The KershawKemp Redemption

Rants & Raves over the Nats vs. Dodgers

• The fans in DC are exceptional.  If I had rooted for the Dodgers like that in Oakland, I’d be in the morgue right about now.
  • A Nats fans asked me “How old is that guyI know he’s older than Uribe.”  “I said why do you think that?”  To which he replied “I’ve watched him walk back and forth to LF all game and he looks like he’s old.“  I realized that he did drag back to LF and the bench.  Yeah, get all happy that Carl Crawford went 3-5, but he just looks old to me… and evidently others too.  He just doesn’t look right.  Hopefully, he will revert to his early season form and shut me up.
  • I did think about leaving when Brandon League came in, but I didn’t.
  • The Dodgers need to do whatever it takes to keep Hanley happy!  Happy Hanley = MVP!
  • Matt Kemps’ ankle is not a big deal.  He walked off the field fine.  I doubt he will miss a game.  He also apologized for not running and admitted his guilt.  Case closed.
  • I watched Clayton Kershaw’s warmup routine and he stretched for a full 20 minutes followed by long-tossing from foul line to foul line.  If more players warmed up like that, I think there would be a lot fewer injuries.  I watched him throw a seed from RF to LF that didn’t get over 7 feet off the ground.   I’m shocked that SAC didn’t respond.
  • Did I hear someone suggest that Kemp should be put on the DL the rest of the year?  I’ll tell you this:  the Dodgers won’t win without Kemp.
  • Bryce Harper is hitting .263 – send him back to the minors? I think not.    Puig is at .369… be patient!
  • You all need to pay me to travel with the team. They have a perfect record with me.  So, take up a collection and send me $2,500 a game and I will bring you a championship!

27 Responses to “The KershawKemp Redemption”

1. Quasimodo says:

Okay, the check’s in the mail. Mark, did you see that slide @ M.S.T.I.? At the minimum it’ll be hell in the way of bruised. Its pretty likely he won’t be a happy camper when he wakes tomorrow morning. Hope I’m wrong and will be happy if I am, but, it sure appeared a very unnatural bend. We’ll see. Glad your wife’s gift turned out so great. The timing was perfect – a sweep!

2. Anonymous says:

Mark, you must of had a great time. Two pitching duels and then a laughter. I hope Matt is ok. It looks more to me like he may have just rolled his ankle. If that is the case, he will be sore for a day or two and then back. We need his bat. He looked more disciplined when batting yesterday. On to Toronto.

3. Idaho al says:

The last post was from Idaho al and not anonymous.

“Matt Kemps’ ankle is not a big deal. He walked off the field fine. I doubt he will miss a game. He also apologized for not running and admitted his guilt. Case closed.”

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the game.

I would be VERY surprised if this case is “closed”.

Looking at that video close up, I cannot imagine him being back in the lineup today. What a dumb play, beginning to end. Time on the DL did nothing to help his hustle. One of the first rules of baseball, from Little League to the Majors – when you are on the bases you run hard. Everyone, including Kemp, knows this rule. The only exception to that MIGHT be a pitcher running to first on a routine ground ball.

So another bonehead play by our leader and he is, once again, questionable. Even if he does play, how effective can he be after rolling his ankle like that? Shoot it up, wrap it up, DH him and hope for the best? Yeah, I guess that’s one approach. Resting it a week is what any trainer worth his/her carbon would recommend.

Crawford now looks – “old”? You just don’t like that guy do you? He is 31 and in better shape than anyone on the board has EVER been. Follow him around in his training routine and see how quickly you drop out. 4 for 5 (yeah, I am giving him that hit) with a stolen base and RBI’s and run scored and what ever else he did and all YOU saw was him moving slowly on and off the field? Great observations McTimmons.

Pay you to travel? With the money you make selling water tools, you should pay us to come in here.

Trying to find an update and am finding only ” day to day” references. If I was in charge there would have been an MRI last night.

6. Joseph Olivas says:

Im jealous u went to a 3 game sweep Mark must of been great! Most likely kemp will miss a couple his ankle is swollen…

7. dpwtv says:

Matt Kemp is not in tonight’s starting lineup

8. Quasimodo says:

Seems that the word is still’mum’. Kemp’s ankle is TBD. From experience I know that ankle injuries are much more painful the next day. We were told Kemp didn’t need X-Rays but he did have X-Rays last night. I’ll bet he’s already had an MRI today and won’t be in this game even as DH. I don’t want to be correct about this. Its just hard to see it differently. @#$%^&*!

Of course you had it right Quas. It didn’t take a medical expert to see that injury was serious. Like you said, ankles aren’t built to take that angle. There has to be some tissue damage. I’ll bet it’s the size and color of a large eggplant today. The MRI SHOULD have been done ASAP. Never listen to an athlete when he tells you he will be ready to go.

