Categorized | Press Releases

Los Angeles also acquires international signing bonus slot from Miami

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired right-handed pitcher Ricky Nolasco from the Miami Marlins in exchange for minor league right-handed pitchers Steven Ames, Josh Wall and Angel Sanchez. The Dodgers also acquired international signing bonus slot No. 96 valued at $197,000 from the Marlins as part of the deal.

Nolasco has gone 81-72 with a 4.44 ERA in 213 games (197 starts) in eight Major League seasons from 2006-2013 with the Marlins. He’s posted double-digit wins and a sub-4.00 ERA in five consecutive seasons since 2008, ranking among the NL leaders in wins (69, 5th), strikeouts (891, 6th), complete games (9, T-7th), shutouts (4, T-9th) and innings pitched (1064.1, 6th) in that span. Nolasco is the Marlins’ all-time wins leader with 81 wins and also holds franchise records with 1,001 strikeouts and 1,225.2 innings pitched in 213 career games with the club. In addition, Nolasco owns the Marlins’ franchise single-game strikeouts record with 16 on Sept. 19, 2009 at Atlanta.

The 30-year-old has made 18 starts for Miami this year, going 5-8 with a 3.85 ERA and 10 quality starts. He last pitched on Wednesday at Atlanta, allowing just two runs on six hits with seven strikeouts in 7.0 innings and picked up the victory in the Marlins’ 6-3 win.

The Corona, CA, native, who attended Rialto High School, was acquired by the Marlins from the Cubs in 2005 after he was originally selected by Chicago in the fourth round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft.

Wall, 26, went 0-1 with an 18.00 ERA in six relief appearances with the Dodgers this season and is 1-1 with a 12.08 ERA in 13 career big league appearances in 2012-13. The Louisiana native was 1-2 with a 5.60 ERA in 25 games this season with Triple-A Albuquerque and has a 40-47 record in 252 games (115 starts) in nine minor league seasons. Wall was originally selected by Los Angeles in the second round of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft.

Ames, 25, has gone 2-2 with a 3.67 ERA in 30 appearances this season with Triple-A Albuquerque. The Washington native has gone 8-10 with a 2.22 ERA in 170 career relief appearances at the minor league level during his five professional seasons. Ames was added to the Dodgers’ 40-man roster on Nov. 20, 2012 and was originally selected by the Dodgers in the 17th round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft.

Sanchez, 23, has gone a combined 2-7 with a 4.67 ERA in 16 games (15 starts) this season with Single-A Great Lakes and Single-A Rancho Cucamonga. The native of the Dominican Republic has a 16-23 career record in 63 career games (54 starts) in three minor league seasons after signing with the Dodgers as a non-drafted free agent on July 12, 2010.

56 Responses to “DODGERS ACQUIRE RICKY NOLASCO FROM MARLINS IN EXCHANGE FOR THREE MINOR LEAGUE PITCHERS”

Goodbye Dave. It’s been a pleasure. Both of your kids pitch in Florida now.

We hardly knew you. Good Luck to Steve.

I’m down with this trade.

• Dave says:

Im very excited about the deal , its the best deal for steve ill give a little inside interesting the hold on the deal was they the marlins wanted steve and dodgers didnt want to trade him i wont mention the other piece , colletti deal , but steve can do his thing , he will be up soon mike redmonds a zag that helps also , gentlemen be good i’ll ck in now and then , badger watch your p’s and q’s and whats up with the 0-4 with puig go blue , but ill say this steve will look forward to the day he can face the dodgers it is what it is ! gotta love baseball ! for steves needs its a good deal i hope it benefits the dodgers ! Be good !

Guys that we could afford to give up.

Along with the international slot this is a very good deal for us

Nice job Ned!

3. Idaho al says:

I am with you Mark. I do not like this trade. We gave up too much for an average starting pitcher. We have that already with Lily and Capuano. Now what is Ned going to do with two extra starting pitchers on the roster. I think Fife is better than average. He only gave one earned run tonight. Terrible defense and base running.

4. AnewBlueDay says:

Kind of like — who ever is pitching for the Dodgers against the Giants and Bum. — not going to be a good outcome.

Why is this? Is he that good?

Crawford, he is supposed to step it up now . . . and he does not. Depressing. Kemp is saying he would have delivered.

I like the deal too. Especially the international slot money. This deal along with the Marmol deal, makes it about $400,000 in additional international slot money going to the Dodgers. Given the limitations on spending for every team, this gives the Dodgers additional flexibility to add international talent. It’s clear that the Dodgers are very serious about re-building the farm system. Maybe one or two of the guys we gave up will turn out to be serviceable MLB pitchers, maybe even better. But the Dodgers acquire a pitcher to help them now, and additional resources to help them later.

