Andre Ethier’s Blast Sinks Nats

When Bryce Harper  slid into 3B head first I yelled “He’s out!” while everyone around me was yelling “he’s safe.”  The Nats replay every good play on their marvelous scoreboard (best I have ever seen), so I said “If he’s safe, they will replay it.“  No replay – I just said “Scoreboard!“  My wife said he did it again when I was on a beer run, but I didn’t see it.

By the way, Redd’s Apple Ale is the most refreshing beverage I have ever drank and it was especially good in the 95 degree sweltering temperatures.  That may have been the hottest game I have ever attended.  Nationals Stadium is a great venue and the fans were well-behaved. It was playoff atmosphere baseball.   I made sure I stayed properly hydrated and my clothes probably weighed 15 pounds more when I left.  I have to confess that if Greinke was not pitching tonight, we might skip the game, but we will be there, sweat and all.

Last night’s game was awesome!  Nalosco had great stuff, but bad control.  Strasburg had great stuff, but made some bad pitches, especially the one to Hanley – that ball got out of the park with a quickness.  Andre Ethier’s blast in the 9th gives me reason to call him Mr. Clutch for the day, because I have called him Mr. Softee in the past.   The Dodgers need Andre if they are going to keep winning.  Let’s hope he can keep it up.  He certainly is due.  If he can hit 15 to 20 HR the second half, the Dodgers will be fine.

This is a different Andre Ethier – he has matured and is not the sulker he once was.  I have high hopes he will have a great second half.  Matt Kemp looked good in BP and is set to play on Sunday, which is supposed to be a little cooler.  I believe that Kemp and Ethier are the keys to the second half of the Dodgers season.   They have to be because Puig and Ramirez can’t keep up their hot pace.   Both will have slumps – in fact, Puig is in the midst of his first one.  Gonzo will be there every day, and Uribe still looks solid, but Kemp and Ethier have to deliver for the Dodgers to keep winning.

When you watch a game in person, you realize the quiet leadership of Adrian Gonzalez.  All of the infielders look to him and listen in the huddles.  He is a pros’ pro.   If you want to learn how to play 1B, just watch him.

Carl Crawford looks awful at bat and in the field and his arm is a joke.  Remember, what I predicted about him?  He looked good in the beginning but his body is shot.  He’s at .268 right now and I don’t think he can be counted on for anything.   He looks like he’s 45 years-old.

The bullpen wasn’t about any bull last night and Kenley Jansen was decisive and dominant as he closed out the game.  It was an inspiring win for the boys in blue.  I have about 350 great photos, but my card reader is broke – Hopefully, I’ll get another one today and post some shots tomorrow.

Dodger Notes:

• 1.5 games behind – close, but no cigar.  Keep on pushing.
  • The Dodgers have two wasted roster spots – League and Crawford!
  • The lawsuit against Puig smells, but I have no opinion right now until I get more info.  Human traffickers aren’t people you want to mess with.  I have a friend who goes into foreign countries and rescues women in sex-trafficking.
  • Steve Cohen being investigated by the SEC – let’s hope Guggs and Company are immune to that.
  • At .306, Corey Seager has solved A Level pitching – he needs to go to AA Chattanooga very soon.
  • Signing Isao O’Jimi as a the Head Scout for Japan is a big deal.  The Dodgers had a good presence there and it just got a lot better!
  • AJ Ellis will be the Dodgers manager someday!
  • We are sitting in Section 131, Row V, Seats 3 and 4 tonight.
  • Tony Jackson will be re-surfacing soon with a new Dodger Blog – Details to come!

a-sizzlin-summer

43 Responses to “Andre Ethier’s Blast Sinks Nats”

1. AnewBlueDay says:

Now — it is the Puig wait and watch part of the season. Is he really for real, or just a nice several weeks after coming to the majors?

Last 10 games he is hitting .244 with zero HRs, and zero RBIs. And in 41 ABs, 5 runs scored. Heck, Gordon can do that. Hairston can do that. Shu can do that. Yes, I know, Puig excited the fans and the announcers, but . . .

In fact, we are 13 games played in July and his only HR was in the first game in July.

At first, I thought, well he has injured himself several times, had to come out for an inning or so, miss a start, but then was used in reserved role the next game.

AND if that is how he plays the outfield, running into wall for balls, all season, he will be banged up from time to time or most of the time.

I marvel at his arm, throwing to third base to gun down runners. Last night he tried twice (that I saw) and just missed. But I believe both times, runners advanced on him, or at least the second throw. Now, if he had nailed the runners, great, but in those close games, one scored.

Now it is time for Puig to step up and start, “knock the cover off the ball.” (from The Natural . . . )

Here: http://movieclips.com/9FH5-the-natural-movie-knock-the-cover-off-the-ball/

2. Anonymous says:

Hope you had a happy anniversary Mark. Mine was on the 18th (#43), my wife thought it was great of your wife to take you to the games this weekend.

