Praying for a National Disaster!

That means I am headed to Washington DC to watch this three game series, hoping that the Dodgers sweep, thus making it a National Disaster.  We have tickets to all three games, so I hope to have some good photos and the latest “scoop.”  I’m sure that Donnie and Ned will want to take me out for a beer after the game… and fit me with a pair of concrete shoes!

Let me address the second half prospects of the Dodgers.  The key of course is to be injury free, but with older players is that possible?  Can Carl Crawford stay on the field?  Can Matt Kemp recover?  Will A-Gone stay healthy?  Can Hanley and Yasiel continue to excel?  Will the pitching hold up?  I expect Kershaw and Greinke to be strong and Nolasco will likely slip ahead of Ryu as the Number 3.  Ryu started strong, but hasn’t maintained the pace.  I hope he will be refreshed after the break, but I think we have seen the best of Ryu.  I would not be shocked to see him with an ERA in excess of 4.00 at season’s end.

I do think we can expect better bullpen performances and I don’t think the Dodgers need to trade for any more bullpen arms.  One deal I would do is trade Ethier and $20 mil to Texas for Ian Kinsler (if Texas would do that).  Utley, Young and Ramirez are too old and will cost the Dodgers too many prospects.  The Dodgers prospects rest on being healthy.  If healthy, they will run away with the division and they are built for the playoffs.  Once there, anything can happen  in a seven-game series when you have Kershaw and Greinke pitching twice.

I’ll have a report every day from DC!

a-sizzlin-summer

56 Responses to “Praying for a National Disaster!”

I liked that trade the first time talked about it – a few months ago. Now it seems like our outfield depth isn’t what it usta was. And that is why Utley still makes sense to me. When the goal is win now, rentals can be employed. Would you trade Lee and Gordon if you believed it put you in the play-offs this year?

2. Corey says:

I think Ryu will be fine after having the long layoff over the break. I believe he will be making his next start on 11 days rest.
    Mike Scioscia’s illness had a chart on his fastball velocity decreasing, with his changeup increasing…which obviously is not a good combination.
    I just missed you Mark, and the Dodgers, by 1 week. I was just in DC last Friday & Saturday. Didn’t time that out very well.
    I like the Ethier deal. I posted previously that I think Pederson can do what Ethier has done and add some speed.

Yes! But what if we traded Ethier and kept Lee and Gordon? I also don\’t think Utley will be traded.

4. AnewBlueDay says:

I believe too much promise, hope, and money have been used and spent — just to put in a season.

Someone wise in the Dodger system: owner, GM, scouts, etc. needs to make the decision based on injuries and some players lack to field time for the next three months — and make the right moves.

One day it is not enough pitching – either starting or the pen.

The next day it is a total lack of hitting, and hitting with runners in scoring position.

Both are dropping games.

Sooooo a move or two to make this team tighter — and be able to meet the competition and win some of these close games — can make all the difference in the world.

The Dodgers do not have many walk-off or ninth inning wins this season. Not many. And to go into the post season — it takes some of those along the way.

The Dodgers have tried with Punto, Schumaker, Van Slyke, Hairston, etc. as the extra, off the bench, part time fill in — and they just cannot sustain play very long.

This team needs another bench, power guy.

Almost everyone would like an upgrade at 3B and 2B. They should do at least one of those two positions.

Pederson is not ready to take over for Ethier. He’s a AA player and asking him to step in and perform at a 3 WAR rate is asking too much. Having said that, maybe Kinsler makes up the difference.

I doubt Utley is in the block either, but I could see a reasonable deal worked out to get him in a Dodger uniform. Maybe he WANTS to be here, even if for a short time. If the Phillies feel they are out if it, something between these two teams could be worked out. I won’t hold my breath.

Sending twenty million to the Rangers AND paying Kinsler? Twenty million could go a long way in other areas.

Utley Young and Ramirez are older, but they would slso be an undeniable improvement in our lineup. Win now or not?

6. Watford Dodger says:

Your chasing the wrong Chase. Should be Headley not Utley.
    And I agree – Phillies won’t let him go.

7. Anonymous says:

I haves liked the kinsler ethier deal for a while now too but I agree with badger. That sounds like a straight up kinda deal to me. They have a need and so do we. There pay is around the same so yes to the deal no to the 20 mill to them.

Padres not likely to let Headley come here, but I like the idea.

