared. But how could we be blamed? Actually we came out on top in that one.

61. Dave says:

thanx bobby i appreciate that post ! it is what it is !

Where are our international signings?

Marmol will go to Albu where he will be challenged to throw the ball over the plate. Good luck with that there. If he can throw strikes, he will have value.

Dave……………………..

that’s it… just… Dave…….

Puig wasn’t even born when the Bay of Pigs happened, much less even thought of. Possible that his parents weren’t born then either.

Based on Gurnick’s article on the Dodger site, the Dodgers only pick up about $500,000 in additional salary. And the part of the deal I like best is that the Dodgers pick up an additional $209,700 in cap space to sign international players. International signing period begins today. That additional cap space is probably tantamount to getting a prospect in this deal, and is further evidence of the Dodgers’ commitment to re-build their farm system. And who knows, maybe Marmol finds himself with the Dodgers. This is a guy who, if memory serves, at one time averaged 15 K’s per 9.

And there are superstars who appreciate being in a loaded lineup where they can’t be pitched around. Cano would likely bat near the top of the Dodgers lineup, although that could be influenced by the fact that he hits lefthanded, and might not follow the lefthanded Crawford if the latter were leading off. But he’s not a Dodger now, so why even bother speculating. Actually, if Kemp finds himself and Cano were signed, it’s even conceivable that the slow footed, and less powerful A-Gon could find himself hitting 7th. But next year is next year. Right now I’m concerned with this year.

Cano can hit wherever he wants as far as I am concerned. We can work around it. What a lineup that would be. I still want Crawford in the two hole.

Nothing on what the Dodgers do/did today? I see a lot of signings, but nothing yet on the Blue.

66. Dodgerdog says:

I love it! Oh how I love it!

Puig is going to be tough to resist as an All-Star, can Boche possibly resist? Likely being he’s the Giants manager, but it’s not right.

Swap one DFA’d reliever for another, Who knows? What difference does it make? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t, might as well take the risk. Although we will be calling for Marmol’s head when he blows another game for Kershank Redemption.

I hear Kool-Aid is still a very popular drink, not with me but there are still some fans of the beverage. On that beverage subject, damn Fred Claire for dropping the Hideous Orange Drink in the stadium, it sucked but it still meant I was at Dodger Stadium when I ordered it. That flat, orange nastiness was a must-have.

Bay of Pigs is in Cuba. Bay of Puig is in LA. Both Cuban but one a great shame and the other source of great pride. Get over yourselves and relax! “Too Soon?” doesn’t apply anymore, as Bricklyn pointed out, it’s ancient history, what difference does it make?

Badger, if you’re referring to international signings (international signing period opened today), I wouldn’t be concerned about the Dodgers not having inked anyone yet (at least not publicly). The signing period stretches from now until the end of next June. Lot’s of time.

Yeah, I know. But I didn’t think they would wait to make a splash. There is a lot of talent that is getting scooped up. If they know who they want, and I assume they do, why wait?

“it’s ancient history, what difference does it make?”

Obviously none to some. So, stick with it if you think it’s clever.

Puig Name Meaning

Catalan: from puig ‘hill(ock)’ (Latin podium ‘platform’), hence a topographic name for someone who lived at a high place, or habitational name from any of the numerous places in Catalonia named with this word.

70. Dodgerdog says:

Bay of Catalonia, doesn’t have the same ring, but what difference does it make?

So does Catalonia make it into the All-Star Game, let’s get the pulse of this board.

Yea, he makes the show or Nada, he stays home?

Give your feedback.

I vote Yea for Catalonia

71. AnewBlueDay says:

On Cano — The Yankees are not going any where. They would have to heal everyone and bring in a bunch of new players.

I think Cano might see that the real future is with the Dodgers and have a nice 5 or 6 years with Kershaw, Puig, Kemp and company.

Done signing.

Schilling thinks he should be there. It’s the fans show, so, I am sure most fans would love to see him there. And since it would generate more interest in the game, I am sure MLB would love to see him there too. I would not be at all surprised to see him added to the roster.

Cano would be an excellent fit here. Somebody will be willing to offer 7 years and be swallowing an olive at the end of the contract. But if he is as good as he has been for 6 more years, it would be worth it. He is an East Coast guy, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him stay back there. Utley is from Long Beach, so, maybe he would find a few years with the Dodgers cool.

73. Rob says:

Great start to the game! Puig was screwed on that strikeout.

74. Rob says:

Love watching the midgets get no hit!

The trash from the bay just got no hit by Homer Bailey of Cincy. We win and we finally get out of last place!

76. Rob says:

Puig is a triple away!

77. Quasimodo says:

That’s some chemistry those Giants have, eh?

78. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark, is this the way you expected the Dodgers to play back in early April?

Tonight is a hitting machine.

Puig and this cycle stuff is coming up like every game now.

79. Idaho al says:

Great game tonight. Kershaw was awesome! I cannot believe Puig can continue to do what he is doing. Even our defense looks better. I just do not think Kemp is going to get it going this year. He must be hurting. His last at bat would of been a home run in years past. We have enough good players around him that we can wait for him to come around. That is why I would keep four outfielders.

80. Idaho al says:

Badger, the Dodgers did sign three international players. Two from Venezuela and one from Germany. The two from Venezuela were 16 years old and the one from Germany was 17.

81. Rob says:

Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball and second isn’t even close!

82. jerry says:

like i said before , team are starting to make trades..but the dodger sit back and wait ..just like every yr..so we always get what left over..