Should the Dodgers Chase Utley?

According to the Phillies, he isn’t for sale, but if they drop out of the race by the end of the month then they might consider trading him, but who knows what will happen?  They are .500 right now and could go either direction.   Personally, I don’t think Utley is going anywhere.

If the Dodgers did trade for him, they would have to give up some pretty good prospects for a player who has a recent history of injuries and would be best suited to act as a DH in the AL.

As much as I would like to Chase Utley, I think it would be a bad move.  Just my opinion…

summer-sale

57 Responses to “Should the Dodgers Chase Utley?”

1. Bluenose Dodger says:

Mark – as i stated yesterday, if the Dodgers are going to trade prospects then get the bat that will be around for a few years, not a guy who is a free agent at the end of the year and will be 35 next season. That is, trade prospects by all means, as there is little room on the Dodger roster for them, but trade big.

I know Joc Pederson will never be a Dodger and there are young arms that will not be Dodgers. The Dodgers can make a nice package for a young impact player. Probably won’t happen but I would love to see Kyle Seager as a Dodger when Corey arrives on the scene at the end of 2014 or early 2015.

2. AnewBlueDay says:

Garza is fine . . . but I think hitting is more of a weakness. Like the two games the Dodgers just lost against the Rockies, and almost did not win the 1-0 game.

When some of the key hitters sit out with injuries or whatever — those reserves just cannot do what they need to do.

Nose,

There are a few prospects I would trade, but not for a player like Utley. That sounds like a Ned move though and it scares me. I have been wanting Seager for a couple of years now. I\’m sure he could be had but the Dodgers would have to pay a ton for him. That said, would you trade Lee, Stripling, Reed and Pederson for him? I\’m not even sure Seattle would do that unless you included Ethier and $40 million.

I’m not sure anyone around here has suggested that the Dodgers trade top prospects to rent Utley. I’m not sure what kind of package the Phillies would want, and I’m not sure how badly they would like to rid themselves of Utley’s contract. If the price is too high, I agree with you that it would be a bad move. On the other hand, if the price is reasonable, then he would probably be a good addition. Maybe such a deal is not possible, but it’s certainly worth the Dodgers exploring.

Bluenose said, “I know Joc Pederson will never be a Dodger and there are young arms that will not be Dodgers.” Maybe. And maybe not. I’d hesitate to say “never” about almost anything, because as we all know, you never (there’s that word) know. And I’m sure there are some young arms that will never be Dodgers, and I’m also pretty sure that some of them will be.

Things will likely happen in the next couple of weeks. And there’s a chance that some of them will be things we haven’t even thought about, or even things that we now think impossible. It seems almost certain that this ownership will do whatever is necessary (within reason) to improve this team.

I imagine that a lot of the thinking about what prospects to trade is determined by management’s analysis of their entire system, and whether or not they have younger players they think will be able to replace the ones traded. A lot of international talent has been signed, and it appears as if the Dodgers did OK in the draft. Maybe the Dodgers would be willing to trade what some of us perceive to be top prospects if they think they’ve got some hidden gems to ultimately replace them. And while they wait for some of that younger talent to develop, they’re more than willing to add expensive contracts to win now.

The McCourt years decimated the Dodgers farm system, especially with respect to international talent, and only second and third tier free agents were signed. That’s all changed, and I think the Dodgers are now focused on WINNING period, i.e., winning NOW and winning LATER. So with a better view of the bigger picture than any of us has, they may do things most of us would never even consider. Whatever Stan Kasten is, it’s certainly not a fool. And it appears that he has surrounded himself with solid baseball people. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t expect any dope fiend moves. Mistakes are always possible, but that goes for any team.

It has been asked and not answered – why would Seattle trade Seager? Don’t you think there are guys in other chat rooms saying ” we should get that Puig guy from Los Angeles, or maybe we could trade a couple if guys for Kershaw.” It just doesn’t work that way – unless of course you live in Fantasyland.

To the question – the answer is a resounding YES! Provided of course it’s a good deal. What’s a good deal you ask? Good question. What’s the goal? A championship this year? Or a three year commitment? Makes a difference. If the plan is he comes here like Victorino did, then the cost is minimal. He comes, helps us win and then goes back to retire a Philly. That could be had for as little as some cash and a PTBNL. He comes to stay, it’s more costly. I would just like to see him here, in his home town, for the rest of this season. We would be my h improved offensively with he and Ellis splitting duty.

