Everything from Kemp’s shoulder to Uribe’s behind

Kemp’s Shoulder

On Matt Kemp’s AC joint pain, I can speak from experience.  It is one of the sharpest, searing pains you can ever have and it literally pops!  Kemp will likely not need the DL, but will have to miss a few games to  let it calm down after the steroid shot (Kemp is on steroids!).  It’s also a mental hurdle because you think (know) it will do it again… and it might!  I have never been shot, but that’s what it must feel like.  You know that for Matt to ask out of the game, it had to hurt a lot.  But, the Dodgers will be OK without him for a few days.

With Bumgarner pitching and Dominguez having pitched last night, I was send Dominguez down and recall SVS so that I had another RH bat available.   We have nothing to fear – Stephen Fife has a better ERA than Bumgarner!  HA!

Uribe’s Behind

The way Juan Uribe is hitting, the Dodgers don’t need a thirdbaseman.  I never, ever thought I’d say that!  He is much more selective and swinging at pitches he is capable of hitting.  I don’t expect him to hit .280 all year (but I didn’t expect this either) but he is exceeding everyone’s expectations.  If he keeps this up, I would not be opposed to signing him to a one-year deal next year.  Seager will be ready in 2015… maybe late 2014 and Hanley or Cory can play SS.  That way we don’t have to give up any minor league talent.

Lee’s Arm

Zach Lee keeps battling and getting better.  He now has a 2.79 ERA – not too shabby.  He just needs one more pitch.

Stripling’s Stats

Ross Stripling has a 2.29 ERA with a 1.04 WHIP at  AA.  He is a strike-thrower and might do well if the Dodgers pull a “Billingsley” and put him in the pen the rest of this year.  I think he would excel in middle relief.

League’s Psyche

I think Brandon League should go down to AA for a few games to work on his mechanics.  Even though he pitched a scoreless inning last night, he needs to work on that outside the constraints of a pennant race.  I  think he can still be very, very good once he irons out his mechanics and gets his mojo back.  Most players won’t accept such an assignment, but he should.

Puig’s Star

Bochy has been told by MLB to get Puig in the All-Star Game.  Nuff’ said!  He needs to be there.  There’s never been another player like this is a long, long time.

4th-of-july-12a

30 Responses to “Everything from Kemp’s shoulder to Uribe’s behind”

Watching Kemp flail away like he does I cannot help but wonder if that swing is part of his problem. We have been talking about him “shortening” his swing and why someone isn’t talking to him about that amazes me. It’s that left shoulder that gets thrown out violently. Here’s a tip for him – keep both hands on the bat through the swing. Simple thing really, but one that just might keep him on the field.

On Lee: “He just needs one more pitch.”

And why doesn’t he have one? He has been a pro for three years now. That is more than enough time to develop another pitch. I developed a circle change in one week-end at age 50. Threw it about 50 times and with that I could get it over the plate. Easy squeezy. In the minor leagues, for the first few months it doesn’t matter if you throw it over the plate or not – just throw the damn thing. These guys are pros. It’s ALL they do. The idea it takes years to develop another pitch is nonsense.

“There’s never been another player like this is a long, long time.”

I think I might agree. Not sure. Like I said, only Joe Castle started better. Can’t believe none of you guys know who that is.

I doubt League would go to AA without barking publicly about it, but it’s probably a good idea. Maybe his one inning last night turned him around. yeah, maybe

Stripling at home against the Rockies before the break. I think Capuano’s spot comes up then, let Stripling have it. Or, if you don’t want to wait that long, let him pitch in Arizona.

Lee does need something. When he locates his pitches, he is very good, but if he’s not 100% on, he’s not good. Pitchers have to have a pitch (or pitches) they can rely on when they don’t have their A Game (which is most of the time). Lee has good pitches, but to be anymore than a #5, he’s going to need another pitch. I agree he should have it, but he doesn’t.

Joe Castle (known as “Calico Joe”), was a promising 21-year-old rookie Chicago Cubs first baseman from Calico Rock, Arkansas who posted career statistics of 21 home runs in 38 games and a career batting average of .488. He is a man of extreme virtue, who donated his signing bonus to a variety of charities. He was also a fictional character in a John Grisham book.

3. AnewBlueDay says:

Badger, I once saw Sidd Finch face Joe Castle in a game. And Sidd struck him out 4 times. Four . . . Joe looked like a little leaguer trying to hit that fast ball.

Would love to have been there for that match-up Roger.

Man of letters Mark. Those letters are probably g o g l and e.

