The Puig who saved the Dodgers

You can’t help but notice the sheer joy and enthusiasm with which these Dodgers play.  The hitters are confident.  The pitchers are confident and even the fielding is improved.  Yasiel Puig has saved the Dodgers… not matter what happens from here on.  He saved Don Mattingly’s job and probably a few players jobs (in LA), at least.

Yasiel Puigs enthusiastic, borderline cocky, aggressive, joyful brand of baseball has infected the whole team.  Sure, it didn’t hurt that Hanley was resurrected from the DL, but Yasiel is the source of the Dodgers new-found style of play.  When he faultered a little (he’s still OPS’ing 1.002 after almost 200 AB’s) some people called for him to be sent down.  Please!   That’s like cutting off your nose to spite your face.  He’s the Messiah for the Dodgers.

Sure, he makes some bonehead plays -  he thinks he is bulletproof, like many kids.  He will cause you to shake your head in disgust at times or shake your fist in triumph!  Yasiel Puig is a magician and he saved this Dodger team.  I’m glad he’s on our side.

Dodger News:

• Thankfully, no more trades were made.  The Dodgers only foe is injury.
  • I hear Dee Gordon is looking a lot like a second-baseman at AAA.  They only question is:  can he hit?  I don’t count on it.
  • Now, it’s time to Keshaw Kuroda.
  • P.S. Still getting a battery of tests done.  I still can’t walk and they don’t know what is wrong.  So far they have eliminated blood clot, gout, cellulitis and neuroma.  I’m about ready to head to Mayo Clinic.  I have been off the pain meds for three days, as they gave me 3 cortisone injections into the top of my foot.  Now, it’s just a dull pain.  The crutches and boot are a b_____.

Economical Solutions

54 Responses to “The Puig who saved the Dodgers”

“The ideal situation for Philadelphia would have been to unload the veteran bloat of Young or Lee to a contender willing to take on some high-priced veterans for a chance at a ring. Instead, Philadelphia has insured that it will be facing a similar situation in years to come as the Phillies attempt to dig their way out, while the contracts of aging veterans continue to dump shovelfuls of dirt into their self-dug grave.” Yahoo Sports

Agree with this take. But, that’s pretty much what many (Mark) was saying about the Dodgers earlier this year. You never know when those veterans will all start doing their thing. I don’t believe the Phillies will though.

I agree that Puig electrifies. But some others have contributed as well.

Speaking of well, get that way Mark.

2. the truth hurts says:

Yasiel Puig did save the Dodgers. This team had no identity until he showed up. He has lit a fire under these guys and as you mentioned, saved some jobs. He is, well, exciting. Very exciting.

Get well Mark!

3. Quasimodo says:

Sorry to hear that you’re only getting treated for the symptoms. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon. Best wishes, Brother.

Good luck, Mark. My drink offer of a Macallan still stands.

As far as the Phillies and Cliff Lee, I think we all know July 31 is meaningless, as we can still get the guy by Aug 31. Phil will put Lee on waivers, like last year. Nobody will take him except us, like last year. And Philly will decide what they want to do, like last year!

Meanwhile, must see tv starts in 1 hour!!

5. Quasimodo says:

Thanks truth. Not that there’s any pleasure in having my fears confirmed.

Not the least bit surprised by that news. That was a gruesome looking Injury from a horrible slide. You don’t have to have a medical degree to know he wasn’t coming back any time soon.

And the Phillies will do again what they did last year. They will ask for our three best prospects and not pay a nickel of the contract. Yahoo was right about those guys.

I wish a little of his hustle would rub off on Hanley, between the lines it’s war, photo-ops come later.
    With your mindset lately I had assumed you were better. It is somewhat disenheartening when the Doogie Howsers of the world don’t have a fix but if you believe in yourself, I’m sure you’ll come through with flying colors.
    Get Well

8. AnewBlueDay says:

Well, I better say something . . . to get the Dodgers started.

Kershaw is being out pitcted — again.

