Has there ever been a better time to be a Dodger fan?

Forty years ago!   It was 1973, to be exact,  I had graduated from high school the year before and turned down an academic scholarship at the Ohio State University, so that I could pursue my dream of becoming a plumber.  [see, I told you I was a dumbass]   A buddy and I went to Spring Training in Vero Beach for a couple of days.  I was so elated that they had moved Steve Garvey who had 28 errors in 76 games from 3B to 1B.  In my mind, I thought he was a little short, but at least wouldn’t have to throw very much.

Billy Russell was set to start all 162 games at SS that year after switching to the position the year before.  Davey Lopes was a 28 year-old rookie with some wheels and Ron Cey who really walked like a penguin, was also a rookie.  About this time, 40 years ago, those guys would start playing together as the Dodger infield for eight and a half years.

The seventies  and early eighties were a good time to be a Dodger fan – In addition to these four infielders, there was Willie Davis, Willie Crawford, Bill Buckner, Joe Ferguson, Steve Yeager, Andy Messersmith, Don Sutton, Claude Osteen, Bert Hooton, Jim Brewer, Doug Rau, Tommy John, Jimmy Wynn, AL Downing, Rick Rhoden, Pitcher Mike Marshall, Dusty Baker, Reggie Smith, Bill North, Rick Monday, Bob Welch, Terry Forester, Pedro Guerrero, Rick Sutcliffe, Jerry Reuss, Charlie Hough, Rudy Law, Jay Johnstone,  Dave Goltz, Mike Scioscia, Ken Landreaux, Fernando and the late Steve Howe.

From 1973 through 1982 Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey formed one of the best infields ever and the Dodgers had plenty of hitters… as well as pitching.

These times are starting to feel like the Golden Era of 1973 to 1982 of Dodger Baseball.  You may have a different idea as to when the Golden Era is, so let’s just call the Golden Era now.

By season’s end Hanley Ramirez may have enough AB’s to win the MVP.  Yasiel Puig is the real real and will figure it out while winning the ROY.  Carl Crawford and Andre Ethier equal one solid player and Matt Kemp has a big run left in him.  I like this team and would not mess with the chemistry unless blown-away by an offer.  Let’s Roll!OurPeopleMakeTheDifference

62 Responses to “Has there ever been a better time to be a Dodger fan?”

1. Robert says:

Any self-respecting Dodger fan knows it’s Burt.

Wasn’t Dave Goltz was awful.

• Mark_Timmons says:

… unless that are on Vicodin.

Dave Goltz was horrible as a Dodger – they got him on the wrong side of 30. When he was 28 however, he went 20-11 with 3.34 ERA while pitching 303 innings.

Don\’t trade for old guys.

Anybody see The Sports Reporters this morning? Show on pitch counts.

How old is old? 34 and old guy?

I too remember the 70′s. That was the decade following the glory days of the 60′s, which actually began in ’59.

3. Bluenose Dodger says:

Only better time to be a Dodger fan was from 1952- 1966. I say ’52 as that was my first year as a Dodger fan. During that time the Dodgers went to the WS eight times with four championships. Several HOF players – Robinson, Reese, Snider, Campanella, Koufax, Drysdale and Manager Walter Alston. Others like Furillo, Erskine, Newcombe, Hodges.

That is not to throw a blanket on the present day run as it is a great time to be a Dodger fan. It’s just you young spunks didn’t live through the real Golden Age of Dodger baseball in the fifties and sixties.

4. SpokaneBob says:

I agree about the chemistry, it seems to be very good. Management may choose to go with what we have as far as position players. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

As far as the Golden Age goes, the boys of summer had a prety good run. And being a Dodger fan from ’59 to ’66 was prety special. Hopefully we are entering a period of prolonged enjoyment for us Dodger faithful. After the last 25 years I say we deserve it.

• Bluenose Dodger says:

SB – I don’t feel a need to win a WS every year. The glory of those years was that there was a chance to get to the WS almost every year. That has been my complaint over the least 24 years. That is, the team has tried to buy and not build with a long series of failed long, expensive contracts to guys on the downhill side of careers.

I think the team has turned that corner. Management seems to finally have an eye to the future as they build for today so that the team can become competitive yearly. They have acquired some good pieces for a few years and are working feverishly with international signings. I expect draft picks have also become something to be coveted again.

I don’t think there is an absolute need to make a move, but I do think a 5th starter to replace today’s starter (Capuano) would be welcome, assuming of course that the price is not prohibitive. Now that I said that, Capuano will probably toss a two-hit shutout today. Of course if the Dodgers think they have an internal 5th starter solution, then I’m all for it.

Fife wasn\’t shabby!

Best time to be a Dodger fan for me was 1988, as they won the World Series on my bday: still my best bday present ever.

Any of you ever get a World Series title on your bdays???