How long will Kemp be out this time?

I wonder if Lee is second guessing his decision. His ceiling keeps getting lowered. Maybe LSU will still take him. He is a millionaire. But that money would still be there now after a couple years of college.

5. the truth hurts says:

Can we please fix this second base issue?

I’m wondering if maybe the Dodgers should DL Kemp, and together with the extra time from the All-Star break, get him as healthy as possible for the remainder of the season. Besides, we’ve seen in the past that he’s not all that valuable when he’s not 100%. In the interim we can call back SVS.

If Uribe continues to produce, then the Dodgers don’t need a third baseman (unless it’s an All-Star caliber guy, if such a player is even available). But looking at Uribe’s body of work, he hasn’t been a .280 hitter except on a few occasions in his career. Mostly a .230 – .250 hitter with a low OBP (lifetime .251 Avg., .296 OBP). However, this year he has a .355 OBP to go along with his .280 average. Who knows, maybe a light has gone on, and he’s finally learned a little patience at the plate, and this will continue. Or as Badger has pointed out in the past, maybe this is all a manifestation of this being a contract year for him. If so, maybe he’ll continue it through October. Whatever the case, it’s not out of the question that it will continue, because these things do happen.

However, I hope that the Dodgers have higher aspirations than considering a re-signing of Uribe for next year, even if it’s only for 2014. Seager, I believe can play more than just 3B, and besides, I wouldn’t be counting on him until he shows what he can do when he advances to at least AA. That’s usually a big jump, and also reveals a lot. And he’ll only be 21 in 2015. Also, this organization now has the resources to consider almost anything.

I’m not certain of what Lee’s repertoire is, but I do know that he’s only 21. I don’t think that teams burden their young pitchers with picking up new pitches as much as they stress location and command and refinement of the pitches they already have, only adding additional pitches over time. Lee’s stats of a 2.79 ERA with a 1.12 WHIP aren’t too shabby. And he’s also 2 years YOUNGER than Stripling. Lee will be 22 in September, and Stripling will be 24 in November.

Dominguez threw a couple of nice changeups last night. If he could do that and throw strikes consistently, he’d likely be effective. I think it’s the Dodgers who have to determine whether they believe he can do that with them now, or if he needs some more seasoning in the minors.

Even if he agreed, could the Dodgers just send Brandon League down without exposing him to other teams? Of course, maybe that’s not a bad idea, because no team is likely going to want to take on his contract, and the Dodgers might be happy if they did. Or maybe, with League’s cooperation, they could concoct a DL stay for him, and then later on send him out for a rehab assignment.

Capuano’s recent outings don’t inspire confidence. And the fact that his next outing is scheduled for Arizona is not encouraging. Lee, Stripling or a deal for a pitcher (as always, depending on the price) would be preferable.

Guess the Dodgers don’t want to mess with the rotation, but I would have felt better if Kershaw was pitching against the D-Backs Monday night instead of the Giants on Sunday.

What did Uribe do in his LAST contract year?

I think Capuano gets one more start. Lee is 22 soon. He will get bigger and stronger so I am sure there will be no rush. Personally I don’t believe any starting ML pitcher should take the mound without an off speed pitch he can throw for strikes. Relievers can get away with that but not starters.

We have 5 starters at AAA. Anybody want any of them?

We are stuck with Kemp and that ridankulous 160 milyun dollar contract. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I agree wit Brooklyn – give him time off. Lots of it. And don’t let him swing until he agrees to keep both hands on the bat.

8. Quasimodo says:

2B is far from broken.

9. Hawkeyedodger says:

Van Slyke can’t be recalled for 10 days without someone going to the DL.

10. jerry says:

trade kemp..he is done and will be hurt off and on from now on.

11. Watford Dodger says:

Why send SVS down anyway – been waiting all season for power from the bench. Season is in Ned’s slippery hands – a starter maybe but the pen is not strong enough to take us all the way.

12. SpokaneBob says:

Both the Dodgers and Giants have made open offers to acquire Marlins starter Ricky Nolasco, reports MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro. The Dodgers are reportedly offering a pitching prospect and would take on the approximately $5.7MM remaining on Nolasco’s deal. The Giants’ offer, on the other hand, would send two pitching prospects to Miami but would also require some dollars to accompany Nolasco to San Fran.

