If it’s not broke, don’t fix it!

On June 23rd I wrote this:

The Dodgers had a nice win last night, but unless they can run off about 12 in a row, it appears very unlikely they will make the playoffs.  Skunks don’t shed their white stripe overnight and the Dodgers aren’t likely to suddenly become clutch overnight.  As the sun sets on the Dodgers chances to get to the post season, it appears more and more likely that they will become sellers.

Well, the Dodgers didn’t win 12 in a row, but they won enough to become relevant again and get back in the race.  I was at the forefront in calling for Don Mattingly’s head and the break-up of this team, not because I didn’t love the Dodgers but because I felt it was unlikely things were going to change.  But, they did change and let’s hope it’s for good.

I saw Yasiel Puig this Spring and my eyes told me he was a rare talent.  My brain told me he could not keep that up.  The Dodgers had a reason to keep him in the minors until April 18th – that gave them another year of control.  I get that.  If you haven’t read the article on Puig in the latest Sports Illustrated, do it now.  It’s an inside look at how Logan White was convinced he was the real deal and pushed to sign him for whatever it took.    Puig has been nothing short of immortal, but I will go back to what I wrote on April 1, 2013:

I will say this:  The most important player for the Dodgers in 2013 is someone not in the lineup, that being Hanley Ramirez.  If Hanley can return to his MVP form, he’s a game-changer.  As good a s Matt Kemp is, Hanley Ramirez can be even better.  That would be staggering!

I write this, because at this juncture, Hanley Ramirez and Yasiel Puig are the two best hitters in baseball and both are on the Dodgers.  Matt Kemp has not been a factor, but is showing signs of getting his mojo back.

I was in favor of trading Andre Ethier, but with injuries and the likelihood he will hit better, I think the Dodgers should keep him for now.  An outfield of Kemp, Puig, Ethier, Van Slyke and Crawford gives a lot of flexibility.  When Crawford comes back, someone will have to go.  As much as I hate to say it, I think it has to be Jerry Hairston, Jr.  He’s a bright guyand a coach in waiting.  Give him a job in the organization and release him.  Punto and Schumaker are good bench players.

I also feel that the Dodgers should stand pat instead of trading for a third baseman.  Corey Seager is hitting .293 (second on the team) at Great Lakes and should be promoted soon to Rancho or Chattanooga.   He could be ready in less than two years.  Don’t deplete the farm for a stopgap 3B, unless it’s a pure salary dump.  I would do Zach Lee for Aramis Ramirez, but that’s it.

In case you are wondering, I do not think Zach Lee will be much of a major league pitcher.  I love Ross Stripling and even like Chris Reed better than Lee, so I would trade Lee but surely other teams see the Zach Lee I do too.

Chase Utley will cost too much, but if the Dodgers could get him for Lee and Dee Gordon, then I would do that too.  I’d like Daniel Murphy at 2B for the same prospects, but that seems unlikely.

I am fine with this lineup:

• 1B – Gonzalez
  • 2B – Ellis
  • SS – Ramirez
  • 3B – Uribe
  • LF – Crawford, Van Slyke
  • CF – Kemp, Ethier
  • Puig
  • C – Ellis

That lineup, if healthy will win a lot of games.

If Nolasco can be had without giving up the farm, then so be it, but the Dodgers rotation should be fine.  Don’t fix it if it’s not broke.

4th-of-july-12

65 Responses to “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it!”

Good to see you coming to your senses. Anyone who gives up in June should be ignored.

Who was it that advised Zach Lee to go to LSU and be the BMOC, making millions about now in whatever sport he chose? Oh, that was me. He may be a middle of the order pitcher, but that is likely his ceiling and there is nothing wrong with that. Ryu is now a middle of the rotation pitcher and he ain’t so bad.

I would give the Phillies any one guy they currently want in our system and throw in Gordon IF Utley would verbally agree to a 3 year contract. If he wants to come for the summer, then go back and retire a Phillie, I mean retire a Phillies…. ef that… I mean retire a Phillie, then I change the parameters of my offer.

I know the Mets won’t likely give up Wright, but they might listen on Murphy. We had this conversation a while back.

A Ramirez rental would be fine with me.

“That lineup, if healthy will win a lot of games.” Well duh. What have I been saying for several months now?

2. Rob says:

With rain out we will face Cain, bumm, and Timmy. This series with the midgets will be a tough one but I BELIEVE!

Mark my word Mark, the Dodgers will win the West this year. Here’s a sign for you – Hanley wears the number 13 and what year is it? Go Blue

4. the truth hurts says:

I hope we are able to find a fix at second base. If so, this lineup is going to be even more ridiculous….

