It’s baseballs and the fans loss

It’s probably best for Yasiel Puig that he not be in the All-Star Game.  He’s barely 22, from a suppressed country and speaks little English.  To top it off, he’s a multimillionaire.  His head is pretty big right now and probably feels bulletproof.

In some ways, he’s like a little kid in a candy store, but be careful what you believe.  Some of the media reports are overblown.  In some ways, he’s probably overwhelmed.  How stupid were you at 22?  The Dodgers are working with him, day and night – believe that!  He makes some bonehead plays, but what do your eyes tell you?

S-U-P-E-R-S-T-A-R is written all over him!

I have heard Puig compared to Raul Mondesi.  Please!  Mondesi could never do what Puig does.  I saw Mondesi, all the time.  There’s no comparison.

I have said it before and I will say it again:  Yasiel Puig has the most talent of any baseball player I have ever seen, which is why I would not trade him for anyone, let alone Stanton.  There will be some bumps in the road, I’m sure!  But this kind of talent is so rare.  He’s a cross between Bo Jackson and Roberto Clemente.

Baseball fans are the big losers in the All-Star vote.  They are deprived from seeing history.  MLB is a big loser, because Puig would have driven up ratings.  Michael Jordon saved the NBA.  Yasel Puig may be doing the same for MLB.

Enjoy the ride.  He’s one of a kind!    And, he’s a Dodger!

summer-sale

53 Responses to “It’s baseballs and the fans loss”

1. the truth hurts says:

With the media circling Puig like vultures, this is a blessing in disguise. Let the kid relax and take a deep breath.

This whole “villain” circus is pathetic.

Puig, you are the man.

2. Rob says:

Great post Mark. The kid has burst onto the scene and went from a work in progress into a all out superstar. The media and players have given him grief since him name hit ESPN. Watching him before the games and seeing him interact with the fans is a breath of fresh air. Players have become so disconnected to the fans but not Puig. He is genuine but needs to be steered in the right direction so Jay Z please stay away from our guy.

MLB needs saving?

I think comparing him to Mondesi is fair. Comparing him to Clemente and Jackson is also fair. Perhaps over the top but over the top may be where he is going.

I agree not going to the All Star circus is a good thing for him.

4. Davey Lopes says:

The kid needs a few days off to get healthy and catch his breath. Not going to ASG this year will only help the kid to strive for something else next year. You are looking at the ROY, rejoice, at the rate he is going you may be looking at the MVP and ROY. Depends on what the rest of the team does, if the team goes deep this year, MVP is a strong consideration.

Goldschmidt is the first half MVP.

But, there will be a second half. And I trust Donnie leaves him in every day.

6. AnewBlueDay says:

Interesting. For weeks we blasted Uribe — and he turns a corner and has become important in this Dodger charge forward.

For months we blasted Mark Ellis as over the hill, and to trade for this guy or that guy — and the last 3 games he has 6 hits and last night drove in 4 key runs.

But for a team to win and continue to win — several players have to have key years. Maybe this is now beginning to happen.

7. Quasimodo says:

I am guilty of bad talking Uribe. Hope you can forgive me, Juan. As far as either of the Ellis’ go, I’ve always stood up for. But no Dodgers have escaped me yelling at them via my TV. Sure glad they couldn’t hear me.

8. AnewBlueDay says:

Well, the NSA did. And they relay messages . . .

9. Davey Lopes says:

They read blogs too, and they ain’t Dodgers fans, I think the are White Sox fans actually.

I think all this negativity about Puig can be summed up to pure jealousy about the talent this young man has.
    He plays 180 mph but he isn’t some dickhead like AJ Pierzynski or cocky like Papelbon.
    Maybe I’m looking through Dodger Blue lenses but the only thing I see is someone busting it on every play who lets the chips fall where they may, if that’s bad; go change your diaper!

11. Anonymous says:

Slow day.