Can someone please tell me in plain English or Spanish or Dutch or Japanese or Navajo or whatever . . . just why Kuroda is not a Dodger?

Money, age, depleting skills?

He is making some of the Dodgers look like kids in A ball.

9. Quasimodo says:

Roger, its was timing. McCourt wasn’t gone soon enough. Though said in plain English I’m certain it wasn’t news. Well it was a great July.

No doubt that Puig injected some life into the team, but just having a healthier team also contributed. And Puig or no Puig, the Dodgers owe a lot to Hanley’s hitting. They probably wouldn’t be in first place without him. And the improving bullpen also played a role. And if Hanley, Crawford and Kemp had been healthy all year, Puig may not have even been necessary (although I’m not complaining).

Enthusiasm is a wonderful thing, and no doubt it can play a very important role. But in the end if we continue to get the kind of offensive production we’ve had lately there could be problems going forward. Enthusiasm can take you only so far. In the end there has to be production.

As for Dee Gordon, the one thing that I see which is extremely encouraging is his new found ability to get on base. That’s something he never did before. If he’s truly become patient at the plate, then, I believe, he will become a more controlled hitter. Maybe this is that extra year he needed in the minors. Just imagine a productive Gordon, Crawford and Puig running loose at the top of our lineup. And throw in a healthy Kemp (hopefully). Maybe Gordon is the answer at 2nd base instead of spending a couple of hundred million to sign Cano.

And speaking of the Yankees, the Dodgers got robbed tonight. Overbay clearly struck out, and the Yankees should not have scored in the 9th. And if they hadn’t we would not have been facing Mariano Rivera in the 9th, and maybe, just maybe, we would have won the game in the 9th.

And Mark, get well. The Dodgers will only win if you come off the DL.

11. Jason says:

How do the Dodgers lose when Kershaw pitches?

“Just imagine a productive Gordon, Crawford and Puig running loose at the top of our lineup.”

I have. Many times. Been waiting. For some time now.

“How do the Dodgers lose when Kershaw pitches?”

a. they relax b. he pitches against the other team’s #1.

This lineup, as good as it has been, is not complete. Yes, we need Kemp back in there, and we may not get the old Kemp back. Who sits when he comes back? And yes, we do need more depth at the bottom of the order. And I am still looking for that .400 OBP guy in the 1 hole, followed by Crawford. Crawford is hitting .280 (and personally I think that number would go up hitting out of the 2 hole) but his OBP of .331 is not good enough for a lead-off hitter.

The pen failed again last night, but when the team scores nothin’ it hardly matters. 6 for 30 and 0 for 5 WRISP. Put this one in the refrigerator and move on.

dbacks and midgets both rebounded last night. Hopefully it’s just a blip.

13. Idaho al says:

Get well Mark. We need you. We are struggling a little right now scoring runs. The pitching has been good. We are going to lose some. We are still in first.

I just read in this morning’s Times that Kemp has “not progressed as the training staff had envisioned” and may not be back until September.

Really? I have a question for all of those who thought it was a mild ankle sprain and he would be back in a few days – did any of you, including the Dodger manager and training staff, actually see the play? I took several athletic training classes in college (was in a program to become a trainer before choosing education) and my take immediately was possible, even likely, ligament tears and he could be out for months. Was an MRI done immediately on that ankle? If not why not, and if so, what did it reveal that would cause this training staff to believe he would be back in mere days?

I submit that enough bungles have occurred that this staff should be cut loose first chance the Dodgers get.

I agree with Badger the medical staff has been suspect. Not to mention the strength and conditioning team. How many pulled hammies have we had?

I will say this, Puig did not save the season. Hanley Ramirez did. When Puig showed up he was flashy and got a lot of attention but the team was still losing. When Hanley jumped in to the mix with Puig the team took off.

Hanley is a new guy. From what I have read the WBC win for the Dominican changed his attitude. He wants to win not just be good. He is a leader now. He is engaged. He is a real MVP canidate. He is the Dodgers MVP. Puig is fun to watch but like a big giant puppy in the house. You just don’t want him to run into anything. You are allways afraid he is going to kill someone or himself!