Kinsler and Pederson instead of Ethier and Ellis? Risky, but interesting.

At this point, with all 3 of our OF “starters” dinged up, it would be really hard to trade Ethier, unless we really really improved ourselves elsewhere.

As good a prospect as Pederson is, can we really afford to have 2 rookies in our outfield playing significantly down the stretch? As we’re aware by now, Crawford and Kemp are in and out of the lineup consistently. Puig is now banged up a bit. Somehow, Andre has become our most reliable, healthy guy out there. Even if SVS was considered our 4th OF, that is still basically 3 rookies (ok SVS is 2nd year but still)

I’m all for sending Ethier of during the offseason though, for Kinsler even. It just would be hard to do so now.

Agree Bobby.

Which brings us back to how we add WAR to this lineup without risking stability in our outfield.

The 2 positions we could use upgrades at are second and third. We can get help there right away with Young. Worth it? Depends on what they want. Utley and Headley are worth talking about but SD would look for a fleecing and Utley may not be available.

11. Quasimodo says:

I’m fairly certain we’re pat on OF for the moment. At least as to what F/O is giving us. Seems pitching and bench are are the only positions that may sport a new face or two. So who’s got the inside dope on the health issues of our key players? Vegas, or Bovado, has odds favoring Dodgers winning the division at pat. Its just hard guessing where we’re at with the injury scare. This series @ Nats will bring us up to speed as Crawford and Kemp expected to play. Have fun at the series Mark, I’ll look for you from my couch.

12. TROYFROMWV says:

I’m heading to DC in about 47 minutes.

From MLB Trade Rumors above, there seems to be a lot of Cuban pitching out there. Wonder how much of it is MLB ready right now.

I looked at Kinsler’s and Ethier’s contracts, and they seem very similar. And both are about the same age. I can’t say I’ve seen very much of Kinsler, so any thoughts I have are based on just numbers. And going by the numbers, I’d be inclined to make that deal, and even kick in some money to sweeten the pot for Texas. And maybe for that extra money, Texas could kick back some international slot money for the Dodgers.

I too would worry about having two rookie outfielders, and I wonder if Pederson is actually ready. He struggled in the AFL last Fall, and I wonder if we couldn’t expect the same when he made the jump from AA to the big leagues. Also, it is concerning, as I’ve heard w/o actually checking the stats, that Pederson has had problems hitting lefthanders. Of course, if Kemp, Crawford and Puig are healthy, and Puig hits consistently and with power, we don’t really have to worry about pushing Pederson. But there are a bunch of “ifs”, and with them come questions.

I wouldn’t even consider this deal if Ethier was hitting for power. But for whatever reason(s), Ethier’s power (at least consistently) seems a thing of the past.

I don’t know if the Phillies would consider trading Utley, and I’m sure I wouldn’t want to surrender very much for him. So maybe that deal isn’t possible.

And the Dodgers still need pitching as well. Maybe the best course of action would be to add pitching, and hope that Kemp, Crawford and Puig all have wonderful second halves, Hanley keeps it up, and the Dodgers roll into the playoffs with the healthy version of their lineup.

I think I’m getting tired of trade speculation. Just let it happen, and we’ll see where we’re at when the dust settles. Could we have predicted the deals the Dodgers made last year before they happened? Same this year. In other words, que sera sera.

It’s now pretty clear why the Dodgers’ recent deals for Nolasco and Marmol included over $400,000 in additional international cap money. With that additional money the Dodgers still only have $269,600 of their cap left. I’m sure they will continue to add more quantity, given that they can sign an unlimited number of players for $10,000 or less, and because six players up to $50,000 each do not count against the cap. And who knows, maybe they’ll seek more international cap money in deals to come.

What a difference a change in ownership can make. Anyone in here who is worried about the Dodgers’ farm system should relax. It’s obviously going to take some time to re-build the system, but the pipeline is being re-established, and in the meantime, free agency and the Dodgers’ willingness to take on contracts will keep the talent coming. And maybe because they’re adding so much new talent, the Dodgers will not be averse to trading prospects for established talent if they perceive that they will be able to replace those prospects going forward. Maybe it’s a win now, win later strategy.

It will be interesting to see how involved the Dodgers become with the current crop of Cuban free agents who do not count against the cap.

