When Puigs Fly… and Throw Too!

I have been amazed that many people over and over say that Yasiel “The Cannon” Puig was “obviously not ready and too green” and I am not anointing him as the Dodgers savior but talent always trumps experience.  Even Ray Charles could see that this kid is a special talent.  The people who say bringing up a kid too soon could crush his spirit and ruin him just don’t know what they don’t know.  The great ones aren’t wired like that.  They have a short memory – they forget their failures – learn from them and grow.  Yasiel Puig is a rare talent and has to play.   He will have his ups and downs, but he has to play.  Andre Ethier is on the market.  I still like Texas and Kinsler as a destination.

I know this will sound like heresy, but maybe the Dodgers should consider trading Ethier and Kemp.  Hold on – I like Matt Kemp, but what if the Dodgers could get a true CF and stud stater for him?  Something to contemplate… or would you trade Matt Kemp to the Yankees for Robinson Cano?

It’s a sad day in Indy after the baby Pacers were soundly spanked, but they are young and will be back and here’s the upside:  Lots of free agents want to come he an win a Championship.  They know the Paces are close.  J. Reddick, OJ Mayo and others will be lining up to come to Indy!

Headed to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for a business trip until Saturday.

67 Responses to “When Puigs Fly… and Throw Too!”

1. Mark Sweeney says:

A club has to have some excitement to be a winning club, now we have something exciting in the lineup, which means Donnie will most likely bench Puig tonight. Donnie has a knack for cooling off a hot hand by benching him the next day following a good game. Puig=excitement, Donnie=cluelessness.

I agree with you Mark, I think both Ethier and Kemp should be strongly considered for trades, but I don’t like the idea of Colletti being in the middle of the trade(s), he has a tendency to get duped in everything he touches, he gives away too much and receives too little in return, often also paying salaries for other teams. So timing is everything, no trades as long as Colletti is GM and no trades as long as Donnie is manager.

I have been posting for weeks that the Dodgers lacked any exciting players and any exciting plays, Puig gave us both last night.

I also don’t trust Jed in any trade scenarios.

Personally I am not ready to give up on Kemp. He is only 28. He can heal from this and give us 5 more productive years. I migh move him out of center. Maybe Puig can play that position. I don’t know.

You can bet your ass there will be a book on Puig in about 5 minutes. Major League pitchers, most of them anyway, can spot all their pitches. We’ll see if Puig can make the adjustments.

Ethier better start hitting or he is going to find himself without a job when Crawford and Kemp get back.

Agree with al about Fife. He looks like he can get outs for close to 7. If Lilly and Cap keep coughing up hairballs, might as well let the kid prove he can do it.

3. Watford Dodger says:

Nearly everyone on here said pre season that after ST he should have been with the big club.
    We could have ridden the energy & dynamism as Quas said in an yesterday’s thread.
    Now we are playing catch up big time. I know the injuries have been unfortunate but Puig & SVS have been tearing it up since the start of the season – couldn’t we have got them up earlier? We’ve needed momentum for weeks – why wait so long. Slumping players should be sent down sooner & replaced by those who are in form. It doesn’t matter what they’ve done in the past its what they are doing now that matters.

4. Watford Dodger says:

I’m hoping Chase Headley is getting comfy by that 3rd base bag at Dodger Stadium as I think he is the long term answer at 3rd. A free agent like him surely can’t see a future at Petco Park? Let em have any of our pitching or positional prospects as none of em are that good.
    He would make a difference and always plays well at Dodger Stadium and wouldn’t have to relocate.

5. Watford Dodger says:

Puig (Cuban) for Stanton anyone?

6. Bobbie17 says:

Ethier, yes. Kemp, no.

7. Corey says:

You can’t even consider trading Kemp. He’s in funk right now, but once he’s healthy and breaks out he’s is one of, if not the best position player in the game. That shoulder recovery doesn’t happen in a couple months. Remember A Gonzalez talking about it taking him until August of the following year to get his power back and feel comfortable again.
    Badger you are right about Ethier. I’ve always like him, but he is just not getting it done and other are.

8. Jae says:

I would trade Kemp for Felix Hernandez.

Kershaw
    Hernandez
    Greinke
    Ryun
    …and a cloud of dust!

9. Jae says:

Ryu, damn spell correct.

10. Kevin says:

Nobody cares about the pacers mark this is a baseball blog and I can assure you no good players want to move to Indiana!

11. jerry says:

i have been saying that about fife for awhile now..send mcgill back down..keep fife.. and puig has the speed for center field, and the arm,

I keep Kemp. This is a lost first half of the season for him. Plug him in for the second half, he should be ready by then.

