Why Can’t Anybody But Puig Hit?

That is a valid question.  I am seeing the same Yasiel Puig I saw this spring.  No difference, although I don’t expect him to keep up this pace.  It would be nice, but it won’t happen.  So the question is: why can’t other Dodgers accidentally get a few Home Runs from someone not named Puig?  I can’t come up with anything except C-H-O-K-E.

Someone else needs to step up because he can’t do this all season… can he?

This team is bereft of clutch hitters – Period!  It was a problem the last few seasons, it was a problem this Spring, it was a problem in April, it was a problem in May and it’s still a problem… probably worse than ever.

The Big Dodger in the Sky hates them and the medical staff and continues to crap on them.  Something just ain’t right and I can’t put my finger on it.

Maybe it is just Karma!  This is not the Dodger Way!

35 Responses to “Why Can’t Anybody But Puig Hit?”

Why Can’t Anybody But Puig Hit?

Gonzalez can. Crawford can. Kemp can. Ramirez can. AJ Ellis can. Punto can. Ethier can.

Other than that, this looks like a team of back-ups. Which, they are actually.

“Something just ain’t right and I can’t put my finger on it.”

I can. And have. So have many other people in here. It’s conditioning. It just HAS to be conditioning. These guys are not that old. I played competitive baseball until I was 56 and never pulled a hammy. Henry Aaron played in 3300 games. Cal Ripken played in 3300 in a row. (yeah, I know. It’s called hypberbole)

The somethin’ that ain’t right is how much time these guys put into doing those things that will keep them on the field for 150 games EVERY year. Maybe, once that contract is signed, motivation to do the hard stuff just goes right out the window.

f the Players Union and all that guaranteed money. That’s just bullsh*t and EVERYONE outside of baseball knows it. but…. maybe that’s a different topic for a different day………

• Roger Dodger says:

Badger, when you name: Aaron, Ripken, & Badger — as playing just about a full career without going down for hammy’s — those were players in the “olden” days.

Days no longer . . . biology changes with time.

2. Quasimodo says:

Yeah Mark, seems like a stint on the DL is more likely than a HR. Do we have any ex-PED users on our team? When watching other teams and seeing them hit it makes me wonder ‘why isn’t that happening with Dodgers?’ I know know its wrong of me to come up with conclusions so negative about about a group of guys wearing the uniform I’ve always cheered for, but something’s behind this continual bummer. As far as the DL goes, its clear the medical trainers are mules pretending to be racehorses. They’ve sold things that look good on paper but don’t pan out on the field. Its pretty bad when ya watch the ones you’ve always been able to count on….as you said….choke.

3. Quasimodo says:

I pulled a ‘hammy’ the day before yesterday. My 1st! And it certainly relates to conditioning. Rehabbing and exercising my left leg (fallowing a stroke) damaged my right foot, so now I pulled a hammy in my braceless left leg while wearing a special boot on my right foot. At least I think its a hammy I pulled. It feels better this morning to some degree so rightly of wrongly I’m calling it a hammy.

• Roger Dodger says:

Q. – I have said the same thing here about watching other teams hitters, just walking up to the plate — and bang, hard drives, home runs, balls off the wall — and so many of the Dodger hitters look like amateurs just standing up there.

Puig looks like he is there to hit the first ball in a zone he can handle. He is not looking for a walk. He came to play.

Think he will be the N.L. Player of the Week?

4. Quasimodo says:

Roger, its hands down (I’m not sure I understand my own statement there) that he owns N.L. player of the week. And steamrolling to ROTY, MVP and MPTW (Most Pleasurable To Watch)

Has anyone else ever been intentionally walked in his 19th big league at bat??

The Hardy deal sounds blah. Besides, as we all discussed in the spring, will Hanley be happy being sent to 3b? I’d rather get something more valuable than Hardy, if we have to pay a bunch of Ethier’s contract too.

Now that we’ve at least split the series, can we get 1 more with Fife and Magill??

6. Bobbie17 says:

PED’s are gone. Conditioning techniques will have to change. Pitching and hitting mechanics will have to change. I expect leaner, more agile players, not the muscle bound, weight lifting type we have today. And youth, youth, youth. A 32 year old will be washed up. Baseball will be a group of 22-32 year olds. It will take 10-15 years for this to play out, but it will. Back to the good old days. I’m too old at this point, but I can’t wait. The players union might not like it, though. Oh well.