Who cares what others say about Puig? Michael is right, it’s just pure jealousy. The Dodgers got it going on and that pisses everybody else off. Screw ‘em. They were jumping for joy when the Dodgers were having issues. They know that our lineup, when actually on the field, is better than theirs. Wait til we get Kemp back. And if he can’t come back, we’ll go get another Kemp, and you can bet when that happens it will frost everyone’s toasties as well.

That was me.

13. Bball says:

Michael it is definetely jealousy but come on he is about as cocky as they come. I’ve been defending him on everything he does but even I see that. And I love every bit of it. Ef everyone else. They would all love to have this kid in there lineup. Every and I mean every team would love to have him. He is absolutely awesome.

14. Bball says:

Love it anonymous. I mean badger. Here’s for six in a row and a dback loss. Kick some ass blue. First by the break lets do it

15. AnewBlueDay says:

Clayton looks terrible. Better send him down to AA for rehab. Not AAA, the ball jumps too much there.

There was a time a couple weeks ago or so and sown by 2 I’d be worried.

Down, where’s that edit button?

18. Jason says:

Capuano throws yesterday and we expect to lose.
    Kershaw goes today and we expected to win.

Reverse.

Damn.
    I thought the streak would have Kershaw bringing his A+++++++++ game tonight.

Get ‘em tomorrow.

19. Pete M. says:

Thank God it was you and not me Badger… ‘Yasiel Puig has the most talent of any baseball player I have ever seen’… Wow that emcompasses alot of great players over the years and that includes my boy Raul Mondesi… The ‘Kid’from Cinci, the enigma when he burst onto the scene in Pittsburgh etc. etc. The Game has been good to us…
    P.S. Hanley, I know you’re not getting the love, but I’m not forgetting your return to the lineup…Muchos Gracias…

Puig is off to a great start. That’s it. You can compare a grape to a Corvette if you choose to. We used to have “compare and contrast” assignments in college that did stuff like that. I choose not to compare Puig to anyone because its just too early. He has the tools. A lot of guys have had the tools.

Kershaw out pitched and Puig may be on the bench with an injury. When do things settle down for this team?

21. AnewBlueDay says:

Dodgers looked like the team of two month ago . . . terrible.

Saw all those names in the lineup again: Schumaker, Hairston, Punto, Uribe, Ellis, Ellis, Van Slyke . . . Puig out. Who let that guy play when he is hurt?

Clayton was out Kershawed . . . he did not arise to the occasion.

Dodgers fall on their faces . . . and we thought the new team was here.

As soon as Ethier made that rainbow throw to home letter the runner move into second base, early in the game — I knew that was a big mistake, and Vin called it right away. Of course the guy at second then scored. But it really didn’t matter — because the Dodger hitters were chopped meat last night — nothing. 4 hits.

Best change this record tonight — or fall even farther back. Some of the teams in the NL West are playing better now.

22. SpokaneBob says:

Puig needs to get a plasma injection and sit until after the break. Let him and Matt come back together.

Clayton was out Kershawed . . . he did not arise to the occasion.

Dodgers fall on their faces . . . and we thought the new team was here.

Come on Roger, Clayton is human and giving up 3 runs to a team like the Rockies is still a quality start. It is on the offense or perhaps more correctly, the Rockies pitcher. Price and Strausburg both got beat last night, it happens. One loss and you go back to bitching. The “new” team will be here when Matt and Puig are back AND we get some more help by the deadline. Remember, we have almost half the season to go. There are still going to be bad streaks as well as good ones. Given where we were and where we are now, Iam happy. It doesn’t matter if were are not in first place by the break. What matters is that we are in position to run the second half and get into the post season. The glass is more than half full, be positive.

23. Quasimodo says:

Geez! Having the fastest car doesn’t mean you’ll win a race if you have a flat tire. And we keep getting flats while running out of spares. Cross your fingers and hope Puig is less hurt than the threat could contain, as with Crawford, Kemp and so on and so on… The fluid level in that glass depends on the state of health Dodgers are in as the clock counts down.