15. AnewBlueDay says:

Is there a Cuban food stand in Dodger Stadium yet? If not, probably soon . . .

I read some of that too Brooklyn and I agree 100% with your take. The Dodgers are taking care of business throughout the organization. It is INDEED a win now win later strategy. Which is why………

I remain confident.

17. Quasimodo says:

Just what is Cuban food? Guess its time for me to google that one.

18. Jason says:

Interesting:

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that a trade sending Matt Garza to the Rangers is “getting closer.”
    The Rangers have seemed to be the front-runner for a while now, and it appears they could get a deal done before Garza makes his next start for the Cubs. Rosenthal notes that there are prospects “from various levels” in play and that Mike Olt is “possibly” involved.

Two things I’ve learned over the years about the deadline are the trades the Dodgers make are ones that you didn’t see coming and where will Cliff Lee be traded? May as well be here.
    So Miguel Gonzalez, Cliff Lee, Danny Espinosa…
    Can I get a Dodger Dog for a Ted Lilly?

P.S. Mark you might not want to Hang too long with Troy of WV if you want to see the end of the games. Ha, Ha, have a good one

21. AnewBlueDay says:

I saw him from a distance . . . at Camelback . . . and that was close enough. Mark can handle the guy.

I’m sure, but I was just sayin that I think Troy from WV, God Bless him, has more ejections than Donnie Boy
    I’ve never ate Cuban food but a friend of mine in the Navy was married to a Phillipino who made “Lumpia” to die for
    One thing I hope we can all agree to is , 4 days is too long, Play Ball!

This from Mike Petriello at MSTI.

“I still believe the team’s primary target is Cliff Lee, figuring that his contract might allow them to spend dollars rather than prospects, but so far the Phillies haven’t seemed like they’d be willing to sell. So if you’re looking for a third ace to go with Clayton Kershaw & Zack Greinke, I wouldn’t hold your breath. That said, I think that they would like to add one more piece just to improve on Capuano & Stephen Fife and hedge against concerns over Hyun-jin Ryu‘s possible decline, so another starter remains likely.”

So if you desire Cliff Lee, Petriello thinks that’s the Dodgers primary target, but cautions that you shouldn’t hold your breath waiting for it to happen. I’m not sure that’s really what the Dodgers want to do. But if they think he’ll hold up over the next few expensive years of his contract, they might pull the trigger if the opportunity presents itself. Lee will turn 35 in August this year, which means he’ll turn 36, 37, and 38 over the next 3 years (there is a vesting option for 2016 at $27.5 Million, or a 12.5 million buyout if he doesn’t vest).

The Dodgers know their finances better than any of us, so I’m guessing that they would do it if they can, and if the Phillies would listen. Or they could take all the money they save by not doing it, and sign all of those Cuban players. Or maybe they do both. I wonder what Cliff Lee is worth in ticket sales and merchandising. And if he was the difference maker in a championship year, he’d probably pay for himself after this season alone.

I was in Cincy the night Troy got carted from the game by a plethora of cops. He\’s harmless though…

Troy seemed very calm the day I saw him at Camelback. Mark is far more dangerous. Just look at that face! Tells you all you need to know.

25. Corey says:

Keith Laws updated top 50 mlb prospect list…..for what it’s worth, he has Seager at #16
    16. Corey Seager, SS | Los Angeles Dodgers (age 19)
    Current level: Low Class A (Great Lakes)
    Preseason ranking: 46

Although he’s still most likely a third baseman in the end, Seager has been the best hitter in the Midwest League since his return from a DL stint in early June, hitting .342/.439/.586 in that span. He’s going to be big — at 6-4, 215 pounds, he’s already bigger than every full-time shortstop in MLB history — but that’s going to produce plus power that makes him a potential All-Star.

Finally. A Dodger prospect shows up in the Top 20.

There will be more. And probably soon.

And fwiw, I don’t care if we have an All Star SS because he is big. I want my SS to be a superb fielder. So does every pitcher who ever took the mound. Sounds to me like we may have our third baseman of the future.

I love Cuban food. Black beans and rice and all of that – awesome. My wife is Filipino and makes Lumpia, Beef Bok Choy and a whole lot more. I\’m hungry.

Headed to the game soon.

If you want to look me up, I am in Section 130, row X tonight.