And not a bad deal for the Marlins. They get some legitimate prospects, clear over $5,000,000 from their payroll, and move a pitcher they weren’t going re-sign.

Nolasco isn’t great, but probably slots-in well behind Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu.

I’m blacked out of tonight’s game (I hate FOX), but hopefully the Dodgers can mount a late comeback to put a little icing on the cake.

Nolasco is better than Cap and Lilly and none of those prospects are rated very high. We needed this and Jed got it done.

Adios Dave.

Idaho,

Maybe I’m wrong, but I interpret “I’m down with this trade” as meaning that Mark approves of it. I’m sure Mark will correct me if I’m wrong. That’s a lot of uses of the word “I’m”.

Puig looking really bad tonight. I guess he is due for one of these, but that sure looks like Kemp up there. What happened to just making contact with two strikes? These guys all over swing at everything.

Is it as clear to everyone else as it is to me that McCarver does not care for the Dodgers?

9. AnewBlueDay says:

Looking at the Box — Puig zip for 4 with 4 Ks. He officially has the Matt Kemp disease. “I just want to hit the baseball so bad, but it moved.”

10. Dodgerdog says:

Don’t leave Dave, Don’t leave! You are a welcomed voice. I hope this gives a boost to your kids career, allowing him to get to the show much sooner than he might have with the Dodgers.

I hope Nolasco is the piece we are looking for.

• Dave says:

Hank jones northwest area scout that signed steve told me 3 times remember this dave , love the game hate the business , and he always said remember those words it is so true but in this deal its in steves best interest and hopefully for the dodgers too ! This is a very very tough business when you have personal sons in the fights its not easy but the greatest challenge anyone could ask for there kids to challenge themselves with !

11. Dave says:

Now badger you had a little giddy in that adios !!!! respect the game as i no you will !

I was blacked out of the game, so I didn’t see Puig turn human tonight. I’ve seen some really good players strike out 4 times. Did Willie Stargell once strike out 5 times? Hopefully when this kind of stuff happens to Puig he learns from it. I don’t think he’s going to become less aggressive, but I do think that over time he will temper his aggression and learn to lay off garbage. Lest we forget, he’s still only 22.

I only saw two at bats Brooklyn. Wild swings, many out of the strike zone, never made contact. If pitchers know he will swing at those, he won’t be seeing any more strikes. Not his night.

I respect the game Dave. But this game isn’t the same one I grew up with and played til I was 56. But, it’s what we have so, I’ll stay with it.

Goldschmidt with another bomb. dbacks opening a can on the rokees.

13. Watford Dodger says:

Well done Ned. Who would have thought back in ST when we had 8 starting pitchers and we were having to stash some in the Bullpen that we would be trading for Nolasco before the Allstar break.
    Dave it’s a great opportunity for your boy – will get his chance much sooner now and hope he shows us all what he can do. Think it’s a good move for both parties. Now we need another decent reliever and we’ll be set.

14. Quasimodo says:

Yes Dave, please check back in time to time. Glad it also worked out for your son.

15. Quasimodo says:

Mark, I ‘read’ ya. Friends, Mark is saying this trade meets his approval.

Fife with only one earned run deserved better. Bullpen gave up no runs. Fife will likely get sent down only because they can without exposing him, but with an ERA of 2.76 he should be the #5.

17. Quasimodo says:

Good morning men. Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers. The way it appears it might work out to me is, Fife likely to be #5 and Cappy long reliever…..at least for a short while.

So who wins an NBA Championship first – Houston or L.A.?

19. Quasimodo says:

Guess I’m not thinking very hard, kinda forgot about him….no clue.

20. AnewBlueDay says:

Badger, on the NBA question — the Spurs, Pop will put them over the top with his coaching . . .

21. Pete M. says:

Anew & Badger…I gotta wait a little and see what Mitch does!?!? I was a Howard fan but his rep is tarnished… Hold onto your jockstraps Houston…
    Nolasco…Good deal…This aint no RDLR/Webster deal thank God. I still got Lee for trade and Sripling and Reed for future…
    What next guys??? they aint done yet for sure…

22. AnewBlueDay says:

Historical Note:

Back in Spring Training, 2010 — Mark and I were there rooming together for a week or so; out to complex by 9 am till all action was completed for the day.

We would spend the morning at the minor league side (back fields) and one day we got to talk with Josh Wall for about twenty minutes or so.

Josh is a tall drink of water, so to speak. He towered over me (I am 5’10″) and even over Mark who is over 6 feet. Josh Wall is all of 6′ 6″. He was really open and talked freely of his chances and development. Really a nice kid/guy. We were hoping that he would make it with the Dodgers, now he has been used as the ticket to make the Dodgers better (for the near present).

He has been in the Dodgers system since 2005, drafted in the 2nd round, plugging along in the minors; finally appeared in 7 games in 2012 with the Dodgers and 6 games this season.