16. emerson-Lake says:

Hey Mark–get well–you’re more important to more people than you realize. I still love the idea of Dee Gordon–I’d say he needs a big winter ball to trust him–and I’d still pick-up Mark Ellis’s option. He’d still a winner. Best to you, Mark.

Kershawed last night. Another pitching battle . . . then that fielding collapse. Those plays (2nd & RFer) just do not need to happen. Minor league stuff like in Long Gone (movie).

What is helping & hurting:

Crawford, last 10 games is .311, but is 0 for is last 8 ABs.
    Puig, last 10 games is .342.
    Gonzalez is .300, but lat 12 AB has only 2 hits.
    Ramirez is .326, but his 0 for 4 last night did not help.
    Ethier is .275 for last 10 games, down a bit, only 1 HR in that time.
    AJ is .244 — need more from him right now.
    Schumaker is .346, doing fine.
    Uribe is only .172 for last 10 games; that is Cruz country. Need much more here.
    Mark Ellis is .400 last 10 games. He has really helped.

Puig should have a good time in Chicago . . . those right field fans will go wild.

Just looked up on the new Dodger catcher Ned got for the stretch run == Drew Butera.

Twins org. 29 years old.

He has 490 AB in the majors with 89 hits, so a BA of .182 (Cruz country).

5 HRs, 41 RBIs.

Total salary so far: $1,529,000 for doing not much.

Drafted in 2005 by the Mets, traded in 2007 to the Twins for Luis Castillo.

Seems to fit in between Fedex and AJ.

19. Watford Dodger says:

Roger have you changed back to your other identity to try and snap our losing streak?
    And Badger – I too think you may be right about Hemorroid/ OD being back?
    Dodgers were doing the 4hour flight to Chicago straight after the game last night, due to arrive at 6am local time. They have got to sleep, eat and then prepare for a game that starts at around 4pm our time! The Baseball season really is intense. I know they get paid a lot of $$$$ but that is hard to produce your best.
    Slightly worried about the downturn in run production. Agon looks weary. Did you see that attempt to get to second last night? Poor decision making. Our next two up, Hanley & AJ both had base hits so he may have scored. Puig is way too impatient. Need him on base more where he can make things happen. CC seems to be feast or famine.
    Also pleased to see SVS back up as his bat is useful off the bench. Think we can write Kemp off for this season. If he does come back he won’t be in any kind of form anyway. Wouldn’t surprise me if we tried to pick up a big bat on waivers if there’s any out there.

I too was wondering about the Dodgers’ medical staff’s culpability in what appear to be erroneous reports (lies???????) regarding Kemp’s status. As I recall x-rays were taken right after the injury, and were negative. However, if an MRI wasn’t taken soon after that, or at least after it was apparent that the recovery wasn’t going well, then it leaves in question the competence of the current medical staff. It doesn’t matter to me what the play looked like, so much as it matters that no further tests were run when it became apparent that it was more than a mild ankle sprain.

“Uribe is only .172 for last 10 games”. Every hitter goes through rough patches, but when it’s Uribe I can’t help but think why I don’t trust having him as our third baseman. His defense is stellar, not so his offense. That’s a position that I ultimately think has to be upgraded.

If Mark Ellis wants to return next year in a utility role, I have no problem with it. However, can he play anywhere in the infield other than 2B? And again, if Dee Gordon continues to show patience and get on base, he becomes an option at 2B. A rangy second baseman with a strong arm is a definite asset. I love the idea of having Gordon and Crawford at the top of the order disrupting the concentration of pitchers facing Kemp, Puig, Gonzalez, etc.

As regards Kemp, I’m wondering if he will even return by September. If the medical staff digs deeper into his failure to heal as expected, it’s very possible that they will find further damage that will require long term rehab, and maybe even surgery. Right now, unless I hear otherwise, I’m not counting on him playing again this year. But if the problem is handled correctly going forward, then I expect that, at the very least, he will be the old Matt Kemp come spring training 2014. In the meantime, we may need a bat via the waiver wire. Any suggestions?