7. Pete M. says:

I’m torn on the Hardy proposition. I’m leaning towards an eye on 2B for the future. Hope that Seager/Valentin/Sweeney will fill the left side sometime in the near future…
    If and when Dre goes I hope Alex Castellanos gets the nod. If anything to see how he does and showcase as a trade prospect…

8. the truth hurts says:

Here we are again. A 2 game win streak….

What will the boys do tonight?

Tie our longest win streak of the season that came the first weekend in April?

Miracles happen everyday.

9. Mark Sweeney says:

I have a funny feeling that Puig as possibly provided a miracle cure for what ails Rhianna. Rhianna was all got up in “being the Dodgers Player to watch”, now he has been relegated to the “the Dodgers player displayed on a milk carton”. I’ve got to believe Rhianna will have a fresh approach and maybe have his ears opened as big as his eyes have been watching the real “Dodgers player to watch”. You’ll see, it’s not been his shoulder it’s been his head that was hindering him.

Puig — might change the entire lineup of this team.

Seems he has to play. Right field for coverage concerns and his arm.

Sooo who is left for Left and Center??? Ethier, Crawford, Kemp, Van Slyke, Schumaker in the majors — and in the minors: Tony Gwyunn, Alex Castellanos, and Pederson.

Say that the serious ones to consider: Ethier, Crawford, Kemp, Van Slyke.

One of those guys have to go. The others are backup, taxi to minors and back for fill in.

Or, sit Ethier and have him complain.

Van Slyke can be a nice 4th outfielder with some playing time, and spell at 1B, and key pinch hitter.

This decision is what makes or breaks a GM. He needs to do something.

Wild card: not sure just where Matt Kemp’s head is and his physical abilities are. If he is not ready to play in a week or two — then the team carries him but cannot take his play seriously. Maybe he will be back like we expect him to play after the All Star Game.

All of this makes my head hurt.

“All of this makes my head hurt.”

I heard that. The make-up of this team looks like a GM threw darts.

My guess is Ethier goes somewhere he can play everyday cuz that ain’t gonna happen here unless something goes wrong. I don’t take him over either Kemp or Crawford so, the second half outfield hopefully consists of Crawford, Kemp and Puig.

As for the 4th, Roger’s right in my opinion – it’s SVS as he can spell Gonzalez and in the dead of summer get plenty of playing time.

Other back-ups? Pull names out of hat. They are all the same guy.

“it’s not been his shoulder it’s been his head that was hindering him.”

I can’t figure out how people come up with such nonsense. Effort has never been a Kemp problem. He works hard, and plays hard. No attitude problem whatsoever, except the one imagined by fans who can’t understand that even superstars cannot perform with physical limitations. Kemp’s injury was the result of playing too hard. He didn’t have to slam into that wall in Colorado, and he didn’t have to continue playing in pain after he did. He and the medical staff can be blamed for acting stupidly, but in no way were their any attitude problems involved.

I don’t know exactly what Kemp did over the winter, but I do know that he came into camp having lost a lot of weight, and looking very trim. Clearly his shoulder needed more time, and he should probably have had the surgery last year in August or September. He was likely looking to enhance his speed and avoid further hamstring problems. Maybe his workout program needs to be modified, but anyone that thinks it’s the Rihanna syndrome needs to have their head examined. We haven’t seen the real Matt Kemp since the injury bug destroyed what promised to be a truly great season last year, following up his MVP caliber 2011 season. With Kemp it’s all physical, although I’m sure his struggles are a mental burden to carry. With some fans, however, it has to do with the perfect vacuum between their ears.

Puig looks good, but as Mark says, he won’t keep up this pace all year. But if he’s really good, there’s no reason to believe he won’t continue to contribute mightily. If Kemp begins to pick it up after he returns, Hanley manages to actually stay in the lineup for an extended period of time, Crawford does the same, and A-Gon keeps on hitting, the Dodgers offense could be something to reckon with. But it can’t be all Puig. It’s quite obvious that even with him in the lineup the Dodgers are still having problems scoring. I also suspect that if Crawford manages to stay in the lineup, that Puig will move up in the lineup. Maybe in the 2-hole, or a bit lower.