Great game, we do need replay for close plays like that. How can the ump watch both the runner touching the bag and a tag being made 6 feet away at the same time?

3. SpokaneBob says:

Sorry that was me.

I have a question for Badger and anyone else who grew up in L A in the late fifties. In the summer of 1958 my elementary school took part in a city wide softball tournament. My school, Buchanan Elementary hosted a couple of the first regional rounds and as we advanced we were bused to other schools until we were defeated by a very good inner city team. After the tourney was completed, all the participants were bussed to the Coliseum to see the Dodgers play a day game against the Cubs. As this was the first year the Dodgers were in Los Angeles, it was the first big league game for many of us. Big D pitched and hit a homer, Duke hit one over the 405 sign in right field and the Dodgers won 8 to 3.

Playing in that tournament and experiencing the thrill of winning some very close and exciting games as well as the disappointment of being eliminated caused me to love the game of Baseball for the rest of my life. Experiencing the Dodger game made me a Dodger fan for life. Did any of you take part in that program? I don’t know if it was just a one year thing or if it went on past ’58 because I started junior high the next year.

I bring this up because I recently learned that they no longer play softball in elementary school. Apparently the bat could be used as a weapon and heaven forbid someone might get hurt playing the game. I find this to be very sad as it was one of the best experiences of my life. I am sure there are legal issues and other considerations used to justify this, But to me it is just part of the wussification of our society.

4. Bball says:

I don’t like complaining after a win but I’m with you guys puig has me a little worried. He needs to adjust. I no it was strasburg but he swing at strike three right down the middle. 3 weeks ago that wouldn’t happen. The lawsuit may have an affect on his mind. Who knows. I still wouldn’t do him for Stanton though. I also read that fans are getting annoyed with him posting so many pics of experiences he’s having. People have to remember he’s only 22 and I don’t no much about his upbringing but he’s young with money and he’s in the good old US of A. I no I’d be living it up too. And yes mark reds apple ale does hit the spot. You should also try langerhans twisted tea. Have fun and happy anniversary.

I just did the calculation. If Ethier hits HR’s at what would be a 30 HR clip for 162 games, then he’ll hit 12 for the remainder of the season (67 games). I’ll be satisfied with that, especially if the HR’s are accompanied by consistent hitting, including lots of extra base hits.

I think it’s a little early to be calling Crawford’s spot on the roster wasted. No doubt his arm is wanting, and probably will always be. But I’m not convinced that is the case with the rest of his game. And I don’t know that “his body is shot.” He had TJ surgery on his elbow last year, and he’s probably not even fully recovered from that. He won’t have a great arm, but I suspect his throwing will be better next year. Throwing in the hamstring pull and the recent tightness in his back brings people to jump to the conclusion that everything is related. Well, I doubt it. Maybe he’s breaking down, and his recent injuries are a harbinger of things to come, or maybe, like many injuries, they’re a harbinger of nothing. Only time will tell. I just wouldn’t jump to conclusions based on very little, if any, evidence.

And just a little reminder. Lots of people jumped to conclusions about the Dodgers prior to their current good run. And now, healthier than they were, they look completely different. As I’ve said before, you’re never as good as you look when you’re at your best, and never as bad as you look when you’re at your worst. That goes for individuals and teams.

I’m not even convinced that League isn’t salvageable. Actually I recall that he didn’t look too bad in his last outing. I’m not suggesting that he be returned to closing, but he still might be useful in some capacity. He’s just got to get that split finger to sink instead of hang over the heart of the plate. But we also have Carlos Marmol looking to salvage his career, and there may not be room for both, especially given the recent good outings of Dominguez and Withrow, and Mattingly’s willingness to use them in challenging roles. And I’m fully convinced there isn’t room for Lilly, and might not be for Capuano either, and definitely not both. Let’s see what the Dodgers do between now and July 31st, and we might have some answers. One thing I don’t doubt, and that’s that the Dodgers will be willing to eat some contracts if it’s the difference between winning and losing.

I remember what you said about Crawford Mark. Among other insults you said he was fat. Remember what I said? He is in great shape, he is overpaid and he belongs in the two hole. Bummer about the hamstring. He was doing great until that misfortune.

Crawford doesn’t need a great arm to play left. He needs a quick accurate release. And by accurate I mean get the ball to your cutoff man.

I am “concerned” about Puig. Is his head in the game or up his ass? Not sure about the accusations but wouldn’t doubt if at least some of it is true. Like was mentioned, he hasn’t looked like Calico Joe of late.