Did Hanley reinjure his hand? If so, there’s reason to worry.

Butera, “Seems to fit in between Fedex and AJ.” Behind maybe, but not between. Tend to agree with Badger that “Unless he is a +WAR defensive player who throws out 40% of would be baserunners he fits nowhere.” However, if he’s just a third catcher for September, probably no harm in carrying him, assuming the player to be named is no one of note.

“How do the Dodgers lose when Kershaw pitches?” Very easily, i.e., if they don’t score any runs. Last time I looked, it takes at least one run to win a game.

• Quasimodo says:

With a $180 million player I’d say its likely Kemp had a MRI that night. Dodgers aren’t getting us up to speed with the truth. Don’t know why its important to keep the world in the dark but that’s what they’re doing. There’s no way that they could possibly be less competent than me looking at a bad slide. Can’t figure what advantage there is in that secret.

21. Bobbie17 says:

I agree about the Puig effect. Reallocation of bullpen started to evolve before Puig. Change in Mattingly’s management style came before that (remember his calling out the team). This team has truly evolved before our eyes, and for once, it has changed in a good way. Puig was the catalyst, though. Without the Puig effect, Ramirez would probably be at around .300, not .400. Without the Effect, late inning wins would probably not happen. Without it, the team would still be under .500. Still a long way to go, though. The Cub series will not be easy. Fun to watch.

22. Quasimodo says:

The main thing Puig brought was ‘raw’. The very thing that kept him in the minors is what this team needed. For all the successful moves he made he showed its okay to mess up occasionally. ‘Raw’ has been a good thing for the rest of the team – less stage jitters.

Dug up some old notes on inversion ankle sprains. There are three key ligaments usually associated with this injury. Posterior taliofibular, calceneofibular and anterior taliofibuloar. If these three tear it is called a Grade 3 sprain. A Grade 3 sprain can be associated with permanent instability. Surgery is rarely needed. A short leg cast or a cast-brace may be used for two weeks to three weeks.

“Rehabilitation is used to help to decrease pain and swelling and to prevent chronic ankle problems. Ultrasound and electrical stimulation may also be used as needed to help with pain and swelling. At first, rehabilitation exercises may involve active range of motion or controlled movements of the ankle joint without resistance. Water exercises may be if ground strengthening exercises, such as toe-raising, are too painful. Lower extremity exercises and endurance activities are added as tolerated. Proprioception training is very important, as poor propriception is a major cause of repeat sprain and an unstable ankle joint. Once you are pain-free, other exercises may be added, such as agility drills. The goal is to increase strength and range of motion as balance improves over time.

All ankle sprains recover through three phases:

Phase 1 includes resting, protecting the ankle and reducing the swelling (one week).

Phase 2 includes restoring range of motion, strength and flexibility (one week to two weeks).

Phase 3 includes gradually returning to activities that do not require turning or twisting the ankle and doing maintenance exercises. This will be followed later by being able to do activities that require sharp, sudden turns (cutting activities) such as tennis, basketball or football (weeks to months).”

We don’t know if any MRI was requested, but I would be damned surprised if it wasn’t. Maybe I shouldn’t be? But in these type of injuries, usually the swelling is so severe, they wait about 72 hours before an MRI is done. Somebody should be asking – what is the level of injury that Matt Kemp sustained in the awkward, painfully amateurish slide?

If those ligaments were torn, and an MRI would tell us this, Kemp may be out for the year. When do we get the report on this?

24. Quasimodo says:

Thanks for going through the trouble, Badger. Now all’s we do is wait for the honest word, though unless they tell us its the extreme there’s no way of knowing what’s honest.

As I remember the dark days of this season, the Dodgers were playing with the “B” squad in just too many positions on the field at the same time. And — the pen throwers were terrible.

We all yelled at Donnie and Ned — but really not till Puig and Hanley came on the scene did it all clear up — and fast.