Crawford
    Puig
    Gonzalez
    Ramirez
    Kemp
    (Insert name here)
    A.J. Ellis
    Uribe
    Pitcher

I was and still am a huge advocate of Mannywood and the excitement he brought was something I had never seen before in my 20 or so years as a Dodger fan. I thought no way could that ever be repeated. Puig is on his way to doing what I thought would be impossible. We are truly blessed to have this kid on our team.

What a stud.

5. T.O.Dave says:

Larry the Cable Guy just blew a save in the 13th. Gidderdone done Mets.

6. T.O.Dave says:

Duck Dynasty Dude blows a save in the 14th. Go Mets!

7. Rob says:

Luis Cruz 2-4, good for him. Guerrier gives up two hits, a walk, and a pass ball, nothing has changed and on the hook for the loss. This Dbags game is crazy, let’s go Mets.

8. Dodgerdog says:

I still say, this team is nothing without Puig showing up. None of these good vibes get rolling without him, it’s pretty simple. He has turned everyone on, even the bat boys are having fun. Ramirez, ethier, etc. all fell in line behind the true leader on the field, Puig. Write and speculate all you want about how the other guys are responsible, but they are only resurgent because of Puig. People getting healthy, people getting their game back are just second fiddles to the reality of this team’s resurgence. Time to change the name on the front of the jerseys, It’s the Los Angeles 66ers, nothing more, nothing less.

9. Rob says:

So far Puig is in the starting lineup, hope he is healthy and Donnie isn’t just running him out there.

Welcome back Matty!

Capuano is a weak link.

12. Rob says:

Cappy is not the answer, only if we could make him our long relief guy and trade for lohse or garza.

2 bad starts in a row for Cappy (although this is in colorado), AND Nolasco pitched a great game yesterday at Atl….

Wonder if this makes us want to deal more than before?

14. Bball says:

Time to eat pride and say u efed up Ned. It’s time to dfa league. When Crawford is activated hopefully they dfa league.

15. Rob says:

I agree bball, league sucks. Who will go tomorrow when Carl comes back?

16. Jason says:

Booooooooo cappy

17. Bball says:

When did capuano become the #3 anyway. I thought this was Ryu’s start

18. Rob says:

So who sits tomorrow against Cain? Kemp, eithier, Crawford, or Puig? I hope they DFA league but I know they won’t. I am sure SVS will be the guy sent back to ALBQ.

Forget this one as quickly as possible.

From Rumors: “It remains to be seen whether the Dodgers will consider moving Andre Ethier, who was given a five-year, $85MM extension just over a year ago.”

Yeah, we know.

This team could use some more pitching as the bullpen continues to leak and there is a hole in the rotation. Nolasco is looking better, Garza would be fine. I wonder who else might be on the radar that nobody is talking about? Is it time to give Stripling a look? I know the Dodgers prefer a veteran presence, so do I, but if none are really available at a reasonable price, might as well see what our own can do. You never know.

Anyone ever heard of Calico Joe Castle. Played for the Cubs. He had a considerable better start than Puig. Too bad what happened to him.

“A better model may be the schedule adopted by Japan’s NPB league, which has teams playing 144 games in about 180 days”

Since that will NEVER happen in MLB, how about expanding the roster? Or how about we do it the way we do it in Little League – re-entry. Bring a guy back if it turns out you need him. I do understand the point about the long season.

Javy Guerra with a Hold, Ames a blown save last night. Marmol didn’t pitch. Patterson got roughed up. Gordon with a hit, 2 BB and his 30th SB. He is hitting .300. I still have high hopes for him.

Ever heard of Brain Bugosevic?

Me either. He plays CF for the Cubs. You think they would take Ethier for Garza?

22. AnewBlueDay says:

Dodgers have to loose once and awhile. Cap. does seem to be the weak link. But here is where the pitching coach is supposed to help and veteran pitcher — figure out what to do . . . delivery, grip, footing, etc.

Tonight we will see if Ryu really has the right stuff. Can he hang in there for say 7 innings!

Some of the Dodger hitters are really hot now.

23. AnewBlueDay says:

After last night, I expect Ned to trade for a starter ASAP, or sign that guy from the Island and get him a uniform . . .

Ryu’s start tonight is very important. We will find out just what he is made of. He needs to stop the Giants.