6. AnewBlueDay says:

Really, there could be no end to bring MORE players in to play for the Dodgers and win big.

Seager for 3B

Utley for 2B

Garza as a starter

Someone for the pen

Another for the bench (with power)

Cost: probably 8 to 10 key minor leaguers and mucho cash.

Total Dodger salary goes up to a Zilion and 4 dollars.

7. Tdf says:

Good afternoon gentlemen , realistically what would it take to get seager? And are there any rumors about him being traded?

“Should the Dodgers Chase Utley?”

I like what you did there, Mark.

My answer is, “No, but we should Kyle Saegar?”

However, one of our dreams is gone now; Jose Altuve signed a 4 year extension with Houston.

I do like the idea of overpaying, if we have to for a YOUNG asset that’s already proven and that we control for the next several years. No more old guys who pull muscles left and right.

“What would it take to get Seager?”

I can’t wait to hear the answer to that.

Finding guys on the way up IS the difficult task. That is precisely why you need to develop your own. When teams control a player they have no need to trade him. Seager is controlled for 4 more years. What you must look for are the young guys that are free agents, but even those guys are likely to be offered contracts. Sometimes teams don’t wait that long, they sign their guys early. Paul Goldschmidt is an example of that. I just looked at the FA pool of third baseman for next year. It ain’t inviting.

I don’t have an answer for third base other than trading for a veteran. I’m ready to hear some realistic ideas.

10. Anonymous says:

What about will middlebrooks.

Speaking of acquiring young talent:

Miguel Gonzales, the 26 year old Cuban defector pitcher, was officially declared a free agent today, free to sign with anyone.

Time for us to sign the 26 year old, which either gives us great depth, or allows us to trade a Lee or Stripling or Reed for other needs.

12. Jason says:

Kershaw didn’t get the nod to start the all-star game?
    Wow

13. AnewBlueDay says:

No, he did not — but I understand from an unnamed source — that he is a backup for the HR contest.

14. the truth hurts says:

The National League clearly does not care about the outcome of the All Star game. Puig would be there and Kershaw would be starting.

Anyways, Utley would solidy the lineup IF everyone stayed healthy. If Kemp/Crawford stay on and off the DL while Puig has hip issues, it would probably not be worth it. This team is constantly walking on eggshells, to many damaged goods. We see what happens when we go “Puigless”- the JV squad is uninspiring and Gonzo and Hanram can’t do it all themselves.

But with this lineup HEALTHY, punch the tickets:

Crawford L
    Puig R
    Gonzalez L
    Ramirez R
    Utley L
    Kemp R
    Ellis R
    Uribe R
    Pitcher

I salivate thinking about it…

Me too truth. That is a scary lineup.

Middlebrooks? Any reason to believe he is available? The Red Sox have another top 3b prospect in the pipeline. His name escapes me (Cechinni or something like that)
      He isn’t as close as Middlebrooks, who was sent back down, but…. maybe.

15. Anonymous says:

No just a thought. Havnt Heard anything on seager either. I noticed they sent him down so was thinking they weren’t as high on him anymore. And yes they have cecchini, bogarts, Iglesias, middlebrooks and even Stephen drew on the left side so just thinking maybe they could afford to lose him

Good thought. A young player in an organization that has depth at that position. Maybe they would take pitching in return.

16. Pete M. says:

If I were the Philly organization, Utley goes nowhere. Lets not pull the plug on Pederson quite yet. Kemp comes back God knows when and my man CC really worries me with his inability to stay healthy… Someone mentioned bring Pederson up now and I say why not???
    P.S. One thing I noticed when looking up some of these kids in the Futures game, was that Joc P. doesn’t hit LHP. Darn, another one!!!

Ok math majors, will Kershaw not pitching until the third game after the break cost h a start at the end of the year?

