Puig isn’t Superman

But he’s pretty good.  Look, did anyone expect him to hit .300, let alone .369 after a slump of several games?  Did you really think he would keep hitting .400+?   It’s really pretty silly to be down on him now that he’s hitting a mere .369.   He’s 22 years old and next to Hanley Ramirez, he’s the best hitter on the team right now.

Send him down and don;t let him back up unless he can hit .500.”  Wake up, people!  This is baseball – the game of streaks.  If Kemp returns today, maybe he should sit this one out, but back to the minors?  Please!  Maybe if his BA drops to .220, but not at .369.  Are you mad?

It was another nice win last night.  Greinke had no control and was behind every hitter but kept battling.  He’s also hitting .406.  OK, maybe Puig is just the 3rd best hitter on the team.  Can Zach play 2B?

Puig has cooled down and Hanley will likely do the same.  The Dodgers need someone else to step up.  Who will it be?  The pen was great last night.  Withrow was filthy and Jansen slammed the door again.  My greatest fear is that we will see Brandon League today.  If he starts warming up, I am leaving the game.  I am serious!

Greinke-1

Greinke had good velocity but poor control… but the Dude can rake!

Withrow was just plain filthy!

greenwave-15

Withrow-1

44 Responses to “Puig isn’t Superman”

1. AnewBlueDay says:

“Maybe if his BA drops to .220 . . .” Mark, for a while this season, the Dodgers had like half the team hitting .200 or less.

Yes, I expect more.

Puig’s last 10 games he is hitting .220. With zero HRs and ZERO RBIs. Also, he has 16 Ks in that time with only 2 walks. He is also 0 for 10 in his last tries.

That is Cruz territory. Sure, he looks mean and strong and will hit the next pitch out, but he needs some new focus, a time-out.

Sure, he could play today, come in in the first inning, and hit a HR, and we all feel he is over it. But he really looks terrible. Friday night he did have that long and high fly ball to deep left field — that was close.

OK, play him, and I will vouch that he goes 3 for 4 today.

Pretty much agree with you about Puig. This is a game of streaks, which is one of the reasons we always say it’s a long season. No doubt that Puig has some adjustments to make, but the talent is unmistakable. Today would probably be a good day for him not to be in the lineup. I was originally thinking it would be good for him to be out of the starting lineup for a few days, but maybe not, considering that the Dodgers will be needing an extra bat for the next few days in Toronto.

Maybe if Puig continues to slump we can replace him with Greinke in RF. Not only can Greinke hit, but he has the arm for RF. And all that talk we heard in the past about Greinke’s anxiety disorder was a lot of bleep. He definitely has a disorder, but it’s controlled by medication, and apparently has no adverse affect on his performance. The guy is tough, and I love the fact that he protects his teammates when it’s called for.

The one thing that does worry me now is that the Dodgers have eight more games before they get another day off, and the bullpen has already been overworked the first two days after the All Star break. It would be nice to see some offense to take the pressure off the pen. Otherwise Mark, you might have to leave the game. Will you leave the game if the Dodgers build up a 10 run lead, and League begins to warm up?

Hanley will likely cool at some point. However, since Hanley hit .342 over a full season in 2009, I’m not sure we will necessarily see a full fledged slump from him. Maybe he’ll slow down and hit only .280-.300 for a few weeks. But Hanley isn’t immune to slumps (no one is), so he could run into a dry spell. Maybe when he does that, Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford and Andre Ethier will all pick up their games.

And some were asking if he was the next .400 hitter.

This is the big leagues. He came up and they threw him strikes. Now they are being a little finer, and he is doing what young, undisciplined hitters do – he is swinging hard at everything trying to hit the 5 run homer. Brooklyn nailed it yesterday with the advice I have been trying to noetically send to Kemp – define your strike zone, don’t go out of it and drive everything back through the box. STAY FOCUSED!!

Now, today…. Kershaw on the mound… how about, instead of taking the day off offensively, the Dodgers go out and get him 6 runs to work with?

Brooklyn,

I\’m not sure 10 is enough for League…

;)

• KLD says:

Lord, i feel bad for League. He was the man last year and now he’s become this years Uribe. As for Puig, i really hope this is a slump but until he learns the strike zone like AJ did, he will continue to falter. MLB pitchers are just too good. They WILL figure hitters out (thought they would do it sooner with Puig). But wow, 1/2 game out. Who’d a thought it 6 weeks ago.

5. SpokaneBob says:

Pete M, Loved your over the line reference. What a great game. 4 or more could play for hours.

Jerry I enjoyed your story about Erskin and Roebuck, But Badger, Iam calling you on the Alfalfa tale, we are not that old!

This from MLB Trade Rumors…..