9. Davey Lopes says:

Ankle injuries are injuries that keep giving and giving, you can feel much better and then just a slight misstep can set you back again, over and over and over. Kemp is in another injury cycle, once again. He bounces from one injury to another. Lack of hustle always seems to bite you in the ass. There just seems to be a real lack of maturity in this guy, I’ve lost count of the excuses that have been offered in his defense since he came up, from bad baserunning errors, to lack of hustle plays, to swinging at stupid pitches and watching great pitches, to having his head up his ass (maybe even on the verge of sulking). Whatever the case, there always seems to be an issue with this guy. Hope he can somehow grow up in the near future.

Crawford is probably just nursing injury, that has a way of making you move like and old man. For the record, I’ve been in as good of shape for periods of my life as Crawford. That said, nursing injury can age you overnight, however, once nursing ends that old age look and feel can end also. I’m not concerned with a 31 year old looking like an old man, give him some time to fully recover and we will like what we see.

10. Bball says:

Braun busted. Garbage. Gets a guy fired for his screwup. That’s Arod territory. Garbage garbage garbage. Go to hell Braun

11. Quasimodo says:

Geez! The thunder here is just a steady roar-still a distance but messing with my directv. Hope I’m able to watch the game. Lost MLBN but KCAL is working. Sometimes I lose internet connection when it rains-verizon. Rain’s coming down now! Hearing flash flood warnings for this area now on KCAL. 2 years ago electrical storm wasted my TV.

12. HawkeyeDodger says:

Mark, I watched Kershaw’s warm up routine at spring training and was amazed at the accuracy of the long tossing from such a distance especially with the crowd standing right behind his warm up partner.

Why would we want Crawford wasting energy going forth and back between the dugout and LF? If he does that while playing it’s one thing, otherwise it’s irrelevant. And if looking old and lethargic will get him 3 or 4 hits every game, I’m all for it.

And Kemp is out of the lineup tonight.

“Lack of hustle always seems to bite you in the ass.” Just like Kemp’s lack of hustle bit him in the ass when he crashed into that wall in Colorado last year. It’s amazing how selective some people can be. No doubt that that was a bonehead play yesterday, and Kemp has owned up to it. And no doubt he’s had problems at the plate this year, and has been less than selective. And of course, that couldn’t possibly have anything to do with his surgically repaired shoulder. It couldn’t possibly be because his shoulder is hindering his swing, and he’s jumping too quickly at pitches to compensate for what he perceives to be a lack of quickness on his part. Problem with Kemp, is that every time he makes a mistake, some people feel the need to magnify it out of proportion. For the most part Kemp plays hard, maybe too hard. And he has a problem of trying to play when he’s hurt. And while admittedly that’s less than smart, it bears no resemblance to a lack of hustle.

Maybe the comments offered up in Kemp’s defense are not excuses at all, but a recognition that he’s been beaten up physically despite the fact that he works hard, and comes ready to play everyday. Matt Kemp came into ST this year clearly having lost weight through a strenuous workout program over the winter. The man works hard, and is respected by his teammates and coaches alike. I guess that’s not enough.

14. AnewBlueDay says:

Just getting back. Spent day at 2 hospitals. Morning for Chemo, afternoon with wife for foot/ankle surgery — just returned.

Mr. Puig is up with bases loaded. He swings three times, and not one ball was over the plate, all well outside. He is still a mess.

Ethier is Mr. strong. AJ is Mr. Clutch — 4 zip so far.

Ethier almost did a Kemp going to home. Will these guys ever learn to hustle?

15. jerry says:

well i dont like the long toss for pitcher…it is two different throw ..and to me that is why all the pitcher have arm trouble..i played a lot of ball in my day ..and i never see that back in the 60 . like i said that is why we have so much arm trouble for the pitcher..just my view

16. the truth hurts says:

Mark must have flown to Toronto as well….;)

So happy Braun was caught properly this time and suspended.

Buster Olney has a great article on espn.com about how Braun is the Lance Armstrong of baseball. Feel sorry for the nice people in Milwaukee; he was their superstar and he lied to each and everyone of them.

In other news, our team is fun to watch!!

If he can get his act together at the plate, maybe Puig should be our center-fielder with Kemp moving to the RF.

19. the truth hurts says:

Snakes down 3-0…Here comes 1st Place!!!!

20. Quasimodo says:

Chicago is up on Arizona 3-zip. Go Cubs! It’ll be a nice view from the top when we’re there alone!

21. the truth hurts says:

X-Ray on Kemp is negative

22. AnewBlueDay says:

How about the x-ray on his head. He has the body, talent, presence — but just has made a few mistakes over the last couple of years . . . like dogging it the other night.

Matt should be “the man” in the N.L. and all of MLB. He still can be. Being called one of the leaders of this team — and then not playing like one all of the time just does not fit . . .

MRI. When THAT comes back negative I will feel a lot better.

You are right Roger – Kemp should be at the top of the league stats every year. He has that much talent and he is making Super Star money. He is in his prime and had better examine his life and do what takes to keep himself on the field. I have said for a while now he should move to RF. Puig in center makes sense athletically, but he’s likely to kill himself going full speed into a wall.

Suddenly our pen looks pretty good. We got it going on. I told you guys this was NOT a last place team.

I remain confident.

24. Quasimodo says:

Well cheers all! Dodgers solely hold 1st!

25. Rob says:

Never would have thought first place would come this quick.