Best to you Josh, hope you make it with the Marlins and in the major soon. He is 26 years old now.

I will take the will Lakers. Howard left the stage. Shaq nailed it. You can’t win a championship with a guy like him. Mitch will put it together by ’14.

Wall and Ames are not the answer. Kasten and Jed know that. Nobody in our current system is untradeable. It will take a few years to build it.

24. Bobbie17 says:

At 30, the Dodgers should try to tie Nolasco up for 3-4 years. Local guy. Should not be hard. If he is .500, that would be good enough for the 3-4 spot. If only Grienke could do that. Puig will have to learn from failures, which he probably has not had before. He will have to tune everyone out who is giving him advice. That is hard to do, and the more people talk about it, the worse it gets. It will happen. The worse thing is if he tries to change things too much. It will be interesting to watch. I hope he doesn’t change the mental approach because that will screw up everything.

25. AnewBlueDay says:

Bet Puig tries to bunt at least once today. To change things up . . .

Looking back at his approach, it is like he felt he could hit any pitch, that was close. Now pitchers and pitching coaches know just how to tinker with their pitches to him to find his weakness. So, now he is trying to meet this change on him — with “I can hit anything.” But coming up on the short end. This is the major leagues, and these guys work, think, and watch video to find weaknesses in hitters.

26. SpokaneBob says:

I watched the game yesterday and that fiasco in the second was mostly caused by the nature of the game, The giants were not hitting the ball hard but the balls thay hit were just very difficult to field. Punto did a good job of getting to that ball up the middle and even if he exicutes that behind the back flip I don’t think he gets the force. Adrian had no choice but to throw to second and the runner just beat the throw. Of course the biggest factor in yesterdays game was Bumgarner, he had great stuff. Puig needs to see the video of how Romo was pitching to him. Posey was setting up so far outside it was rediculas. If Puig can learn to be as selective as a guy like Joey Votto he will be unstopable. I think he will learn much about that as the year goes on. Lets hope he starts today and we win the series. 2 out of 3 is the plan for the rest of the year.

Fife certainly deserves to stay in the rotation. I don’t know what they do with Cappy and Lilly. I agree that Cappy would make a good long man and should be in the pen.

“If Puig can learn to be as selective as a guy like Joey Votto he will be unstopable.”

I agree with this Bob. From what I saw yesterday, and granted it’s a small sample, Puig’s hole is high and away. Not sure how he missed that rolling slider on his last at bat, but it could be because he was surprised. He saw how far outside Posey was. Everyone saw it. I think they deliberately set him up. NOBODY sets up that far outside. So, they way to get him out is to make him chase high pitches and ef with him now and then. The first rule of hitting is “get a good pitch to hit”. If you aren’t doing that, you can shave 150 points off your average in a hurry.

Nolasco brings an ERA+ of 102 and a WHIP of 1.22 with him from Miami. If he can just keep those numbers with the Dodgers, they will score enough runs for him to win more than he loses. The Dodgers pitching staff just got better and everyone in the league knows it. If Kemp ever gets it together, this team will thump their way to a Division title. They ARE the best team in the West.

Being a local guy is in the Dodgers favor if they attempt to lock Nolasco up past this year. But don’t think it will be easy. Local guy or not, he will be a free agent and looking for the $$$$$. I’m sure he puts himself and his family first, as it should be. Yes, game that it is, baseball is still a business.

Also, I’m not convinced that the Dodgers should lock him up without knowing who else might be available, how many years and dollars Nolasco would want, who in the Dodgers system might be ready in 2014, how he fits in, and so on. Billingsley will likely be back at some point next year. When exactly, and what role he might have (rotation or bullpen) is still to be determined. First order of business is to win now. The Dodgers have resources, so the rest will fall into place.

I’m sure Puig will learn from his failures (not sure “failures” is the appropriate word), and although he probably had very few of them on the field in Cuba, he did have to learn to deal with adversity when he was banned from playing after being caught attempting to escape. I’m sure he can deal with a bad day, even more than one. And although no one should follow all the advice they get, it’s not a good idea just to tune it out. Some advice is bad, but some is also good.

I don’t want Puig to lose his enthusiasm, but I also don’t want him to be reckless. There’s a fine line between the two, but it’s a line nevertheless. But again, Puig is only 22, so there is still some maturation that needs to take place. Maybe some people like to see their players crashing into walls. It’s nice when the player escapes without injury, but not so nice when he gets seriously injured and is lost for an extended period, or his career is adversely affected. We have Matt Kemp as an example, and I’m sure most of you, if not all of you, have heard about Pete Reiser, who had a bad habit of running into outfield walls. And he was considered an enormous talent.

29. Idaho al says:

I believe Puig will learn. He has to lay off the sliders outside the strike zone. I think Lily is on the outside looking in, but he will not be happy and he will say so. They may send Fife down because of Lily. Fife should be the fifth starter. I hope Kemp can come back and be effective.