One GM tells Peter Gammons of MLB.com (via Twitter) that word is the Dodgers are prepared to offer Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez something in the neighborhood of $50MM over five years and if they do, he’ll wind up in L.A.

I moved to Ca. in early ’58. The actor who played Alfalfa died about a year later. I saw him getting into his car in the mornings and did not believe it was him as he of course he didn’t look anything like him. But my grandpa, head bartender at the Beverly Glen Hotel, knew him and said it was him. He was a very private guy and never talked to the kids. No biggie as far as I was concerned.

Game on here today. My day is planned.

7. Bobbie17 says:

The nice thing about this new bullpen is that it is young and can probably stand some continuous stress. Still it would be nice if Kershaw went deep into the game today. The Nats aren’t scoring, so his chances are good. A 1-0 complete game win would be ok.

8. Quasimodo says:

Funny how ‘Superman’(George Reeves) and ‘Alfalfa’ (Carl Switzer?) are brought up on this page seeing’s how they both died at relatively the same time and both by gunshot. I was young enough to believe that Superman couldn’t be killed by a gun and sisters weren’t being truthful telling me he was dead. Badger has a couple years on me and I remember Alfafa’s death. Matt Kemp in today’s lineup and Puig sits. Its fairly likely we’ll see Puig come into the game at some point….fallowing Mattingly’s M O. Should be a fun game. Mark, I hope your wife’s gift is a Dodgers sweep.

9. KLD says:

I just vaguely remember his death. We only lived on that street a few months.

Puig sits, but I agree we will see him late. What I am looking for today are good at bats from Kemp and Crawford and 8 innings out of Kershaw. A laugher would be nice, but with Zimmerman on the mound I don’t anticipate it.

Colletti saying maybe no big trades out there. Fact is, if we can finish with everybody on the field we may not need anybody.

11. SpokaneBob says:

Watching the game this morning and then watching the DVD of 42 that my wife gave me for our anniversary. I had seen it in the theater and if any of you haven’t I would recomend you do. There were more than a couple of guys a little chocked uo by the end of the movie.

12. AnewBlueDay says:

For those who have never seen the original 1950 – The Jackie Robinson Story, here is the Youtube website:

there are several sites on Youtube, but this copy seem clearer than some.

Also, Jackie himself stars in the movie — and is voice, which is higher pitched, than the actor playing his life in the new one.

13. Rob says:

Welcome back matty! Big time HR!

14. Rob says:

Bottom of the order is doing their thing!

15. Jimbo says:

That was a shot from Kemp. If he can can stay healthy and hit like that the rest of the year we’ll be set. They’ll be able to rotate the 4 outfielders to keep them all fresh.

16. Quasimodo says:

This IS the team that Colletti brought-bought us that we dreamed of putting up lopsided #’s at opening day!

I swear Kemp looks thicker thane did two months ago.

Laugher possible? You bet.

18. Pete M. says:

In watching Puig at the dish after his pre-bat ritual, I think his biggest problem is between his ears. I watch Mike Trout (I loathe the angles)and see a great difference in his approach and demeanor…
    No contest right now… Sit down today maybe, watch and listen…
    Come on Bison.

“The nice thing about this new bullpen is that it is young and can probably stand some continuous stress.”

B17, I understand your point. But putting too much stress on young arms can lead to injuries. How many young pitchers do we see having TJ surgery, and even worse?

What is good about the addition of new young arms in the pen, is that there are more alternatives each day, and less possibility that just one or two guys will have to carry the entire load.

20. Quasimodo says:

Badger, I was thinking same thing. His left gun looks 2″ larger. Hope there’s a few Dodgers fans seated near Mark, it could get dangerous.

Dont care what Eck says, I have no problem with Crawford trying to stretch that.

22. AnewBlueDay says:

Not a big enough lead for League to go in later. Need at least 10 runs.

Nice for Davy Johnson to have batting practice for the Dodgers today.

23. Idaho al says:

Mark, you may see League with a 10 run lead. Badger, we are having the laughter you were looking for. The bull pen does look great. The young arms certainly gives Mattingly some choices. It seems to me that he is managing differently with more arms in the bull pen. Also the line up is more consistent with everybody back. It will be interesting to see what Colletti does when Lily comes back.

24. AnewBlueDay says:

Kershaw shot the hell out of his ERA. Giving up 2 runs — he is now 2.01. Gee, you give a grown man a job, tell him what to do — and he screws up.

Kemp looks like he needs more seasoning.

Crawford looks like he has found it.

Other than that – a usual day at the office.

Crawford robbed of a 4th hit by a loafing Kemp.