8. AnewBlueDay says:

Having a nice starting 5 if fine — if a team wants to be in the hunt for the crown, and in the lead most of the time . . . a fine starting 5 will not cut it. Weak links do not work and stand up.

The grind is game after game, no let-ups. Cap is that big “if.” As a fan, I would like the close the gap and bring in another. As I remember, Fife had some nice starts. He seems to be ok as the 5th.

Ryu really came through last night. He stepped up big time.

9. Watford Dodger says:

Fife for Cappy 100%. Went last night and there really is no better place in the world as day turns to night than Chavez Ravine. It really is magical.
    The game was great – Ryu backed by thousands of Koreans was brilliant. So much variety on his pitches. A 123 of Kershaw, Grienke & Ryu could take some stopping post season. Live at the game you really feel that Hanley is the heartbeat – both for the fans and the team.
    Respect to Donnie when he pulled Belly for Paco after 2 outs in the 8th – good call. I didnt realize what a big fella Bellasario is. He’s built like a linebacker. The team is playing with a lot of belief and that was without Crawford & Kemp. The Reds are a dangerous team but Badger is right we are better. We need Hanley & Yasiel to stay healthy and then as some would say …. I’m BEGINING to feel confident….

If Fife is the internal solution, then fine. But he’s coming back (soon I think) from a bout with bursitis in his shoulder. Maybe he’s fully recovered, maybe not. I trust that Dodger management knows what they’re doing. And I wouldn’t mind getting another quality starter (depending on the price), and using Fife for long relief. And if that’s the case, it probably means dumping Capuano, which is also OK with me.

Lots of possibilities. Will be interesting to see what transpires. Guess we’ll have a better idea come Wednesday afternoon (non-waiver trade deadline).

11. Idaho al says:

I think Fife is the answer to the 5th starter. Every time he pitched before the injury, he kept us in the game. He did not look great, but his ERA was good. I think he is pitching at AAA right now in a rehab assignment.

If pitching is available, I get it. If another bat is available, I get that too. It’s about this year. We can make adjustments to the minor leagues year after year, but if we have a shot at a title THIS year? Then we go for it.

I would take Lee in a freakin’ heartbeat. Depends on what they want of course. I want Utley too. Same thing. Here’s an idea…..why not take both of them, with a wink and a nod they can have Utley right back next year to retire a Phillie. Lee is owed another $62 million after this year so we would be doing Philadelphia a favor taking that contract off their hands. This is they guy (35 next year) that everyone says not to sign, so, he’s already signed. He is pitching well this year, but, is only one outing away from a retirement facility. I take the risk to have that 4th great starter.

13. Davey Lopes says:

As far as I’m concerned, I can honestly say that every year and every era is a good one to be a Dodgers fan. I don’t do the fair weathered fan thing, just not part of my emotional make-up. The wind may blow east, west, north or south but I stay the course.

• Quasimodo says:

Its fairly safe that everybody here has ALWAYS held Dodgers as their #1 team. But that doesn’t mean Dodgers made every era fun. This very moment is really fun to be a Dodger fan but the season didn’t start so fun.

14. Quasimodo says:

While they’re announcing so many ‘Hall of Fame’s’ on the TV, right now, I’m finding it strange that Kent Tekulve didn’t ever get voted in. Whenever the term ‘relief pitcher’ comes into a conversation the 1st name that comes into my mind Kent Tekulve. It was really fun watching him take the mound. He should of been a Dodger!

15. Quasimodo says:

Badger, I’d bet you at this very moment that you have a tear in your eye – that is if you have the ‘HOF Induction Ceremony’ on.

16. Bobbie17 says:

This isn’t the golden age yet. But it might be the beginning. I’m with Bluenose on the golden age. Great teams. Championships. HOFers. Tough to beat. Our former, former manager somehow has figured out how to use the bullpen. I think the front office had something to do with it by getting rid of Guerrier. But limiting Bellasario and League has been the biggest difference–plus Puig. This bullpen takes the pressure off the starters, which makes the starters better. Who would have thought? I really like the infusion of youth into the team as it stands. I think the old guys like it too. Good show. Now, to get to 90 wins.

17. AnewBlueDay says:

Gee, 6 innings and Cap. has held them . . . could not ask for anything more from him.

How about Dodger hitters — taking a lot of pine right now.

18. my boy blue says:

Good Cappy!

I didn’t have the game on Quas. But, I did just see the end on MLB.

Good Cap and good Puig.

dbacks go down again…. and the lead is extended.

We are in one of those UP periods. It all appears to be going our way. It won’t last for the entire season, so, enjoy it while it happens.

I still make the moves that will improve the club.

What did I say? “Capuano will probably toss a two-hit shutout today.” Am I clairvoyant or not? Well, I would be if I had been serious.

Nice ending for what had been a crappy day for Yasiel. Hopefully, over time we’ll see less crappy days, and more of what we saw in the 11th.