Anybody see Puig’s first at bat? Is he still swinging wildly?

31. Jason says:

Kershaw needs run support…where is it?

Puig with 2 Ks and ran the Dodgers out of an inning. It hasn’t come from him Jason.

Meanwhile Corbin spinning another gem.

33. Rob says:

This is where not having SVS hurts us. Crawford is struggling at the plate and they bring in Lopez to pitch to him. League is occupying a much needed roster spot.

34. Dodgerdog says:

But Puig dazzles in OF today.

Don’t tell me you don’t like AJ Ellis.

AJ with one of the biggest hits of the year!

36. Quasimodo says:

This day belongs to A.J.

37. Rob says:

Atta boy AJ, take that punk ass Romo!

That’s better, get Clayton more than one run and it’s Game, Set, Match

39. AnewBlueDay says:

Something keeps telling me (from behind) that much of the Giants success against the Dodgers of late (last couple of season) — is that of the Giants coaching staff and advance scouts who size up the Dodgers prior to playing them.

Many times they just make the right pitches, play in the right places on the field, etc.

I do not think the Giants have a better team — they just PREPARE before the series and they do this as well as any team in baseball. So far, it works . . . but now that the Dodgers are getting healthy and have added some pitching and the spirit is up — maybe the Dodgers can rule.

40. Gonzo says:

It seems that Davey took Puig to task for trying to steal 3rd with Hanley up. One of the team leaders need to pull Puig aside and tell him the importance of playing team ball. While his aggressive style is a breath of fresh air it is also a double edge sword.

41. Bball says:

If bochy starts Harvey over kershaw in the all star game he is an idiot. Kershaw is by far the best pitcher in baseball. Don’t Ef it up bochy. We will need these games to be at dodger stadium come October. He’s very openly spoke on how he doesn’t think puig should be in the game. Well if you choose Harvey over kersh just cuz of home field adv. then you are a joke. Kershaw deserves the start and should get it.

I’m sure Puig has been spoken to by more than one player and/or coach. He’s still only 22, so don’t expect instant results. He will continue to play aggressively, but over time he will play smarter, and we’ll see a more controlled aggressiveness. And he is making adjustments. I saw it against the Phillies when they went after him with sliders away, and I saw it today against Romo in the 9th. Puig will probably slide backwards every once in while, but I believe that each step back will be followed my more steps forward. One thing seems for certain. He’s not intimidated.

I hope today was just a bad day at the plate for Uribe, because he looked very much like the flailing Uribe of the past. But, I guess, he’s entitled to regress a little.

43. Quasimodo says:

I just hope when we return to Dodger Stadium we’ll be at .500. Can’t ask for more. I’m glad Corbin’s not in the next 3.

Puig thinks he’s Superman. He’s close, but he isn’t bulletproof.

Watched the snakes put it on Colorado again. They got it going on – 5 in a row and they are looking forward to entertaining the Dodgers. At least we don’t have to face Corbin.

Was hoping for a shot at first in this series. It will have to wait.

45. AnewBlueDay says:

Kershaw has about 15 and at the most 16 starts left in the season.

He has to win 12 of them to make it to 20.

Can he do it?

Badger,

The answer is yes. I believe that sort of thing has been done before. Of course, to do it he’ll need run support. So if the offense picks up big in the second half Kershaw could win a lot of games.

But for now, let’s start with at least two of three in Arizona. Of course, I wouldn’t complain if we won 3 of 3.

Roger,

Your post was just under Badger’s, and these old eyes focused on the wrong name. Sorry about that. But yes, Kershaw can do it, as I explained just above.

I really don’t care anymore how many Dodgers make the All Star team. It’s just a parade of egos for two days. It’s a four day break in the schedule and I would just as soon they have the time off.

We still need the lead-off man I was calling for at the beginning of the season. If he could be a second baseman it would serve two purposes. I do like Mark Ellis, but he is sinking even further than I predicted he would. He is no longer a starter, but would make excellent relief.

Crawford? Can he get it back? I think he can, but he doesn’t look right.

Kemp? Can he get it back? I sure hope so.

Uribe?

If Kershaw only pitches one All Star inning, will he come back and start the series opener against the Natnals? I assume he will.

1. [...] DODGERS ACQUIRE RICKY NOLASCO FROM MARLINS IN EXCHANGE FOR THREE MINOR LEAGUE PITCHERS Los Angeles also acquires international signing bonus slot from Miami LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired right-handed pitcher Ricky Nolasco from the Miami Marlins in exchange for minor league right-handed pitchers Steven Ames, Josh Wall and Angel Sanchez. The Dodgers also acquired international signing bonus slot No. 96 valued at $197,000 from [...]… [...]

2. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]