Also, concerned about Crawford. He has done some nice hitting, and is signed for the next 4 seasons. He is hitting right at .300 and nice speed on the bases. I just hope he is getting stronger and his fielding picks up. He seems to need a 4th outfielder to spell him now and then and at the end of a game.

13. jerry says:

i am concerned about all the hamstring..i played ball and never streached .and never had a hamstring till i was 40..,these guy s are a bunch of wimps. i believe it is the weight training..which build muscle but muscle tare..

I was typing a genius response and .. .. poof, it disappeared.

I’ll try again, but genius only comes in short spurts these days.

Puig is not enough for Stanton. They will want pitching too. And don’t forget, as well as he played in ST, nobody had him in the top 40 as far as prospects are concerned. Somebody out there will offer a top 10 for him.

Kemp will get it figured out. He cares. Let him rest and get him ready for the second half.

Crawford may be a 130 game a year player now. Especially if we have him in the lead-off spot.

I am concerned about the hamstring virus too jerry. Somethin’ just ain’t right about that. These guys aren’t geezers. Falsone? Maybe.

In my world Ethier was gone right after that 3.8 WAR year. Now? I don’t know. He is playing his way to the bench and we will swallow an olive to move him.

15. Quasimodo says:

Well it sort of seems like having talent in the bank and not bringing them up relates close to being dealt pocket A’s and folding them because of the chance they might not hold. Puig would of been the depth Badger said we lacked. The 4th outfielder would of gotten plenty of playtime from jump. But oh well, Cheers all, its good to be back at Dodger Stadium, so lets put on our blue tinted glasses and gaze at the schedule. Its time for Dodger baseball!

I guess nobody wanted Puig on the bench. With Crawford, Kemp and Ethier on the field – who knew?

One more thing – I was rooting for the Pacers for one reason and it wasn’t Indiana. Ef Miami.

And….

I will go on record saying Hanley is coming back too early.

18. HawkeyeDodger says:

You don’t trade a guy with MVP potential like Kemp. The recovery time is 18 months on the surgery. Sure, give him less time and bat him 6th this year, but he should be full strength next season. Ethier’s days are numbered. Van Slyke is a good number #4 outfielder who can play 1st base too. They aren’t going to rush Pederson. Let’s hope Andre gets his swing back and the Dodgers can move him for a decent return.

19. dpwtv says:

I’d trade Ethier, but not Kemp. He needs time to recover.

There’s no guarantee that Puig will be able to recover once he goes through struggles in baseball… he hasn’t really gone through them yet.

I have high hopes, but he’s still young and he’s getting his first taste of the pros. We’ll see

20. Mark Sweeney says:

Tonight’s Starting Lineup:

1. RF: Yasiel Puig
    2. 2B: Mark Ellis
    3. 1B: Adrian Gonzalez
    4. SS: Hanley Ramirez
    5. LF: Scott Van Slyke
    6. 3B: Juan Uribe
    7. CF: Skip Schumaker
    8. C: Tim Federowicz
    9. SP: Ted Lilly

I’m sorry that I didn’t warn you before posting this lineup. Mattingly must have been replaced or didn’t make up the lineup because Puig back in the lineup after a great game last night, very unDonnie -like. Also, SVS in the lineup after going yard last night, also very unDonnie-like. Note absence of Ethier, Cruz, Punto and most of the other starters from last night. Don’t give me a defense of Donnie that he is matching the lineup to opposition pitching or any such thing, that isn’t Donnie’s style.

Looking at that lineup I would say the Dodgers are facing a lefthander tonight.

It wasn’t a mistake to send Puig to Chattanooga to start the season. How do we know that the time he spent in AA didn’t sharpen his skills, and help make his performance last night possible? Hopefully last night was a harbinger of things to come. But he still needs to get around the league, and it will take time to see if exposure sharpens his skills, or highlights his weaknesses. That’s the case with any young player. Also, we saw him last night against a not overly tough lefthander. What happens when he begins to face tough righthanders. He looks great, and I’m confident he will be very good, maybe very, very, very, very, very good. The tools appear to be there, and he looks to be a high energy guy, and he looked to be patient at the plate. But as is always the case, only time will tell.

I’m a big Kemp guy, and I’d only trade him if the return was outrageous. But I’d trade anyone if the return was outrageous. Even Kershaw. Van Slyke has surprised me. Looks like he has a more patient, deliberate approach at the plate. Maybe he’s just a late bloomer who took a long while to finally get it. But also, let’s not get too excited with him. He too could ultimately get exposed. I doubt if he turns out to be a long term starter, but maybe he has value as power bat off the bench who can also be valuable as a fill-in and occasional starter at the corners and at first base. Again, time will tell.