Nice job by Capuano and the bullpen, but I still think we need another quality starting pitcher. I agree with Badger that we have to go for it this year. And if it’s the right pitcher (or whatever we get), I’m not concerned if we have to give up some prospects. I don’t like giving up prospects, but I’m confident that this organization is well into re-stocking the talent pipeline, and that whomever we trade can probably be replaced. Besides, a farm system has two functions:

a.) To provide talent to the big league club.
    b.) To provide talent that can be traded for established big league talent.

21. jerry says:

most of those 20 strike out..where on bad pitches.

You know things have turned around and in our favor because we are now winning these type of games which we would easily have lost earlier

The cream always rises to the top

Loved Puigs slide at home

I think I’m dead and went to Dodger Heaven

24. the truth hurts says:

Phillies got pounded again. That’s 8 straight. I think that makes them sellers.

The Phillies could definitely be sellers. And I wouldn’t take seriously any denials they make. No reason for them to tip their hand if they are contemplating something. I too would like Utley, but in his case, only for the right price. If the Phillies are looking to save some money that they can use to improve themselves going into next year, then there’s no reason they wouldn’t unload Utley. Same goes for Cliff Lee, although I think the Dodgers taking on that contract would be a bit of a gamble, since Lee is 35. But you never know. Even before the PED era there were pitchers who pitched successfully into their late 30′s and even early 40′s.

If everyone is healthy and producing, I could live with a rotation of Kershaw, Greinke, Lee, Ryu and Nolasco.

But be it Lee or someone else, I still think the Dodgers need another arm. And if they can get one (or two), then why not?

Chances are that if the Dodgers play well enough to win the second wild card, that will also be good enough to get them the division. But just in case, taking this series against the Reds put the Dodgers just two games behind for the second wildcard spot. But the objective is of course, the division.

27. pgunn says:

Cliff Lee? Utley? Michael Young?

28. Quasimodo says:

Mark, are you doing better? I hope you are.

Lee Utley and Young?

Yeah. Sure. All three. That ought to do it.

It would be nice to have a record good enough to have a shot at home field.

Loved Vinny’s description of Puig yesterday after he was picked off.

It was something like this..

“Do you have a small child at home? You know what it’s like to have to keep them from killing themselves or lighting the house on fire? That’s what Mattingly is dealing with…”

Hilarious! So true. Puig’s at bats were so bad yesterday you almost knew he was going to swing from his heels in the 11th. He was gonna hit that HR or strikeout ugly.

Swing hard in case you hit it Yasiel! LOL

This is a great time to be a Dodger fan. Also like “Davey Lopes” said earlier. It’s always good to be a fan, not a fair weather fan. The lean years make this stuff fun. The Billy Ashley’s, Rafael Landestoy’s, FP Santangelo’s make you appreciate the Hanley, Puig, etc’s.

I believe you hit the nail on the head Romo, Puig is excitement however. You either want to kill him or pat him on the back. Hanley Ramirez is playing MVP baseball. Cap pitched a great game yesterday but still wanting Fife back. Wow, what a ballsy move yesterday pulling Harriston out of the game in the middle of the inning. GO Dodgers.

PS, Hope you are feeling better Mark.

32. the truth hurts says:

During the Braves/Cardinals game on ESPN last night they mentioned that the Braves have 7 remaining games with teams over .500, stay in the east/central time zone the remainder of the season and the majority of those games will be in Atlanta. They might be hard to keep up with for the top spot and St. Louis is still far ahead of everyone else. It would be nice to have a shot at home field but we have our work cut out for us. I expect some kind of slump but as long as we win the division and do not fall to one of those wild card spots, we should be fine. The play in wild card game is not a gamble anyone wants to take. They should make it a best of 3 series.

33. Quasimodo says:

Its my thinking that MLB has already stretched playoffs beyond recognition. Its more baseball and more $, but its already unfair to teams that won their division, though the same thing can be said about the leagues before they divided them into divisions. I guess any which way its the team that’s hot above the team that’s the best.

“I guess any which way its the team that’s hot above the team that’s the best.”

As evidenced by SF’s two WS wins. Both the teams they played were better than the midgets. They were just not better that week.

I don’t put as much weight on the Braves schedule. Will they be playing as well in August and September? Some of those teams currently under .500 could go on streaks of their own. The Dodgers did just that.

Just take care of business every series and the best teams will come out with the best record. Agree it will be difficult to beat St. Louis. Those guys are good. I am not as enamored with the Braves. I think we can pass them.

“I am not as enamored with the Braves.” me

They just got a little better.

36. Quasimodo says:

Who’d they pick up?

37. Quasimodo says:

Wonder why we’re not hearing much on Kemp’s condition. He’ll likely be reinstated on the 15th day only to sit a couple days. Dodgers really don’t have an open book there.