13. Idaho al says:

I agree with Badger, Capuano gets one more start. Then we will see if Stripling will come up. What are the Dodgers going to do with Lily when he comes off the DL? I certainly would give anyone Capuano and Lily for a starting pitcher. I doubt if anyone would do it.
    It looks to me like Dominguez has a slider and a change up. I know Vin called them change ups, but I think a couple of them were sliders. His fastball is hitable, if that is all he can use. Chris Withrop is a little the same way. His fastball is hitable unless he uses other pitches.

Update on the Nolasco thing above in MLB trade rumors. According to that report the Dodgers are the favorite, and have offered 3 non-elite prospects, and to pick up the full Nolasco prorated salary. Who knows? Never know about these things until they’re actually completed. But I’m sure the Dodgers are involved seriously.

Badger, that contract did seem like a good idea at the time. Even a bargain given the kinds of contracts that are given out nowadays. Injuries are impossible to predict. Didn’t Kemp have a streak of 300-400 consecutive games played (don’t remember the exact number) before going on the DL last year. Of course, we want him back healthy and playing to his ability this year. But were it the case that he didn’t return fully healthy until next year, and gave us healthy Matt Kemp kind of play for the remainder of his contract, it would no longer seem “ridankulous”.

“trade kemp..he is done and will be hurt off and on from now on.” Jerry, are you clairvoyant? How do you know that? And if you know it, then every other team knows it, and we wouldn’t get anything for him. And one other thing. Have you not observed the play of Agon and Hanley this year. They both had surgery similar to Kemp’s a couple of years ago. Sometimes these things just take time. Hanley and Agon weren’t too bad last year, and just better this year. Maybe Matt Kemp has to go through the same progression. But I’m only guessing, since I’m not privy to inside Dodger medical info.

Here’s the Rosenthal report on the Dodgers bid for Nolasco.

16. jerry says:

brooklyn dodger, because this is the second yr..he has been hurt.the one who get hurt …keep getting hurt

17. Quasimodo says:

I hope the airline tragedy @ SF airport is without connection to any of the fielders tonight. Its sad that there has to be any connection to anybody.

18. Quasimodo says:

Talk about bizarre! Posey batting twice. geez! lolz

19. Rob says:

Punto better hit a three run shot to make up for his blunders.

20. AnewBlueDay says:

Several here have suggested the Dodgers trade for Altuve of the Astros, 2B.

He is their best average hitter; .287 and leads the team.

19 stolen bases, nothing to sneeze at.

27 RBIs, 95 hits; he could just get to 190 or 200 this season.

If I am the Astros, I say, OK, give me Mark Ellis and 2 key prospects and 1 low minor league prospect and we will see.

Now, if I am the Dodgers GM, I make that trade and shoot for this season to win it all.

1. We do not need another outfielder for a couple of seasons: Crawford, Kemp, Ethier, Puig, SVS. We can give them Joc Pederson, Alex Castellanos.

2. We have a boat load or above average minor league pitchers, enough to give of one.

This guy, Jose Altuve, might be what the Dodgers need. If so, go get him. Keep Uribe at 3b — and look for more pitching elsewhere.

21. AnewBlueDay says:

I looked quick, but one of the hottest teams in all of major league baseball, has one player on the roster, Clayton Kershaw. That is it. No others.

Maybe one of Adrian or Puig will get that extra vote.

That is it.

I think any contract for 8 years is stupid Brooklyn. If anything goes wrong it makes the player untradeable and how many players these days are great for 8 straight? I understand that these contracts are a sign of the times but I don’t believe in them.

I too would like to see Altuve. We don’t have what anyone considers top prospects so it would take a few of them to get it done. That or a whole lot of money n

23. Dino says:

NOLASCO DEAL DONE. WAITING ON LEAGUE APPROVAL

Don’t give up the ship
    Breaking 61 today so that makes Mark a young whippersnapper to me
    Don’t know about you but I am elated Tim McCarver is retiring soon because the great players they were, the only least desirable choice for me to listen to is Joe Morgan

I’m your Captain, I’m your Captain, please return my ship

I’m getting “Closer to my home”

Oops, Siri did that

Refuse to lose, or as Roger might say, Refuse to loose

Don’t worry,be Happy

Puig expanding the strike zone. Looks like Kemp.

27. the truth hurts says:

2B is the black hole in this lineup.

Ellis tries but is .260 at best, and almost 37.

Altuve would be nice.

Why would Houston move such a popular player? They really have no reason to. He’s what’s right with that team.

29. Idaho al says:

Dodgers are looking like they did a month ago. Bad defense and bad decisions on base running. Right now we may win this game yet, but we do not deserve to win it. Puig is expanding the strike zone, but he has adjusted before. Hope he will do it again.

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]