Ethier for Kinsler sounds intriguing. I haven’t seen much of Kinsler, but I’m confident that the Dodgers would be just fine with Crawford, Kemp and Puig in the outfield. Would Texas bite? I don’t know.

Kemp for Cano makes no sense. Cano is 2 years older, and is eligible for free agency this winter. If he does become a free agent the Dodgers could just sign him. Not even sure he would be a good sign, since he will be 31 in October, and too many years could be risky.

By the way, I made a stupid suggestion last night when I mentioned that the Dodgers needed a true centerfielder with Puig and Kemp on the corners with their cannon arms. Shows what can happen to the mind late at night when you haven’t had enough sleep. I forgot about Crawford and Ethier, especially Crawford. But no doubt, I wouldn’t mind a pure center fielder with Kemp on a corner.

That would be correct Badger. Padres throwing LHP, Clayton Richard.

Been watching some of the Women’s College World Series — on ESPN. Tonight could be the final game, Oklahoma is leading Tenn. 3 to zip. Great game last nigh, 15 innings, a classic with a walk-off HR in the 15.

25. Bball says:

So does quintin get hit by Lilly or is the whole thing squashed?

Kershaw to Houston for Cosart, Correa, McCullers and Dominguez (squeeze Singleton in there too). Let them pay him 200 milyun.

Chew on that one.

27. Mark Sweeney says:

Don’t tell me you are surprised RogtheDodge. There are cheats in everything, just like there are stupid assholes everywhere. There are just some people that can’t keep from cheating or being assholes. I have found that cheats have cheated in one way or another their entire life, and assholes have been assholes their entire life.

Puig gets another hit –

Tomorrow Ned will trade Puig to Minnesota for Jamey Carroll, so the Dodgers will have another infielder to add to his collection of infielders that weigh about 175 and are 5’11″

29. Rob says:

Lilly looks bad tonight. He is missing with his inside fastball over the middle of the plate.

In real time, just day after day, I would just like the team to get rid of:

Hairston
    Cruz
    Hernandez (when Ellis comes back)
    Ethier
    Lilly
    Beckett
    Capuano
    Maybe even, Guerrier and Punto, but I keep them a bit longer for the right trade.

Say, on the list that MLB has of some 20 or so others using the stuff . . .

Do you think any Dodgers or former Dodgers will be on the list???

Mark Ellis working his way down to where fangraphs projected him – .262.

33. Idaho al says:

This is getting close to the starting line up we should have for the 2nd half of the season. Crawford and Kemp in the outfield with SVS as the 4th outfielder. SVS can also play first. I like Ellis as our catcher. However, Fed Ex should stay. If we keep Hernandez when Ellis comes back, that will be on Colletti. Mattingly did not want Fed Ex sent back down the last time.

34. Rob says:

Shouldn’t be an error on Puig, Lilly needs to back that play.

Lilly needs to pack his bags. He’s no help.

Watching dbacks here. They should have won in 9 but a horrible call by third base ump Baker cost them a run. This dipshit ump also throws his chewed bubble gum out in left field at the end of every inning. I kid you not. Brenly is going nuts on this guy. Not a good year for umps b

35. Rob says:

Pppppppuuuuiiiiggggg!!!!!!

36. Rob says:

See ya eithier!!

37. jerry says:

seem like all the rookie.s are the one who are doing all the good ..get rid some of the veteran,s

38. Rob says:

Cruz and Hernandez definitely need to go.

With that insane contract Ethier is about to become the most expensive 4th outfielder in the history of history.

Changes will be made. There are some guys playing their way into and out of the lineup.

40. Bball says:

Badger were chasing them. That blown call helps us. Cheer up buddy

Just making a comment on a game Bball. I know we are behind them. They should have already won, but we have a good chance to gain a game.

And you may have noticed – I am the head cheerleader in this place! :)

41. Rob says:

Howell has been solid out of the pen

Howell has been very nice the past few outings, I agree.

I know it’s been 2 games, but Puig is must see tv. Can’t wait till he’s up again!

43. Rob says:

Cruz is finding spots to stay on the roster. Puig is fucking amazing!!!

Dear lord!!

Andre, if you need a ride to LAX, I’ll volunteer!

Wow.

46. Bball says:

I no badger just giving u a bad time. I can’t stop smiling. This is manny mania all over again

Excitement. This is exactly what this team needed. Perhaps this will light a fire under the whole team!