I just do not want to see Uribe, Mark Ellis, Punto, and SVS with AJ — all playing at the same time. That is a Titanic waiting to happen. Add Cruz to that mix and it is not even a AA team on the field.

An argument was presented here in Arizona that Ian Kennedy’s bean balling is what ignited the Dodgers.

Puig in CF tonight. And that’s exactly where I like him, and it’s where I’d like to him play, even if Kemp comes back.

Agree with that Brooklyn. Put Kemp where he will do the least running.

With Matt being eligible to come off the DL, but not ready, what will be the move and what will be the story.

Ricky get tagged early. These is the Cubs. We suppozed to roll the Cubs.

28. Bball says:

Seems to me like Crawford gets hurt, struggles a week, starts to get in a groove then gets hurt again. I now understand y Red Sox fans were so annoyed with him. By Sunday he figures it out and by next Friday he’s hurt again. Lets hope not.

29. Quasimodo says:

It sure looked to me Puig beat the tag.

30. the truth hurts says:

Wow, I was thinking the hangover would hurt us today.

Shame on me.

Back to the headline above –

Th Puig Who Saved the Dodgers ———-

BUT

Can Puig save himself ?????

Puig doesn\’t need to save himself – he just needs to get locked in a room with A-Gon, Davey Lopes, Big Mac, Juan Uribe, Andre Ethier and Kenley Jansen and have them beat the hell out of him! That\’s the ticket.

No doubt that Crawford could get hurt again. But let’s get the facts straight. He wasn’t out most recently because he got hurt. He had a fever, and that can happen to anyone.

I think maybe Crawford and Puig should switch places in the order. Puig isn’t my ideal lead-off guy, but he keeps getting on base at over .400 and that would help Crawford considerably, which would also help the 3-5 hitters.

Nolasco with only 82 pitches? Howell with 20 to get 2 outs. 5 pitchers to beat the Cubs. We should be able to do that with no more than 3.

35. Bball says:

I no he had a fever and it can happen to anyone. It just always seems to be something with him. He’s getting paid either way so does he really even care if he plays. Who knows. All I’m trying to say is I wish he’d stay healthy cuz I think he’s great when he’s on. Not trying to bash the guy at all.

36. Bball says:

I’ve been thinking the same thing badger

37. Rob says:

What a difference the Jensen league switch has made.

38. Quasimodo says:

Just how does an umpire get away with that kind of crap? They’re just getting way too outta line.

could not get on earlier . . . then busy . . .

Dodgers look terrible today. Saw just parts of the game . . . but player, manager thrown out . . . home plate umpire is no friend.

Game seems out of sinc . . .

Wahapin?

I bin out and about doing important things and missed everything.

Another win. ho hum

this team is poppin!

Just saw the controversial call that got our guys ejected. Porter missed the call, then overreacted. He will have some explaining to do, but the league will back him and nothing will change.

Corey Seager promoted to high A ball; Rancho Cucamonga

44. Watford Dodger says:

First time at Petco tonight to see the Padres whip the Yankees. Great stadium.
    Still think we should look at Headley for 3B next season – he’s looking much better now and last year’s figures are exceptional. I know they will want a lot but he could cement 3B for a number of years. Cano will want a lot of money but he is still dangerous and has a great glove and we gave no 2B in the system( forget flashgordon ). Those two would really give us a load more offensive punch.
    Lets go for that 13th road win. C’mon Cappy – let’s hope it’s a going day.

1. [...] The Puig who saved the Dodgers You can’t help but notice the sheer joy and enthusiasm with which these Dodgers play.  The hitters are confident.  The pitchers are confident and even the fielding is improved.  Yasiel Puig has saved the Dodgers… not matter what happens from here on.  He saved Don Mattingly’s job and probably a few players jobs (in LA), [...]… [...]

2. [...] old friend Hiroki Kuroda and the Yankees on Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium. more… The Puig who saved the Dodgers – ladodgertalk.com 08/01/2013 You can’t help but notice the sheer joy and enthusiasm [...]