By the way, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Zach Lee up at some point. He’s pitching very well at Chattanooga. Maybe he’s not an ace, but he also might be very good.

12. Mark Sweeney says:

Wrong! It’s between his ears, sorry to tell ya. He sort of has a history. A sore shoulder doesn’t make you take strikes down the middle and swing at garbage later in the count. Just watch a little more intently, evidence is there.

I believe it could be he is pressing.

He is hurt, no question about that but he does tend to look at strike one down the middle and swing at pitches out of the strike zone.

It sure as hell isn’t lack of effort.

Maybe some time off is just what he needs.

13. the truth hurts says:

Rihanna needs to take the panties off

Hopefully Fife/Magill can split the next 2, and we win 3-4 at least from a very good team

Badger said: The make-up of this team looks like a GM threw darts.

You mean like:

Ned builds his team like Johnny builds cars . . .

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly what is that history?

Sore shoulder? Do you know anything? When they went in to do the repair they found extensive labrum damage, well beyond what they thought they would find. Why do you think his weight lifting program was modified?

Injuries, not anything wrong between Matt Kemp’s ears is what curtailed what promised to be a great year last year.

But what sense is there is trying to talk sense to people who measure a player only by performance on the field, no matter what the circumstances of their struggles? Matt Kemp’s lack of production has nothing to do with his mental state, his relationships, etc., etc., etc. He’s simply struggling because for the time being due to physical limitations that adversely affect his performance.

Why he swings at pitches out of the strike zone is a question I can’t answer. Why he can’t hit a strike on the screws is another question I have. Obviously his body is out of whack. As you pointed out, he looks thin. For now, he can’t seem to square a ball up and he is undisciplined. When he was in shape, he didn’t need all of it to hit it 375′. Now he does, and he can’t seem to do it.

He needs some time off to heal. He has had surgery that those who have had it say takes a year in which to fully recover. He needs that time. Then he needs to go back to square one and start finding the sweet spot with only strikes. He learned a few years ago he cannot hit a breaking ball 6″ outside and below his knees. He needs to re-learn that.

I trust he will be fine for the second half of this season.

In the mean time, this remains an offensively challenged ball club.

17. jerry says:

what if kemp never get back to what he was..do you sit him .trade him .or keep him as a back up..

18. Dave says:

Mark i saw something tonight ive never seen, but its that something in the air thing , topes in new orleans, aguasviva walks a guy its a 2 to 2 ballgame bottom of 8th, 1 out, steve comes in gets a 2-2 count jams a guy ball goes to left field half way out 15 feet from the line , mind you guy on first has good angle hes runnin hard, gwynn jr gets to the ball when it cks strait up, tony bobbles it ball kicks of 12 ft or so to gwynns left and the runner scores from first the jam bloopper wasnt that high , gwynn makes a throw home, runner beats him by a half step with good throw steve ks the next 2 batters we dont score in the ninth and loose, loss to agusviva on a walk i had to look at the video 3 times and im thinkin how in gods name did a guy score from 1st on a jam bloopper with a shallow ball its whats in the air !!!! steve even called me and said this is half of my outings this year its just plain crazy. My msg is what do you learn from this he and others have had more strange bad luck in 2 months than theyve felt in 4 yrs i still look at that play like it was a optical illusion crazy really ! so how do you account for it ? respect the game it will humble you to the core and then some ! So have at it mark your guess is good as mine i havent seen anything like that since little league , and billy hamilton was not running the bases everything happened fast very strange to say the least !

19. Dave says:

You just haft to grind and make your brakes in this game thats just how it works theres no magic wand or ferry dust or money gonna fix anything respect this kickass game called baseball cause the best of the best had some good runs but it always finds a way to keep you honest and challenged period ! RESPECT THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!! to find ones self in consistency !!!!!!

Dammit.

FIfe and the pen pitched well. Well enough to win. Puig with 2 hits. Ramirez gets one. (that’s a good sign) and Schu with 3. Ethier at .229. Have to admit, never thought I would see that. Fedx about to go under .200 and Cruz? Lost cause.

Baseball is a strange and humbling game Dave. Streaks like this happen. 162 games in the bigs. There are seasons within the season. It all works out in the end. The team with a good roster who is playing well at the end, usually wins it.