7. Pete M. says:

SpokaneBob – Born and raised SoCal..Not familar with softball program as we were just starting quite a little lg. network in the the beach cities…You know back in the day you could go to any park or grade school. No gates – no locks…A kid could get a game of over the line with just a few phones calls and we were off. Heck they even left the bases in place…’wussification of our society.’??? I wouldn’t label it as that, but more a society that will sue you in a NY minute and not even think about it… I’ve always been in favor of getting rid of frivilous lawsuits, but damn I don’t think I’ll ever see it happen in my lifetime.

8. Pete M. says:

Thanks badger… I still have hope for CC… I stated at the begiining of the year he was going to be a surprise and a fan favorite and that he was until the hammy. It’s Kemp I’m worried about in 2013…

Yeah Bob, I second what Pete just said. I lived in Canoga Park at that time, and we didn’t play softball. In fact, I didn’t play any softball until I was in my 20′s. I was too busy playing baseball. As far as I knew, only the girls were playing softball. I don’t mean that as an insult, that’s just the way it was where I lived.

10. Quasimodo says:

Mark, its very obvious you had a great time at the game. Cheers for Dodgers rewarding you and your wife with a win. That made her gift extra special. Hope its a gift that keeps on giving for the rest of your stay in our Nation’s Capital.

Are the Dodgers going to leave Seager where he is?

12. jerry says:

here is a story for you..when i was about 14 i am now 68 , the dodger move to calif…carl Erskine move 3 house from me in the city of lakewood..then when he retired ed rowbuck moved in the same house,, they only rented it..but i got to go to games with them…played with the two boys erskine , one was righted and the other was left.
    not sure if that is how the name is spelled..but thought you might want to here my story

Very cool jerry.

When I moved to California from Missouri Alfalfa lived down the street. I didn’t play catch with him.

13. Reggie says:

Mark, CC was noticeably heavier when he was with Boston, even if some Badger doesn’t want to admit it. He doesn’t want to admit his below .270 BA or that he looks really bad right now. My eyes don’t deceive me. I like the fact that you calll it like it is.

14. DodgerDude says:

Fat Carl is riding the pine tonight. He will probably get a splinter in his fat ass.

Here we go again. Haters lie in the weeds when he is going good. They’re back.

And Matt Kemp is having a bad year because of the weight he LOST.

17. DodgerDude says:

Matt Kemp is having a bad season because it takes time to recover from shoulder surgery, not because of what you said. He will be back to normal. Hopefully tomorrow!

18. Reggie says:

No hater. Not delusional either

19. Quasimodo says:

Well I just won a $134 ticket playing a FR for $75K tourney tomorrow. probably will save the ticket to watch Kershaw pitch.

20. Quasimodo says:

I’m very hopeful you’re right with Kemp getting back to his old self. Sadly there is a chance he’ll never regain his swing. There’s examples on both ends of recovery. But it is a fact the threat exists.

21. T.O.Dave says:

As Mark sweats out the game, I’ll be busy working on my sweatlodge. I don’t post much mostly because of all the work building what I think will be truly a world class sweatlodge. Hopefully Badger and others can join me when it’s done to discuss some psychelic trades such as Puig for Stanton. Maybe Mark will even come around and provide a killer filtration system for growing top herb and the world’s best bong water. Enjoy the game everyone!

22. Bobbie17 says:

The team has undertaken an attitude change, prompted by Puig. In the long run, the different use of the bullpen will make the biggest difference. League and Bellasario, an out at a time. That’s it. I’m not sure what caused the sudden change of approach, but it has worked. Paco will be a star. I hope it is with the Dodgers.

DodgerDude,

You apparently don’t read my posts. Anyone who has read them knows that I have referenced Kemp’s shoulder surgery countless times. My post above was my way of supporting Badger’s “Hater’s lie in the weeds” post. I was being sarcastic. My comment was not meant to be taken literally. But I understand. It’s not easy living in the weeds.

Puig is trying to kill the ball. Looks frustrated, and probably trying to hard. Needs to calm down and just make contact.

25. AnewBlueDay says:

Just arrived home with Puig’s out in the 3rd. So the only hit after for the Dodgers was by Greinke. Interesting.

When does Puig go down for some more seasoning? He is a mess at the plate right now. But so if Crawford, so is Kemp, so is Federowicz, so is Cruz – wait, he is a Yankee now.

26. AnewBlueDay says:

OK – move Greinke to the second spot in the otder, and Puig to the 9th slot.

He looks so lost and over matches — Cruz gets better foul balls.

27. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark – wife and I celebrated our Anniv. the 16th.

Back in 1977 when we were married, we went to New Mexico for a week — and saw a double hitter with the Dukes in Albq. on the roster that season were:

Pedro Guerrero
    Rafael Landestoy
    Ron Washington
    Terry Collins
    Joe Simpson
    Glenn Burke
    John Balaz
    Henry Cruz
    John Hale
    Kevin Pasley
    Danny Walton

All of whom played in the majors at some point.