24. Watford Dodger says:

You are right Roger – last night proved why we are shopping for a starter. I am not convinced by this resurgence as the holes are still there. We cannot win anything with this pen. The season will be decided by what Ned does between now and end of July. We need some pitching – at least one starter and maybe two for the pen. League must be sent down immediately So Donny doesn’t feel obliged to use him. We can win this division of course but as predicted our main rivals will come again. Arizona are gritty and having looked at their schedule – looks much easier than ours. Offensively we are in a good place – for the moment. A hamstring or a wall can change all that in an instant but its good to see Kemp hitting. Watching the bench it seems to me that Hanley is the leader of this team at the moment – certainly at the centre of things. Hope he stays fit. I’m optimistic but Ned needs to do his job now.

The poll says the Dodgers are the frontrunners in the Nolasco stakes. But, you can bet the phones are busy looking everywhere. Getting Gregg for the back of the bullpen would be nice.

Withrow could be a great 7th/8th inning reliever if he would just pitch to contact. Don’t know what is wrong with League, but I agree with those who say send him to AA to work on his stuff. Dominguez is just probably not quite ready for the Show, but, he got his feet wet. I also am thinking positively on Marmol. He has a great arm, not sure what is in his head, but a change of scenery, and a real shot a pitching for a winner, might shift everything for him.

26. Quasimodo says:

I’m gonna be satisfied with a series win @ Coors Field. Usually Dodgers don’t escape that shitty park with 2/3 grace. Cappy is better than his performance there same as Greinke is. The real games are ahead and we’ve got a lot to feel good about. I’ll cast aside the apprehensive feelings that fallow a loss – especially one @ Rockies.

27. Bobbie17 says:

Our starting pitchers have to go more than 5 innings. Even 6 is not enough. Hopefully, tonight we will see that. An important series. We have a chance to break the Giants with another sweep. It starts tonight.

28. Gonzo says:

I’ll be at the Arizona series for the 8th and 9th. I’ll be sitting right behind the scouts. I hope to overhear any conversations. Grienke should be pitching on Monday so that’ll be fun.

29. Dodgerdog says:

“Dodgers have to loose once and awhile.” NewDay

Sounds like a bowel movement reference. If they have to loose one, I don’t want to hear about it. Or maybe Newday just loosed an extra “o” into the word lose, let’s hope so. Otherwise no bathroom humor about our beloved Dodgers, although the thought of supernachos and dodgerdogs does bring to mind a correlation of loose ones, lol.

The Dodgers offense has stepped it up, but no lead is safe with this bullpen, management must recognize this and are in search of a solution. It may require one of our outfielders moved to obtain a legit man or two for the bully. Dominquez isn’t there yet, as someone pointed out. Jansen is hit or miss, typically he really can’t hit his spots and has to rely on just blowing it by them. From my observation on TV, 75% to 80% of his pitches are not close to the spot the catcher is setting up on. I mean, outside pitches go inside, and vica versa. He also leaves many of his pitches up regardless of which side of the plate he puts it. That’s going to be a real problem if this team makes the playoffs since the better hitting lineups are who you are facing in the playoffs. Better hitters don’t let to many mistakes go unpunished. Come the deadline I hope they get a legit closer and maybe move Jansen to set-up role.

• Kevin says:

Jansen is the least of our problems! Have you seen his k/bb rate? It’s unbelievable! The thing is nobody knows where his cutter is going because it moves so much but who cares if they can’t hit it!

Roger has had an extra o for many years now. We are all used to it.

Capuano – negative WAR, 1.46 WHIP and 5+ ERA and 71 ERA+ is not the guy you want starting any games during a drive. Maybe he can get a few outs from the bullpen, and maybe he can spin 6 innings now and then, but his game is on the back end of a career. He is 7 years removed from his lone All Star appearance and will be 35 next month. Not that that is necessarily too old, but the signs are there. We need to get somebody else.

Ethier and Pederson and some Dodgerdogs for Garza and Gregg. Problem solved and the Cubs get two hitters they need.

31. Dodgerdog says:

Just watch come playoff time, Kevin. The marginal stuff doesn’t get it done when the marginal teams and hitters are gone.

I didn’t know about the ” extra o” factor. We used to have a saying “when in doubt just wop it out”, maybe we can have a “when in doubt just add an o”.

Goo Doodgers!

I was gone all day yesterday after my last post, and didn’t see, until today, the responses (on the previous thread) to my posts concerning Hanley Ramirez.

Roger Craig said: “The links all work for me, and it is clear Hanley can be a whiner. It seems to me that Brooklyn doesn’t want to be confused with the facts—he already has his mind made up.”