I will not be surprised to see some Dodger prospects enter the Top 20 list sometime this year. Our system is CLEARLY better than it has been for many years. Lee, Pederson and Seager are all rising. And I expect Urias to slowly move into a top 20 position, though certainly not until he turns 18, which isn’t for another two years. We are also heavily in on the Gonzalez sweepstakes, so, stand by.

Things are looking up. I remain confident.

19. Pete M. says:

OK Badger, I dusted off my abacus and found that there was too many variables. But I did conjur up that he will starting for LAD in the first game of the NL Playoffs…Sweet…

20. Pete M. says:

Badger, I figure we go all out for P Gonzalez…Were on a Cuban Roll right now with Puig and Guantanamo born Onelki Garcia, 6’3″ 220 LHP @ AA… .050 ERA in his last 10 apps…

I worry about the long term focus of Puig.

Do we not have handlers for this guy? I get it 22 yrs old in the big city you deserve to have fun but…. C’mon man. Stay off TMZ!! He s partying with Snoop Dog and Chris Brown? Quality guys I’m sure. Maybe we should hold onto Joc Pederson. I’m just sayin

We could trade him to Kansas City. That would prolly end the Snoop party. I am concerned too.

Sign Gonzalez and that might end the Garza rumors. I think that guy could step in this week.

I’ll put my own math to work later. If it comes down to the last day and we need a win I would rather not be handing the ball to Capuano.

Anybody seen George Zimmerman? Talk about a guy who needs witness protection.

23. Quasimodo says:

Can’t say I’m all that jazzed for this game today, so it’ll be a long time till Friday. If MLB really wanted it to have any real meaning it would be more than a one game series. But that would cut even more into the season I’m too anxious to get back in swing. Snoop quality? Hmmm, I guess he is to a generation who looks at the term ‘Pimp’ as more a compliment rather than an insult. Maybe I’m more closed minded than I thought and should change…..stick an ostrich feather in my hat and……naw, nevermind.

Snoop does a lot of charity work. He’s cool. Yeah, he smokes a lot of weed, but I don’t hold that against anybody. If more people smoked weed instead of drinking, we would have less problems in this country. Chris Brown can fall off the planet as far as I am concerned. No loss.

Can we just get this Biogenesis thing over with please? Enough already.

Only watched a few swings of the HR contest. Don’t really care. Might watch some of the game. Depends on what else is on at that time.

Still haven’t done my math. Just got home.

I actually like the MLB All Star game. I always have. It isn’t the same since inter-league play but I still like the best against the best. Kershaw pitching to Davis or Trout. Verlander up against Harper or Posey. Thats pretty cool.

26. SpokaneBob says:

I would like to know what you guys think about getting Young from the Phills to upgrade 3rd.

Apparently Gonzalez isn’t the only Cuban pitcher available. How about Dalier Hinojosa. This from MLB Trade Rumors (above).

Maybe the Dodgers should sign both of them. I can’t remember the name(s), but I believe there is a Cuban outfielder or two also available.

If he was cheap, I could go for Michael Young. Then again, I don’t think it’s a secret that I don’t trust keeping Uribe at 3B. Young is having a pretty good year for a guy almost 37, so maybe he’s got enough left in the tank to give us a solid 2nd half.

29. jerry says:

just wondering about uribe , how many miss played ball.s does he have.. i dont recall him making any.his glove is as good as any.

Have you guys heard this new rumor I made up?

The Guggenheim Group is currently putting together a package to invade Cuba and sign all ball players available for travel.

I would put money on the Dodgers signing Miguel Alfredo Gonzales. Is he any good? Who knows? But that is what I said last year when the Dodgers signed some unknown Cuban kid….

31. SpokaneBob says:

Funny DR

32. Watford Dodger says:

I’d like us to try and get Headley – he’s young and although he’s slumping now he will be back. Uribe has done well but Headley would be a big upgrade. The Padres may want to trade as he won’t re-sign with them.

33. AnewBlueDay says:

Looking at the players introduced at the All Star game . . . some I have really no knowledge about or even really knew they are all-star types. KC has a bunch there.

But not many Dodgers would have made it. Maybe AGon, maybe AJ Ellis, but for on the field players — Hanley is just back and Puig is just up and the rest are either injured or just not that good. Maybe Ryu but that is about it.