Just read this… it’s from BR, so, some might not buy it. It’s about our third round pick 3B Brandon Dixon:

“Dixon could emerge as a more immediate solution at the hot corner than last year’s first-round pick, Corey Seager.”

Interesting comment. I figure Seager was the guy maybe by 2016. Dixon is older. Could these guys both be ready at the same time? Yeah, they could. In fact, Dixon might be ready earlier. That would be a nice problem to have.

22. Idaho al says:

I agree. Fife pitched well enough to win. He is starting to look like the 4th or fifth starter. I just hope Magill has a good day today. He has the stuff, but no control. If he finds his control Fife and Magill could be the 4th and 5 starters.

I agree you have to trade Either. Crawford, Kemp, and Puig in the outfield. Kemp and Ellis are coming of the DL this week. Changes are coming.

Mark, to respond to you question above . . .

Basically, NO.

Ethier in a trade now, might get a bag of practice balls, and a fungo bat. But that is about it.

Either these guys will not listen to coaching — or coaching has so screwed them up, they need a new location to play in.

It would be nice if Ethier would put together a modest hitting streak to up his value. We still have some time before something NEEDS to be done, but it’s coming. How about a 10 game hit streak and an OPS bounce before we trade him?

This team REALLY needs all three of Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez. Ethier NOW, Kemp and Ramirez then.

Note to Yasiel Puig and every baseball player on the planet…. DO NOT dive head first into first base. As a former player, coach and UMPIRE, I can tell you from experience that this is a really bad idea. It does not get you there any quicker, is extremely hazardous and it makes it more difficult on the umpire to make the call. When it happened to me when umping, I would tell both player and coach not to do it and why. You are trained as an ump to look at the bag and wait to hear the pops. There will be two of them of course… foot on bag, ball in glove. If that doesn’t happen, there will be some hesitation by the ump. It’s not easy, when you are expecting one thing, to see another and decide exactly when that hand hit the bag. We have already seen how bad the umps are doing this year, don’t make it that much harder on them. And, of course, there is the possibility of injury (Dee Gordon last year) …… then Yassy makes it even more interesting with that face plant he landed. Yoiks.

Don’t do that again. Ever.

Realistic time. The Dodgers selected 40 players in the 2013 draft.

OK, without knowing a thing about any of them . . .

1st, take Lilly, League, Howell, Guerrier, and Fife — then Hernandez (C), Cruz, Wllis, Hairston, Uribe Ethier and let them walk –

2nd, replace them all with 5 pitchers and 6 fielders from the new draftees, and give them a Dodger uniform and send them out there.

Belief — none of the 10 new draftees could do any worse that those 10 new players.

Actually Roger, after this year a lot of those players on the Dodgers that you think should walk, will be walking after the end of this season. I believe all of them (at least most of them) are in the final year of their contracts. There will be some freed up money after this year that will clean out some of the trash, and perhaps help bring in some new blood to revitalize this team.

Some of that money should probably be invested in determining what, if anything, needs to be done about modifying current medical and training practices. Kemp’s shoulder injury last year couldn’t be helped, but just too many hamstrings. Maybe even the shoulder injury could have been avoided by learning to temper enthusiasm with restraint, if that’s possible. And hopefully the Dodgers have learned to avoid the temptation to bring back players too early. I’ve always believed that a healthy replacement is preferable to a superstar playing below their abilities because they’re hurt.

27. Dave says:

Agree badger, it being bad luck hast to cycle to some other team , just amazing how crazy some of the things in bad consistency ive seen just unreal. Very odd the volume of bad breaks condensed in such a short window be interesting to see statistics on it, gotta be of the charts , but your right badger 7 out and were still in it heck the standings can change drastically in 2 weeks thats just how it works !

28. Alohondro says:

Where is Ethier today?

29. Link exchange is nothing else except it is just placing the other person’s weblog link on
    your page at appropriate place and other person will also
    do similar in favor of you.

1. [...] Yasiel Puig had a hand in things. View full post on Yahoo! Sports – MLB more… Why Can’t Anybody But Puig Hit? – ladodgertalk.com 06/08/2013 That is a valid question.  I am seeing the same Yasiel Puig I [...]