Jae said: “What a joke Brooklyn Dodger is. He is so senile that he says Hanley doesn’t sulk, but then says it’s no wonder he sulks because he is playing for the Marlins. He is a chump! Forget anything he says! He just likes to argue even though his argument lacks merit.”

Roger, fact is, the links didn’t all work for me. And with all due respect, I don’t find anything more than opinion, and think that “facts” is stretching it. Simply put, just because someone writes something doesn’t make it fact for me. And yes, my mind will be made up until I see what I consider “facts” or evidence that would alter it. But unlike some people (NOT you Roger, and NOT Mark), I’m open to changing my mind when the evidence suggests that doing so is appropriate. In other words, made up as my mind is on this issue, like everything else, that is always subject to change.

Regarding Jae’s remarks: Clearly he is the one demonstrating dementia. I essentially said that what Hanley had to put up with in Miami “would PROBABLY make anyone sulk.” I didn’t say that Hanley doesn’t sulk and that he also sulks. But perhaps such subtlety of language is beyond Jae’s ken. I would suggest that he keep in mind that READING IS FUNDAMENTAL.

And Badger, my humble thanks for your words of support. You are clearly a source of reason and expertise around here, and as you so kindly said about me, “well stated and civil”.

And finally, as I noted yesterday, I in no way was questioning Mark’s veracity. If it somehow came off that way, I humbly apologize. I simply do not accept as factual that there is a bad Hanley, at least not the one currently playing for the Dodgers. As Mark himself noted, maybe he’s matured. Or maybe he simply appreciates where he is, as opposed to where he was. Perhaps a combination of both.

If there ever was a bad Hanley, I don’t believe he’s currently playing for the Dodgers. That’s my opinion. Anyone else is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that.

33. AnewBlueDay says:

Dodgerdog — in response to your remark about the extra “o” . . .

I am currently in Chemotherapy. Completed 4 weeks now and have maybe 5 or 6 more months to go. I did this 2 and a half years ago (some will remember here) and it greatly helped my disease (Amyloidosis; which is not curable). Anyway, this makes me have the extra “o” many times during the week. The process is: CyBorD; one can look that up, top article is my Mayo Dr. in Scottsdale; not far from Badger.

The disease was diagnosed almost 10 years ago now. And began with a Stem Cell Transplant. When I was home from the 30 days in the VA Hospital after the STC and massive Chemo then, Mark called me at home, we had know each other only from the various Dodger fan boards — and he really helped me with that call, because I was not sure I was going to make it then. But Mark, or known as Mountain Mover . . . was of great help. Then about two years later we met at Spring Training in Vero for 10 days and roomed together as we visited Dodgertown each day from like 9 am till they kicked us out.

Bottom line, I have been on the DL for 10 years with this . . . and following the Dodgers really helps — but it is high time that they finally win so I can call it a career of following them — since I was 7 in 1948. See, I am 72 now; and pushing the Old Timer, who we have not heard from in over a year now.

34. Dodgerdog says:

Good on you Anew, no offense intended, just thought it looked funny to see lose spelled as loose. As you noted I even asked if you just put in an extra “o” accidentally. After all that, it was simply a bathroom humor joke and not directed at you in the least (or the most either).

Chemo is no fun, my wife had to go thru it several years ago and I watched the agony. It did her well and she is a survivor for more than 18 years now. She is actually a Hospice RN, helping many folks that suffer greatly. For me, I’m just a douchebag the likes to make funny comments, helping some and not helping others with my comments.

Godspeed in your recovery during this trying time. At least the Dodgers are giving you reasons to follow them, finally this season.

35. Jae says:

Dwight Howard to Houston. The Lakers are screwed.

36. the truth hurts says:

Crawford
    Utley
    Puig
    Gonzalez
    Ramirez
    Kemp
    Ellis
    Uribe
    Pitcher

Make it happen Jed.

37. Bball says:

I guess the solution at third is Ian Stewart. Lets hope not

38. Dodgerdog says:

Howard not being a Laker is actually probably not such a bad thing. Howard has proven throughout his career to be an emotional rollercoaster. He has to be coddled and babied, receive all the attention. He didn’t have the balls to handle playing in the bright lights of LA. This will prove to be a good thing for the Lakers.

Now D’Antonie he is another issue. I’m not convinced he can really do much with this team, time will tell but I don’t expect a winner with D’Antonie as head coach. He makes it one more disappointing season and then he is gone.

39. Dodgerdog says:

Where is the venom for the Giants?

Come on, we start a 3 game series with the hated cornholios and not a peep.

40. Jae says:

Giants suck.

Giants are baby killers!