Anyone seen Yasiel Puig?

It was so “easy” for the first 100 at bats. Now, it would appear the league has caught up to him. Who talks to this kid when he is strugglihn? Let the game come back to you kid. You won’t hit .400, but .300 the rest of the way could be managed – if you focus on your job during the day and get some sleep at night.

I still believe in our injured players. I don’t that is being delusional. It’s being hopeful. Crawford was in great shape to begin the year. He was hitting very well, then came the hammy. Maybe the guys in the weeds just lie there until the team, and it’s stars, stumble, then they get vocal. I don’t hate Crawford because some dumb GM overpaid him. Who wouldn’t sign that contract? Let’s just accept him for the player he is, and put him in a position to succeed – in the two hole behind a speedy .380 OBP guy.

I think we now know why the Dodgers sent Puig down to begin the season. They knew, and we now know, he’s not a finished product. Talent is definitely there, and maybe he can come out of this relatively quickly. Looks to me as if he’s pressing, and trying to mash everything. For me the solution is the same as it often is, that is, look to hit the ball through the middle, instead of trying to murder the ball. I have to believe that Puig is being talked to, and in time I think Puig will get it, but exactly when is anyone’s guess.

30. AnewBlueDay says:

I do not do my Chemo at the VA until Monday morning — BUT AT THE TOP OF THE 9TH INNING NOW — I FEEL I COULD USE A TREATMENT !!!!!

These kind of games are more draining than exciting.

If at the game — there is no place to hide, and really no place to celebrate, or you could get killed.

31. AnewBlueDay says:

Afraid the magic of Puig is out to lunch for awhile. He really looks terrible.

Soriano make him look like a rookie. Oh, he is a rookie.

Donnie — sit this kid for a game or two. Bring in Kemp, Ethier, and Crawford tomorrow.

32. Jimbo says:

I have to say the pitching staff has done their job tonight. Puig is definitely is in his first slump and looks pull happy. Early on he would have crushed those sliders from Soriano to right field.

33. Quasimodo says:

I think we all want HanRam as happy as can be, and that’s playing SS.

34. Bball says:

Note to the rest of baseball. The dodgers are bad ass. Another great win. He’ll ya.

35. Rob says:

Mark is our secret weapon is Washington! Great pitching and late hitting, great win!!

Jimbo, you hit it on the nose. Looks like Puig is trying to do too much, is pressing, and as Badger pointed out, not letting the game come back to him. If Kemp comes back tomorrow, then maybe Puig gets a day or more off, and then comes back with a plan, which includes, among other things, not trying to destroy and pull every pitch he sees, and being more selective.

Quas, I don’t think Hanley’s play has anything to do with where he’s playing. After leading the league at .342 in 2009 he followed that up by hitting .300 in 2010. After the 2011 season he had shoulder surgery (similar I believe to what Kemp and Gonzalez had), which leads me to believe that his sub-par 2011 was more about the shoulder than anything else. Post surgery he wasn’t off to a good start with the Marlin’s last year, much like Kemp has struggled in this, his post surgical year. Hanley has already said he feels much better this year, much like he did prior to his surgery. I think Hanley’s resurgence has more to do with returning health than anything else. And being away from the Marlins and with the contending Dodgers hasn’t hurt. Just my opinion.

If this keeps up, Mark will be obligated to fly up to Toronto. Maybe he should just travel with the Dodgers the rest of the season.

38. jerry says:

i think that mark mcgwire did some thing to puig ..either and kemp…that had power before MARK change things.what else could it be..

39. AnewBlueDay says:

Enough of those kind of games last night. About used the entire pitching staff.

Lyons said after the game, he thought that Puig might sit Sunday out.

Kershaw has a tough assignment today. He is under my glass . . .

1. he has to pitch a shutout

2. he has to go at least 2 for 3 at the plate

Early games in the day from the east are great when you win — then watch the rest of the league worry through their games later.

Mark, you have our permission to follow the team.

40. Voldomer says:

Did anyone else succumb to the temptation to watch the Nationals broadcast for this series? LA has to make a change for TV when Vin stays home. How about pairing Kevin Kennedy with Lyons?

Bob Carpenter is solid for the Nats, and F. P. Santangelo is pretty good too.

1. [...] on July 20, 2013 by Dugout Online Editor Andre Ethier’s Blast Sinks Nats – ladodgertalk.com 07/20/2013 When Bryce Harper  slid into 3B head first I yelled [...]

2. [...] Andre Ethier’s Blast Sinks Nats When Bryce Harper  slid into 3B head first I yelled “He’s out!” while everyone around me was yelling “he’s safe.”  The Nats replay every good play on their marvelous scoreboard (best I have ever seen), so I said “If he’s safe, they will replay it.“  No replay – I just said “Scoreboard!“  My wife said [...]… [...]