26. the truth hurts says:

Badger, Kemp does look bigger. I noticed that too. Hopefully that ankle blip is nothing big. But instant karma for loafing home.

Mark, was not able to make the trip last minute but you picked a good series to go too.

What a way to start the second half….WOW.

…..meanwhile in the back of my head, Kemp- if you just did something to your ankle….I’m going to lose my mind….

When Kemp got on base to begin the 9th my first thought was that with a 9-2 lead, send in a runner for him. Hope this isn’t anything serious with Kemp. Just no excuse for the loafing. Just score the run and then turn around to see what’s happening. And yes, he did cost Crawford a hit, and also an RBI.

28. Bball says:

Hopefully kemp can at least dh tomorrow. Stupid on Kemps part and mattinglys. No business being in there.

29. SpokaneBob says:

Don’t blame Mattingly for Kemp loafing. I expect they iced his ankle, but I bet he doesn’t play until they get back to L A.

No excuse for loafing. None. But that should have been an easy out. Pitcher way late in covering. Waiting to hear the extent of the injury. Anybody know?

31. Bball says:

He just gets off the DL they are up 9-2 pretty much everyone else is out y not him cause of a chance for the cycle. I call bull shit. If he needed a single to complete it then ya I let him try then bring in a pinch runner but do you really want him trying to stretch a double into a triple. Just stupid. That being said first place by tonight. Lets hope.

Bball, even the chance for a cycle is no excuse. Like I said above, once he was on first base (no more chance for a cycle unless the Nats came back to tie the game) I was thinking that a runner should have been sent in for him.

Badger, according to the article I’m linking below, Mattingly said the ankle had “a little swelling” and that “it looks like a sprain.” He also said he doesn’t anticipate a DL stint, for whatever that’s worth. Hope as Bball suggests, that he can DH against Toronto.

33. Quasimodo says:

Watching that slide at MSTI it looks really bad. Ankles aren’t supposed to do that!

34. Quasimodo says:

I think Matt has a serious dislocation. Don’t see how it can be anything else. Damn!

Just watched the same video on MSTI, and it certainly doesn’t look good. Let’s hope looks are deceiving. It could be a dislocation, but I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions.

36. Bball says:

Ya I seem it too. Looked bad but he was walking around the dugout shortly after it happened. It’ll Polly be as bis as his head in the morning though. Trade Ethier I think not.

37. Quasimodo says:

About the only chance that that could not be a dislocation is Matt’s heal coming out of his shoe. It may have reset but there’ll be major bruising and I’m certain MRI will be in order. I’ll be shocked if the news is good.

Initial reports indicate that no x-rays were taken, and that he’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow. So it’s entirely possible that the decision will be made tomorrow (if not already made) for Kemp to undergo an MRI. Besides, I think we all know to take with a grain of salt anything coming from the Dodgers. And it’s good that he was walking around the dugout shortly after it happened, but I think we all know that these things can start to feel a lot worse overnight. Guessing we’ll probably get something more definitive at or before game time tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping for the best.

If anything, I hope Kemp at least learned to take care of what he’s doing before diverting his attention elsewhere.

39. Jason says:

Kemp seems to have found his swing again too – bad luck. This team is cursed.
    Every time those three step foot on the field at the same time something goes wrong. Unbelievable.

By the way Mark, I never asked. Did you leave the game when League started warming up? (SMILE).

41. Gionfriddo says:

Crawford looked shot today—

3-5.. 1 SB.. On base 4 times (should have been 5 had Kemp been playing the game the right way)…

The guy can be called injury prone all day, but shot? There’s a hell of a chance he hits the DL one more time in these next 65 games, however, IF he does stay off the DL and gets 200 plus AB’s the rest of the way this team will be better off….

42. AnewBlueDay says:

Bothered me on Hanley’s deep drive to center. He stood around the plate watching the flight of the ball.

Now, if it were a solid HR and he and the folks in the ball park knew it, fine — but it was not; it was caught.

But hit so deep, what if the center-fielder misplayed the ball, dropped the ball, got turned around and screwed up out there — Hanley was really about 20 feet from home plate. If he had been running with any speed, he could have run it into a triple, or inside the park HR if it hits off the wall, fielder falls down and the ball darts back toward the infield — he too was dogging it.

Some of these Dodgers need to play baseball the right way (my way) — which is to hustle and play to win, not to watch the play — like Kemp did from third to home talked about above.

But nice win today.

1. [...] Puig isn’t Superman But he’s pretty good.  Look, did anyone expect him to hit .300, let alone .369 after a slump of several games?  Did you really think he would keep hitting .400+?   It’s really pretty silly to be down on him now that he’s hitting a mere .369.   He’s 22 years old and next to Hanley Ramirez, [...]… [...]