ESPN NBA saying Howard is 50/50. He is Howard.

Baby killers? Don’t get it. What’s the reference?

42. AnewBlueDay says:

Finally, we see what Mr. Ryu is made of . . . against the Giants.

Is this the beginning of a great year, or the beginning of the end . . .

43. Bball says:

I’ve always hated the giants. But let me tell u y I hate giant fans. When Hanley pulled his hammy the crowd cheered. I mean you in the f does that. Classless. I will never hate a team that much to cheer when somebody gets hurt. Otherwise I’d be saying Brian stow instagated the fight that almost killed him. That would be absolutely obsured. I can’t stand the giants but I would never stoop to there sorry ass level. F u giants go dodgers

44. Bball says:

Your my boy uribe. Ya baby

45. Anonymous says:

This is almost unfair. Can you picture yourself on the mound having to face Puig, Gonzo, HanRam, Ethier ,Kemp, AJ and my boy Uribe.
    Life is good

46. Jason says:

Crawford comes off the DL..Matt goes back on.
    This team has shitty ass luck.
    Damn.

Kemp out in the third? What’s up with that?

48. Quasimodo says:

Shame, shame, shame on me for the bad things I’ve said about Uribe! Juan, you’re now my HERO!

49. Rob says:

Looked like he hyper extended his left shoulder swinging.

50. Rob says:

We just need utley or Altuve.

51. Bball says:

Uribe. That’s my boy. I no Kemps coming out sucks but can you think of another team as fortunate as this one. Hopefully Kemps injury is nothing but if it is something. We are very deep in the outfield. Kicking some ass tonight. I love it.

52. Jason says:

Where do we get our Uribe jerseys?
    Man he must have read this forum in the off-season.

53. Quasimodo says:

Uribe is gonna get the cycle tonight.

54. Bball says:

So proud of this team. Holy cow 7 RBI for uribe. Just love it. And we need a 3 baseman y. Uribe is the shit.

55. Gonzo says:

With the emergence of Puig and Gonzo, Hanley and Andre’s bats heating up the complimentary players like the Ellises and Uribe now know that they don’t have to shoulder the load and try to be a positive force in the lineup. The game is easier for 2nd tier players when the horses are doing their job. Or being Uribes contract year he is finally giving a crap. The bullpen still scares me, but what fun this season is turning out to be.

56. jerry says:

kemp get hurt to much now…dont trade either ..but trade kemp..i dont think some of you no a good player if you saw one.

57. Quasimodo says:

Got to be careful, Gonzo. Last time I had this much fun I went to jail.

58. T.O.Dave says:

Hey Brandon Belt, do you still think we lack chemistry?

59. AnewBlueDay says:

Great to beat these guys in their park.

Ryu is the man. He stepped up and gave his all.

Uribe really woke up and smelled the flowers of victory.

I saw bits and pieces of the game: the two ABs I saw of Puig, he looked very uncomfortable at the plate. Off balance, bad swings . . . not like in his first month of play up here. What did some of you see . . . ???

Gee, Kemp has been Month to Month, and Day to Day, now he is Swing to Swing.

With five outfielders — bring SVS back and have Matt heal properly. He does not need to be a hero now. He needs to get well. Heck, even if he is not ready till August or September, fine — but this in and out, up and down, hurts the team and how the guys are going.

Dominguez and League go 2+ scoreless. Crawford quoted as not being sure about sitting on bench. You know Ethier won’t go for it. Should Kemp be shut down? He says he’s fine but that is the cortisone talking. Uribe doing exactly what I thought he would do – working on a new contract. He’s our best option for third base. Get Utley. Get a starter. We might have enough with those two moves.

Lakers ultimately will be better off. Plaschke is right. Howard the Coward is no match for a stage that large.

62. jerry says:

basket ball suck.over paid baby…who care who is better than the other guy …there getting paid to preform ..not complent,that all i here..it use to be shack and cobe

63. Gonzo says:

At 7′ tall Howard realized he was and always would be a small fish in a big pond. I don’t think many laker fans are too disappointed that he left. LA never rebuilds they reload. From what I’ve read it seems Jim buss will allow his sister to be more involved along with Jackson. Even Phil said in an interview that the relationship between Jeannie and Jim is getting better.

Quas, when you end up arrested for having too much fun makes some interesting stories. I got arrested in Mexico once for having to much fun.

1. [...] the only team in the NL West to have a winning record over the last seven days. more… If it’s not broke, don’t fix it! – ladodgertalk.com 07/04/2013 On June 23rd I wrote this: The Dodgers had a nice win last [...]