Getting ready for Friday . . . and back to the season.

Hope Clayton, assuming he pitches tonight, keeps his Kool.

Looks like the Dodgers are putting that $400,000 in extra international cap money to good use.

Give this farm system a few more years, maybe even less, and we’re going to start to see some premium prospects.

35. AnewBlueDay says:

Suggestion for the Home Rum Derby yesterday, for next season.

They should have the pitches with the most hit batsmen pitch from the real rubber, and throw hard with their best stuff. Then let those hitter swing away:

Here is the list right now of hit batter, by pitcher:

13 – Doug Fister
    10 – Ian Kennedy
    10 – Justin Masterson
    9 – Stephen Strasburg
    9 – Hector Santiago
    9 – Julio Teheran
    8 – Roberto Hernandez
    8 – Paul Maholm
    8 – Jason Hammel
    8 – Lance Lynn
    8 – Chris Sale

For some reason, watching 50,000 people, paying who knows what to get in to the stadium, and then on food and drink, parking, etc, buying stuff in the shops — then cheering as batting practice pitchers throw up lolly-pop balls to these big hitters is not baseball — it is show-off time.

Heck Mark or Badger could hit 4 or 5 out with how they do it now.

Revision A; Since Kid K only threw 14 pitches plus warming up that is really normal throwing between starts, lets bump him up a day or two in Donnies fantasy. Just sayin…

Works for me.

I did the math. Kershaw should get 13 more starts. And he won’t be starting the last game of the year. But then, math wasn’t my major.

37. Anonymous says:

Watching the all star game it feels like I’m watching the dodgers jv team. One hit come on aren’t you guys all stars. I bet puig could do better

38. Pete M. says:

Come on Friday…Lets get this thing started. Tough road trip, but a good test of what we got going into the second half…

Saw most of it. Twas a snoozer.

Ok, now that its over, the drive to the 31st. Always an interesting time of year.

40. AnewBlueDay says:

The N.L. needed Punto, Sellers, Uribe, and Shu in their lineup and they would have pulled this one out.

41. Quasimodo says:

So Rivera won an Oscar. Guess he deserved it. I don’t get real enthused watching non-Dodgers baseball so All Star Game game can never be a nail-biter. Glad the players see it as a great experience and honor and all, but its really a weak test.

When I was much younger I really got into this game, but with the distancing of the fans from the enormous egos and millionaire players I can’t get excited about it anymore. It’s like the many self aggrandizement award shows that are out there – “look at us! We are not common like those of you who support our lifestyle are.” I just don’t need it. As a fan I will continue to watch the game, just like I watch movies and listen to music, but the award shows? Meh, I could takes it or I could leaves it.

42. Pete M. says:

Couldn’t agree with you more Badger…
    I always laugh when I hear the quality start ref. used in MLB today… I wonder what these two preety good pitchers would think of that metric???w
    !963…Juan Marichal pitched a 16 inning shutout over the Braves and threw 227 pitches in that game alone. Opposing pitcher Warren Spahn went 15 1/3 innings throwing a shutout until Willie Mays hit a homer in the bottom of the 16th to win the game. Spahn threw 201 pitches at age 42 on that July day.
    Damn near 3 quality starts each!!!

43. jerry says:

so these rich son of a gun ..get a new corvette..i sure he has two in his garage already..

Roger,

I guarantee I could hit 5 with my 35 inch 38 ounce Reggie Jackson model bat!

I would need my metal DiMarini to hit one.

46. Adrian says:

Trade Idea
    1. Kinsler for Ethier, Cash
    2. Utley for Z. Lee, M.Ellis, Cash
    3. Cano, A-Rod for C.Crawford, Lily, League, M.Ellis, Uribe
    (I Like this!)
    4. R.Weeks for M.Ellis, Castellanos
    5. A.Pujols for C.Crawford, Lily, League, Uribe (Pujols at 3B)

47. AnewBlueDay says:

I miss my Dodgers winning or losing tonight . . . where is baseball when you need it.

48. Jason says:

In other news…my softball team won tonight. So there’s always that I suppose.

49. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to return the desire?

.I am trying to in finding things to improve my site!I
    suppose its adequate to make use of a few of your ideas!!

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]