24. Bball says:

Everyone is freaking out over 1 loss. Calm down everyone. And even if kershaw was classic kershaw he still would have tied at best. 3 runs in 7 is not bad. Can’t win them all guys. 2 days ago I was wishing there was no break now I’m happy for it. Take a break, rest, get healthy and run away with it in the second half

Just half a season with our first team on the field. Is that too much to ask?

The energy is not the same without Yassy out there. Hairston and SVS instead of Puig and Crawford? Yoiks. . But I agree, let the young man rest for a week. Then sue Denver for unsafe working conditions.

26. Watford Dodger says:

Can’t believe the medical staff allowed Puig to play when injured. We said in here that his power was down since the Coors Field Wall – it’s obviously not a major thing and would probably would have settled down if he’d rested it. Leave him out till after Allstar game and he will be fine. The little break will do him good mentally as well. Problem is Kemp on the DL & Crawford & SVS look absolutely terrible. There is never any virtue in playing an injured player (Kirk Gibson aside).
    We are going to get some defeats along the way – remember 1 – 16 against The Mets. It’s the way you bounce back that matters. Go Blue!
    Ps Falsone gone at end of season.

27. AnewBlueDay says:

Spoke Bob — most times like this — I am talking with tongue in cheek.

See, I expect MORE out of Kershaw now. I expect a Koufax effort. After all, he is Mark’s new Sandy. If the other pitcher is going to throw a shutout — don’t tell me about a nice quality start giving up only 3 runs, I expect an equal shutout — then the bullpens take over for win or loss.

Quality starts are for the guys finishing back in the pack. Cy Young award pitchers should with 1. something ERAs — should be thinking zero runs allowed. Clayton was in trouble from the first inning last night.

Sure, there are bunches of games left, but this roll the team is on should have had a victory with Clayton pitching.

Can’t win them all. Who knows, maybe there is a relaxing of the offense when Kershaw is on the mound. I know there is a let down when the lineup has Hairston and SVS in it.

29. jerry says:

let donnie kept playing puig ..till he really get hurt ..seem that is what the dodgers do..must be are training staft.seem like every one that has been hurt come.s back ..then goes back on the d.l.

30. AnewBlueDay says:

Looks like the “B” lineup tonight. Outfield: Schumaker, Ethier, Hairston.
    Infield: Uribe, Hanley, Ellis, & AGon
    B: Ellis & Greinke

Hitters top down: Hanley, AGon, Ethier, Greinke — then — Ellis, Ellis, Uribe, Schumaker, Hairston

Greinke best be on his pitching best and go 4 for 4.

I go along with those who advise that we just stay calm. And with those who understand that what happens in the second half will be dependent on whether or not we can keep our best players healthy and on the field.

The Dodgers will not go undefeated for the remainder of the year, so you can bet there will be bad days. Kershaw did OK. But when he gives up 3 runs in 7 innings, some are disappointed. If his ERA ends up at about 2.00, then we can expect that in addition to the shutouts, there will be games in which he gives up four runs. In other words, in between all the good starts he’s going to have a bad one now and again.

It would be nice to get everyone back healthy in the lineup. Imagine a healthy Kemp and Puig added to A-Gon, Crawford/Ethier and then imagine a pitcher trying to pitch around Hanley. We’re 2.5 out (only 2 in the loss column) with nearly half a season to play. We’d be in the race that far out with a week to play.

If this team gets a little healthier (not a slam dunk), and we add some reinforcements, I’m confident we will win. Of course, none of that is guaranteed, and that’s why they play the games.

32. Bball says:

Greinke being very efficient and good. Hopefully he goes the distance

33. Bball says:

I have to say I’m kinda getting annoyed with kemp and Crawford. Always hurt, I no it’s not what they want but geez it’s sure frustrating to be a fan. Do we have six more years of this with kemp or what. It might be time to get healthy and think of trading him. We need everydayers but I guess that’s hard to come by these days.