Well, I noted above that we still hadn’t seen Puig hit against a righthander. Well, he passed that test first time around. It’s early, but he’s looking awfully good. Great arm, speed and big time power. Get Kemp back healthy and hitting, get Hanley going, and so on and so forth, and maybe this team will start scoring. A win tonight and then again tomorrow, and the Dodgers would be out of last place. And if they can get hot against Western Division teams they could make up ground fast. Of course, I may be getting ahead of myself, but it really is early. After tonight there are 105 games left. That’s just under two-thirds of the season. Long way to go.

49. Rob says:

Eithier is feeling the pressure knowing he is done in LA. Caught looking at strike 3 with gonzo running, how pathetic.

Oh, one other thing. Money isn’t everything, but it sure doesn’t hurt. Does anyone around here think that Puig would be a Dodger if McCourt still owned the team?

Absolutely not.

Speaking of money, how much of that asinine contract that Jed gave Ethier will the Dodgers have to swallow?

51. Rob says:

No way, Puig would definitely be somewhere else.

52. Rob says:

So how much of eithiers contract will we have to eat in order to trade him?

Well, let’s see: Ned took a guy with $100 mil left on his deal 2 days after he had surgery, a broken down pitcher with $40 mil left on his deal, and asked for pennies in return.

This time, after signing Ethier to a 5 year, 85 mil deal just 10 months ago, Ned will send Ethier and about $40 mil to another team and not get much in return.

54. Quasimodo says:

Now we get great final outs.

55. Rob says:

Yes! When things are good everything looks good. We have had the opposite effect this year until now.

56. Gonzo says:

While one player will not put a team over the top, I feel that Puig has injected this team with a swagger that has them playing loose. As a result, these guys aren’t pressing and good things have happened these past two games. Now all we need is for Mattingly to give him the day off. The excitement that he has brought these two games have the feel of the Mannywood days.

Here’s a thought:

We all speculate of where to trade Ethier, and Texas is one of of the options because their outfield needs help. Well now with this news today of MLB ready to suspend a bunch of guys, I see Texas’ Nelson Cruz is on that list as well.

If this happens, this would mean Tex really needs an outfielder for the rest of the year! Could they need andre even more? Would Ned not have to bend over as much in the deal?

58. Rob says:

We can only hope bobby.

59. dpwtv says:

Puig has been amazing…. and I’m hopeful he’ll be able to continue hitting this well once he’s been scouted and they adjust to him. It’s been a phenomenal 2 games, but it’s been two games. Ethier has been slumping, but he’s not going anywhere until Crawford and Kemp are back and can stay healthy. He’ll be on this team at least a month.

It’s amazing how quick we turn on our stars when they slump. Ethier has been a solid player for us. He’s been slumping this year, but he’s been able to break out of it before, there’s no reason to think he can’t break out of it again. He’s a good hitter. He’s proven that throughout his entire career.

Of course, if Puig keeps hitting like he does, the Dodgers are going to be forced to make a decision. Having options is a good thing. Whether the front office makes the right decision, we’ll see. Until then, enjoy

The kid definitely isn’t ready. Not for this team anyway. In one night he equalled the output of Kemp and Ethier at Dodger Stadium this season. Who the hell does he think he is?

Do I remember Mark calling for a Stanton for Puig trade? Also a Z.Lee and others for Chase Headley? Headley is looking more pedestrian than ever.

“Lining up to come to Indy…” I almost spit my coffee. You know what NBA players love to do in Indy? Pack up their bags and go to a major city. Haha. Sorry to bust the mid west bubble.

I was never a big Headley guy, if only because last year was so far above his norm. He’s a good player, but probably not a star.

But Puig for Stanton is another matter. I believe Stanton has been hurt this year, so I wouldn’t take his current stats very seriously. He’s about the same age as Puig, and his numbers the last couple of years suggest super-stardom. Puig has that potential, and it’s looking early that he just might reach it. But two games does not a career make. Based on Stanton’s track record, and assuming that he’ll be completely healthy and there isn’t anything else adverse that we might learn later, I’d probably do that deal. Got to be careful about not getting swept up in the moment. Then again, it just might be six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I haven’t checked on what Zach Lee is doing lately, but I am hopeful that he will ultimately turn out to be at least a solid middle of the rotation guy, and maybe better. The problem with a player like Lee is that the early expectations tend to cloud our judgment when the player doesn’t immediately reach those lofty expectations. Let’s not forget that Lee is not all that far removed from high school. Last I looked he was doing pretty well this year. Just because he isn’t Kershaw doesn’t mean that he’s just chopped liver. Could be that he might be ready to turn a corner, and maybe not. I’m hopeful.