28. Quasimodo says:

Lets hope Nolasco gets revenge on Harper for Harper’s two HR’s opening day. Other than Harper, Nolasco’s been pretty brutal on Nats. Should be a great game!

29. AnewBlueDay says:

Now will be the 2nd test of Mr. Puig. The first test was his welcoming to the majors to the All-Star break. Now, the second part of the season.

Maybe we should start his numbers from here, and see how he does . . . and can he meet the challenges the teams, pitchers, and fans have for him.

30. Bball says:

Come on selig Lets get replay already.

31. Quasimodo says:

Puig was robbed by the umpire and Nats got a gift run. Strange how its easier call plays from our living rooms.

Certainly is easier to call plays from our living rooms, especially with the benefit of replay.

33. Quasimodo says:

Really. Its an umpire’s job to be perfect in close calls, and the human factor is used way too often as an excuse. I like the tradition of ump’s, but its time that tech has a spot for improvement.

34. AnewBlueDay says:

If Badger were umping at 3rd on that play — the bum was OUT!

35. AnewBlueDay says:

Gee, if Crawford every gets his hitting eye, and then can hit the ball — he alone will be a great help. But if he keeps this so-so business, he is really hurting the team.

Donnie has to carefully watch this . . . as I know he is.

That catch and throw by Crawford was the fundamental way how NOT to make a play!

Horrible positioning, horrendous throw. Thank god Harper didn’t go.

37. AnewBlueDay says:

Dodgers have been lucky so far in this game.

38. Rob says:

As much as I don’t like Donnie as our manager he has done a great job tonight.

39. AnewBlueDay says:

Somebody on the Dodgers has to step up . . . or it is the same old song.

I assume that when Puig ran into the wall . . . in foul ground to grab that third out — he hurt himself.

Well, if so, some outfielders would not have made that play, but also, not gotten hurt.

Ethier steps up BIG TIME.

40. T.O.Dave says:

Mr. Softee serves one up! That’s for you Mark. Hope you thoroughly enjoyed the game. I know I did.

41. Rob says:

Excellent win!!

Great win!!!!!!! Nice to see Ethier step up with the big hit. I’m not going to criticize the Dodgers offense in this one. It was after all, Stephen Strasburg on the mound. And we face some tough pitching in the next two games. But then again, we have a couple of pretty good pitchers of our own going.

Mark, use your magic and bring us a sweep.

Puig just needs to calm down, and relax at the plate. The talent is there, but so are the growing pains.

43. Idaho al says:

Great win. The bull pen did a great job.

44. AnewBlueDay says:

Puig needs to realize that mlb major league pitchers are really THE professional in the world and know how to make their adjustments to HIM. And he must do adjustments on THEM.

Giants beat AZ 2-0.

We’re 1.5 out!

Anybody read the article on Puig being sued? Somehow I believe the guy is telling the truth.

Puig for Stanton.

1.5. Dbacks can be had. midgets ain’t that good. Yet.

Badger,

I read the article, and here it is for anyone who hasn’t.

The article, among other things, stated that the lawyers representing the plaintiff in the suit “filed a similar $18-million lawsuit last year against…Aroldis Chapman on behalf of a different plaintiff.”

Too much we don’t know, so I’m not ready to pass judgment on Puig (or Chapman). But if the Dodgers could trade him straight up for Stanton (I doubt it) I wouldn’t complain. But I’d be just as happy to keep Puig, and see how he develops. I suspect he will make adjustments (both offensively and defensively) over time, but it’s probably not going to happen overnight. And I’m guessing that he will more thoroughly address his shortcomings over the winter and next year in spring training.

Let’s just be happy that Steve Cohen didn’t win the bidding on the Dodgers last year.

48. Watford Dodger says:

I’d drive him to Miami myself. Puig for Stanton.

49. Anonymous says:

I have no reason to believe, or doubt, anything coming out of fleeing Cuba. Yeah, too much we don’t know, but, it’s a cloud. Hopefully it clears.

I guess I just worry that the baggage on this kid might add up. Yes, he is an incredible talent, and patience will no doubt be required. We’ll see.

As for Cohen, my guess is most of those guys involved in the banking scams have dirt on their hands. Once Glass Steagall was overturned, there were no rules. Even after the collapse, it goes on today. The too big to fail banks are actually bigger. Oh, but I am sure the Guggs are as clean as chrome.

That was me. New computer. Still working on set ups.

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]