34. Bball says:

Kemp sure looks good in those Lexus commercials though don’t he

35. Bball says:

Where is everyone. Come on badger I no u got something

Another opp for the JV team. With the shadows it will likely be low scoring til late.

I understand the frustration. If those two can’t go we need to have a plan B. Neither of them are that old so I expect them to heal up and get in there.

And plan B is not giving Van Slyke a full time job.

37. Bball says:

Another observation. Is the all star game usually this late into the season. Seems alot later this year Maybe I’m wronge, and what the hell has happened to andres power. Lets hope for a perk up after the break. Sorry I tend to rant when I’m drinking. It might get on everybody’s nerves in here but it keeps the wife happy :)

38. Rob says:

Thank god for the allstar break because our guys need the time to get healthy.

39. AnewBlueDay says:

. . . get healthy . . . then a month or two is needed.

Other teams have major players down. It is just that the Dodgers have all those subs that play baseball-lite. And this team has no designated hitter.

That is really a major difference between the two leagues. The N.L. teams use a 4th outfielder or reserve infielder as the DH when playing an A.L. team.

The A.L. teams have high salaried players for those slots. N.L. left overs.

40. Rob says:

Who would have think it, we score one run in two games and we are 1-1.

If you are watching this in Fox you got Daron Sutton. He is very good.

Dodgers drawing over 150,000 so far in this series.

Greinke does what he needs to.

42. Bball says:

Well 500 is a lock. Great job by this team. Who’d a thought it. Yeah baby.

43. Watford Dodger says:

Grienke stepping up. Rotation looking much stronger.

44. Davey Lopes says:

Limited Puig, limited offensive production.
    No Puig, very little offensive production.

So really what’s the deal? Why can’t they produce without the kid. So Donnie is a genius when Puig plays or really just a poor manager all the time, that happens to win if Puig is in full stride? You really have to wonder.

Blacked out today (I hate FOX). Listened to the last several innings on the MLB.tv audio broadcast. Sounded like Greinke was locked in. Nice win, but the Dodgers can’t be scoring just a single run (zero yesterday) and expect to win. But at least they have the pitching to get them this kind of victory on occasion.

I’m not annoyed with Matt Kemp. His injury is the same one that both A-gon and Hanley had, and both took time to recover. What annoys me is that the Dodgers didn’t speed up the recovery process by insisting that he have surgery last August or September when it was apparent that he was unable to perform with that shoulder. And how much more did he aggravate the injury by continuing to play? I have my doubts about how effective he can be for the remainder of this year. Sure hope I’m wrong about that. I suspect he just needs additional time and rehab.

I’m guessing that while the Dodgers are still looking around for additional pitching, they’re also looking to beef up the offense. We should know something in the next couple of weeks, although there’s always the possibility of waiver deals in August.

46. AnewBlueDay says:

Hope Kershaw learned something today. Just pitch shutout. Easy.

Rob, you are right on — Dodgers score a total of 1 runs in 2 games are are 1-1.

Brooklyn, I agree with an addition/s to the bench. Just too many mambe-pambe hitters that are too much alike. And not sure that SVS is a major league quality bench or regular player. But he is all they have right now. The farm seem rather dry for major league ready guys to step in.

Ned needs to get a thumper, like about 34 or 35 who is ready for that role.

The clincher for Garza could be Soriano and cash, get er done Jed

48. Bball says:

Lincecum with a no no. Ok good for him in this game. I really do like it. A struggling pitcher and he just threw 148 pitches. There goes the rest of his season. They’re happy now but sad later.

49. Quasimodo says:

Props to him. He took his victory with grace.

• Quasimodo says:

Yeah, no hitters are a far stretch from a perfect game and thus over rated. An opposing pitcher to Greinke’s game last night could have walked in a run every inning and been credited with a no hitter while losing 0-9. I’m happier with 110 pitch shutout. XLNT crisp performance by the ‘Birdman’. Lets keep the bullpen bored.

50. jerry says:

Bball …i said the same thing over two weeks ago..seem like most on here only talk to what some people write..