38. Quasimodo says:

Wow! I didn’t think Angels would be sellers regardless of their standing.

I think it would be advisable for the Angels to move a few more players.

Kendrick anyone? He’s owed about 19 mil over the next two years.

Not sure who else might be available.

Didn’t seem all that slow to me, certainly not slow enough to be benched and then suspended. Maybe I’m just getting old (well, really, I am).

40. AnewBlueDay says:

Just watched the every end of the Angels – Rangers — where 2 HR did the Angels in. Very dynamic ending. If you missed it I am sure it will be on the wrapup shows.

He stood and watched it, which is not good. But the trot wasn’t that slow.

Angels cough up another hair ball.

SELL!!!

42. Bball says:

It’s far fetched but listening too mlb radio today they brought up Edwin encarnacion as a possible trade candidate. I don’t think he plays much of third anymore but I remember him as a Red playing third. Man his bat mixed in this lineup, Geez just imagine.

Yoiks.

I’ll bet he could do it. He’s played 10 games at third this year, 58 at first, the rest he DH’d.

I would take him and put him in the mix – some at third an occasional game at first, thunder off the bench.

The best fit is still Utley. Maybe Kendrick as the Angels continue to tumble. More will be discussed as the deadline is closing in. There is still the waiver wire later too.

Corey Saeger 2 hr, 5rbi last night.

This guy is going to be legit!!

Seager IS legit. But he won’t help the big club for a few years.

Sure are a lot of buyers this year. And many of them have more better prospects than does us.

45. Quasimodo says:

So, are we going to talk on Wilson? Strange I’m the one to bring up that subject. Especially when he seems to want to land with Dodgers.

Quas,
    I am not a fan of Brian Wilson but if he can pitch I’ll take him for the remainder of this season. The dudes “act” annoys me. I won’t be surprised if he shows up with a blue beard. hahaha

The good news is if he ends up here he doesn’t cost us any prospects. Any other quality bullpen arm would likely cost us something significant

47. Miguel says:

For me it was that magical year of 1988. I was in 7th grade and surrounded by Giants and A’s fans, having grown up in San Jose, the future home the San Jose A’s major league baseball club. I was spit on, kicked, and had alot of fights that year defending my team and my right to wear my Dodgers Starter jacket.

They weren’t a flashy team. They weren’t necessarily that athletic. Hell, they weren’t supposed to win the division let alone the world series! While the A’s had the bash brothers, who were giant men amongst children. They had Eck, and Dave Stewart and LaRussa. They had a 100+ win club and everyone’s #1 pick to make it to the Series that year.

I think that i loved the underdog status we had. We weren’t that talented, but we found ways to win. Lasorda had one of the more masterful seasons as a manager, accounting for a handful of wins on his pure managing genius alone that year. It was a magical time.

48. Quasimodo says:

DRomo, I know where you’re coming from as I’m from the same. But S.F. is the kind of place that wanted orange beards, panda costumes, milkman outfits, etc. I can’t say I like him and I really don’t know if he’s back to form from surgery, but he is battle tested and wants to be a Dodger, (who doesn’t these days?) so if he comes at a discount to land here, I can see a fit.

49. Watford Dodger says:

I find it a bit embarrassing that we are considering people like Wison & Marmol given our brilliant recovery from such an unlikely position five weeks ago. I understand that we don’t want to give up prospects and maybe it’s not a very deep well this year but surely we should be aiming for quality releavers who are ready to go now not who need counselling and therapy before their good to go. Detroit mean business & so do Atlanta. I say this I’d our moment lets go for it.

50. Watford Dodger says:

Sorry Relievers.

51. Dino says:

DODGERS SIGN WILSON

Maromol was worth the investment. At one time he had one of the more electric bullpen arms in the league. Wilson? meh, if he can get some outs, and the Dodgers must believe he can, then I am for that too. Never liked the beard, but he sure rode that thing to some serious bank. Hope he doesn’t bring that with him. That was a midget thing.

Hope that’s not all there is.

Good story Miguel. I lived up in gint country too, from Chico, to Redding to Eureka to Napa – midget fans everywhere. I had a running bet with a softball buddy from Redding that the Dodgers would finish in front of the gints – and I won most of the years I lived up that way. It’s tough to accept they have two WS Championships since we won our last one. Just doesn’t seem right.

53. Quasimodo says:

Don’t know what he cost, (as if that means anything to me) but the potential of this deal looks pretty damn good. Seems that a 2013 contract is just a look-see that Wilson feels he’ll be able to prove himself. That sounds like something Wilson put on the table as ‘an offer that Ned couldn’t refuse”. But maybe I’m just reading too much in to a thing I know nothing about. But, Wilson did make it known Dodgers was is 1st choice.

54. Quasimodo says:

My last ‘comment is awaiting moderation’?